PDA

View Full Version : Retro-ho.

perci
9th February 2006, 10:22 PM
All this talk of old clubs including Jacks Bag along with Bris'vegas'es opinion
I went back in time today and picked up a set of PING EYE 2s 3 to sw in mint condition for $250 there orange dot but I will have to live with that.Looking closely at them they are a work of art and would not look out of place in todays market [ ie way before their time] give us your view guys.

connico
9th February 2006, 10:39 PM
Now you just need a bullseye putter...

Moe Norman
9th February 2006, 10:41 PM
theres not much new technology (last 5 years) that catches my eye.

As of today I currently only have 2 clubs in my bag that are newer than 5 years. Putter and Hybrid, though i think the Mizuno Driver will be back in the bag next week.

perci
9th February 2006, 10:43 PM
I've got two old Scotty Cameron Phantom Mallets do'es that count.

perci
9th February 2006, 10:45 PM
theres not much new technology (last 5 years) that catches my eye.

As of today I currently only have 2 clubs in my bag that are newer than 5 years. Putter and Hybrid, though i think the Mizuno Driver will be back in the bag next week.

What about the Srixons!

markTHEblake
9th February 2006, 10:50 PM
Ping Eye 2's are not retro. Ping still sell them as brand new gear, same price as the latest irons.

I know where i can get a bunch of Titleist Balatas, they have gone a bit yellow though

Moe Norman
9th February 2006, 10:50 PM
What about the Srixons! gaaaawn.

lofts too strong and long irons launch a tad high. Great clubs, just a big change from the Hogan Blades - still in the garage though. Weakening them is still an option but for the moment I've picked up a set of TM 300 series forged in mint condition. Thee have Rifle 6.0 as well, but are 1/2" over and 2* upright which is perfect for me.

perci
9th February 2006, 11:03 PM
Must admit TM 300s rule,I wish I could find a decent set ,the sole grind is as good as t gets,if only the short irons stopped better

perci
9th February 2006, 11:07 PM
Ping Eye 2's are not retro. Ping still sell them as brand new gear, same price as the latest irons.

I know where i can get a bunch of Titleist Balatas, they have gone a bit yellow though

What bargain then 9 clubs for the price of 2! plus they threw in a zing 2 iron.

Moe Norman
9th February 2006, 11:12 PM
Perci: these things are mint, hardly used and alway had iron covers.

picked 'em up cheaper than the Srixons too. I'll get my $380 back pretty easy as well.

Jarro
10th February 2006, 07:20 AM
Must admit TM 300s rule,I wish I could find a decent set ,the sole grind is as good as t gets,if only the short irons stopped better

don't even think about it mate :smt018

BrisVegas
10th February 2006, 08:42 AM
I went back in time today and picked up a set of PING EYE 2s 3 to sw in mint condition for $250 there orange dot but I will have to live with that.Looking closely at them they are a work of art and would not look out of place in todays market [ ie way before their time] give us your view guys.

LOL, I'm only going retro because I need the forgiveness of my old 855s again. they were "state of the art" in 1996 though! :smt002 Not much changes with irons, IMO. Each one goes a certain distance, that's it...

3 woods aren't changing much either, as they're typically still made out of steel and a reasonable size so you can hit em off the deck.

Drivers, putters and wedges are where the most dramatic changes seem to be occurring. Oh and the new hybrid clubs I guess.

Let me know if you wanna borrow the Bullseye for a while for a retro-flashback!

Ona
10th February 2006, 11:41 AM
Bah. If your gonna go retro you might as well go all the way.

http://www.ironfinder.com/images/sm/406_A.jpg

perci
10th February 2006, 06:05 PM
That looks like something I use to clean the BBQ.

990B Luva
13th February 2006, 04:05 PM
hey Perci... i have a set of Eye 2 3-SW in the cupboard... Orange Dot as well........ i have to agree that these are pure irons but i just cant wait for SMTs (when i get the money)

BrisVegas
13th February 2006, 04:21 PM
hey Perci... i have a set of Eye 2 3-SW in the cupboard... Orange Dot as well........ i have to agree that these are pure irons but i just cant wait for SMTs (when i get the money)

Can I just put my "opinion" on record as saying that buying a set of SMT (or any other brand) blades is a BAD idea and the wrong thing to do at your level of golf. You'd be better served using those Eye 2's.

andylo
13th February 2006, 04:26 PM

Orange = flat or up 2 degree?

connico
13th February 2006, 04:27 PM
i just picked up some raven blades for free..old school raven blades..ho ho ho..hheeh dont think i can hit them but lol :)

990B Luva
14th February 2006, 05:16 PM
Alo, Orange dot is 2* flat

McMw
14th February 2006, 05:41 PM
I've got a set of the I2+ orange dot in Perth...wonder if it's still here...
my first "branded" iron set - think it's regular flex steel shaft...

I know I took it out once for a hit after not using them for yonks - hated the feel...

but now I wonder if it was just my bad swing at that time...can't wait to go and have a hit with them again!!! :mrgreen:

BrisVegas
15th February 2006, 08:34 AM
i just picked up some raven blades for free..old school raven blades..ho ho ho..hheeh dont think i can hit them but lol :)

Well, when you finished with them, ho ho ho them to 990BLuva, he's got a serious blade fascination at the moment...

BrisVegas
15th February 2006, 08:59 AM
Talk about retro.... saw this on golfwrx (freddiec posted it). It's the same as the Tommy Armour 945 that Jack Nicklaus used back in his day! Looks scary now eh??

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5135/tommyarmourdriver6xr.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tommyarmourdriver6xr.jpg)