PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Augusta Memory

Craig_Syd
7th April 2014, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys,

Just getting in the mood for the best week of the year! What are you favourite memories from The Masters tournament?

Obviously for most of us last year will be a memory we will never forget but mine would have to be the back 9 charge by Jack Nicklaus in 1986. It was the first time I really became aware of how great the game of golf can be....

JADO75
7th April 2014, 03:27 PM
Adam Scott shouting out C'mon Aussie, it doesn't get any better than that

Captain Nemo
7th April 2014, 03:30 PM
Rory's '11 meltdown, so reminiscent of most of my weekend rounds...

Dotty
7th April 2014, 03:30 PM
Same as every year ... Black coffee and buttered raisin toast.

BGH
7th April 2014, 03:34 PM
Obviously for most of us last year will be a memory we will never forget but mine would have to be the back 9 charge by Jack Nicklaus in 1996.

I am guessing you mean 1986 as his tied 41st place finish in 96 probably wasn't that memorable.

Going to be hard for any Aussie to say something other than this.

Slothman
7th April 2014, 03:37 PM

This was brilliant....just a couple of things to add...

- Marc Leishman in the background pumping his fist when Adam screams that.

- When he screamed comeon Auzzie it was in the face of a New Zealander.....gold.

I was late for work that day...told the boss get stuffed. I was cheering and yelling when he sunk those two putts.....

Craig_Syd
7th April 2014, 03:38 PM
I am guessing you mean 1986 as his tied 41st place finish in 96 probably wasn't that memorable.

Going to be hard for any Aussie to say something other than this.

Yeah sorry, typo....!

3oneday
7th April 2014, 03:42 PM
Tigers chip in from over the back on 16, no idea what year but assume before he got caught dipping his wick.

Craig_Syd
7th April 2014, 03:52 PM
Even though I hate Phil that shot he hit from the right trees on 13 in I think 2010 was pretty awesome!

sms316
7th April 2014, 04:49 PM
Fred Couples' ball staying up on 12 in 1992, and his nonchalant effort flicking balls out of Rae's Creek after he hit his chip.

sms316
7th April 2014, 04:52 PM
Even though I hate Phil that shot he hit from the right trees on 13 in I think 2010 was pretty awesome! Bill Macatee's commentary added to it to. Just like Vern Lundquist calling Nicklaus on 17 in 1986 (maybe, yes sir!), and Jim Nantz's final shot calls each year.

Ferrins
7th April 2014, 05:02 PM
Every bunker moment.

sms316
7th April 2014, 05:02 PM
Here's a random one;

1998 (I think) final round, with Jose Maria Olazabal and Tom Lehman going at it. 9th hole, and the pin was cut in the usual front spot and they both hit their second shots to the safe spot - 40ft past and right but on the green.

Despite being the safe play it is a feral putt, breaking about 20ft. One of those putts where they have their back to the hole.

And they both lipped out. Two best missed putts that I can remember (with an honorable mention to Greg Normal on the 72nd hole in 1987).

Coldtopper
7th April 2014, 05:04 PM
Larry's lazy chip, Faldos drive, Stadlers second out of a divot and Scott's effort the play off hole for me is the best!!!

Craig_Syd
7th April 2014, 05:05 PM
What about standing on the first tee, spraying one right of the bunker looking over at the older gentleman acting as the starter and saying "is that out of bounds" only to have him say in his best southern American accent, "Ain't no out of bounds on this course boy"......

spanner039
7th April 2014, 05:10 PM
Sandy Lyles bunker shot on 18 in '88 + the fact he got there with a 1 iron.

Wasn't allowed to watch it from the Woodlands grounds shed so pretended to change holes on the practice putter for about 2 hours while i partly watched it from the proshop.

Every year fails to disappoint

Craig_Syd
7th April 2014, 05:15 PM
Here's a random one;

1998 (I think) final round, with Jose Maria Olazabal and Tom Lehman going at it. 9th hole, and the pin was cut in the usual front spot and they both hit their second shots to the safe spot - 40ft past and right but on the green.

Despite being the safe play it is a feral putt, breaking about 20ft. One of those putts where they have their back to the hole.

And they both lipped out. Two best missed putts that I can remember (with an honorable mention to Greg Normal on the 72nd hole in 1987).Jose Maria is awesome! I love watching him go round...

Captain Nemo
7th April 2014, 05:33 PM
Can never get enough of these images....

mike
7th April 2014, 06:08 PM
Tigers chip in from over the back on 16, no idea what year but assume before he got caught dipping his wick. This one. Going toe to toe with Chris Dimarco. Amazing moment.

Dotty
7th April 2014, 06:30 PM
Commentators writing off Tiger Woods on day 1 in 1997, when he was 4 over after 9 holes.

He then played the next back nine in 30, on the way to multiple records and his first major.

Webster
7th April 2014, 06:30 PM
http://www.okmoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/92.gif

talbo
7th April 2014, 07:03 PM

^this

Courty
7th April 2014, 07:16 PM
http://www.sportsbet.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/MastersScott.jpg

sms316
7th April 2014, 07:24 PM
While it is good that an Australian has finally won, Scott's win will always be tarnished due to anchoring.

Webster
7th April 2014, 07:34 PM
Correct Shaun.

markTHEblake
7th April 2014, 08:18 PM
The Larry Mize chip in, Not that I enjoyed it, but that it is the most memorable. Especially as the boss sent me into the staff room to keep him updated, and when I explained Norman had it in the bag because Mize was screwed the boss said " he will chip it in". From that moment the gut feeling was that he would.

Courty
7th April 2014, 08:36 PM
While it is good that an Australian has finally won, Scott's win will always be tarnished due to anchoring.

Correct Shaun.

There's another thread for that debate. Please keep it there.

dc68
7th April 2014, 08:38 PM
Rolling on the 1st fairway without getting kicked out in '08

sms316
7th April 2014, 08:39 PM
There's another thread for that debate. Please keep it there. It's entirely relevant here.

sms316
7th April 2014, 08:40 PM
And shouldn't you be posting about the year Constantino Rocca made the cut?

Ron Burgundy
7th April 2014, 09:06 PM
It's entirely relevant here. Really? So your favourite Augusta memory is a feeling of melancholy because your hang up over an equipment technicality prevents you from fully embracing Scotty's magnificent victory. That's just sad.

Trento
7th April 2014, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Craig_Syd:
Even though I hate Phil that shot he hit from the right trees on 13 in I think 2010 was pretty awesome!
Bill Macatee's commentary added to it to. Just like Vern Lundquist calling Nicklaus on 17 in 1986 (maybe, yes sir!), and Jim Nantz's final shot calls each year.

Jim Nantz is an absolute homo!

Johnny Canuck
7th April 2014, 09:54 PM
Can't argue with this list. Especially #1.

http://youtu.be/1gAnwAdRpaE

Pencil
7th April 2014, 10:12 PM
Mike Weir #1, who are they kidding.

Gw 86
7th April 2014, 10:15 PM
While it is good that an Australian has finally won, Scott's win will always be tarnished due to anchoring.poor call should everyone be back playing with ballatas or hickory sticks ? It wasn't illegal when he won so how is it tarnished . Everybody tries to get the best of the get available to them I don't see how this is any different .

Shortylook
7th April 2014, 10:16 PM
+1

WBennett
7th April 2014, 10:49 PM
Obvious troll is obviousms

TheNuclearOne
7th April 2014, 11:00 PM
Fred Couples' ball staying up on 12 in 1992, and his nonchalant effort flicking balls out of Rae's Creek after he hit his chip.

Great one. From memory it was the only ball that held up all week.

Johnny Canuck
7th April 2014, 11:39 PM
Mike Weir #1.

You are a good man, Pencil.

Craig_Syd
7th April 2014, 11:40 PM
Mike Weir #1, who are they kidding. Definitely sport center from Canada!!!

sms316
8th April 2014, 06:13 AM
Really? So your favourite Augusta memory is a feeling of melancholy because your hang up over an equipment technicality prevents you from fully embracing Scotty's magnificent victory. That's just sad. That and the "c'mon Aussie" call was a bit of a wank IMO. Of course I always wanted an Australian to win but doing it with an anchored putter just tarnished it a little.

SundayHack
8th April 2014, 06:54 AM
Other then last year. I would say 2011 when Scott and Day finished 2nd and Ogilvie was there abouts but it was Charl Schwartzel that stole the show. Birdies the last 4 to break every Australian's hearts once again. Day birdies 4 of the last 7 usually that would be good enough.... Maybe this year Scott can hand over the jacket to Day. Now wouldn't that be something

matty
8th April 2014, 06:58 AM
The putt of Scott's dropping in on 18 last year would have to be it for me.

Jarro
8th April 2014, 07:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1p8TBCjYB0

Has to be this doesn't it ?

talbo
8th April 2014, 09:39 AM
^ Not only a great moment in The Masters but a great moment in Australian sports history regardless of the putter that was (and still is currently) legal!

Monsta
8th April 2014, 10:17 AM
Definately Adams win last year, until another Aussie dons the green jacket there will never be a better moment.

Close second for me would be Bubba's massive hook shot from the "jungle" on the second playoff hole in 2012

sms316
8th April 2014, 10:21 AM
^ Not only a great moment in The Masters but a great moment in Australian sports history regardless of the putter that was (and still is currently) legal! Legal but not ethical, which is backed up by the fact they will be outlawed shortly.

BrettM
8th April 2014, 10:23 AM
Getting the message from a late member at Augusta who was the owner of a club I was working at to be at his hanger at the airport at 6.00am. Board the private plane, fly to Augusta, driven to the course and told to be back here at 5.00pm for the flight home.

Walking in to the club for the first time.

Seeing how open the golf course is.

Seeing the elevation changes.

Seeing how wide the fairways are.

Touring through the maintenance facilities.

Too many experiences to list a favourite. It is an amazing place and one of the best run sporting events you will ever attend.

goughy
8th April 2014, 10:24 AM
Sms needs a new tune. It's sounding like the backing track to an old rundmc song.

Tongueboy
8th April 2014, 10:35 AM
all of Norman's chokes!

Gollfer69
8th April 2014, 10:39 AM
This one did it for me.

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/DC/934FC5B549B941580FB62239D5659.jpg

androooo
8th April 2014, 11:17 AM
My favourite memory is a weird one... the playoff in 1987.

I was at primary school, grade 4.... the bell had already rung, but the teacher said who cares, we're watching the golf.

Mize holes the pitch shot, teachers mouth drops, mutters something like "You're f**king kidding" and TV goes off

Waddzy
8th April 2014, 11:32 AM
Mine was last years due to it being the first Masters I have watched being my first year playing golf.. but watching Scotty drop that putt and scream Cmon Aussie was fantastic, it also led to long meeting with our HR lady after I jumped up yelling you F'ing beauty in the office..

I cant wait to watch again this year and have Monday off work to make sure I don't miss it.

Dotty
8th April 2014, 06:11 PM
It was a pity that Angel Cabrera couldn't have won also.

I love the way that guy plays and conducts himself.

Jarro
8th April 2014, 06:13 PM

Agree Dotty.

I would have been happy with either he or Adam winning.

jimandr
8th April 2014, 08:26 PM
I've given this a bit of thought because I wanted to concentrate on positive memories rather than negative ones. But the sad truth is that the failures stick in my mind more than the triumphs. My favourite positives have already been mentioned though. Nicklaus in 86, Sandy lyle in 88, Tiger's chip on 16, Mickelson's miracle from the trees and also Bubba's miracle from the trees.

One of my negatives is also a bit of a strange positive. Not only will I always recall Norman's meltdown from 6 in front, but I also remember Nick Faldo's classy reaction by giving Norman a hug and some kind words. Faldo is normally a tosser, but he wasn't that day.

My other big negative is lost in the mists of time a bit, because I can't even remember which golfer it was. It was either Curtis Strange or Chip Beck (or maybe both of them) who was leading and laid up on both the back nine par 5's. The ultimate gutless decision, which backfired.

sms316
8th April 2014, 08:28 PM
It was Chip Beck.

Webster
8th April 2014, 08:36 PM
It was Chip Beck.

Chip Beck was never in the lead.

Gollfer69
8th April 2014, 08:39 PM

I'm jumping on the big guy this year..$67...overs.

Hooker
8th April 2014, 09:16 PM
Sms needs a new tune. It's sounding like the backing track to an old rundmc song.

Might also be a case of OCD.

Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Obsessions are involuntary, seemingly uncontrollable thoughts, images, or impulses that occur over and over again in your mind. You don’t want to have these ideas but you can’t stop them. Unfortunately, these obsessive thoughts are often disturbing and distracting.

Webster
8th April 2014, 09:18 PM
Nice to see you maintaining your rage Hooker.

Hooker
8th April 2014, 09:31 PM

Like a needle getting stuck on an old record, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) causes the brain to get stuck on a particular thought or urge.

damoocow
8th April 2014, 10:09 PM
My other big negative is lost in the mists of time a bit, because I can't even remember which golfer it was. It was either Curtis Strange or Chip Beck (or maybe both of them) who was leading and laid up on both the back nine par 5's. The ultimate gutless decision, which backfired.

Interesting - I really liked seeing Johnson win in 2007 using the lay up strategy.

Dcanto
8th April 2014, 10:40 PM
One of my favourite memories is witnessing the duel between Greg Norman and Jose Maria Olazabal in the final round of the 1999 Masters. Not quite a 'duel in the sun' but still exciting to watch.

jimandr
9th April 2014, 12:14 AM
Interesting - I really liked seeing Johnson win in 2007 using the lay up strategy.

It is definitely one of the great things about golf. The eventual result determines whether the strategy was correct or not. Other posts have prompted me to recall that Chip Beck was tied for the lead and needed a birdie. He was in range, but decided not to go for it.

Anyway, we can relive Zach's win on Fox tomorrow. They are playing the highlight films from the last 10 years. I was just watching Mickelson's 2004 win. Gee that was a good tourney. Phil never lays up, and of course there have been times in his career when he should have done so.

mrbluu
9th April 2014, 12:56 AM
The eventual result determines whether the strategy was correct or not.

I couldn't disagree with you more!!!

For me it was definitely Scotty's win last year. It made it sweeter they way both he and Angel conducted themselves. The Norman and Jose battle was awesome as well. For me the masters is definitely the best major in golf.

matty
9th April 2014, 04:59 AM
It made it sweeter they way both he and Angel conducted themselves.

Yeah, that was really good to see.

Dotty
9th April 2014, 05:07 AM
Didn't Chip Beck stuff up his 3rd at 15 and go into (or very close to) the pond at the back?

Craig_Syd
9th April 2014, 11:03 AM
Watched Phil's win in 2004 on Fox last night, he and Ernie played so well down the stretch... Phil's tee shot on 13 was a pumped fade deep round the corner, such a ballsy shot! Phil was so lucky DiMarco gave him a perfect read on 18 to win the title... I can smell the Azalea's! Almost time......

Mububban
9th April 2014, 09:47 PM
Only been into golf for 2 years so Scott's win last year is it for me. Getting to see an Aussie win it was awesome, especially because my boss is also a golfing tragic. When Scott got into the playoff I sms-ed him to say I'd be late due to watching the golf, and his reply was "keep me updated with scores" :D

It's the only week of the year I actually look forward to losing sleep. Also having the kids cuddle up with me on the couch when they inevitably wake up is pretty nice too :)

Ron Burgundy
12th April 2014, 06:06 AM
Fred Couples' ball staying up on 12 in 1992, and his nonchalant effort flicking balls out of Rae's Creek after he hit his chip. He's done it again. Unbelievable.