PDA

View Full Version : At What Age to Start as a Junoir

Hatchman
6th April 2014, 10:11 PM
Been giving it a bit of thought recently about what age should I starting taking my daughter out to try an hit a few balls as she's expressed a slight interest in the game.
She's seven now. I think I was around 9-10 when I started going to golf with dad and didn't start hitting balls and playing holes until I was 11-12.

Interested in what ages others that have kids started just having a few hits and what age were they good enough to play to around a 36 hip?

Captain Nemo
6th April 2014, 10:31 PM
Earlier the better.
My sons being hitting balls since he was 3, he's now turned 7
Now he's out back putting most nights, and starting to hit balls at the range with me.

androooo
7th April 2014, 12:07 AM
Got my little boy a putter and 9 iron when he was 3. Never pushed him... If he wanted to whack a ball around, fine. Now at age 5, he'll pull the putter out and putt on the carpet.

Start them off with as much loft as possible, and a putter. Teach them how to chip and putt and the loft is good for the confidence. Its not fun when every shot goes along the ground.

Mububban
7th April 2014, 01:05 PM
My 3 and 5 year old have been coming with me to the range for the last 18 months or so with their little clubs. I don't push them, if they want to collect sticks and make a little campfire, that's fine :) But they love going to the proper range with some real range balls and giving them a bash, and they like having a bit of a putt. All very casual, just making it one of many normal things we do sometimes. I'll take the 5.5 year old with me in a cart some time soon for 9 holes, the cart ride should be an adventure and she can have a hit on the tee and a putt if the course is quiet :)

Gw 86
7th April 2014, 01:24 PM
I take my 2 year old to the range he will hit a couple then play with his cars . But if we go for a putt he loves it and will play as long as I am. He celebrates when anybody sinks a putt on tv . Doesn't matter if it's 50 ft or 5 inches it's all the same to him

Coldtopper
12th April 2014, 12:37 PM
Whilst most kids dont have the motor skills to hit a golf ball consistently until they reach 10. Depending on physical factors this may alter a few years. I believe that kids should be about 12 before playing golf by themselves as I have seen far too many serious accidents and a fatality involving a 11yo. Golf courses are dangerous places. That said I held junior clinics, days, comps for under 10's. Teaching these kids that playing golf = fun whilst teaching the basic fundamentals including basic course rules, weight transfer, aim, chipping, putting and the 10 finger baseball grip. My daughter turns 7 this year and we have just started the process she sometimes hits a few in the paddock and we played 9 in a cart last week, She only putted out. Its great fun and I cant wait to we win in our first comp in years to come.

spanner039
12th April 2014, 01:15 PM
Nice CT, I forgot to leave out the irons for CT Jnr next week maybe?

Its great to play with your kids my son started when he was about 3 and we had some great times at Healesville, he could hit it pretty good when he stopped playing at 10 - burnt out perhaps, he even qualified for the Vic Schools championships that were held at woodlands shot 96 and as a 9 year old commented on why my course is not as good as woodlands, then refused to play anything but sand belt!

Now given up, i say washed up. Partly due to a pushy parent that took the fun out of it.

Just make it fun at any age and everything else will fall into place.

BUSHY
12th April 2014, 02:39 PM
My daughter is almost 5. She started copying me with a plastic set around 1, she graduated to a real junior set for xmas at 3.5 and we're out putting on the green in the backyard most arvo's at her behest. She's the one pestering me to go and have putting comps. We do the range together and occasionally get a cart and go on the course when its quiet. She wants to start doing the junior clinics in the morning on Saturdays so when the weather fines up she'll start. Depending on her 'actual' interest after that I'll get her some proper one-on-one coaching and see how she goes and if she likes it. I think my club has graded groups for juniors depending on their level of skill/age. When they get to a level deemed by the junior coordinator they progress to the next level.

Coldtopper
13th April 2014, 03:15 PM
After posting yesterday I noticed a few clinics for under 10's advertised. Whilst great to have a round or just smack a few with your kids. IMO I think parents should not coach or try to teach their kids golf it always ends the same.
If we all can introduce 2 kids to the game golf may have a chance of a prosperous future.
BTW... Im looking forward to reaching senior qualification as my son will be 12/13 yo the perfect caddy age and will be my way of introducing golf to him if he wants to play before then we will see. O/S trips without the girls nothing wrong with that.

sms316
13th April 2014, 05:38 PM
I think that they are old enough when they can spell "junior".

simmsy
13th April 2014, 05:52 PM
So 5?

3oneday
13th April 2014, 06:56 PM
I think that they are old enough when they can spell "junior".:lol:

liptout
13th April 2014, 08:16 PM
I've been taking my young bloke to the range or the putting green for a couple of years I suppose. But when he was younger I kinda felt bad about beating and flogging him when he hit a slice of a thin shot or something.

Now that he's 5 though, I don't feel as bad cause I know turning him into a flushing machine with a robot swing will full fill all my golfing dreams!!

;)

Mububban
13th April 2014, 10:27 PM
I believe that kids should be about 12 before playing golf by themselves as I have seen far too many serious accidents and a fatality involving a 11yo. Golf courses are dangerous places.

What the heck happened there? :(

I saw two boys on course today, maybe 8-10 years old, playing together unsupervised and I thought it was great to see.