PDA

View Full Version : Compact digital camera options??

goughy
3rd April 2014, 08:05 AM
If it was an slr it'd be no mystery to me what I'd get. But I know next to nothing about compacts. We've got an old 5mp one which would be fine but doesn't take very nice shots. I'm thinking of something the kids can use easily as well, and am thinking it could be something Jas takes to her sydney/camberra school camp later this year.

I'd like to look at something at least splash resistant (prefer something submergable though) and drop resistant too. I reckon something with lots of transfer options too, so maybe it could bluetooth to a phone for facebook etc. While our house are canon whores, I've really got no particular brand requirements.

I haven't looked at dpreview yet, thought I might narrow some options down first. Cost is a factor as I don't wanna spend a bucket on a camera for the kids to knock around. But the feature set I'm thinking of might bump the price higher. I have no idea. Since we have an slr, I'm thinking we should be looking on the small size. Must have some level of optical zoom, though wouldn't have to be huge.

Mububban
3rd April 2014, 01:25 PM
My sister was asking the same, I'm an SLR man so don't know much either. An SLR friend bought one of the new style with the compact body but small interchangeable lenses, and he loves it. Are you considering those, or only the really compact style?

For what it's worth, Choice did a group test in November. If you want to the whole report PM me and I'll send it to you, wouldn't let me upload the PDF