PDA

View Full Version : Rakes in bunkers

highballin
1st April 2014, 09:26 PM
Why are rakes placed in bunkers instead of outside them ?

Can't see the point in putting rakes in bunkers.

Dotty
1st April 2014, 09:31 PM
Rakes outside the bunkers are a nuisance for greenkeepers, as they have to get off the mowers to move and replace them.

Rakes in the bunker remind novices to repair their damage.

Coldtopper
1st April 2014, 09:33 PM
Agree 100%. They introduced rakes in the 30''s from memory in the US whilst the UK played nude to the 40s, As more courses got built on clay these courses didnt have natural sand. These days with all the mod cons assisting golfers to remove rakes would be good provided they have decent sand. You should leave a rake in the middle of bunker once done

Gw 86
1st April 2014, 09:41 PM
At my club rake is left outside of the bunker and to the outside of the fairway /green

Coldtopper
1st April 2014, 09:46 PM
Suppose I cant remember where I actually put the rake as generally it gets snapped and chucked somewhere!

highballin
1st April 2014, 09:48 PM
Rakes outside the bunkers are a nuisance for greenkeepers, as they have to get off the mowers to move and replace them.

Rakes in the bunker remind novices to repair their damage.

I can see they might be a nuisance to green keepers but not convinced about reminding novices or experienced golfers for that matter to rake.

Yossarian
1st April 2014, 09:49 PM
A bunker is a hazard. You are not meant to hit it in hazards. The rake should go there.

Coldtopper
1st April 2014, 09:50 PM
Here you go for a old thread!
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/16371-Bunker-Rakes

highballin
1st April 2014, 10:06 PM
Here you go for a old thread!
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/16371-Bunker-Rakes

Good link says it all really !

damoocow
1st April 2014, 11:06 PM
Rakes, like carts should be banned from golf courses.

markTHEblake
1st April 2014, 11:16 PM
If they are in the bunkers the greenkeepers still have to get off the raking machine to move and replace them.

Golfnut
2nd April 2014, 12:30 AM
We went through a strange phase at my club going back a few months.....each month it changed from in to out, back to in and now out again.....now nobody really knows WTF to do anymore...

Veefore
2nd April 2014, 12:34 AM
For most courses the raking machine is the thing that rides on the mower.
From memory, when I did the review for my club it takes on average two hours more to mow the course if the rakes are placed outside the bunkers. That's a lot of hours over the whole of the year.

LarryLong
2nd April 2014, 08:19 AM
Rakes, like carts should be banned from golf courses.

+1

I'd love to see my course do away with the rakes. This would stop the grumpy types from making a fuss every time they get a bad lie in a bunker they shouldn't have hit their ball into in the first place.