PDA

View Full Version : The perfect fairway wood - does it exist ??

Pinglauncher
9th February 2006, 02:32 PM
After much trial and tribulation I have discovered that as far as fairway woods go anything less than 15* is useless for me as my swing speed simply does not give me enough height / distance. 16* - 17* seems almost perfect.

I have been looking for a fairway that is good off the tee and also off the fairway.

I have a TM 200 Tour "SMOOTHY" 4 wood which is great off tee and fairway but the head is OH SO SMALL !!!! and to my failing eyesight looks like an olive on the end of a fishing rod. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I bought an Adams Ovation 4 wood which is sensational off the deck but off the tee is like hitting a wedge.

Is there anything out there that is the perfect mix of both.

BrisVegas
9th February 2006, 02:34 PM
Titleist 904F 17deg.

Trung
9th February 2006, 02:38 PM
Vsteel 5 Wood.... You want to have a test Ping?

andylo
9th February 2006, 02:42 PM
The perfect fairway wood - does it exist ??

No... and I hate it when I have to hit one :lol:

connico
9th February 2006, 03:04 PM
vsteel 5 wood, ill give you a test lol :)

Trung
9th February 2006, 03:07 PM
Connico... Happy for you to test... but one little mark on the crown and I would expect you to buy it... :smt002 :mrgreen:

rick3003
9th February 2006, 03:08 PM
Adams 4060. The BSG'ers are raving. Yet to see one here in OZ. They go on about how it is great off the tee and off the deck.

Has anybody seen these here?

andylo
9th February 2006, 03:12 PM
Ovation 4060 or Redline 4060?

Got a Redline Tour and the profile is about 4060. (40% tee, 60% fairway)

I have a 2080 Ovation 5 wood too

3oneday
9th February 2006, 03:15 PM
Ovation 4060 or Redline 4060?

Got a Redline Tour and the profile is about 4060. (40% tee, 60% fairway)

I have a 2080 Ovation 5 wood too20% tee and 80% fairway ?? :p

You serious Andy ???

andylo
9th February 2006, 03:16 PM
its a very very low profile head.... lower than the redline tour LP

McMw
9th February 2006, 03:30 PM
got a cleveland quadpro dualrail in the bag...
when I first got it, I couldn't hit it at all, and was looking for a quick sale - but no go...

put it back in the bag after I had no luck with the TPs (and sold the 14º) - needed a fairway wood in the bag...stuck the dualrail in the bag, and bang...works all of a sudden!!!

off the tee, I managed to crack one to just short of a 270yarder par 4 off the tee (would have finished on the green if I could get an extra 5yard carry to clear the bunker up front)...
off the deck last weekend, I managed to crack my 2nd shot, which finished just past pin high on a par5...never thought I could have done it with a 16º fairway...

look for a lowprofile fairway wood if you're planning to hit plenty off the deck...

Pinglauncher
9th February 2006, 04:13 PM

I'm a "regular" guy Trung. Stiff may not be a valid test for me.

Trung
9th February 2006, 04:16 PM
Ping,... ok mate....

990B Luva
9th February 2006, 04:19 PM
i have Jarros old 200 tour 3 wood.... its pure..... when i get it to go low not jarro driver height

Trung
9th February 2006, 04:20 PM
990B, u paid for it yet? ;)

990B Luva
9th February 2006, 04:24 PM
yea... jarro made me pay for it before i got it :)

rick3003
9th February 2006, 04:24 PM
Here is a pic of the 4060

Jarro
9th February 2006, 08:41 PM
yea... jarro made me pay for it before i got it :)

:lol: :lol:

... you thinking of selling it Brett ???? ;)

Pinglauncher
10th February 2006, 08:24 AM
Has anyone hit the Mizuno MP-001 ??

They seem to be going cheap at the moment with R300 and their 4 wood is 16.5*.

Jarro
10th February 2006, 07:09 PM
PL .. are you thinking of selling the TM 200 4 wood ;)

Pinglauncher
10th February 2006, 08:22 PM
PL .. are you thinking of selling the TM 200 4 wood ;)

Probably not :^o

Maybe :smt101

Don't know :smt017

If I could find something with the same ball flight, distance etc but with a normal sized head I would definately sell.

I will keep looking for "THE" club. It must be out there somewhere.

Jarro
10th February 2006, 08:23 PM
keep me in mind if you ever do decide to sell it won't you ;)

Pinglauncher
10th February 2006, 08:27 PM
keep me in mind if you ever do decide to sell it won't you ;)

Will do mate :smt023

Pinglauncher
11th February 2006, 07:57 PM

Seriously considering the VSteel Trung. Face height seems not too shallow and not too deep so should be good off deck and tee. How does the stock shaft play.

Do I look at 16.5* 4 wood and keep the RM #3 in the bag (19*) or go with a 5 wood and leave my next club as the RM #4 (22*).

Too many goddam choices.

Trung
11th February 2006, 08:06 PM
Seriously considering the VSteel Trung. Face height seems not too shallow and not too deep so should be good off deck and tee. How does the stock shaft play.

Do I look at 16.5* 4 wood and keep the RM #3 in the bag (19*) or go with a 5 wood and leave my next club as the RM #4 (22*).

Too many goddam choices.

the stock shaft is working well for me.... The distance between a 3 and a 5 wood is so close.

Due to the fact that the 5 wood is much easier to hit of the deck. You are more likely to hit the 5 wood purer than you would with the 3 wood off the deck. Distance should then be just about the same.

This is what I found so far, I'm hitting the the 5 wood so much cleaner then the 3 wood that I have not lost much distance at all.

Having said that, the 4 wood might be a better choice for you :mrgreen:

Grunt
11th February 2006, 08:10 PM
I am thinking of going that way Trung too, I have a Strong 5 Adams 19* & Smart 3 Adams 15 *. I an thinking of swapping teh 3 & the 5 and having the 5 in the bag. The only thing stopping me would be the 2i Hydrid is the bag instead of the 5 at the moment. Would they be too close together?

Jono
11th February 2006, 08:11 PM
Ping,

The Cobra Gavityback I'm using at the moment is great. The face is not shallow, but the COG seems to be low down. Real easy to hit off the turf and great off the tee too.

I've borrowed mine from TS, and I've been making generous offers to buy it off him, but he's not budging ... :evil: :lol:

I haven't tried the newer Cobra 3 woods, but I've heard they are easy to hit as well.

TS
11th February 2006, 08:27 PM
Ping,

The Cobra Gavityback I'm using at the moment is great. The face is not shallow, but the COG seems to be low down. Real easy to hit off the turf and great off the tee too.

I've borrowed mine from TS, and I've been making generous offers to buy it off him, but he's not budging ... :evil: :lol:

I haven't tried the newer Cobra 3 woods, but I've heard they are easy to hit as well.

All my clubs are great. Unlike the rubbish you offloaded on me.

3oneday
11th February 2006, 10:15 PM
Ping,

I haven't tried the newer Cobra 3 woods, but I've heard they are easy to hit as well.bloody Cobra FFS, do they all come with ear plugs ??? :p

:lol:

freddy a
12th February 2006, 01:08 AM
cant go wrong with Sonartec I have the SS04 tour only and this thing is a rocket. great off the tee brilliant ball flight and off the deck its just stupid easy to hit I have full confidence off the deck with this club. put a Purple Ice on it and just let it fly!

chappy1970
21st February 2006, 11:16 AM
cant go wrong with Sonartec I have the SS04 tour only and this thing is a rocket. great off the tee brilliant ball flight and off the deck its just stupid easy to hit I have full confidence off the deck with this club. put a Purple Ice on it and just let it fly!

Can only agree with Freddy a. Look no further, go out and demo the Sonartec you will never look back. I have the SS-03 in 14* with a stock Sonartec shaft in it and it goes long, long, long ,long and straight. Can't imagine how it would perform with a serious shaft in it.
Hit off the deck of the tee the thing just goes.

In the words of Molly Meldrum "do yourself a favor"