PDA

View Full Version : Cricket 2014/15

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mububban
31st March 2014, 02:21 PM
Now Australia have bombed out of the World T20, let's have a look at the contracted players for the 2014/15 season:

Name

George Bailey

Michael Clarke

James Faulkner

Aaron Finch

Brad Haddin

Ryan Harris

Phillip Hughes

Mitchell Johnson

Nathan Lyon

Shaun Marsh

Glenn Maxwell

Chris Rogers

James Pattinson

Peter Siddle

Steve Smith

Mitchell Starc

David Warner

Shane Watson

18 players, down from 20 last season. Stats on the chosen can be found here (http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2014/3/31/stats-line-on-the-contracted-players).

Bruce
31st March 2014, 02:53 PM
I can't decide who is luckier: Finch or Marsh.

Finch was dropped from the Shield side on form and gets a contract. Marsh has played 3 innings of note in 2 years*.

* - # will not hold up to any scrutiny and should be considered a Denuto style 'vibe' answer

Yossarian
31st March 2014, 02:54 PM
Both disgraceful selections, but who else really deserves one I guess.

3oneday
31st March 2014, 02:57 PM
I could really care less about 20/20 results, we seem unable to get it for some reason anyway.

Tests matter most, I guess whilstever we suck at 20/20 the 50 over game will survive :lol:

Our two best bowlers are also our two oldest bowlers, I hope the young guys stop breaking down.

sms316
31st March 2014, 03:06 PM
Henriques unlucky to miss out.

mrbluu
31st March 2014, 11:36 PM
As I understand there will be more guys added to the list once they play enough international games and get and automatic upgrade to a full contract.

Strange to see only one wicket keeper on the list???

Mububban
1st April 2014, 12:50 PM
Jackson Bird out for another fairly long stint. I didn’t think his action was that bad, maybe his frame just can’t cope?

(His county side) released a statement on Monday night saying Bird, who was contracted for the first six Championship matches, has suffered a recurrence of back problems and has been advised to rest for four months.

AndyP
1st April 2014, 01:58 PM
Can we keep this thread to just test discussions?

Mububban
1st April 2014, 02:04 PM
Test is Best, but the 2013/14 thread covered everything, can't see a reason to split it

AndyP
1st April 2014, 02:22 PM
That's a shame. I'll ask again for 2015/6 when the time comes.

3oneday
1st April 2014, 02:38 PM
Maybe create two threads, god knows everyone else does :) one for Test, one for other (haha)

3oneday
1st April 2014, 02:39 PM
I have a question..... when does one stop posting in the 13/14 to begin posting in 14/15?

AndyP
1st April 2014, 03:09 PM
When someone who could be bothered does it, although right now you would say it is 'Cricket 2014'. I'd put Australia's summer of cricket as 2014/5.

We used to have threads to discuss individual series, like Ashes 2013. Or a dedicated thread to discuss Matthew Hayden.

Yossarian
1st April 2014, 04:21 PM
I feel March 2014 is probably a bit early to have started it.

simmsy
1st April 2014, 04:33 PM
Well, it is April.

Yossarian
1st April 2014, 04:44 PM
Shitballs.

Mububban
1st April 2014, 05:03 PM
Squad/contracts will affect the upcoming season. World T20 is still 2013/14.

I can't decide who is luckier: Finch or Marsh.

Hopefully Marsh stays fit and finds form more than one match every series.

And hopefully Ryan Harris' knee surgery gives him another season or two in the Test team.

Steve57
1st April 2014, 05:04 PM
July 1st

Mububban
13th April 2014, 04:28 PM
Marcus North's replacement has been found

Western Australia has moved quickly in replacing retired former captain Marcus North, by signing respected South Australian batsman Michael Klinger.
Klinger has signed a deal with the Warriors that will see him call the WACA Ground home until the end of the 2015-16 Sheffield Shield season.
He accrued 568 runs at 37.86 in Shield cricket this year, with two centuries that included a classy knock of 213 against Victoria in February.

Is ~35 the new 45 in Shield batting averages?

Yossarian
13th April 2014, 08:43 PM
No it is still 35. 41 is the new 50.

Mububban
14th April 2014, 09:48 AM
Interesting. Did the SACA make a mistake or is he trouble in the dressing room?

Michael Klinger has revealed he was pushed out by South Australia rather than poached by Western Australia, in the wake of his shock departure from the Redbacks setup.

Klinger was told by the SACA he was no longer one of their first-choice Bupa Sheffield Shield batsman and they would be favouring young pair Travis Head and Kelvin Smith instead.

"I was disappointed and disagreed with the feedback I received. Two Shield games ago I scored a double-ton for South Australia," Klinger told The Advertiser from Gloucestershire, where he is currently captaining the county side.

The former skipper has led the Redbacks to two limited-overs titles and averaged 45 at first-class level since moving to South Australia.

coalesce
14th April 2014, 10:05 AM
On the contract list - why have they given Phil Hughes a contract? I don't say this because I don't think he's good enough, but its seems clear to me that Lehmann and the other selectors don't want to pick him, otherwise how does an injured Marsh get selected?

Regarding Klinger, I think it is a mistake. We are light on experienced batsmen as it is and he was our best in the Big Bash this year and still pretty good in other formats. Can Cosgrove replace that? I'm not sure.

Yossarian
14th April 2014, 10:05 AM
Cosgrove could replace three men.

Sydney Hacker
14th April 2014, 01:42 PM
On the contract list - why have they given Phil Hughes a contract? I don't say this because I don't think he's good enough, but its seems clear to me that Lehmann and the other selectors don't want to pick him, otherwise how does an injured Marsh get selected?Regarding Klinger, I think it is a mistake. We are light on experienced batsmen as it is and he was our best in the Big Bash this year and still pretty good in other formats. Can Cosgrove replace that? I'm not sure.Hughes is a regular in the one day team, which is probably enough to get him a contract.

coalesce
15th April 2014, 10:40 AM
Just some more on the Klinger thing, apparently he wanted a longer contract and assurances of his place in the team, and when he didn't get either, he went and got a better deal from WA. Chuck Berry asked him to see out the remaining year of his contract but he wanted something more long term.

I never understand the wanting an assurance of a guaranteed place in a team - if you play well, you're in the team, and if you play bad you don't. Its called merit.

Daves
15th April 2014, 10:48 AM
Just some more on the Klinger thing, apparently he wanted a longer contract and assurances of his place in the team, and when he didn't get either, he went and got a better deal from WA. Chuck Berry asked him to see out the remaining year of his contract but he wanted something more long term.

I never understand the wanting an assurance of a guaranteed place in a team - if you play well, you're in the team, and if you play bad you don't. Its called merit.

He is Professional Sportsman with a limited shelf life, you do what you have to do.

Buzz
27th April 2014, 09:34 AM
Sounds like Harris may not recover for the Test series against Pakistan later this year, hope we haven't seen the last of him.

markTHEblake
27th April 2014, 12:14 PM
I never understand the wanting an assurance of a guaranteed place in a team - if you play well, you're in the team, and if you play bad you don't. Its called merit.It's not like the football Codes, where they have limited number squads. Those who get a contract are not guaranteed of a place in the team. But they are guaranteed of earning a fixed income for the term of the contract whether they play or not. Obviously any player is better off with a contract, but on the other hand if he loses his contract it does not mean he can't get back in the team either,

Mububban
9th May 2014, 10:31 AM
Pat Cummins musing on turning himself into an allrounder

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2014/5/8/pat-cummins-allrounder-birthday

All just speculation on his part but it's not the worst idea in the world, he's only 21 but if his body can't cope with the stress of being a frontline bowler, it'd still be handy having someone of his bowling skill in the allrounder role and averaging 25+ with the bat.

Also:

Dennis Lillee and Cricket Australia have failed to agree terms to renew the fast bowling legend's contract to work with Australia's burgeoning stock of quick bowlers.

After protracted negotiations that first came to light in February, when the Western Australian great aired his grievances over pay on national radio, CA and Lillee have parted ways. But CA have said Lillee would be welcomed back into fold as a consultant coach should he change his stance on remuneration.

Lillee's exit comes in the same week Cricket Australia announced Craig McDermott had extended his contract until 2016 and will take on more responsibility as Australia's full-time bowling coach.

Considering CA is awash with cash, I wonder how much Lillee was asking for.

coalesce
29th May 2014, 03:35 PM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/cricket/saca-axes-high-performance-manager-jamie-cox-over-player-recruitment-negotiations/story-fnii0dq8-1226929228198

Does anyone have any info as to what the punishment for the Strikers (if any) might be?

I'm worried for the Strikers in BBL04 - 3 of our batsmen from last year have definitely gone (Klinger, Ferguson, Reardon), maybe Hales too. Craig Simmons could be good, but we need others, and they need to gel...

Mububban
4th June 2014, 03:17 PM
CA are going to introduce bonus points to the Shield:

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2014/6/3/bupa-sheffield-shield-points-system-introduced

The new system – to be introduced on a two-year trial from 2014-15 – will enable teams to accumulate bonus points during the first innings (in the first 100 overs) with six points still on offer for an outright win.

The thinking is that rather than use the first innings as a ‘shoot-out’ with points on offer to just one team, the fact that both sides have the opportunity to pocket points in the first 100 overs will lead to more attacking cricket and help set up more final day finishes.

As is often the case in Test cricket, there will also be incentive for teams that are able to stave off defeat with a point on offer for a draw.

And just to make us all feel old, the Gatting ball was 21 years ago today.

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/Ball-of-the-Century

goughy
8th June 2014, 05:44 PM
Nice catch
Outstanding team work catch by Adam Lyth and Aaro…: http://youtu.be/4slUD_Z4tdQ

Yossarian
8th June 2014, 07:26 PM
I really don't find those catches that exciting.

coalesce
27th July 2014, 08:46 PM
Cook dropped at 3rd slip on 16. Huge let off - could that be the luck he needs?

jimandr
28th July 2014, 12:22 AM
Cook dropped at 3rd slip on 16. Huge let off - could that be the luck he needs?

We try not to say nice things about English cricketers on this forum.

But it looks like you are correct. I'm glad to see it to be honest. Cook is one of the best bats in the world, and has been for a long time. He's earned a lot of brownie points. I wouldn't have wanted to see him hounded out of the game by the press and by Shane Warne well before his time.

Not much of a captain though.

mrbluu
28th July 2014, 12:31 AM

But it looks like you are correct. I'm glad to see it to be honest. Cook is one of the best bats in the world, and has been for a long time. He's earned a lot of brownie points. I wouldn't have wanted to see him hounded out of the game by the press and by Shane Warne well before his time.

So u agree with Warnie but Warnie was hounding him???

coalesce
28th July 2014, 10:07 AM

Exactly this. Unfortunately getting runs will be seen as validation of his captaincy. But double unfortunately there are limited candidates available to replace him.

I say unfortunately - I mean from a Pom perspective :)

jimandr
28th July 2014, 11:35 AM
Bluu, there is a difference between stating your opinion, then moving on, and harping about the same subject time after time. To be fair to Warnie, I'm sure that being outspoken is precisely why he has a job commenting on English cricket, and it isn't really his fault that the English Press smell blood.

Test captaincy is a strange beast though. It seems to be much harder today than it was in the past to find someone who can hold his place as a batter and be a good captain as well. Once upon a time, you could pick the best batsman as captain and he would do an acceptable job. But it doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

Half the Sri Lanka team have had a go at being captain, for a while Darren Sammy captained the Windies even though he couldn't hold a place because the star batters either couldn't or didn't want to do it.

Looking at it that way, Australia has been lucky in some of its captain choices. Our poorest captains were still acceptable. Other countries would envy that.

coalesce
28th July 2014, 11:49 AM
Ponting wasn't a great captain, but he played with great players (and he himself was one too), so it was only a problem right at the end of his career when those great players were no longer there.

To some extent that's Cook's problem now, but the issue with him and the captaincy to me is that it is having a detrimental effect on his batting. Would England miss Cook as a captain? No. Would they miss him as a batsman? Absolutely yes.

Having said that, when you have a captain with a knack for the tactical side of the game (Clarke, Vaughan) it does make a positive difference too, but a side with good enough players anyway doesn't need as much of this to compensate.

TheNuclearOne
28th July 2014, 12:07 PM
Good post. England need Cook as a bat only but unfortunately it seems they have zero half decent captaincy options.

hoffygolfsalot
17th August 2014, 08:14 PM
Phil Hughes in some form atm, will be interesting to see how he goes now he has replaced watson on the up coming tour.

TheNuclearOne
17th August 2014, 09:09 PM
How good is Root going post Australia. He's scored 3 big not out tons (146*as i type) including a double and 3 fitties on top of that. Averaging about 90 since. Loved his grit out here and he has that determination and intense concentration to make big scores. Reaching a ton doesn't even begin to sate him. He is going to be one heckuva bat for a long time.

backintheswing
17th August 2014, 09:12 PM
Was just bowled off a no-ball too the lucky prick.

jimandr
17th August 2014, 10:21 PM
Surely the biggest news out of the last few days is that Shane Watson is injured again.

I couldn't possibly have predicted that.

BenM
17th August 2014, 10:28 PM
Surely the biggest news out of the last few days is that Shane Watson is injured again.

I couldn't possibly have predicted that.

And in the most silly way. Stepping on a ball at training someone told me?

Heads should roll in team management. As one of the most injury prone players in Aus cricket history there should only be soft squishy balls on the ground during his training sessions. And/or his training kit should consist of one of those giant inflatable clear plastic bubbles.

BrisWesty
18th August 2014, 05:22 AM
Perhaps England should bring back Brearley? Now there was a captain!

jimandr
26th August 2014, 12:12 AM
Finally, the drought is over. Australia are playing a game of cricket.

It seems like forever since we last played a game. I'm not even sure this one counts, as it only against Zimbabwe, who don't appear to be in the same class.

Still, our boys look well rested, and in form. Mitchell J looks fit and in form. The Zim's couldn't handle him on a very flat pitch.

For those who depend on the highlights on the news, you can be guaranteed to see at least one shot, and possibly two. The windows of the commentary box were struck twice by blows from Aussie batsmen.

Matt1979
26th August 2014, 08:22 AM
not much of a contenst though, but good to see them out playing. India at home could go a similar way, if they put in same effort as they did in England

Wardy101
26th August 2014, 02:52 PM
nice shot from Johnson to smash the commentary box window. Great to see Mitch Marsh in the team and making some runs

coalesce
26th August 2014, 02:53 PM
What more has Phil Hughes got to do to get in the team?

mrbluu
26th August 2014, 03:46 PM

Score triple centuries!!!

Wardy101
26th August 2014, 04:01 PM

move to a different state

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 05:19 PM
Take it by the scruff of the neck when he does play for Australia.

mrbluu
26th August 2014, 05:20 PM
Take it by the scruff of the neck when he does play for Australia.

Like Bailey has ;-)

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 06:27 PM
Like Bailey has ;-)

Um Bailey is long gone in Tests stamped not to return.

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 06:34 PM
Hughes most recent Test scores

6, 0, 19, 0, 2, 69, 45, 6, 81*, 0, 1, 1.

That's an average of around 22. I wouldn't begrudge him getting another go at all, there's plenty on the fringes being given a chance for that batting spot. Rest assured he'd better perform this time tho.

3oneday
26th August 2014, 06:50 PM
He could learn to relax a little, he always looks like he's about to shit himself

coalesce
26th August 2014, 07:11 PM
I was really referring to ODIs :) England saw him off in tests for a while...

coalesce
26th August 2014, 08:03 PM
@CricketAus: The 'Wild Thing' Shaun Tait is back - and he hasn't ruled out a late call-up to Australia's @cricketworldcup squad: http://t.co/bVPktib0KD

I reckon everyone else has ruled it out tho...

Matt1979
26th August 2014, 08:21 PM
Hughes is to Australia what Graeme Hick was to England -- too good for domestic stuff not good enough for tests! Bin him now and save the heartache to come

coalesce
26th August 2014, 08:23 PM
Hick was a fantastic ODI player tho!

Matt1979
26th August 2014, 08:27 PM
Ummmm when ? Modest average only a handful of tons - as much as I love English cricket and a Worcester fan - he was not

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 08:35 PM
I was really referring to ODIs :) England saw him off in tests for a while...

I'm just keeping a long running back and forth going with a perrenial Hughes fanboi :D

coalesce
26th August 2014, 08:40 PM
Ummmm when ? Modest average only a handful of tons - as much as I love English cricket and a Worcester fan - he was not

Averaged 37 over 118 innings for England with the bat. Economy <5 with the ball. Those stats are very good in his era, particularly compared to other England players

Matt1979
26th August 2014, 08:46 PM
Give me a spell - this is a guy who has 64,000 first class runs over 500 first class wickets and almost 200 hundred first class centuries! How many did he deliver at the highest level ? 6 test and 5 odi tons and maybe 50 wickets at either level. He should have been great but he wasn't

mrbluu
26th August 2014, 09:13 PM
I'm just keeping a long running back and forth going with a perrenial Hughes fanboi :D

Hughes has scored a big hundred and a double in the recent Australia series AMD is only in the squad cos 2 guys pulled out. A little harsh I thinks.

Hopefully when they pick him again he will be afforded him an extended run.

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 09:35 PM
Hughes has scored a big hundred and a double in the recent Australia series AMD is only in the squad cos 2 guys pulled out. A little harsh I thinks.

Hopefully when they pick him again he will be afforded him an extended run.

Didn't he come off a run of 9 consequative Tests when last dropped? How many would you call an "extended run"? The guy you mention, Bailey, had 5 Tests before being dumped and Australia won BIG in that series. I was one of his supporters and wanted nothing more than to see him get an "extended run" at cementing a spot. He got that and didn't do enough, so onward flew the bird.

Hughes always bats superbly and stands out at the lower level but never does enough when he gets his chance. This is why the selectors are so reluctant to pick him despite his domestic form being better than many getting a gig before him.

He must drive them mad. All the talent in the world against lesser players on a smaller stage. Thru weight of runs i would not begrudge him another run, but it will surely be his last in the event of failure tho he's still only 26. He could very well succeed given his penchant for runs, but i'd be loathe to put my house on it.

mrbluu
26th August 2014, 09:40 PM
Didn't he come off a run of 9 consequative Tests when last dropped? How many would you call an "extended run"? The guy you mention, Bailey, had 5 Tests before being dumped and Australia won BIG in that series. I was one of his supporters and wanted nothing more than to see him get an "extended run" at cementing a spot. He got that and didn't do enough, so onward flew the bird. Hughes always bats superbly and stands out at the lower level but never does enough when he gets his chance. This is why the selectors are so reluctant to pick him despite his domestic form being better than many getting a gig before him. He must drive them mad. All the talent in the world against lesser players on a smaller stage. Thru weight of runs i would not begrudge him another run, but it will surely be his last in the event of failure tho he's still only 26. He could very well succeed given his penchant for runs, but i'd be loathe to put my house on it.He also played in the most disjointed side under Mickey Arthur and then got a Lehman picked I'm almost every position but ooerner for that Ashes series were Hughes also paid the price for others not performing as well.Time will tell if he is up to international standards

3Puttpete
26th August 2014, 09:43 PM
Hughes can't play spin can he?

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 09:59 PM
There's that too LOL

jimandr
26th August 2014, 10:06 PM
Hughes can't play spin can he?

The trouble with Phil Hughes is that when he is out of form he can't play anything, and one good ball seems to be enough to take his confidence away.

He can't play top class spin, but not many can. But, our wickets don't suit many spinners from the other teams either so it might not matter.

At the moment there aren't any vacant batting spots in the one day team, and the weak spots in the test team aren't in the places he is best suited to filling. Chris Rogers won't last too much longer. He'll probably come back in to open when Rogers goes (unless Watson gets yet another go at the top).

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 10:13 PM
The number 3 spot is potentially open soon. It's sure not cemented.

talbo
27th August 2014, 09:12 AM
I can't think of a genuine #3 in this country for Test cricket.

backintheswing
27th August 2014, 10:32 AM

Joe Burns

Matt1979
27th August 2014, 10:45 AM
Michael Clarke

talbo
27th August 2014, 11:16 AM
Joe Burns

Don't think he's had a call up yet.

backintheswing
27th August 2014, 11:21 AM
Don't think he's had a call up yet.

Not yet, but I am president of his fan club. A bit like mrbluu with Hughes.

talbo
27th August 2014, 11:32 AM
Hughes has the talent, just got to play his natural game on the big stage which is easier said than done.

TheNuclearOne
27th August 2014, 05:22 PM

Agreed, which is why it's still somewhat open.

KristianJ
27th August 2014, 06:16 PM
Hughes in the XI tonight. Good work, boys. ;)

TheNuclearOne
27th August 2014, 06:21 PM
Given the opposition he has a great chance of carving it up.

coalesce
27th August 2014, 06:22 PM
So if he fails, he'll be out again forever and if he does well, it's only Zimbabwe

TheNuclearOne
27th August 2014, 06:28 PM
That scenario will be more in tune with Test cricket i think.

coalesce
27th August 2014, 06:37 PM
That and it's against South Africa ;)

TheNuclearOne
27th August 2014, 08:22 PM
Oh dear :mrgreen:

coalesce
27th August 2014, 08:23 PM
51 isn't a bad effort back in the team

TheNuclearOne
27th August 2014, 08:27 PM
For sure. Others going very noicely too.

backintheswing
27th August 2014, 08:36 PM
Ok I am going to preface this by saying that I think George Bailey is the worst player to ever captain Australia. I also believe he has a major batting flaw outside off stump.

Anyway just switched over for the last 10 overs and first ball I watch, George gets given out caught behind, sparring outside off stump. **** I laughed. What makes it even funnier is he missed the ball by inches. Suck it George.

TheNuclearOne
27th August 2014, 08:39 PM
66 off 54 balls against SA isn't anything to sneeze at tho.

mrbluu
27th August 2014, 08:41 PM

Good effort from both Hughes and Bailey!!!

backintheswing
27th August 2014, 08:43 PM

The timing of it was what made it funny to me.

TheNuclearOne
27th August 2014, 08:48 PM
Good effort from both Hughes and Bailey!!!

For sure mate, not to mention Finch!!!!!

mrbluu
27th August 2014, 08:50 PM
For sure mate, not to mention Finch!!!!!

Finchy has played well in both games. Not over playing his hand. Hopefully the boys can kick on in the last 6 overs.

backintheswing
27th August 2014, 08:56 PM
Bailey's pocket has caused a mini collapse.

Jarro
27th August 2014, 09:30 PM
Mitch Johnson finishes the innings nicely [emoji41]

Wardy101
27th August 2014, 10:52 PM
Nice score from the boys. Just need bowlers to do their thing

mrbluu
28th August 2014, 12:00 AM
We need some wickets soon!!!

jimandr
28th August 2014, 12:09 AM
Yes.

It's a bit like watching the India games from a few years ago when both sides were making 350 every innings.

Batting should not look as easy as it does right now.

TheNuclearOne
28th August 2014, 05:28 AM
Pumped.

TheNuclearOne
30th August 2014, 11:39 AM
Interesting article here

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/774705.html

backintheswing
31st August 2014, 07:51 PM
Bailey and Hughes failed again.

Wardy101
31st August 2014, 07:54 PM
5/116 against Zim. What is this rubbish

jimandr
31st August 2014, 09:32 PM
Who would've thought a game against Zimbabwe could be so interesting.

In one way it was like watching a game from the early 80's, when 200 used to be a good score. In another way it was most depressing watching us struggle so badly against spin. If I was preparing pitches against Australia there are no prizes for guessing the opposition teams will want raging turners all the way.

Even though it is only a one-dayer against Zimbabwe, this might be an important outing for Nathan Lyon. I've always liked his bowling on good pitches, but he has occasionally struggled to do what he should do on turning tracks. If there is ever a chance to shine, this is it. Maxwell should be a handful as well, but will he be?

Of course, the other talking point already is Michael Clarke's fitness. The hammy appeared gone. This is a bad sign for the future. Hammy's and bad backs are a bad combination. Hopefully he'll use the next two months wisely in recovery mode. But if he has to go into cotton wool on a semi-permanent basis we could go from heroes to zeroes as a team pretty quickly.

Wardy101
31st August 2014, 10:25 PM
Hope we can take a wicket sometime soon. Time to give Lyon a bowl as the Zim boys might give this a shake with wickets in hand

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2014, 10:54 PM
Hope we can take a wicket sometime soon. Time to give Lyon a bowl as the Zim boys might give this a shake with wickets in hand

Good call.

Wardy101
31st August 2014, 11:04 PM
Used seven different bowlers in less than 20 overs. At this rate haddin might get a chance to roll the arm over. Someone got some big money on the Zim team as I really don't think we are trying to win this

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2014, 11:10 PM
That's how Clarke rolls, he's a genius captain on the whole.

coalesce
31st August 2014, 11:35 PM
I think you're all a bit quick to bag the Aussies on this deck. Lyon doing the job, and Finch's over showing it's because he's got some class, not just that it's a bunsen

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2014, 01:04 AM
31 years.

Bruce
1st September 2014, 07:44 AM
The joke will be on the rest of the world when we serve up fast bouncy wickets in the World Cup.

coalesce
1st September 2014, 08:00 AM
Err yeah oops. Bag away

Wardy101
1st September 2014, 09:49 AM
Err yeah oops. Bag away

Hahahaha did think you went early in defence of them. We really need to learn how to play spin

Buzz
1st September 2014, 09:55 AM
It would have been worse without another Haddin rescue mission ... Geez they are going to miss him when he retires he's played so many valuable rescue knocks in the last 12 months!

jimandr
1st September 2014, 10:24 AM
I think you're all a bit quick to bag the Aussies on this deck. Lyon doing the job, and Finch's over showing it's because he's got some class, not just that it's a bunsen

I'm assuming you wrote that after Finch's first over, because he got hit out of the attack after his second over.

Overall, a terrible performance by Australia.

Lyon was Ok, but he didn't test them the way they tested us. Maxwell was awful, bowling a defensive leg stump line when he needed to attack off stump. And while you wouldn't really expect the pace bowlers to attack, they couldn't finish the job when the game was still there to be won.

One other thing I'll say. I started cheering for the Zims after Mitchell Starc started sledging them. Typical Ugly Aussie bully boy behaviour, against an opposition that didn't need or deserve to be sledged. He was pretty quiet in his last spell.

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2014, 11:16 AM
Lyon was Ok, but he didn't test them the way they tested us.

Not happy with 4-44, every one of them a top order wicket? Lyon took twice as many wickets as any other bowler in the match and almost made a very very short list of Aussie spinners who have taken a 5 for in an ODI..

coalesce
1st September 2014, 11:21 AM
I'm assuming you wrote that after Finch's first over, because he got hit out of the attack after his second over.

Overall, a terrible performance by Australia.

Lyon was Ok, but he didn't test them the way they tested us. Maxwell was awful, bowling a defensive leg stump line when he needed to attack off stump. And while you wouldn't really expect the pace bowlers to attack, they couldn't finish the job when the game was still there to be won.

One other thing I'll say. I started cheering for the Zims after Mitchell Starc started sledging them. Typical Ugly Aussie bully boy behaviour, against an opposition that didn't need or deserve to be sledged. He was pretty quiet in his last spell.

Actually I was trying to say it was Lyon that has class, and using Finch's over that went for 17 as evidence, but I worded it badly :)

I was trying to get at that on a turning wicket, part timers like Maxwell and Finch are not going to do the job that a Lyon will do. You can more get away with it in T20 when you may only need an over or two from them, but when you want to get a full quota, you'll come unstuck as often as not.

Having said that of course, Maxwell and Finch are in the side for their batting, rather than because they are all rounders.

Interesting Clarke could bowl at the end despite being injured...

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2014, 11:24 AM
Steve Smith was the one we missed, and it's no secret that Clarke wanted him in but didn't get him. He plays spin superbly and can roll a few over too.

Good on the Zimbabweans tho, one part of me is happy for them having a day in the sun. It's no biggie in the overall scheme of things.

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2014, 12:12 PM
Clarkes on the next plane home.

Wardy101
1st September 2014, 04:05 PM
have to wonder how much longer he will be able to deal with the constant injuries.

Really hoping the real Australian team turns up tomorrow against the South Africans rather than the imposters who played last night otherwise we wont make 100.

jimandr
1st September 2014, 05:38 PM
Not happy with 4-44, every one of them a top order wicket? Lyon took twice as many wickets as any other bowler in the match and almost made a very very short list of Aussie spinners who have taken a 5 for in an ODI..

I'm not happy with the 44 part. Two of their bowlers went for 30 or less, and our bats were in defensive mode most of the day. They seemed to be assessing Lyon's length quite well, so he didn't have the deception that really good bowlers seem to have. Still, at least he can hold his head up, and he won't be left out of the side again this tour.

We are going to need a lot of runs to beat South Africa.

Having said all that, does it really matter? This appears to be an experimental tour, to see if certain players have the right stuff. Mitch Marsh in particular seems to be being given an audition, which I hope he passes. At his best, he could be good for a long time.

The overall performance of the team ob this tour is a bit secondary in the wider scheme of things.

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2014, 01:51 AM
I'm not happy with the 44 part. Two of their bowlers went for 30 or less, and our bats were in defensive mode most of the day. They seemed to be assessing Lyon's length quite well, so he didn't have the deception that really good bowlers seem to have. Still, at least he can hold his head up, and he won't be left out of the side again this tour.

We are going to need a lot of runs to beat South Africa.

Having said all that, does it really matter? This appears to be an experimental tour, to see if certain players have the right stuff. Mitch Marsh in particular seems to be being given an audition, which I hope he passes. At his best, he could be good for a long time.

The overall performance of the team ob this tour is a bit secondary in the wider scheme of things.

Lyon was bowling to take wickets, not contain them. That horse had bolted.

Agree a lot of runs will be needed. Should be interesting.

Agree about the experimenting. Tho it's ODI Marsh is absolutely auditioning for a Test spot, possibly sooner rather than later. He's starting to hit his straps and the selectors have earmarked him heavily for the one shaky spot in the batting lineup, even if he doesn't bat there. Agree he could be good for a long time, very likely a lot better than good if he keeps developing.

Moe Norman
2nd September 2014, 10:19 AM
Mitch Marsh is just another Shane Watson with less ability.

Injury prone all-rounder that breaks down regularly.

mrbluu
2nd September 2014, 07:56 PM
Great knock from Hughes. Shame no one else did anything and he had to try to smash some boundaries. Hopefully the the lower order can pull their fingers out!!!

Wardy101
2nd September 2014, 09:03 PM
Mitch Marsh is just another Shane Watson with less ability.

Injury prone all-rounder that breaks down regularly.

big call. showing fair bit currently with 85 runs off 50 balls

mrbluu
2nd September 2014, 09:05 PM

What a great knock from M Marsh!!!

jimandr
2nd September 2014, 09:56 PM
Is Mitch Marsh in the IPL? If he isn't already, he just earned himself one million plus for next year.

Only a couple of posts ago we were discussing his audition for a spot. He got runs against Zimbabwe two game ago, but this one was against a high class attack. For one dayers and 20/20, he is now first player picked. Has anybody ever hit Dale Steyn for 3 sixes in a row? I doubt it.

What was interesting to me was how he did it. He was scratchy early, and not very convincing against spin, but as soon as he hit one in the middle off pace, he was away, and impossible to bowl to. This tells me he might fail as many times as he succeeds, the same way as Maxwell now seems to be doing.

But he might come off enough times to be a matchwinner as long as he gets enough batting time to settle down and get his eye in. Is he good enough to bat 4 or 5?

All that is good, but it still might not be enough runs to beat the Saffas. The rest of the bats, except for Hughes, didn't perform well, again.

Wardy101
2nd September 2014, 10:08 PM
Mitch Marsh didn't play IPL this year as he was opted for county cricket to work on long form of the game.

BenM
2nd September 2014, 10:24 PM
No pay TV for me but just watched the highlights on the CA app - bloody hell he's got an eye like a dead fish. Some of those straight hits to what looked like fast in swingers were just sublime.

Bailey's dismissal looked ugly. Just a complete misjudgement.

Wardy101
2nd September 2014, 10:33 PM
hopefully Lyon can tie down an end now and the other boys can take some more wickets. Be good to get a win on the board after the debacle the other day

mrbluu
3rd September 2014, 01:42 AM
Good win by the the Aussies. Solo knock from faf de pliess.

Moe Norman
3rd September 2014, 11:27 AM

It's one innings, he will break down with injury before too long - just like his brother and just like Watto.

No doubt he has ability, decent middle order hitter and a quality fast medium bowler.

However, his disciplinary record is terrible, and his injury record is very concerning. His actual playing record isn't great either

Averages just 28 with the bat at first class level, and his hamstring goes when he bowls his full pace.

Really needs to improve his batting output to be an option at test level. His batting is at the level of a Butterworth or a Hopes or a Faulkner, but his bowling is behind the two Tasmanians.

Needs to become an accomplished Top 6 batsman

mrbluu
3rd September 2014, 12:08 PM
I think I are being too harsh on M Marsh, he is still 22 and has lots of room to improve. He's played 2 good innings this series and last night he was all class and dug us out of a massive hole. Between him and Hughes they scored about 170 of our 270 runs.

Both Hughes and Marsh scored big runs playing for Australia A and have taken that form here.

3oneday
3rd September 2014, 12:24 PM
I hope Marsh does make it, I also think that the Big Show should stick to 20/20.

TheNuclearOne
3rd September 2014, 12:24 PM
I think I are being too harsh on M Marsh, he is still 22 and has lots of room to improve. He's played 2 good innings this series and last night he was all class and dug us out of a massive hole. Between him and Hughes they scored about 170 of our 270 runs.

Both Hughes and Marsh scored big runs playing for Australia A and have taken that form here.

Not often we align on cricket matters but this is a quality post.

Wardy101
3rd September 2014, 12:34 PM
He is still only 22 so will mature. Skipping the IPL big money this year to work on his form in longer formats I think is a sign of maturity and whilst there will be injury concerns lets hope he has his body right currently and continues to show good form.

coalesce
3rd September 2014, 12:49 PM
I know I'm considered a Hughes fanboi, but there is an argument as to whether his presence is a good thing or not, regardless of his form.

Consider Cook, or going a bit further back, Trott, in the England ODI team. Their presence is firmly based on the idea that if someone bats the whole innings and scores at a strike rate of 100ish, then other players can play around them, and they can accelerate at the end. This plan is ok, so long as it works, and generally so long as a slogger comes off at the end (50 from 25 balls, that sort of thing).

The problem is when the player has got to 50-80 runs using up 60-100 balls and then gets out. Arguably the opportunity to use the first powerplay is wasted, and the team doesn't get the benefit of a set batsman at the end of the innings.

Contrast this with a player like Finch or even, dare I say it, Watson, or for England, Hales. These players won't waste balls, but there's probably a greater chance they will get out early, particularly if conditions are tricky.

England had a backroom person who worked out an MVP for ODI cricket based on their contribution (runs, wickets, etc), and Trott was comfortably top of that (but then they also based that on a plan that scoring 250+ would win most ODIs - which it doesn't). I think the game has changed...

The question is whether players like Hughes (and Cook for England) can show that they have the range of shots to dominate bowlers when the conditions permit. Hughes probably does (as his 200 for Aus A showed), but he's not doing himself any favours getting 50 and out - he really needs to go on and get a big one.

mrbluu
3rd September 2014, 01:46 PM
Not often we align on cricket matters but this is a quality post.

\\:D/\\:D/

I know I'm considered a Hughes fanboi, but there is an argument as to whether his presence is a good thing or not, regardless of his form.

Consider Cook, or going a bit further back, Trott, in the England ODI team. Their presence is firmly based on the idea that if someone bats the whole innings and scores at a strike rate of 100ish, then other players can play around them, and they can accelerate at the end. This plan is ok, so long as it works, and generally so long as a slogger comes off at the end (50 from 25 balls, that sort of thing).

The problem is when the player has got to 50-80 runs using up 60-100 balls and then gets out. Arguably the opportunity to use the first powerplay is wasted, and the team doesn't get the benefit of a set batsman at the end of the innings.

Contrast this with a player like Finch or even, dare I say it, Watson, or for England, Hales. These players won't waste balls, but there's probably a greater chance they will get out early, particularly if conditions are tricky.

England had a backroom person who worked out an MVP for ODI cricket based on their contribution (runs, wickets, etc), and Trott was comfortably top of that (but then they also based that on a plan that scoring 250+ would win most ODIs - which it doesn't). I think the game has changed...

The question is whether players like Hughes (and Cook for England) can show that they have the range of shots to dominate bowlers when the conditions permit. Hughes probably does (as his 200 for Aus A showed), but he's not doing himself any favours getting 50 and out - he really needs to go on and get a big one.

Fun you are questioning Hughes's strike rate, only 4 players in this whole match managed over 90 strike rate with Hughes being one of them. Also arguably Hughes played in the toughest conditions of the day and set a platform for Marsh to go on the attack. Also when Hughes go out, he was left no choice but to attack cos it was the powerplay and Bailey was eating up the balls (6 of 20 balls or something like) on the other end and the other batsmen have all failed.

coalesce
3rd September 2014, 01:56 PM
Hughes's strike rate, only 4 players in this whole match managed over 90 strike rate with Hughes being one of them. Also arguably Hughes played in the toughest conditions of the day and set a platform for Marsh to go on the attack. Also when Hughes go out, he was left no choice but to attack cos it was the powerplay and Bailey was eating up the balls (6 of 20 balls or something like) on the other end and the other batsmen have all failed.

It isn't something you can judge from one match, partly for the reasons you state.

When it is particularly a problem is when a batsman only has one "speed" (Trott, Cook), and the team strategy is to play around them early. It severely restricts the ability to have a Plan B if things are not going to plan. Playing around a solid player is really better as a Plan B option in the first place - something you can do if Plan A (openers whack it everywhere) fails.

I'm a Hughes fan, but I'm saying that nice 50s are not what will cement his place in the team - he needs to be there near the end of an innings too, otherwise he'll get the reputation of giving it away when set.

Moe Norman
3rd September 2014, 02:21 PM
Phil Hughes is by no means a one paced batsman, so I don't think that is something we need to concern ourselves with. Nor do I think his conversion rate is an issue. He has played 22 ODI innings and has scored 2 centuries and 4 x 50 (of which 3 are over 75). Clarke has played 216 ODI innings for just 8x100. A century every 30 odd innings compared to Hughes scoring 1 every 11 innings. Another good comparison is Watson, who has 9x100 in 152 innings, so one every 16 innings. Difference is that Watson strikes in the 90's, while Clarke and Hughes both strike in the 70's.

We have a plethora of top order hitters with genuine claims to be in the ODI side, but we lack composed finishers of the ilk of Bevan, Hussey. Bailey has shown some ability in that area, but we need to develop this more.

At the moment - Watson, Warner, Finch, Hughes all have genuine claims to open the innings in ODI's. While they have tried to move Watson to #3, I don't think its worked - and as the best performing ODI opener for Australia in the last 5 or 6 years they should probably leave him there and develop someone else at #3.

Personally I like the idea of Smith at 3 in ODI cricket because he has the all-round game, particularly vs spin. I also don't mind Shaun Marsh at 3 in ODI's

I think our best ODI side in Australian conditions looks something like

Watson
Warner
Smith
Bailey
Clarke
Maxwell
Haddin
Faulkner/Marsh
Johnson
MacKay
Lyon

Unlucky would be Finch, Starc, S.Marsh, Hughes

Although i reckon Clarke's time in ODI's might be coming to an end.

jimandr
11th September 2014, 10:08 PM
I thought this thread would be alive with comment on the new chucking controversy.

I did think Saeed Ajmal might be untouchable, having got away with it until now, but apparently not.

For mine, I think all the offies who look like they bend their arms are guilty. If it looks like a throw, it usually is.

Do we even need to say that Murali's wickets have an * against them?

As I was typing this, an odd thought occurred to me. Cam anybody think of a left-armer with a suspect action? I can't.

TheNuclearOne
11th September 2014, 10:14 PM
Ian Meckiff.

coalesce
12th September 2014, 12:21 AM
It's not the arm being bent that is the problem. It is the arm straightening. I always thought spinning the ball was unfair anyway. Batting is hard enough...

Matt1979
12th September 2014, 08:28 AM
didnt David Gower get called for "chucking" once in the 80's - think it was a baseball style delivery against the Kiwi's - albeit England we getting flogeed at the time!!

coalesce
12th September 2014, 10:12 AM
didnt David Gower get called for "chucking" once in the 80's - think it was a baseball style delivery against the Kiwi's - albeit England we getting flogeed at the time!!

Haha yep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xFk7oCZgw Looks like Murali...

Matt1979
12th September 2014, 10:29 AM
Haha yep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xFk7oCZgw Looks like Murali...

Good clip - made me chuckle - remember that from when I was a kid back in england - looks like it was at Trent Bridge

Buzz
6th October 2014, 02:11 PM
Good win to the Aussies in the T20, but they made an attempt at brainless batting to put themselves in trouble. After bowling out Pakistan for under 100 and having a required rate of less than five, Maxwell, Smith, Hughes all perish going the slog. They should have pushed it around and won it by 9 or 10 wickets instead of going for unnecessary glory shots and putting the later bats under pressure.

Lucky David Warner seems to have matured and played a measured innings otherwise it could have been a real debacle.

backintheswing
7th October 2014, 10:07 PM
Finch out for a royal duck, first ball of the match. He was facing the tallest bowler in the world, Irfan.

jimandr
8th October 2014, 12:51 AM
Gees, we have copped the D Team for commentary of this game. I've never liked Dean Jones as a commentator, and Danny Morrison can be a pain if not paired with someone good. I think I might be watching parts of this series with the sound turned off.

The game itself hasn't been very exciting either. A dull, slow pitch, a bowling attack that is in containment mode, and our bats not firing, except for Steve Smith. Yawn.

Buzz
8th October 2014, 07:00 AM
Agreed on the commentary front. Dean Jones is painful.

jimandr
8th October 2014, 11:35 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/parody-twitter-account-hit-kevin-pietersen-where-it-hurts-20141008-10rn7n.html

What do people think about the Kevin Pietersen stuff?

The above link to Michael Vaughan's view is very interesting.

I'm not a big reader of cricket diary type books (Steve Waugh's book bored me to tears), but I can't recall anyone really exposing the inner workings of the dressing room the way KP seems to have done.

One thing I am certain of is that he is a rotten teammate. I can see him walking out on whichever Melbourne team is is playing for in 20/20 if things don't go his way.

coalesce
8th October 2014, 12:11 PM
As with all of these autobiographies where the person has an axe to grind, there is going to be some truth in there, and some embellishments.

From what I've read so far, I think it seems that there was something rotten in the whole squad around the time it should have been a happy place to be (winning 3 out of 4 Ashes series).

I think KP probably is hard done by, but I think he spectacularly misses/ignores the reasons why he alienates other team members that leads to those problems in the first place - and it is that naivety that leads to the ridiculous quotes like "Its hard being me", and quite rightly pisses off teammates.

KP's falling out with Prior is another example of KP misunderstanding the point Prior was making about it not being Flower's team, and their falling out has been quite spectacular, but then also from what I've read, I can see that Prior is not the angelic team heartbeat that he was being portrayed as at the time, and it seems once KP falls out with someone, that is it.

Having said that, there are other players coming out in at least qualified support of KP - Tremlett, Shahzad, Vaughan - so there's clearly some truth there. It probably also sheds some light on why some players such as Compton and Carberry never seemed able to fit in.

But overall, the overwhelming feeling I get from it all is one of sadness. It is schoolboy stuff at a time when English cricket was the strongest it had ever been in my lifetime. It reflects badly on the ECB that their coaching and management structure was not fit for purpose (Flower, Clarke, Morris, Downton, etc) in that it either did not see, or refused to do anything about the rottenness at the core of the squad

BrisWesty
8th October 2014, 09:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_cricketers_called_for_throwi ng

Tony Lock apparently changed his action after seeing what it looked like.
I read McCarthy and Griffin both had issues with full extension at their elbows.
I read somewhere growing up that someone once showed film of a left armer who looked a lot like Ian Meckiff bowling. Interestingly it was actually mirror reversed film of Ray Lindwall.
Jim Higgs? Seriously? How do leggies chuck the ball?
Kirmani? Stick to keeping son!

I'm glad they're trying to throw out the chuckers. (Pun intended)

KristianJ
10th October 2014, 06:42 PM
C
Gees, we have copped the D Team for commentary of this game. I've never liked Dean Jones as a commentator, and Danny Morrison can be a pain if not paired with someone good. I think I might be watching parts of this series with the sound turned off.

I just flicked over to Gem for the domestic one day cup competition. If Deano and Morrison are the D Team, what would Brad McNamara and Andy Bichel be? Thankfully they brought up a graphic telling me who they were, otherwise I'd have been stumped.

mrbluu
10th October 2014, 09:04 PM
Re: KP situation

My take on it was he should have been gone for good after the crap that went on when he was sending the Saffar sms's about Strauss. If they were dumb enough to invite him back then they deserve all this crap. He wasn't such a bad egg/teammate when he was scoring 100's.

jimandr
10th October 2014, 09:18 PM
C

I just flicked over to Gem for the domestic one day cup competition. If Deano and Morrison are the D Team, what would Brad McNamara and Andy Bichel be? Thankfully they brought up a graphic telling me who they were, otherwise I'd have been stumped.

So thats where the one-dayers are!

I've seen some results in the sport details in the paper, but nothing on the country version of the news (but I watch 7, so maybe that is why). The version of the paper I see doesn't have any stories about it.

I must admit that what is effectively a pre-season comp is well down my list of interests, but it is a bit sad to see how far down the totem pole domestic one-dayers have slipped.

KristianJ
10th October 2014, 09:27 PM
So thats where the one-dayers are!

I've seen some results in the sport details in the paper, but nothing on the country version of the news (but I watch 7, so maybe that is why). The version of the paper I see doesn't have any stories about it.

I must admit that what is effectively a pre-season comp is well down my list of interests, but it is a bit sad to see how far down the totem pole domestic one-dayers have slipped.

That's BBL for you...I'm surprised they still persist with the domestic comp, even after they did the split innings thing a couple of years ago.

I used to enjoy it a decade or so ago with the ING/Mercantile Mutual Cup...especially the gimmicks with the sponsor boards either side of the sight screens and at mid wicket, $100 for a crowd catch.

The comp is heading to Sydney next week, I think. But I think they'll be playing day games at suburban grounds like Bankstown, Drummoyne et al. as opposed to the SCG. Probably would add a little bit of atmosphere, but I don't really care for it.

Daves
10th October 2014, 09:36 PM
KP situation is pretty easy to assess. KP was/is a total dickhead, but a very talent dickhead. When he was performing he was an acceptable dickhead, but once the performances were less than stellar, no one wanted to know him. KP has no friends any more and can't understand why?, it must be everyone else because I am KP! Nobody still wants to know him. Pretty simple really, what goes around, comes around.

coalesce
10th October 2014, 10:27 PM
From what I'm reading there are multiple dickheads in the England team and they just bounce off each other. Ditching KP and Swann retiring got rid of 2 I guess

Daves
10th October 2014, 10:37 PM
From what I'm reading there are multiple dickheads in the England team and they just bounce off each other. Ditching KP and Swann retiring got rid of 2 I guess

Oh without a doubt. It was just that KP was the king of all Dickheads.

KristianJ
13th October 2014, 07:16 AM
I'd be surprised if I was the only one who read this and couldn't help but think match fixing...

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/cricket/pakistan-v-australia-aussies-pull-off-series-whitewash-after-thrilling-win-in-abu-dhabi/story-fndpt0dy-1227088346451

3oneday
13th October 2014, 07:24 AM
Maxy is a great bowler.

backintheswing
13th October 2014, 08:40 AM
Anyway, back to the real stuff. Qld had an easy win in the Matador cup yesterday. JOE BURNS made a century. He should be playing in these match-fixing games instead of George Bailey.

Wardy101
13th October 2014, 07:07 PM
Warriors had another win today. Lucky our lower order know how to bat because both openers got golden ducks.

NSW next will see only 1 undefeated team in the Matador Cup.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 07:19 PM
Did anyone else see the Vic Keepers run out in the NSW match? ****ing insane.

mrbluu
13th October 2014, 08:13 PM
Did anyone else see the Vic Keepers run out in the NSW match? ****ing insane. No I just saw the end score ;-)

Buzz
13th October 2014, 09:21 PM
Did anyone else see the Vic Keepers run out in the NSW match? ****ing insane. Heard about it but not seen will have to try and chase down a link.

mrbluu
13th October 2014, 09:38 PM
Heard about it but not seen will have to try and chase down a link. Download the cricket Australia app on your phone, it has the highlights there.

TheNuclearOne
13th October 2014, 09:41 PM
We talking about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyFbFYY6AF8

backintheswing
13th October 2014, 09:57 PM
TNO, can you post up highlights of Joe Burns' innings?

AndyP
13th October 2014, 10:00 PM
Ian Chappell showed his usual excitement.

benno_r
13th October 2014, 10:05 PM
We talking about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyFbFYY6AF8

That was damn fine work. Probably the best I have ever seen.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 10:52 PM
No I just saw the end score ;-)

Jesus, why does everyone keep going on about the score when I bring this up?

I couldn't care less.

Wardy101
13th October 2014, 10:52 PM
Joel Paris took a ripper catch today at a key juncture in the match.

Running with the flight of the ball and had to dive for it.

TheNuclearOne
13th October 2014, 11:18 PM
That was damn fine work. Probably the best I have ever seen.

Offhand i am inclined to agree, and i've seen some.

No athleticism needed but this was notable for different reasons imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNALDAmThcA

Buzz
14th October 2014, 06:57 AM
Who is this Paris character... I usually follow cricket closely but he is a new name to me.

Wardy101
14th October 2014, 12:11 PM
Who is this Paris character... I usually follow cricket closely but he is a new name to me.

Left arm fast medium bowler. Has taken few wickets in the Matador Cup.

Was part of the Australia Under-19s team couple of years ago.

TheNuclearOne
16th October 2014, 10:23 PM
Doolan doing the right thing to prolong his Test career. Soooooo impressed by Smith as a cricketer nowadays. He has come so far in such a short time after looking like he'd bombed out. Hard not to picture him as our classiest cricketer in years to come.

Buzz
18th October 2014, 10:21 AM
Anyone see Saqlian Ahider stand in for Haddin yesterday? Took a great catch off Lyon, he seemed totally stoked in the post match interview :)

KristianJ
18th October 2014, 04:44 PM
Run fest today at the a North Sydney postage stamp.

QLD chasing 399 and looking as if they'll get home comfortably. Ben Dunk 224* in Tassie's innings.

jimandr
18th October 2014, 05:01 PM
North Sydney Oval is a joke as a one-dayer venue.

It is just too easy for the bats.

I didn't see the Tas innings, but Khawaja looked like the best bat in the world.

I'm going to do the cricket world a favour, and declare Qld home at 1/341, needing 58 from 52.

I'll be back in half an hour to see if they collapsed and lost.

EDIT: As I press the save button, a runout! I have a talent to put the mock on that should be worth money to a bookie somewhere.

Buzz
18th October 2014, 05:12 PM
Must be an absolute road of a pitch!

AndyP
18th October 2014, 05:45 PM
Jim, surely this is what the cricket authorities want. Total domination by the bat. More runs equals better cricket for your regular punter, right?

Who cares about your traditionalist that likes to see a good battle between bat and ball?

jimandr
19th October 2014, 09:55 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/west-indies-future-looks-grim-after-indian-board-hits-them-with-74-million-damages-bill-20141019-118b90.html

I didn't think too much about this when I heard on the news this morning that the Windies players had pulled the plug on their tour.

But this article suggests that the situation has already gone past the point of no return.

The Windies management probably needs to discipline the players, but they may not be able to. The top players may not even care what the board does to them (hello IPL, any vacant spots?).

I hope a solution is found. We need the Windies in cricket.

mrbluu
22nd October 2014, 09:39 PM
Johnson, Siddle and the rest of the bowlers are going really well.

jimandr
22nd October 2014, 10:07 PM
Johnson, Siddle and the rest of the bowlers are going really well.

This could be one of the dullest tests in history if the play so far is any indication.

A dead pitch, no movement through the air, a slow outfield, no crowd atmosphere and not much reason for the bats to attack if Pakistan keep batting.

Yawn.

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2014, 11:14 PM
This could be one of the dullest tests in history if the play so far is any indication.

A dead pitch, no movement through the air, a slow outfield, no crowd atmosphere and not much reason for the bats to attack if Pakistan keep batting.

Yawn.

Too early to make that call.

Are you forgetting our collapse a handful of days ago as soon as the ball started reversing? Nothing game or not it was pretty weak stuff.
You'd think spin could possibly play a fair part for the Paki's too. They have made it clear they believe we have a sizable weakness against spin.

On our side and potentially offsetting some of the above is the fact Pakistan have a couple of front line bowlers out and their attack is hugely inexperienced. We also have a couple of bats with no runs under their belt in lead up games as well.

We really don't want the Paki's getting away from us with the bat.

jimandr
23rd October 2014, 12:42 AM
You might be right, TNO.

The last hour wasn't bad. A bit of aggression from the Paki bats, then Lyon started spinning the harder, newish ball right at the end of the day.

We won't be able to complain about excessive appealing though. If Lyon was his own umpire he'd have a dozen wickets by now.

If they spin it the way he did, we might struggle to get a good score.

3oneday
23rd October 2014, 07:41 AM
Depends on whether the fix is on.

TheNuclearOne
23rd October 2014, 07:27 PM
Paki's well on top at this stage. Even a collapse would still have them sitting quite well.

coalesce
23rd October 2014, 08:47 PM
Cricket at that stadium is pretty attritional. Wickets will fall in clusters and run scoring will be mostly slow

TheNuclearOne
23rd October 2014, 09:43 PM
Cricket at that stadium is pretty attritional. Wickets will fall in clusters and run scoring will be mostly slow

Mostly is right, 80 ball ton to Safraz - bah!!! Pretty early stage for the game to be looking like only one team can win. They've all but batted us out already and at a fair enough clip too. We are going to have to turn up with the bat to stay in the game.

Buzz
24th October 2014, 06:46 AM
Aus 0/113 in reply, as they say never judge a pitch until both sides have batted on it !!

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2014, 07:24 AM
There's a lot of cricket to go. Great start by Australia with Rogers short on pre match runs and Warner missing a little cricket.

3oneday
24th October 2014, 07:31 AM
The crowd is adding to the atmosphere nicely.

markTHEblake
24th October 2014, 03:15 PM
Is Imran Khan bowling off a short run still?

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2014, 07:49 PM
Warners longest ever Test innings for balls faced. Be a sorry sight so far without his efforts on a pitch not doing much still. We still need him to go right on with it.

mrbluu
24th October 2014, 10:47 PM
Another shit shot from Haddin when Australia need him to knuckle down for a few more overs. First over of the new ball, with the team 5 down, he plays a massive airy drive. Man he shits me.

(I didn't see the other Australian dismissals before him)

Wardy101
24th October 2014, 10:47 PM
Getting our arses handed to us now. Not sure why they are getting out lbw on pitch not doing much

LarryLong
24th October 2014, 10:57 PM
Haddin surely has a couple of credits in the bank after he basically saved the ashes (so that Johnson could win them) nine months ago. He batted in the same manner too, but nobody complains when it works.

Here's hoping we can somehow cobble together another 50 or more - it's looking a little bit bleak.

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2014, 11:02 PM
Haddin surely has a couple of credits in the bank after he basically saved the ashes (so that Johnson could win them) nine months ago. He batted in the same manner too, but nobody complains when it works.

Exactly. It came off heaps recently and oh i better evise my opinion blah blah and as soon as he gets out a couple of times blah blah why did he do this why did he do that. News flash - it's the way he bats. Nothing has changed since his Ashes heroics.

mrbluu
24th October 2014, 11:10 PM

Here's hoping we can somehow cobble together another 50 or more - it's looking a little bit bleak.

Exactly. It came off heaps recently and oh i better evise my opinion blah blah and as soon as he gets out a couple of times blah blah why did he do this why did he do that. News flash - it's the way he bats. Nothing has changed since his Ashes heroics.

I agree with the credit points and the ashes. Still having a slap at one first over of the new ball is a little too reckless for my liking. If we were 7down, sure go ahead, but he was in a recognised batsman.

LarryLong
24th October 2014, 11:12 PM
I agree with the credit points and the ashes. Still having a slap at one first over of the new ball is a little too reckless for my liking. If we were 7down, sure go ahead, but he was in a recognised batsman.

I didn't see it, but I reckon I can close my eyes and imagine it pretty easily. :)

I guess he figured Johnson had this one covered anyway. Sounds like he's seeing them pretty well.

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2014, 11:15 PM

It's what he does. Not sure how anyone could not have worked that out by now. In a good position or bad if it's there to be hit he hits. Blocking around and gettin bogged down isn't what Haddin does and it's odds on he's better off for it.

mrbluu
24th October 2014, 11:21 PM
It's what he does. Not sure how anyone could not have worked that out by now. In a good position or bad if it's there to be hit he hits. Blocking around and gettin bogged down isn't what Haddin does and it's odds on he's better off for it.

I think you are as defensive of Haddin as I am critical. :D

Also I think Siddle should be batting below Lyons and O'Keefe....thoughts???

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2014, 11:25 PM
You pounce on Haddin like a fat kid (who hasn't eaten for 3 days) on a cupcake ;)

Siddles on an extended bad run so his batting spot is up in the air. Would not have put O'Keefe above him on debut tho.

backintheswing
24th October 2014, 11:30 PM
I have seen O'keefe open for NSW in the shorter stuff. Fairly good bat for a no. 10

mrbluu
24th October 2014, 11:45 PM
You pounce on Haddin like a fat kid (who hasn't eaten for 3 days) on a cupcake ;)

Siddles on an extended bad run so his batting spot is up in the air. Would not have put O'Keefe above him on debut tho.

This is that match that pissed me off about Haddin. Tight game, we were odds on to win and he decided that he need to see continuously throw his bat at swinging balls outside off stump. Its fine being a flashy or positive player and a great talent but he has no idea about game situations.

Go to the 11:25.
New Zealand vs Australia 2nd Test 2011/12 Full la…: http://youtu.be/E_ZrCTmlvQ0

This video doesn't show it, but he played and missed about 6 and 7 ball prior.

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2014, 11:50 PM
You still don't get him, and you're not going to.

mrbluu
24th October 2014, 11:54 PM
You still don't get him, and you're not going to.

I get him, he is a poor mans version of Gilchrist without the control and game awareness!!!

jimandr
25th October 2014, 12:24 AM
Disappointing batting performance by the Aussies, Warner excepted. Almost every bat looked comfortable until they got out, even the bowlers.

The pitch isn't playing any tricks, so I think we can still draw the game, but we have a bit of a history of not being able to play out for a day and a half. Other teams seems to be able to do it against us, though. I don't think they'll set us a target we can get. 500 minimum, I'd say, at about tea tomorrow.

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2014, 12:30 AM
I get him, he is a poor mans version of Gilchrist without the control and game awareness!!!

You are holding him to Gilchrists level? A once in a lifetime player? One of the biggest match winners in the history of cricket? I definitely get the picture now.

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2014, 12:39 AM
Disappointing batting performance by the Aussies, Warner excepted. Almost every bat looked comfortable until they got out, even the bowlers.

The pitch isn't playing any tricks, so I think we can still draw the game, but we have a bit of a history of not being able to play out for a day and a half. Other teams seems to be able to do it against us, though. I don't think they'll set us a target we can get. 500 minimum, I'd say, at about tea tomorrow.

It was disappointing alright Jim, especially given Pakistan are missing their best three bowlers. As you said, the pitch is holding up quite fine. Only two players have put their hand up for us thus far in the game. If it starts to break up and spin a bit on the 5th day we could be in some trouble. Even if it doesn't we still might be LOL

AndyP
25th October 2014, 07:43 AM
Haddin didn't build up credits for his batting in the Ashes. That just got him even for the shit beforehand. ;)

mrbluu
25th October 2014, 08:04 AM
Haddin didn't build up credits for his batting in the Ashes. That just got him even for the shit beforehand. ;)

Well put Andy!!!

Buzz
25th October 2014, 08:57 AM
He averages 35 in tests which historically is more than adequate for a keeper. Point the finger at the top six bar Warner if you want to critique Australia's total IMO.

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2014, 11:28 PM
Warner 3 tons in a row in Tests, Aussie record 4.

Wardy101
25th October 2014, 11:36 PM
Warner 3 tons in a row in Tests, Aussie record 4.

And the record will survive. Warner gone for 29

TheNuclearOne
26th October 2014, 12:03 AM
And the record will survive. Warner gone for 29

And a few others. We are presently woeful on sub continent pitches. We are also fragile when the ball reverses and anyone saying different has the blinkers on. Our batting comes off enough at home and on pitches like our own fortunately, but we are as stiff and rigid as a honeymooners member elsewhere. Our two more natural players of spin are both gorn. It's only a popgun attack too.

TheNuclearOne
26th October 2014, 12:06 AM
40 years since a batsman made two tons in a test against us. 66 years since we have successfully chased 400+.

Buzz
26th October 2014, 05:47 AM
It baffles me though how we can play perfectly good ODI cricket on the same tracks.

markTHEblake
26th October 2014, 09:23 AM
And a few others. We are presently woeful on sub continent pitches. And Middle East too

TheNuclearOne
26th October 2014, 09:52 AM
And Middle East too

:D

TheNuclearOne
26th October 2014, 09:53 AM
It baffles me though how we can play perfectly good ODI cricket on the same tracks.

Maybe the batting mindset has a little to do with it. They also crowd the bat for spinners in Tests more i'd guess.

Buzz
26th October 2014, 09:59 AM
I of course understand the different approaches, and yes it is a white ball vs a red ball, but the conditions are fundamentally the same.

For mine, Clarke is the main worry. As the Australians have repeatedly said and done over the years, if you target and get on top of the captain, then you go a long way towards being the dominant team. I don't think there's any doubt that Clarke's fitness struggles are affecting his form and while I'm not advocating he has to be scoring all the runs, he's clearly their main man and when he battles the Aussies do not look the same side.

Khawaja must be cursing the finger injury becuase his domestic form would have put his name right back on the page too I think for the home matches.

TheNuclearOne
26th October 2014, 10:33 AM
I of course understand the different approaches, and yes it is a white ball vs a red ball, but the conditions are fundamentally the same.

For mine, Clarke is the main worry. As the Australians have repeatedly said and done over the years, if you target and get on top of the captain, then you go a long way towards being the dominant team. I don't think there's any doubt that Clarke's fitness struggles are affecting his form and while I'm not advocating he has to be scoring all the runs, he's clearly their main man and when he battles the Aussies do not look the same side.

Khawaja must be cursing the finger injury becuase his domestic form would have put his name right back on the page too I think for the home matches.

Clarke's runs seem to have dried up for now and he's our lynch pin for sure. Totally agree injuries have ravaged his output. Be interesting with Kwaka, i wonder if he's still on the outer a bit as i believe Hughes is despite being there. They seem very reluctant to add him. Doolan should get the next Test but another pair of failures might have him looking over his shoulder. To be fair no-one except Warner has stood up so far and conditions will be vastly different over here and other places.

jimandr
26th October 2014, 09:53 PM
Hmm, same old story on a slow turner.

They make it look like a piece of cake with the bat, and we struggle on the same wicket. A couple of bats look good but don't go on, and Mitch Johnson looks as good as anybody.

I don't have an answer though. It looks like we'll just have to put up with it for a while when we go overseas, then come good on our home pitches (I hope).

coalesce
26th October 2014, 10:04 PM
If it's any consolation that's exactly what happen to us poms. It was the beginning of the end of that team...

Wardy101
26th October 2014, 10:12 PM
Great win by the warriors in matador cup this afternoon

TheNuclearOne
26th October 2014, 10:34 PM
If it's any consolation that's exactly what happen to us poms. It was the beginning of the end of that team...

You guys actually pumped India in India at the end of 2012. Your spinners matched if not surpassed theirs and your batting held together by Cook with a couple of brilliant cameo's was good enough to get you home. Anderson had a good spell or two of swing too. It was a sensational series win abroad. We have to look back to the days of Hayden and co for some joy.

coalesce
26th October 2014, 10:43 PM
Then we went to the UAE and got served

TheNuclearOne
26th October 2014, 11:18 PM
Then we went to the UAE and got served

Then you went to NZ for 3 draws before we came over to England.

coalesce
26th October 2014, 11:30 PM
Then you went to NZ for 3 draws before we came over to England.

Like I said, beginning of the end :)

We only beat you guys at home because you were an even bigger shambles than us before Lehmann took over. Oh and Ian Bell.

LarryLong
30th October 2014, 05:57 PM
Doolan and SOK dropped from the test side, ins are Starc and....

Maxwell.

Seriously, WTF?

I hope he proves me wrong, but I have no faith in selecting a guy on X factor, and even less faith in a test side with two all-rounders who couldn't command a spot on one discipline alone.

Pakistan batting first.

coalesce
30th October 2014, 06:54 PM
If Maxwell bats at 3 the world's gone mad

backintheswing
30th October 2014, 07:06 PM
Surely Steve Smith would go to 3? Maxwell at 5 I would think.

Sydney Hacker
30th October 2014, 07:18 PM
Surely Steve Smith would go to 3? Maxwell at 5 I would think. How does Clarke keep avoiding the responsibility of going up the order?

backintheswing
30th October 2014, 07:19 PM
The 'C' beside his name is his ticket to self preservation.

TheNuclearOne
30th October 2014, 07:34 PM
If Maxwell bats at 3 the world's gone mad

Smith is at 3.

coalesce
30th October 2014, 08:47 PM
There was a story on ABC news this afternoon saying it would be Maxwell. Smith is a much better choice on the subcontinent. I wouldn't put Clarke there with no form

Wardy101
30th October 2014, 09:34 PM
The 'C' beside his name is his ticket to self preservation.

surely that will only last so long. Was very disappointing last test given he is historically such a great player of spin

TheNuclearOne
30th October 2014, 10:05 PM
Injuries, lack of match fitness, lack of match practise and all the rest of it have decimated Clarkes form in recent history.

It must have been a difficult decision to drop Doolan when we are one Test away from being back out here against India. Conditions are a world away from what we will have in Australia and they had earmarked him for a position in which are grossly short of talent. He just got so damn bogged down against the spinners and it was hard to see how he could change it. Maxwell would be mostly picked in the hope he can bat aggressively against their tweakers and knock them off their stride. Should be interesting.

Smith to 3 is very interesting and i wonder if it is a bit of a dabble toward a more long term outcome down the track. He has been a very important batting cog for a while now batting down the order and is still improving. I hope the move, whether short term or long term works to his benefit.

jimandr
30th October 2014, 10:34 PM
I don't like this side. The batting is a weakness, so we weaken it further. It is just as well all our bowlers can bat.

I can't see anyone but Smith batting at three, but I don't like him there. He has only recently established himself at 5, and two failures may dent his confidence. Clarke is still our number one bat despite his recent form, so you don't want to put him under more pressure than he is already under, so I leave him at 4.

This will make either Marsh or Maxwell the least credentialed number 5 in recent history, unless Haddin moves up (and he's out of form as well).

I reckon it might all be a conspiracy to get Watson back in the team. Eliminate all his competitors, then he strolls back in against a popgun attack on good wickets.

However, if the pitch keep playing as it is doing it might not matter. It looks pretty easy at the moment, but that might just be their good batting. Younus looks very hard to dismiss.

coalesce
30th October 2014, 10:42 PM
Pick Phil Hughes!!

Jarro
30th October 2014, 10:47 PM
Pick Phil Hughes!!

Pick Usman !!

Pity he's injured :(

backintheswing
30th October 2014, 11:01 PM
Pick Joe Burns

jimandr
31st October 2014, 12:08 AM
Pick Phil Hughes!!

If they were dropping Doolan, I can't believe they didn't. Why did he tour at all if you are picking part time allrounders instead of him.

They pick 3 quicks, and leave Mitch Marsh in the team. Why? Surely Marsh is only there to give quicks a spell when they need one under a two pace/two spin scenario.

It makes no sense.

Already, we will need tons from Warner and Clarke, and maybe one other, just to save the game.

markTHEblake
31st October 2014, 12:10 AM
8 Bowlers used by Tea (or thereabouts) on the first day of a test match. Gotta be a record!
If you cant trust your main bowlers that early in the game, might us well surrender.

Sydney Hacker
31st October 2014, 06:00 AM
Pick Usman !!Pity he's injured :( Usman is the worst player of spin out of the lot of them!

LarryLong
31st October 2014, 11:08 PM
Looks like we're just a little screwed. What's Maxwell like at batting for a draw?

TheNuclearOne
1st November 2014, 01:03 AM
What are any of our bats like at playing for a draw. I'm trying to remember any notable rearguard actions from us to save a Test in recent history and things are pretty blank. We've been particlularly woeful batting many overs during the second innings in the subcontinent.