PDA

View Full Version : The great shot I hit while not in a comp/practicing/playing on my own thread.

Marto65
27th March 2014, 09:17 AM
This is the perfect place for all those shots that would have won nearest the pin, only to be stifled by the fact that you weren't really playing for anything, except maybe $2 from your playing partner.

Daves
27th March 2014, 09:18 AM
I have made 3 HIO outside comp, do they qualify?

Marto65
27th March 2014, 09:20 AM
Yep ... they'd be perfect for this thread Daves ... tell us all about them ...

Daves
27th March 2014, 09:24 AM
Yep ... they'd be perfect for this thread Daves ... tell us all about them ...

They weren't in a comp, what's to tell...;)

Marto65
27th March 2014, 09:27 AM
They weren't in a comp, what's to tell...;)

Correct answer.

mrbluu
27th March 2014, 09:34 AM
I once beat my mate 4 and 2 in match play over 9 holes.......we didn't even play for a drink so I think this is perfect for this thread.

Captain Nemo
27th March 2014, 09:40 AM
Yep, my 1 and only Hole In One on the 4th @ Royal Kogarah.
Only cost me 3 Peronis as was in a social hit after work with some reg's at the club on a tuesday i think, we where pretty much the only guys in the bar afterwoods....

3Puttpete
27th March 2014, 09:41 AM
I made a putt

Lagerlover
27th March 2014, 09:45 AM
I made a birdie once..only to lose the ball the very next shot

Johnny Canuck
27th March 2014, 09:45 AM
I made a putt

Was it your third attempt?

Marto65
27th March 2014, 09:48 AM
Was it your third attempt?

:lol:

Johnny Canuck
27th March 2014, 09:49 AM
Great thread by the way, Marto.

3Puttpete
27th March 2014, 09:50 AM
First attempt at that particular putt...I rarely have two attempts from the same spot.

oldracer
27th March 2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks Marto, now I have the place to put all my personal achievements on the golf course without upsetting anyone, now where do I start?

Marto65
27th March 2014, 09:56 AM
The question is ... should I have put Ambrose competitions in the header?

KristianJ
27th March 2014, 09:57 AM
Not only have I holed a 150m 2nd shot whilst playing on my own, the green was so elevated that the first I knew of it going in was after 5 minutes of searching everywhere else but the hole.

Marto65
27th March 2014, 10:07 AM
Here is another question .... appropriate thread as it wasn't in a comp.

Par 72 course. Rated 75.1 Slope Rating 134.

If I'm playing of 6.8 at the time, what stableford score should be considered 'played to my handicap'?

Johnny Canuck
27th March 2014, 10:09 AM
36. Slope, ratings, etc are bs.

Captain Nemo
27th March 2014, 10:15 AM
36. Slope, ratings, etc are bs.

hahahahaha
(oop's wrong thread) :wink:

Lagerlover
27th March 2014, 10:39 AM
we where pretty much the only guys in the bar afterwoods....

Sorry to pull you up on this L, but you've spelt "were" and "afterwards" incorrectly.

"guys" doesn't quite look right either ;)

Shortylook
27th March 2014, 10:43 AM
Whoo hoo, another thread tailor made for myself. I'm a champion every day except Thursdays and Saturdays when it counts

Marto65
27th March 2014, 11:09 AM
I hit some good drives at the range on Tuesday.

Lagerlover
27th March 2014, 11:13 AM
The question is ... should I have put Ambrose competitions in the header?

are you questioning my birdie?

Marto65
27th March 2014, 11:39 AM
are you questioning my birdie?

Merely asking whether it should be in this thread or another.

Lagerlover
27th March 2014, 11:43 AM
the final shot was obviously fairly special.

Mububban
27th March 2014, 11:49 AM
Made a couple of eagles on par 5s. Chipped in from off the green twice. Broken 90 a whole 4 times. But all for nought as I'm yet to play my first comp round :D

Shadesy
27th March 2014, 11:58 AM
I snapped hook a drive into a net. Second I hit the pole of the net and ended up past the tees. Third I scrubbed to a the corner. Holed the 90 metre pitch for par.. On a Friday arvo with my boss.

Birdied index one at my home course with the FIL. I have a pic of that. Surely that belongs in this thread.

benno_r
27th March 2014, 12:54 PM
Being the cautious (erratic) player I am, I rarely go for the green in 2 on par fives. At my recent Mission Hills trip, I managed to bomb a drive into this position:

After my playing partners reminded me of my frilly knickers, lipstick, and all other girly type stuff, I pulled the new Tight Lies 4W. I hit the sweetest, most awesome shot I ever hit, to have it sailing towards the pin. I was shaking a bit as I walked towards the green knowing I was putting for a rare eagle, I felt like Ian Poulter about to win a HSBC championship.

And then I 3 jacked for par.

Hatchman
27th March 2014, 01:05 PM
I can think of a few but most recent was a couple of years ago before I got the bug again after my holiday.
One of my Supervisors who retired from playing footy and was looking for a new sport to play pestered me to come out for a hit as the shop floor blabbed to I used to play a bit and was good (their words not mine, I'd class myself as ok).
I was 6 over going down 17 and pushed my tee shot into the trees on the right. 110 out and not able to see the green for all the trees sitting on hardpan dirt. My work college was over in the same direction as me and asked what are you going to do from there, chip out backwards? I took one look at the height of the trees and said, na I'll go over the top straight at the green. He laughed. After working out my line I pulled the PW and picked it clean a whistle. Get around the other side and my ball is only 6 foot away. Hole putt for birdie much to amazement.

18th hole I pull my drive this time into the trees and shrubs on the left. One again I can't see the green 130m from where my ball is and there is a heap of bushes and small trees in front. One large bush is in the swing path to go straight at the green. Work college is again on the same side and says I want to see how you get out of this one. I survey the situation and tell him I'm going to hit a half punch cut 5 iron under that branch a then have it climb over that tree and cut back to the green. My aim point was 20 meters left of the green. Take swing and contact is clean. Ball goes under first branch, just climbs over next tree than we loss sight due to all the bushes and trees and the angle we were on. After exiting the trees we see a ball on the green and it looks reasonably close from a distance. Get to the green and it's only a foot away and work college just keeps mutter I don't fn believe it over and over.

3Puttpete
27th March 2014, 01:29 PM
Being the cautious (erratic) player I am, I rarely go for the green in 2 on par fives. At my recent Mission Hills trip, I managed to bomb a drive into this position:

After my playing partners reminded me of my frilly knickers, lipstick, and all other girly type stuff, I pulled the new Tight Lies 4W. I hit the sweetest, most awesome shot I ever hit, to have it sailing towards the pin. I was shaking a bit as I walked towards the green knowing I was putting for a rare eagle, I felt like Ian Poulter about to win a HSBC championship.

And then I 3 jacked for par.

Good man

Sydney Hacker
27th March 2014, 02:05 PM
I once had a HIO the very hole after DQ'ing myself from the comp for a lost ball.

mrbluu
27th March 2014, 02:06 PM
I once had a HIO the very hole after DQ'ing myself from the comp for a lost ball. I think we have a winner!!!

simmsy
27th March 2014, 02:45 PM
Ouch.
Yep hard to beat that

Captain Nemo
27th March 2014, 02:49 PM
I once had a HIO the very hole after DQ'ing myself from the comp for a lost ball.

:smt018
You didnt read the thread title properly did you.... ;)

mrbluu
27th March 2014, 03:07 PM

Actually he did, cos he was no longer in the comp at the time of the HIO, that's why he is the winner!!!

Dotty
27th March 2014, 03:07 PM
I once got an albatross at Banff Springs on Microsoft Links.

mrbluu
27th March 2014, 03:09 PM
I once got an albatross at Banff Springs on Microsoft Links.

I bet you were juiced up on coke as well!!!

Dotty
27th March 2014, 03:11 PM
I bet you were juiced up on coke as well!!!
Being a computer game, it was probably Jolt.

LeftyHoges
27th March 2014, 03:20 PM
There's some Canadian guy on here who keeps claiming that he beat me in some sort of official super-duper matchplay competition.

Sydney Hacker
27th March 2014, 03:48 PM

As per Bluu's reply. No longer in the comp, no prize, no glory, no free drinks shouted afterwards...

Monsta
27th March 2014, 04:00 PM
I only play in comp, so no posting for me here 8)

LeftyHoges
27th March 2014, 04:10 PM
I only play in comp, so no posting for me here 8)

Yep, practicing is for chumps.

Mububban
27th March 2014, 04:53 PM

Agreed, close the thread, can't see how anyone can top that :D

Jarro
27th March 2014, 04:55 PM
I holed consecutive bunker shots while playing a praccy 9 on Nudgees South course.

Par 4 5th hole ..... in the trap for my second, played out and holed it, dropped another ball closeby and holed it also.

Jackson
27th March 2014, 05:07 PM
I hit it to 3 feet on our ~210m par 3 yesterday and made the putt. Was pretty damn happy with myself and it impressed the two old blokes waiting to tee off. Thank god they didn't see any of the rest of the round.

Courty
27th March 2014, 05:36 PM
Like Titleist, my only HIO was in a social hit one afternoon at Cairns GC playing with Tomson. At least I had a witness. :roll:

GuyIncognito
27th March 2014, 05:49 PM
My first four aces weren't in comps...

Marto65
27th March 2014, 06:04 PM
I holed consecutive bunker shots while playing a praccy 9 on Nudgees South course.

Par 4 5th hole ..... in the trap for my second, played out and holed it, dropped another ball closeby and holed it also.

So, you holed a practice shot, and then holed a practice shot of a practice shot?

Now that's what this thread is about. More marks for no witnesses.

graham_w
28th March 2014, 08:34 AM
I hit it to 3 feet on our ~210m par 3 yesterday and made the putt. Was pretty damn happy with myself and it impressed the two old blokes waiting to tee off. Thank god they didn't see any of the rest of the round.

You probably mistook the look on their face as impressed. They didn't even see you tee off, let alone see the 200+ to the green.

I bet they were probably just holding it in, trying not to shit their pants.

That's what old people do, isn't it Marto?

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2014, 10:45 AM
There's some Canadian guy on here who keeps claiming that he beat me in some sort of official super-duper matchplay competition.

1 up after 36, although it doesn't belong in this thread.

LeftyHoges
28th March 2014, 11:49 AM
1 up after 36, although it doesn't belong in this thread.

It belongs exactly in this thread, especially as we didn't play in comp that day.

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2014, 12:10 PM
It belongs exactly in this thread, especially as we didn't play in comp that day.

Can't play match play in a comp, it would be against the rules.

LeftyHoges
28th March 2014, 12:17 PM
Can't play match play in a comp, it would be against the rules.

Another reason to make the result less official as we were playing in an OZgolf stableford competition. You're not providing a very strong case here. :mrgreen:

Waddzy
28th March 2014, 12:20 PM
Another reason to make the result less official as we were playing in an OZgolf stableford competition. You're not providing a very strong case here. :mrgreen:
I sense this match plays on your mind a lot still lefty? Was it that big a defeat?

LeftyHoges
28th March 2014, 12:25 PM
I sense this match plays on your mind a lot still lefty? Was it that big a defeat?

Nope. Just making sure JC doesn't consider himself to be superior to me. Which still is any massive accomplishment anyway. :lol:

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2014, 12:26 PM

Crushing.

I made an incredible up and down on the last and the pressure made the Lefty 3 stab from 15 feet. It would weigh on my mind too.

LeftyHoges
28th March 2014, 12:28 PM
Crushing.

I made an incredible up and down on the last and the pressure made the Lefty 3 stab from 15 feet. It would weigh on my mind too.

You got great assistance from a nearest the pin sign after Hocko miraculously found your ball in the middle of deep shit, while I 3 jiggled on a 3 foot breaking putt from 25 feet being extremely unlucky in the process.

Anyway, I don't think about it any more. My gross prize on the other hand...

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2014, 12:31 PM
You got great assistance from a nearest the pin sign after Hocko miraculously found your ball in the middle of deep shit, while I 3 jiggled on a 3 foot breaking putt from 25 feet being extremely unlucky in the process.

Anyway, I don't think about it any more. My gross prize on the other hand...

You'll get a shot at redemption this year.

Don't plan on making any room in your luggage for the "Special Challenge Match Play" Cup.

If that sign wasn't there, I was jizzing that bunker shot in.

LeftyHoges
28th March 2014, 12:34 PM
You'll get a shot at redemption this year.

Don't plan on making any room in your luggage for the "Special Challenge Match Play" Cup.

If that sign wasn't there, I was jizzing that bunker shot in.

Can I play you at Kwinana? Seems you're an easy beat there. ;)

And that's another thing, there was no trophy! What sort of matchplay comp has no trophy!? I'm declaring it null and void.

There was a least 4 witnesses there who beg to differ on your last point. But you keep believing that. :lol:

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2014, 12:38 PM
Can I play you at Kwinana? Seems you're an easy beat there. ;)

And that's another thing, there was no trophy! What sort of matchplay comp has no trophy!? I'm declaring it null and void.

There was a least 4 witnesses there who beg to differ on your last point. But you keep believing that. :lol:

I'll get you a photo of the trophy soon. It is currently doing the rounds of the state along with The Nully Cup.

Anytime at Ktown. I only struggle against Leftys that don't have to change clubs to make pennant squads. ;)

sms316
28th March 2014, 12:41 PM
Can I play you at Kwinana? Seems you're an easy beat there. ;) :lol:

sms316
28th March 2014, 12:42 PM
Anytime at Ktown. I only struggle against Leftys that don't have to change clubs to make pennant squads. ;) Imagine if I had of played well in either match.

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2014, 12:53 PM
Imagine if I had of played well in either match.

6 birdies at Bunbury.

How many at KTown, 5?

sms316
28th March 2014, 12:54 PM
6 birdies at Bunbury.

How many at KTown, 5?
Fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............... .... plop.

LeftyHoges
28th March 2014, 03:16 PM
I'll get you a photo of the trophy soon. It is currently doing the rounds of the state along with The Nully Cup.

Anytime at Ktown. I only struggle against Leftys that don't have to change clubs to make pennant squads. ;)

Who's the lefty changing clubs to make pennant squads?

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2014, 03:26 PM
Who's the lefty changing clubs to make pennant squads?

Didn't you struggle to crack pennant squads in the past? Jack was too strong.

LeftyHoges
28th March 2014, 03:28 PM
Nah, Jack and I have never played at the same club concurrently. He joined my old club about a year after I left. I played #1 or #2 at that club for two years, and lower for another one initially before they recognised my brilliance. :lol:

jimandr
14th July 2014, 06:07 PM
I knew there was a thread for this somewhere. I was going to put this experience in the Cracked the Game thread, but this is the right place.

Today, playing a solo practice round and hitting two golf balls, I holed my 6 iron approach from 150m on the 6th at Ballina for eagle. While I hit the shot perfect, it was still a total fluke, having landed well short of the green, bouncing on exactly the correct line and hitting the pin quite firmly.

Nobody anywhere nearby saw it, so I couldn't even celebrate properly.

AndyP
14th July 2014, 07:42 PM
You da man, Jim. Now that you've done it in practice, it should be easy to repeat during a comp.

Courty
14th July 2014, 09:21 PM
Nice one, Jim.

All those holed shots are flukes. But on the flipside, you're always trying to hole it as long as you can reach it!

G.K
15th July 2014, 12:57 AM
I'd almost forgotten about this thread! I've got a couple to report.

One was during an ambrose event last Thursday, shortish par 5, playing the second shot from just off the left side of the fairway. Lasered it at 167 to the pin, was slightly downhill, with a bit of wind behind, flushed my 6 iron, bounced just on the front fringe, had a little hop and stopped about 2 foot from the pin. Nice tap in for eagle.

Playing a quick 9 for some practice by myself on Saturday arvo, hitting a couple of balls, par 4, about 135-140 out, thinned an 8 iron which went flying over the back of the green at a low trajectory. Reloaded, hit it properly this time, ball landed on the left fringe then took the slope onto the green, hit the flagstick and dropped.

All arse, no class!

Daves
15th July 2014, 07:39 AM
I hit one of those sand shots yesterday that you see occasionally on the tour. Caught it a fraction too well, and it looked like it was going to end up well past the flag. But it was dead on line, caught the flag and drop down beside the hole for a 3" tap in.