PDA

View Full Version : Callaway big bertha Alpha

crops23
25th March 2014, 08:48 AM
Just about to get one of these new drivers from Callaway anyone had a go at one yet and what did they think my HCP is 9 so I'm hoping its goes great

Waddzy
25th March 2014, 08:52 AM
Alot of people didnt rate them.. I personally had a hit with one at drummond's on the weekend and wasnt a fan. Still think the Razr fit is the best callaway driver ive hit so far. But hope it works for you mate, did you have a hit with it first?

crops23
25th March 2014, 08:55 AM
I havent as yet tried the standard bertha and liked it and got this for the same price so fingers crossed!

3oneday
25th March 2014, 09:04 AM
I reckon you'll love it :)

Dotty
25th March 2014, 09:10 AM
I tried one a PPGL and their computer said it didn't work for me.
A mate has just replaced his Razr Fit with a BBA. By his reaction, you'd think that he'd found the mother lode of Katy Perry GIFs.

We both play off 9. (I don't have the clubhead speed to do the club justice. He also took the BBA demo club out, as soon as it came into the proshop.)

simmsy
25th March 2014, 10:56 AM
mmmmmmm
Mother load of Katy Perry gif's

mmmmmmm

rubin
25th March 2014, 11:11 AM
I had a hot of one the other day monitor only though.

It was saying I was gaining about 6 yards. Would be $100 a yard. Dispersion was the same. Spin slightly lower.

Apparently it would take my golf to 'the next level'.

Ashes
25th March 2014, 11:21 AM
I had a hot of one the other day monitor only though.

It was saying I was gaining about 6 yards. Would be $100 a yard. Dispersion was the same. Spin slightly lower.

Apparently it would take my golf to 'the next level'.

Level 1?

rubin
25th March 2014, 11:25 AM
Level 1?

He didn't say. If I was buying a $600 driver, I'd be wanting more than a single step up.

Although I can't see how 6yards will improve my game. At all

benno_r
25th March 2014, 11:35 AM
Gave one a hit on the Drummonds Monitor. Was trying out Fairway woods, so didn't test another driver, but numbers are something along the lines of:
Adams Tight Lies 4W: 205m carry, 3400spin baby fade
Wilson M3 3W: 220m carry, 3200spin baby fade
BBA 9.5: 145m carry, 700 spin straight

Hit it a few times - safety tape said I was getting it within a decent center zone, but launch was down, and monitor said it was going nowhere. Felt awful too!

Note: I know Drummond monitors suck!

Steve57
25th March 2014, 11:36 AM
Gave one a hit on the Drummonds Monitor. Was trying out Fairway woods, so didn't test another driver, but numbers are something along the lines of:

Hit it a few times - safety tape said I was getting it within a decent center zone, but launch was down, and monitor said it was going nowhere. Felt awful too!

Obviously had it set up to sell you a fairway wood!:lol::lol:

crops23
25th March 2014, 11:36 AM
Gave one a hit on the Drummonds Monitor. Was trying out Fairway woods, so didn't test another driver, but numbers are something along the lines of: Adams Tight Lies 4W: 205m carry, 3400spin baby fade Wilson M3 3W: 220m carry, 3200spin baby fade BBA 9.5: 145m carry, 700 spin straight Hit it a few times - safety tape said I was getting it within a decent center zone, but launch was down, and monitor said it was going nowhere. Felt awful too! Note: I know Drummond monitors suck! Were you hitting it left handed????

benno_r
25th March 2014, 11:42 AM
Were you hitting it left handed????

Nope. I even considered that the driver might have been broken / damaged.

Normally I use 10.5 / 11.5 deg mid spin drivers (seem to suit my game), but this thing was nuts on low spin. Hit 3 shots with it (to get my free SR2 balls), and each time was the same.

I still want to hit it outdoors for further confirmation, because it is a beautiful club.

Edit: my swingspeed was 102mph (about right for me)

backintheswing
25th March 2014, 11:49 AM
I will have to have a hit of one at drummonds in Townsville tomorrow.

crops23
25th March 2014, 11:54 AM
Hopefully I have a bit more luck benno coming back from a shoulder reconstruction will take me a while but I've got plenty of time

benno_r
25th March 2014, 12:06 PM
To be honest, I never expected much - I have never liked any of the "low spin" drivers - Anser, SLDR, Covert Tour et al.

And best of luck with the recovery.

hocko
25th March 2014, 12:27 PM
I've tried it and didn't like it.

Hatchman
25th March 2014, 03:45 PM

700 spin seems awfully low I mean god awful low. No wonder it was going nowhere. This is even harder to understand when you say you swing speed is 102 in a post further down.

Some thing doesn't seem to add up.

BUSHY
25th March 2014, 03:55 PM
Yeah 700 is like a knuckle ball. It's definitely weird. Typo?

I hit one and didn't really like it. Kind of felt 'dead' off the face and got poor distance and the flight was all over the place. I'm not really a fan of the shape of the head either. The X2hot however wasn't too bad, still I think Callaway went backwards this year in drivers.

benno_r
25th March 2014, 04:42 PM
700 spin seems awfully low I mean god awful low. No wonder it was going nowhere. This is even harder to understand when you say you swing speed is 105 in a post further down.

Some thing doesn't seem to add up.

Nope those numbers are correct. It didn't add up for me either, but it happened 2 more times. Like I said before, I seriously think it was defective or broken.

hocko
25th March 2014, 07:05 PM
Tape on it will do that

3oneday
25th March 2014, 07:16 PM
Does the computer spit out "baby fade"?

Maybe with driver it said "gay slap" and you just don't want to say?

benno_r
25th March 2014, 07:54 PM
haha ok I give up!

It was an amazing driver, and I have murdered my parents for the inheritance, just to go and get one...

Gay slap was on a different monitor in a dark booth later in the evening...

And I had tape on the fairways, they still had decent spin vs my own Adams without tape.

Iain
25th March 2014, 07:56 PM
Shitty monitor would be my guess.

Hatchman
25th March 2014, 09:02 PM
Crappy golf balls with worn dimples will give funny spin numbers and results.
For those that can remember the Top Flight Strata ball may recall some dodgy batches getting out into circulation. Was playing with a mate who hit some really bizarre shots flight wise in the first couple of holes with a new pill before he realised the dimples were shallow on one part of the ball compared to what they should be. Checked the other two in the sleeve and they were the same or worse.

crops23
5th April 2014, 08:01 AM
Crappy golf balls with worn dimples will give funny spin numbers and results.For those that can remember the Top Flight Strata ball may recall some dodgy batches getting out into circulation. Was playing with a mate who hit some really bizarre shots flight wise in the first couple of holes with a new pill before he realised the dimples were shallow on one part of the ball compared to what they should be. Checked the other two in the sleeve and they were the same or worse.Absolute bomber even not out of the screws and she just keeps going also has got rid off my gay fade and gives me a higher ball flight!!