PDA

View Full Version : how do handicaps work

rough_rider
21st March 2014, 10:31 PM
just curuous how they work, got my first comp tomorrow and im playing off 25.1 and just unsure how it affect my score card, never been a member nor played a comp OR had a handicap haha, thanks.

Dotty
21st March 2014, 10:37 PM
You get a sticker and you can park wherever you like. ;)

It's a figure, based on your past record, that is used to adjust your golf score tomorrow and create a 'level playing field' for all competitors.

Tomorrow's score will then be combined with your previous scores, to create a new handicap for your next game.

rough_rider
21st March 2014, 10:38 PM
i understand how the handing cards in and a lower scores drops your handicap, what i mean is in a comp or so on does my h/c affect my overall scorecard?

if so how?

backintheswing
21st March 2014, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't this have been explained to you at the "new members interview"

rough_rider
21st March 2014, 10:45 PM
what new members interveiw.....

backintheswing
21st March 2014, 10:46 PM
There's your answer.

rough_rider
21st March 2014, 10:48 PM
well actually that didnt help at all...

Gw 86
21st March 2014, 10:49 PM
You get 25 shots over par ?

backintheswing
21st March 2014, 10:50 PM
The club you joined has a responsibility to ensure that you know how the handicapping system works, what different competitions there are and how to score stabledord points or a par event.

They obviously haven't done that and now you will have to rely on your playing partners tomorrow to help you. Some may get the shits ..... Be warned haha.

Dotty
21st March 2014, 10:50 PM
Just get the marker to record the number of strokes for each hole and sign the card. You sign the card also, to say that each of these are correct.

The committee is obliged to do the rest.

rough_rider
21st March 2014, 10:54 PM
it may have been cos i joined with a month to go in the members year, new members year starts end of the month, might get told then who knows.

so basically i get 25 shots per over par? so say i shoot an 80 the will drop my score 25 shots? or am i wrong?

backintheswing
21st March 2014, 10:54 PM
As an example, when new members joined Oxley there was the following:

- you had to be introduced to the captain or president etc
- you had to attend an introduction night, where they did a rules presentation and then a handicap/competition scoring presentation. You were also given a "rules of golf" book.

rough_rider
21st March 2014, 11:02 PM
dare say if something like that happens at emerald lakes, it will happen in the next month or so, well hopefully i shoot good tomorrow hahaha

Daves
21st March 2014, 11:04 PM
it may have been cos i joined with a month to go in the members year, new members year starts end of the month, might get told then who knows.

so basically i get 25 shots per over par? so say i shoot an 80 the will drop my score 25 shots? or am i wrong?

You shoot 80 with a newly allocated 25 handicap, and your hide will be nailed up over the club's honour board!

Daves
21st March 2014, 11:07 PM
As an example, when new members joined Oxley there was the following:

- you had to be introduced to the captain or president etc
- you had to attend an introduction night, where they did a rules presentation and then a handicap/competition scoring presentation. You were also given a "rules of golf" book.

Do any clubs still do this? Mine hasn't done it for a year or two ,as far as I am aware. I gather it was seen as intimidatory.

Jackson
21st March 2014, 11:09 PM
Are you playing stroke, stableford or par?
Either way your playing partners will be able to explain it to you and point out which holes you get shots on, most people are happy to help out the new guy, unless you start strong and look like you're gonna score 40 points. Then you will be on your own...

G.K
21st March 2014, 11:18 PM
You shoot 80 with a newly allocated 25 handicap, and your hide will be nailed up over the club's honour board!

From the "What did you shoot" thread...

not sure how the "points" works that you speak of, but played emerald yesterday and shot an 82. rather happy with that.

I can see someone's arse getting nailed up..........

3Puttpete
21st March 2014, 11:30 PM
Try this roughy

http://www.golf.org.au/site/_content/document/00014058-source.pdf

Also, if you know what sort of comp it is, stroke/stableford etc, a quick google search will sort you out

rough_rider
22nd March 2014, 12:03 AM
comp is 4BBB 4 ball best ball, does this "best ball" oly happen from first shot, or keep going throughout the hole?
also yeah, handed in 3 cards when i first joined that have very average scores, now im pretty dialed in on the course and my scores have dropped significantly.

Gw 86
22nd March 2014, 01:16 AM
Let us know what you win rr

Gw 86
22nd March 2014, 01:19 AM
Obviously dropped . 4bbb is playing with a partner best score counts basically , from what you have said you might not need a partner to win ....BANDIT....

Johnny Canuck
22nd March 2014, 04:42 AM
Let your partner keep the team scorecard tomorrow. You'll get an understanding pretty quickly.

Coldtopper
22nd March 2014, 06:34 AM
From the "What did you shoot" thread...
I can see someone's arse getting nailed up.......... . Funny thread going on here!
Park anywhere!!
Dialed on the course? Do you do drugs Danny?

Look forward to reading your results RR and play well!

Buzz
22nd March 2014, 07:43 AM
If you are off 25, then the scorecard will have an index. You get an extra shot on holes marked index 1-18, and two shots on holes marked 19-25.
Think of it as increasing par on the hole. For example let's say the hole marked 19 index is a par four, it is now a par six for you.

Since 4BBB is a form of stableford... If you get a handicap par you get 2 points for the hole, handicap birdie 3, handicap eagle 4. Handicap bogie is 1, handicap double bogey is zero or a wipe. Once you wipe you can pick up your ball to sped up play.

Your best ball score is as implies, if you have a 3 pointer on the first and your partner a 2 then yours is the best ball and your team scores 3. Team result will be the best ball total from each of the 18 holes.

Good luck!

3oneday
22nd March 2014, 08:14 AM
Make sure you start a thread, how about something like "my first comp game". Then , maybe one for "my first comp win", then "the day I broke 80".

Should be cool.

Hatchman
22nd March 2014, 11:10 AM
Make sure you start a thread, how about something like "my first comp game". Then , maybe one for "my first comp win", then "the day I broke 80".

Should be cool.

Could be one thread if he's already had an 82.
I think it should be titled "Why Are Others So Unkind To New Members" :mrgreen:

Yossarian
22nd March 2014, 11:13 AM
Are you Gold Coast Golfer?

rough_rider
22nd March 2014, 02:39 PM
yes gold coast golfer, and thanks for the input.
played OK not the greatest, tho pretty sure ill take a ctp on the 8th dropped it about a foot n a half or so away from the hole choked down 7i on 130m par 3.

mike
22nd March 2014, 05:12 PM
Are you Gold Coast Golfer? Hahaha. I was going to ask this a couple of weeks ago.

Captain Nemo
22nd March 2014, 05:20 PM
Do any clubs still do this? Mine hasn't done it for a year or two ,as far as I am aware. I gather it was seen as intimidatory.

Ours still deos all that and more....

Coldtopper
22nd March 2014, 05:38 PM
I think it should be titled "Why Are Others So Unkind To New Members" :mrgreen: +1

Maybe only done by successful clubs and clubs on the up!
Personally I think all clubs should have a members introduction. It is very intimidating for new members to be expected to know club rules, tee times etc. As a new member of two clubs recently one introduction was just horrible and the other sure had a great introduction strategy for new members.Then there is the not knowing anyone aspect and clubs wonder why the numbers of new members retention is dropping oz wide.
Good stuff RR keep posting good numbers
PS. CTP is more commonly known as NTP

3Puttpete
22nd March 2014, 06:35 PM
CTP is more commonly known as NTP

Would that be VTP?

rough_rider
22nd March 2014, 06:51 PM
+1

Maybe only done by successful clubs and clubs on the up!
Personally I think all clubs should have a members introduction. It is very intimidating for new members to be expected to know club rules, tee times etc. As a new member of two clubs recently one introduction was just horrible and the other sure had a great introduction strategy for new members.Then there is the not knowing anyone aspect and clubs wonder why the numbers of new members retention is dropping oz wide.
Good stuff RR keep posting good numbers
PS. CTP is more commonly known as NTP

same same, i said to someone the same todat i wrote ntp and hes like u mean ctp? same shite

oldracer
22nd March 2014, 07:01 PM
yes gold coast golfer, and thanks for the input.
played OK not the greatest, tho pretty sure ill take a ctp on the 8th dropped it about a foot n a half or so away from the hole choked down 7i on 130m par 3. OK how many strokes (no homo) just to keep the thread going

Coldtopper
22nd March 2014, 07:07 PM
Would that be VTP? :D Thats better again!