PDA

View Full Version : 9 holes at first light and home in time for breakfast

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 11:56 AM
As a dad with 2 kids under 8, kid's soccer, chores around the house and of course work - 5 hour comp rounds are killing me.

Anyone do this? Does it give you your fix for the week?

Anyone play a quick 9 holes at first light and home in time for breakfast? Does it give you your fix for the week? Is a Sunday morning in Sydney going to be hard to get on for a qiuck 9?

rubin
20th March 2014, 11:59 AM
Any chance you know a bloke in WA, lives in Waroona, goes by the online name of Shortylook?

AndyP
20th March 2014, 12:02 PM
Why not 18? ;)
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/26481-Speed-Golf

I finish work at 4:30 to 5, and play 18 at my home course. I try to do it on Monday or Tuesday, as I know the course will be quieter, although there aren't many around at that time anyway. Give yourself an hour and a half before the sun sets and you could do 9.

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 12:05 PM
Because I coach 2 kid's soccer teams and play O/35 myself so training and games don't leave me with any time of any evening.

Let me ask this in another way, what do you other dad's out there do to get your fix each week?

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 12:06 PM
Any chance you know a bloke in WA, lives in Waroona, goes by the online name of Shortylook?

Are we still going on with this shit. So now I can't even ask simple questions or just have a general chat huh?

sms316
20th March 2014, 12:06 PM
If my home club wasn't under a legal order from a prick who lives 100m away from the first fairway, I probably would.

3Puttpete
20th March 2014, 12:11 PM
Are we still going on with this shit. So now I can't even ask simple questions or just have a general chat huh?

Relax

AndyP
20th March 2014, 12:12 PM
Because I coach 2 kid's soccer teams and play O/35 myself so training and games don't leave me with any time of any evening.

Let me ask this in another way, what do you other dad's out there do to get your fix each week?Since you seriously answered why, I'll assume that you didn't bother reading the link that I provided.

If you're keen enough, you'll find a way to make it happen.

wazandnic
20th March 2014, 12:14 PM
I would love to do a quick nine (morning or afternoon) but as you say being a dad to young kids makes that tough. I usually squeeze in a game on a weekend (Sat or Sun comp) probably 3 weeks out of 5.... but it is generally early so I am not gone all day. The wife understands I need some time also, as does she. But yeah as winter approaches, days are shorter and soccer and footy season approaches, game time will get less :(

As for your 9 hole early on a Sunday in Sydney... I think you have buckleys! Unfortunately. Might have a better chance late Sunday arvo??

I guess I usually get my fix by a quick visit to the range and smashing a large bucket of balls... and then putting at home on the carpet after the kids are in bed.... or by surfing these golf forums and buying stuff! ;)

rubin
20th March 2014, 12:16 PM

Relax

What 3PP said.

As we had suggested to Shorty some time ago - use the search function.

AP has pointed you to a thread that has a pretty big discussion on what you asked.

Dangals
20th March 2014, 12:17 PM
I used to do that where I would get out to the course at first light and spend time either playing as many holes as I can fit in (usually 2 ball worst ball) or spending time on our practice area hitting chips/bunker shots/putts etc...

However now the wife is leaving early for work I have kid duty of a morning and that has taken my morning time away.... I hope to get out for the odd afternoon hit but with daylight savings finishing soon that time is going to be very limited.

I will probably end up using the range more of an evening to just work on technique and then get my weekly game in on the weekend.

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 12:18 PM
What 3PP said.

As we had suggested to Shorty some time ago - use the search function.

AP has pointed you to a thread that has a pretty big discussion on what you asked.

Great I'll check it out now. Thanks.

Yossarian
20th March 2014, 12:34 PM
Ignore rubin. He thinks he is the forum police.

3Puttpete
20th March 2014, 12:35 PM
Great I'll check it out now. Thanks.

And any reference to Shorty is a "dig" at shorty, not at you

Lagerlover
20th March 2014, 12:47 PM
I'm with you mate on the early starts. Don't enjoy slow games, and with kids demanding most of the weekend, happy to tee off at 6.

goughy
20th March 2014, 01:43 PM
Jaster and I used to do this all the time, maybe one or twice a week. But it didn't ease the need to play comp rounds. It was like a smoker picking up a 2/3's used butt of the ground to get a quick fix, but it doesn't solve the needs.

Waddzy
20th March 2014, 02:17 PM
I was planning on doing this when I started my new job.. then I decided to start work an hour earlier so I can possibly get afternoon range time.. neither has happened yet. I dont know what Sydney is like but you could possibly get a start on the back 9 at a course if your playing 9 holes only? means you have no effect on the field.. Unless its a 2 tee start..

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 02:35 PM
And any reference to Shorty is a "dig" at shorty, not at you

Understand.

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 02:35 PM
Jaster and I used to do this all the time, maybe one or twice a week. But it didn't ease the need to play comp rounds. It was like a smoker picking up a 2/3's used butt of the ground to get a quick fix, but it doesn't solve the needs.

That's how I reckon I'll feel.

3oneday
20th March 2014, 02:40 PM
Once daylight savings ends you'll be a chance again, but it's still dark at 6.30ish now.

Easier way is to go after 5.30 or so on a Satdy or Sunday arvo. I've done this a few times and will possibly go this weekend, subject to the completion of my shed.

Scifisicko
20th March 2014, 03:14 PM

Let me ask this in another way, what do you other dad's out there do to get your fix each week?

Play first group in the field with others in the same boat. Get round in sub three.

Mububban
20th March 2014, 03:20 PM
As a dad with 2 kids under 8, kid's soccer, chores around the house and of course work - 5 hour comp rounds are killing me.

Anyone do this? Does it give you your fix for the week?

Anyone play a quick 9 holes at first light and home in time for breakfast? Does it give you your fix for the week? Is a Sunday morning in Sydney going to be hard to get on for a qiuck 9?

Same boat here with young kids. I've done that a few times, woken up early and couldn't get back to sleep so I hopped in the car and walked/jogged my way around 9 holes before going to work. I start at 7:30am so I've got to tee off by 6am.
My scoring didn't really change due to the extra speed, which was interesting.
It scratches the itch somewhat, but not anywhere near like playing 18 does if that's what you're used to? That said, I hardly ever get to play 18 for the same reason, 5 hours out of the house on weekends isn't very fair on the wife.

I play 9 some Sundays, which is when I usually take the kids to visit my parents so during their nap/quiet time I'll duck out and play 9 nearby.
Plan now is to extend that to 18 in comps a couple times a month so wife still gets a break, grandparents get their fix, kids are quiet/sleeping for 1.5 of those hours so not too full on for my folks, and I get to play 18. Fingers crossed!

You got any family support you can call on? Even do a kid minding swap with some of the soccer parents?

highballin
20th March 2014, 03:25 PM
I teed off this morn in the dark on the first if ain't in the fairway I don't look for it. Just drop one where I reckon it should be :roll: and carry on. By the third hole I can see where I'm going and count first 3 holes as warm up. Only practice rounds any way. Real McCoy is Sat for me. 8)

3Puttpete
20th March 2014, 03:27 PM

I've spent years building the dad/daughter relationship based around general annoyance and not letting her watch what she wants on tv.

Any time in tell her I'm going to play golf she's happy.

Dotty
20th March 2014, 04:50 PM
It wasn't light until 6.50am in Sydney yesterday, so you'd be looking at 9.30am breakfast at home.

This is where non-DSL states have the advantage, provided someone is there early enough to open the course.

Do what my mates and I do, by blocking out Wednesday mornings from work, to play golf in comp. at 7am, finish at 11am, lunch at the club and be in the office by 1pm.