PDA

View Full Version : Golfers who walk, carry and play less than 14 clubs

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 11:34 AM
I'd like to hear from anyone who prefers walks the course and prefers to carry their stand bag or sunday bag? I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who carries less than 14 clubs?

I stumbled across this site ahttp://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/ and it has me intrigued as to whether there is such a movement here in Oz.

If I was a better golfer I would show up to comp with 10 clubs in a Sunday bag and look like a hobo..... but being crap I'm not sure I could pull it off. Sort of like when white footy boots first came out in that you had to be good to wear white.

Anyway if there is anyone out there that does this sort of thing pretty regularly let me know why you do it, how it affects your scores and what kind of set up you play?

Cheers.

Captain Nemo
20th March 2014, 11:44 AM
I reckon your mad.
I get tired pushing my buggy around for 18 on a flat course!

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 11:51 AM
Well I carry 14 now in a pretty heavy stand bag around Lynwood... probably explains my scores on the back 9.

So I guess less clubs in a Sunday bag is going from mad to less mad.

Ashes
20th March 2014, 11:59 AM
Have a read of Jack's 10 Clubs thread.

AndyP
20th March 2014, 12:04 PM
I carry 13/14 clubs without any issues. Many people do.

3Puttpete
20th March 2014, 12:06 PM
I carry 10 clubs and I'm convinced I feel more tired pushing than carrying.

Captain Nemo
20th March 2014, 12:06 PM
Well I carry 14 now in a pretty heavy stand bag around Lynwood... probably explains my scores on the back 9.

So I guess less clubs in a Sunday bag is going from mad to less mad.

You've just answered your own question, well done!

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 12:17 PM
You've just answered your own question, well done!

Thanks.

Can you now explain my scores on the front 9 coz I have NFI?

Looney
20th March 2014, 12:29 PM
I push my bag around my course which Is a flat course even though we get free carts I find the walk more enjoyable

Yossarian
20th March 2014, 12:33 PM
Hi. I do it all the time.

3Puttpete
20th March 2014, 12:33 PM
Oh, I also subscribe to the idea that you should be a better golfer to carry 14 clubs, not 10

Iain
20th March 2014, 12:50 PM
I carry 13/14 clubs without any issues. Many people do.

This.

hippo10
20th March 2014, 01:12 PM
I almost always carry and just went down to 11 clubs. Am loving it. I've been shooting some good (for me) scores lately so having fewer clubs certainly hasn't hurt.
My current setup:
Driver
3w
3i
5-9i
PW
SW
Putter

Ferrins
20th March 2014, 01:14 PM
I just turn up with an empty Sunday bag and grab clubs out of other peoples bags.

goughy
20th March 2014, 01:38 PM
Is funnier cause we know he's not joking!

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 02:39 PM
Oh, I also subscribe to the idea that you should be a better golfer to carry 14 clubs, not 10

Well when you hit Driver and 3 wood a similair distance there is a double up there. Also when there is not much difference in 4i and 5i that's another club you can drop and finally how many of us really need a 60 wedge so there is 3 clubs right there.

adamsgolfer
20th March 2014, 02:40 PM
I almost always carry and just went down to 11 clubs. Am loving it. I've been shooting some good (for me) scores lately so having fewer clubs certainly hasn't hurt.
My current setup:
Driver
3w
3i
5-9i
PW
SW
Putter

Pretty good setup. I wish I could crush a 3i.

hippo10
20th March 2014, 03:15 PM
Pretty good setup. I wish I could crush a 3i. I use it mostly off the tee on tight driving holes and as a recovery club when I need to hit it low.I reduced my number of wedges because I figure that with the amount (very little) of practice that I do its better to be confident with one club rather then confused as to which I should hit.

dan
20th March 2014, 04:08 PM
I joined that club long ago. Unless you're a pro, you really don't need 14 clubs.

Dotty
20th March 2014, 04:39 PM
This needs a poll ...

a) Play with a complete set sitting on a trolley and play off 10.
b) Play with a gapped set across your shoulders and play off 20.

I'd be wary of drinking Jack and Scottt's 10 club Kool Aid.

LarryLong
20th March 2014, 04:42 PM
I'm option b if the poll gets up.

Although I do carry the full 14.

3Puttpete
20th March 2014, 05:16 PM
This needs a poll ...

a) Play with a complete set sitting on a trolley and play off 10.
b) Play with a gapped set across your shoulders and play off 20.

I'd be wary of drinking Jack and Scottt's 10 club Kool Aid.

c) Play with a complete set sitting on a trolley and play off 20.
d) Play with a gapped set across your shoulders and play off 10

No kool aid for me, I didn't set out to have a 10 club set. I've taken out clubs that do more bad than good rather than carry 14 because I can.

eg. I've never hit a 3 wood well and can't reach par 5s in 2 anyway so I don't carry one.

Jackson
20th March 2014, 06:58 PM
I can't hit 3 wood and never take it out of the bag in comp rounds, but hell I spent good money on the damn thing so its coming along for the ride.

3Puttpete
20th March 2014, 07:00 PM
I can't hit 3 wood and never take it out of the bag in comp rounds, but hell I spent good money on the damn thing so its coming along for the ride.

That's the spirit :)

Dotty
20th March 2014, 07:14 PM
I too can't hit a 3w, so I carry a 4w.

It comes in handy, when I need to hit 10m further than a safe 5w. (It saves me clipping myself around the ears, if I were to justify missing a green with 'I only carry 10 clubs'.)

Ditto for carrying a PW/50/54/58 wedge set-up.

hippo10
20th March 2014, 10:36 PM
Option d for me

AndyP
1st March 2020, 11:26 AM
I couldn't find a recent "less than 14" clubs specific thread, but google helped me thread mine this one. Some of the <14 chat was in the 5 club challenge (https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/56146-5-club-challenge), and Golf club prioritisation (https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/56156-What-parts-of-your-golf-club-set-do-you-prioritise) threads.

I played with nine clubs today, because of a few reasons. It was a social round, so why not; I'd already broken my five iron shaft on the Friday of the Vic Champs; and, I wanted a lighter bag to carry to give the shoulder a fitness test.

It was fine. The main problem I had was that I accidentally put in an old Maxfli Ezydrive 22* hybrid, instead of the Nickent Genex 17* hybrid. This burnt me on the first four holes, where I would have used it.

The intended bag was:
Driver 10*
Hybrid 17*
Irons 4, 6, 8, P
Wedges 50*, 54*
Putter

The one birdie that I scored was from a great approach with a club that would have been one more than what I would have usually used. I think we are playing another social nine holes next Sunday, so we'll see how things go with the correct hybrid in the bag.

3Puttpete
1st March 2020, 01:09 PM
We had a 9 hole 3 club comp on Friday and I had 17 points. Today with a full bag (10 clubs) I had 13 around the front from the same tees.

It’s a funny game.

BUSHY
1st March 2020, 06:02 PM
We had a 9 hole 3 club comp on Friday and I had 17 points. Today with a full bag (10 clubs) I had 13 around the front from the same tees.

It’s a funny game.

Kind of highlights what we’ve been saying [emoji4]

benno_r
1st March 2020, 06:35 PM

It’s a funny game.Never had more than 17 with 14 clubs?

Ferrins
1st March 2020, 08:38 PM
9 holes today walking with no clubs of my own. Just borrowed clubs and balls off the four guys playing in the comp.

BUSHY
1st March 2020, 08:39 PM
9 holes today walking with no clubs of my own. Just borrowed clubs and balls off the four guys playing in the comp.

DQ but so much [emoji1787]

3Puttpete
2nd March 2020, 03:57 PM
Never had more than 17 with 14 clubs? Never had 14 clubs

thecollective
2nd March 2020, 04:55 PM
My 10 club bag as follows:

Driver
16 degree hybrid
4 Iron
6-PW
Putter

If its a country course with few bunkers will probably swap the 56 for the gap wedge

My 16 hybrid with a full swing can reach up to 200 maximum (driver like swing!) , but I can also play a knockdown cut around 160. Its also perfect in sketchy rough as often I only need a 3/4 swing to reach the green

If you want the 3wood off the deck shot learn to use your driver, might launch a little lower but can get similar distance if you hit it correctly

Kelsey86
2nd March 2020, 06:03 PM
I always walk unless the social club has pre booked carts. I like the exercise and the little longer between shots. I don't carry the bag though, just drag a buggy behind me. I don't have the full 14 clubs because I lost the 7 iron years ago and never replaced it. Driver, 3 and 5 wood, 3-9 iron minus the 7, PW, SW and of course the putter.

Hatchman
3rd March 2020, 11:25 AM
Last game 2 weekend ago at Blackwood I used the same half set plus my normal Driver in the carry bag I use for Xmas Cup at Keynton Valley.
Driver
Persimmon 4 wood
1,3,5,7,9 Irons
48 and 54 Wedges
Putter
Turned out the even number Iron would have been better than the odds.

thecollective
3rd March 2020, 02:02 PM
Hatchy:

I concur, evens worked better for me as well, 2,4,6,8,w when I used an alternate iron setup

But now I just accept the fact for for any shot >150m I am happy to be less dialled into a number and more about getting it as close to the green as possible

BUSHY
5th March 2020, 09:21 PM
Turned out the even number Iron would have been better than the odds.

Hatchy:

I concur, evens worked better for me as well, 2,4,6,8,w when I used an alternate iron setup

I like evens mainly because when I get down to the PW the gap to my sand wedge is precisely what the gap is between my irons. 6-8*.

hippo10
5th March 2020, 10:10 PM
I've also settled on evens. D, Hy, 4, 6, 8, PW, 52 seems to work perfectly for me.

BUSHY
5th March 2020, 10:15 PM
I've also settled on evens. D, Hy, 4, 6, 8, PW, 52 seems to work perfectly for me.

You still in France?? They let you be so provocative?

FuzzyJuzzy
6th March 2020, 08:33 AM
Golf is a walking game. I abhor cart golf and never use carts unless it's mandated. And I generally avoid courses where carts are mandated.
I carry a lot, using my 2018 14-way Sun Mountain H2NO, although I had some unrelated stiffness in my back recently that has forced me to use my Clicgear 3.5+. I love the freedom that carrying gives you - you have your hands free and you just feel like you can go anywhere.
I've not yet had much experience with half sets. Will give it a crack next time I go for a practice round. Did you guys listen to that recent episode of The Golfer's Journal podcast where Tom Coyne interview Geoff Cunningham from LinkSoul? Among other things, they talk about the colour-coded four-club set of irons LinkSoul has designed with Muira. Man, I could listen to Geoff Cunningham and John Ashworth talk about golf all day long. I totally lean into their philosophy on golf and life. Would love to visit The Goat one day too.

thecollective
6th March 2020, 11:42 AM
Golf is a walking game. I abhor cart golf and never use carts unless it's mandated. And I generally avoid courses where carts are mandated.
I carry a lot, using my 2018 14-way Sun Mountain H2NO, although I had some unrelated stiffness in my back recently that has forced me to use my Clicgear 3.5+. I love the freedom that carrying gives you - you have your hands free and you just feel like you can go anywhere.
I've not yet had much experience with half sets. Will give it a crack next time I go for a practice round. Did you guys listen to that recent episode of The Golfer's Journal podcast where Tom Coyne interview Geoff Cunningham from LinkSoul? Among other things, they talk about the colour-coded four-club set of irons LinkSoul has designed with Muira. Man, I could listen to Geoff Cunningham and John Ashworth talk about golf all day long. I totally lean into their philosophy on golf and life. Would love to visit The Goat one day too.

Fuzzy: ditch the 14 way bag and get yourself a PING Moonlite or Callaway Hyperlite complete with a sandwich container for sand. Weight difference might not seem much but your back will feel much lighter particularly on the back nine playing a sub 3 hour round

Personally I have the Hyperlite bag and love having two straps as it helps me balance the weight on my sensitive back

JoeS
6th March 2020, 11:49 AM
Whilst I am not a half set player,I did play a half set while at Cobden.I had all my clubs in the bag,but pulled the iron covers off all the even numbers and only played those.It made me play a couple of shots I normally wouldn't,but in the end found no real disadvantage.Toying with the idea of a half set for tomorrow in the Beacon hills monthly medal

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AndyP
6th March 2020, 12:04 PM
Do it, Joe, and report back.

3Puttpete
6th March 2020, 12:39 PM
Whilst I am not a half set player,I did play a half set while at Cobden.I had all my clubs in the bag,but pulled the iron covers off all the even numbers and only played those.It made me play a couple of shots I normally wouldn't,but in the end found no real disadvantage.Toying with the idea of a half set for tomorrow in the Beacon hills monthly medalSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk You’ve won everything with a full bag, it’s time to challenge yourself

Ron Burgundy
6th March 2020, 01:17 PM
He won everything because he had a full bag. Why mess with a winning formula.

BUSHY
6th March 2020, 05:08 PM
Walked today with 9 sticks in the bag. As enjoyable as ever.

Will walk again tomorrow with the same. [emoji3059]

JoeS
6th March 2020, 07:43 PM
Ok.Bag is a Mizuno aerolite DLX.
In the bag
Driver :TM m3 9.5degree
Hybrid : titleist 915hd 20.5degree
Irons: 5,7,9
Wedges 52,56,60
Putter : ping answer 2 milled face
Ball : Callaway ERC soft
Will be carrying.Lets see how this goes

hippo10
6th March 2020, 07:46 PM
You still in France?? They let you be so provocative?
Yep, the country is revolutionary and proud of it!

Diamonds
6th March 2020, 09:13 PM
I have played with 9-10 clubs almost all comps since our 5 club challenge months ago. Have scored no worse. Had a 38 and 39 stab pts with part set. Last week was the first round where I felt I always landed on the yardage for a missing wedge or iron and messed up the 3/4 swing most times. Like a few above, walking direct lines, plonking your sticks on the tee box, lighter bag and free hands are all pluses to the day. My biggest beef is frequently leaving the range finder in the full club bag when I take the carry bag and vica versa. That stuffs my day on a big scale.

JoeS
7th March 2020, 03:06 PM
Ok.Bag is a Mizuno aerolite DLX.
In the bag
Driver :TM m3 9.5degree
Hybrid : titleist 915hd 20.5degree
Irons: 5,7,9
Wedges 52,56,60
Putter : ping answer 2 milled face
Ball : Callaway ERC soft
Will be carrying.Lets see how this goes

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkSo I played my half set today.To be honest,apart from a few clubbing issues,not.much changed.I had to work a few different shots,generally played a longer club when I was in between clubs,just gripped down and played a little fade which worked quite well.The only thing I would change is the hybrid out for a 3 iron.Having said that,closing the face on a 5 iron and off the back foot kept it down when needed.

flathook
7th March 2020, 09:02 PM
Craig Parry shot 74 with just a 4 iron around Royal Fremantle before he turned pro.

AndyP
8th March 2020, 11:03 AM
Another 9 club round today, and this time I put the proper hybrid in the bag, and used it twice. Unlike last week, I did find a couple of times that I was wanting a club that wasn't in the bag, but the only negative impact to the score was pulling out a 4I instead of a 6I, when I was at a 7I distance. :oops:

TheNuclearOne
8th March 2020, 11:52 AM
Another 9 club round today, and this time I put the proper hybrid in the bag, and used it twice. Unlike last week, I did find a couple of times that I was wanting a club that wasn't in the bag, but the only negative impact to the score was pulling out a 4I instead of a 6I, when I was at a 7I distance. :oops:

I bet you feathered in a buttery little fade regardless!!!

AndyP
8th March 2020, 12:59 PM
Luckily it was just some skanky thin shot, otherwise the cyclists may have been in a spot of trouble.

backintheswing
8th March 2020, 02:13 PM
I bet you feathered in a buttery little fade regardless!!!

You must have played with him a few times to know that!!

TheNuclearOne
8th March 2020, 03:53 PM
Never actually LOL

TheNuclearOne
8th March 2020, 03:54 PM
Luckily it was just some skanky thin shot, otherwise the cyclists may have been in a spot of trouble.

Another two putt par :D

JoeS
11th March 2020, 04:49 PM
Black Bull this morning,got to admit I am hitting it good,and learning to run on the greens with the longer irons.
Haven't played the even set yet

LeftyHoges
12th March 2020, 04:16 PM
You're all ****ing idiots.

BUSHY
12th March 2020, 06:28 PM
You're all ****ing idiots.

What the hell are you even doing in here???[emoji851]

LeftyHoges
12th March 2020, 06:57 PM
What the he’ll are you even doing in here???[emoji851]The first 3 words, I stopped paying attention after that...

thecollective
12th March 2020, 08:09 PM
The first 3 words, I stopped paying attention after that...

In the words of Edward Vedder 'this is not for you!'

JoeS
12th March 2020, 10:11 PM
You're all ****ing idiots.Learn to putt

BUSHY
12th March 2020, 10:17 PM
The first 3 words, I stopped paying attention after that...

Bloody auto correct is a Christian

LeftyHoges
12th March 2020, 11:43 PM
Learn to putt

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkWhoa! Where did that come from???

#aggressive

JoeS
14th March 2020, 04:58 PM
Whoa! Where did that come from???

#aggressiveThat was my nasty side coming out

JoeS
14th March 2020, 05:01 PM
Even day so played even iron numbers.34 points,so I guess I am a convert.One of my playing partners was questioning why I would make the game harder than it is already.Not sure I am,because I am basically playing the same game,just making swing adjustments.I also think I spend less time thinking about my shot selection,because I am taking some of the options out by not having perfect clubbing

Hatchman
17th March 2020, 01:13 PM
Even day so played even iron numbers.34 points,so I guess I am a convert.One of my playing partners was questioning why I would make the game harder than it is already.Not sure I am,because I am basically playing the same game,just making swing adjustments.I also think I spend less time thinking about my shot selection,because I am taking some of the options out by not having perfect clubbing

Playing different shots to suit the clubs is all about distance control.
Learn and develop some distance control will make you a better golfer.

LeftyHoges
17th March 2020, 02:26 PM
Learn and develop some distance control will make you a better golfer.Learning distance control with the proper club will make you even better again.

Ferrins
17th March 2020, 02:55 PM
Learning distance control with the proper club will make you even better again.

So what club would you use for a 60m throw?

AndyP
17th March 2020, 03:46 PM
So what club would you use for a 60m throw?
He probably mixes it up, but driver was the last one that I saw.

SundayHack
17th March 2020, 03:51 PM
He probably mixes it up, but driver was the last one that I saw. I find driver not conducive for distance wokka’s. Personally I much prefer gap wedge

LeftyHoges
17th March 2020, 09:17 PM
So what club would you use for a 60m throw?If I'm going for 60m exactly? If reckon a 4 iron would be perfect. A little bit of weight and length for leverage, but it's too long to get maximum distance.

And I'd hate to have to muscle up on a 3, or back off on a 5 to try and get it right.

LeftyHoges
17th March 2020, 09:18 PM
I find driver not conducive for distance wokka’s. Personally I much prefer gap wedgeWedges are perfect. My PW is ideal weight and length for maximum distance.

LeftyHoges
17th March 2020, 09:18 PM
He probably mixes it up, but driver was the last one that I saw.I'm just glad I found it relatively easy in the goonge. :-D

JoeS
17th March 2020, 09:22 PM
Learn and develop some distance control will make you a better golfer.I have been learning to play my irons across a broader distance range.My 8 iron for instance,I can hit it chippy in the 120m range,or step on it out to mid 140's.A normal 8 iron would be mid 130's.
Today I played Lang Lang,I was playing more chippy shots because of the bunkers.But I could also play low punchy runners when the green front wasn't guarded

Yossarian
18th March 2020, 10:22 AM
In the words of Edward Vedder 'this is not for you!' A dissident is here.

thecollective
19th March 2020, 10:53 PM
I do wonder how much difference does it make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeS
20th March 2020, 11:15 AM
I do wonder how much difference does it make?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHeaps,you have to think of different shots when you don't have the right club

Ron Burgundy
20th March 2020, 11:18 AM
Heaps,you have to think of different shots when you don't have the right clubSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk Or just carry 14 and always have the right club....

3Puttpete
20th March 2020, 11:19 AM
I do wonder how much difference does it make?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk To scoring? Nobody will ever know

AndyP
20th March 2020, 11:49 AM
To scoring? Nobody will ever know
Take 14 clubs, but nominate those that are in the less than 14 club bag. If there is a shot that needs a club that isn't in the<14 club bag, play it with both clubs and see which wins. Something to try during these COVID days.

thecollective
20th March 2020, 12:41 PM
To scoring? Nobody will ever know

I guess it's evolution baby

3Puttpete
20th March 2020, 01:18 PM
Edit:

Hit the same shot with the same club 3 times and see if you get exactly the same result.

Hitting the same shit with 2 different clubs won’t show much.

JoeS
20th March 2020, 01:29 PM
Take 14 clubs, but nominate those that are in the less than 14 club bag. If there is a shot that needs a club that isn't in the<14 club bag, play it with both clubs and see which wins. Something to try during these COVID days.That's not the point.This is about trying something different,taking on a challenge.Not just walk up to 130m and grab a 9 iron.Hit a chippy 8,maybe the play is a 6 iron at 70% and bounce on to a front pin.How many times do you grab the RIGHT club only to come up half a club or full club short.

LeftyHoges
20th March 2020, 01:51 PM
That's not the point.This is about trying something different,taking on a challenge.Not just walk up to 130m and grab a 9 iron.Hit a chippy 8,maybe the play is a 6 iron at 70% and bounce on to a front pin.How many times do you grab the RIGHT club only to come up half a club or full club short.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkYou're deliberately making the game harder on yourself though, is THE main point. If you want to try and hit the odds or evens that's your own stupid problem, but why limit yourself intentionally?

What if you need to chip out of the trees but ONLY a 7 iron gets the required loft to get through the gap. You can still claim your moral victory (and that's barely all it is) but you've still got the exact perfect club in the bag to hit that required shot at that precise time.

And I love the fact people are claiming the "taking on a challenge" point of view. Because you've all clearly dominated the game already. [emoji1]

benno_r
20th March 2020, 02:11 PM
You're deliberately making the game harder on yourself though, is THE main point. If you want to try and hit the odds or evens that's your own stupid problem, but why limit yourself intentionally?

What if you need to chip out of the trees but ONLY a 7 iron gets the required loft to get through the gap. You can still claim your moral victory (and that's barely all it is) but you've still got the exact perfect club in the bag to hit that required shot at that precise time.

And I love the fact people are claiming the "taking on a challenge" point of view. Because you've all clearly dominated the game already. [emoji1]It's an easy excuse for underperformance....

Ron Burgundy
20th March 2020, 02:26 PM
You're deliberately making the game harder on yourself though, is THE main point. If you want to try and hit the odds or evens that's your own stupid problem, but why limit yourself intentionally?What if you need to chip out of the trees but ONLY a 7 iron gets the required loft to get through the gap. You can still claim your moral victory (and that's barely all it is) but you've still got the exact perfect club in the bag to hit that required shot at that precise time. And I love the fact people are claiming the "taking on a challenge" point of view. Because you've all clearly dominated the game already. [emoji1] To be fair Joe has dominated the game already. Show some respect to your champion.

benno_r
20th March 2020, 02:28 PM
To be fair Joe has dominated the game already. Show some respect to your champion.Dominating the game, or dominating us? I feel the bars are set at very different levels there.

markTHEblake
20th March 2020, 02:32 PM
I dont need to remove clubs to learn how to hit an 8 iron a 9 iron distance.
The real talent (which very few people have), is to hit a 6 iron to a 9 iron distance.

I remember when I was a kid one of my old mentors hits a 7 iron from about 70 metres, lands on the classic QLD blue couch green and holds it My old man could do that too. Got me stuffed how they did it (without flipping) :)

Webster
20th March 2020, 02:35 PM
You're deliberately making the game harder on yourself though, is THE main point. If you want to try and hit the odds or evens that's your own stupid problem, but why limit yourself intentionally?

And I love the fact people are claiming the "taking on a challenge" point of view. Because you've all clearly dominated the game already. [emoji1]

You'll never understand Nick.

goughy
20th March 2020, 02:46 PM
I dont need to remove clubs to learn how to hit an 8 iron a 9 iron distance.The real talent (which very few people have), is to hit a 6 iron to a 9 iron distance.I remember when I was a kid one of my old mentors hits a 7 iron from about 70 metres, lands on the classic QLD blue couch green and holds it My old man could do that too. Got me stuffed how they did it (without flipping) :) Do you know the 16th (formerly the 7th) at middle ridge? Short dogleg par 4 with the raised green. My old man would hit a 5 wood for his second, less than 100mtr with his huge slice and hold that green, somehow.

Ron Burgundy
20th March 2020, 02:55 PM
Dominating the game, or dominating us? I feel the bars are set at very different levels there. Fair point. You can only beat what’s in front of you though. Luckily for Joe all that were in front of him were spuds. And mostly hungover spuds at that.

markTHEblake
20th March 2020, 02:56 PM
Thats not the kind of shot i was describing :-)

LeftyHoges
20th March 2020, 03:03 PM
To be fair Joe has dominated the game already. Show some respect to your champion.He didn't do it with <14 though.

Ron Burgundy
20th March 2020, 03:15 PM
That’s the point. Beating us with 14 clubs was too easy and he needs a challenge.

LeftyHoges
20th March 2020, 03:21 PM
You'll never understand Nick.You're right, I won't.

And no amount of bullshit will ever convince me otherwise.

JoeS
20th March 2020, 05:13 PM
You're right, I won't.

And no amount of bullshit will ever convince me otherwise.My last 2 rounds have been 34 points each,lost points with the putter,not the irons

NewyMitch
20th March 2020, 09:36 PM
For myself it's a way of teaching myself some touch. If I have to hit partial shots because I don't have that club in the bag I have to learn some distance control other than full shots. This means that in a normal round I have a greater repertoire of shots than I otherwise would.

This has been most handy be on windy days when taking an extra club or two and hitting a partial shot might reach the green instead of ballooning and coming up 30 metres short.

3Puttpete
20th March 2020, 10:15 PM
Fair point. You can only beat what’s in front of you though. Luckily for Joe all that were in front of him were spuds. And mostly hungover spuds at that.

I wasn’t hungover

3Puttpete
20th March 2020, 10:19 PM

A bladed gap wedge or skied 5 wood will achieve a perfect 7 iron loft. Sometimes you don’t even have to try.

I’m not taking on any challenge, I just like carrying fewer clubs. I also like how it messes with others’ heads.

LeftyHoges
20th March 2020, 10:27 PM
I wasn’t hungover

Because you have to stop being drunk to become hungover?

That was my status.

A bladed gap wedge or skied 5 wood will achieve a perfect 7 iron loft. Sometimes you don’t even have to try.

I’m not taking on any challenge, I just like carrying fewer clubs. I also like how it messes with others’ heads.

Doesn't mess with people's heads, they just call you a dumb **** with smart tendencies and move on.

3Puttpete
21st March 2020, 02:21 PM
Because you have to stop being drunk to become hungover?That was my status.

Good times

Doesn't mess with people's heads, they just call you a dumb **** with smart tendencies and move on.

It clearly messes with you. I’ve never seen anyone get so angry as when you...Oh. Carry on

JoeS
21st March 2020, 03:54 PM
I played an even set on an odd day,stuffed up my mojo.
Needed a 5 iron,didn't have it,needed a 5,didn't have it.
33 points,short game was shit

LeftyHoges
21st March 2020, 03:57 PM
It clearly messes with you. I’ve never seen anyone get so angry as when you...Oh. Carry on

I'm really only doing it to entertain you gents these days. ;-)

LeftyHoges
21st March 2020, 04:00 PM
I played an even set on an odd day,stuffed up my mojo.
Needed a 5 iron,didn't have it,needed a 5,didn't have it.
33 points,short game was shit

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkThis post epitomises the stupidity of this practice.

Just stop it, ya ****ing idiots.

JoeS
21st March 2020, 04:41 PM
This post epitomises the stupidity of this practice.

Just stop it, ya ****ing idiots.Can't believe I didn't have my odd number set[emoji17]

AndyP
22nd March 2020, 11:30 AM
It definitely affected my game today, with a couple of shots where I needed another club. The results were not the greatest.

JoeS
22nd March 2020, 11:32 AM
It definitely affected my game today, with a couple of shots where I needed another club. The results were not the greatest.What is your plan if you don't have the right club?

AndyP
22nd March 2020, 12:02 PM
Put the club in the bag for the next round.

Daves
22nd March 2020, 12:50 PM
Put the club in the bag for the next round.

And eventually you end up with 14 clubs again? Or more during a non comp round. I understand why less than 14 can appeal. But I can play the shots shot being talked about without limiting what I have in the bag. In fact it is part of my game to play different shots with different clubs, rather so called full shots. So I am not sure why that is a reason unless you have a weak personality and can't get past temptations?

LeftyHoges
22nd March 2020, 06:14 PM
Put the club in the bag for the next round.Boom!
And eventually you end up with 14 clubs again? Or more during a non comp round. I understand why less than 14 can appeal. But I can play the shots shot being talked about without limiting what I have in the bag. In fact it is part of my game to play different shots with different clubs, rather so called full shots. So I am not sure why that is a reason unless you have a weak personality and can't get past temptations?Double Boom!

Well said gents.

Hatchman
30th March 2020, 01:08 PM
#no14crew

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200330/22afac9e19b4074609a0ffe81bb26826.jpg

Ferrins
5th April 2020, 02:33 PM
Ok
D,
3w
3h
5-p
sw
P
11 crubs

Jono
8th December 2020, 06:21 PM
Playing my first comp round of 2020 tomorrow ...

I have in my bag:

Driver - I'll never be taking the driver out of the bag. What's the point of playing golf if I did?
4 wood - This may get taken out if I don't need it much around my home course.
4, 6, 8 irons
PW
54 deg wedge
putter - another club that will never leave the bag

8 clubs. I'll be trying to make it a 7 club bag soon. A true half set.

3Puttpete
8th December 2020, 06:37 PM

I have in my bag:

Driver - I'll never be taking the driver out of the bag. What's the point of playing golf if I did?
4, 6, 8 irons
PW
54 deg wedge

8 clubs. I'll be trying to make it a 7 club bag soon. A true half set.

[emoji7]

LeftyHoges
8th December 2020, 08:17 PM

I have in my bag:

4, 6, 8 irons
PW
54 deg wedge

8 clubs. I'll be trying to make it a 7 club bag soon. A true half set.Enjoy having more shots than you should.

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2020, 08:32 PM
I’ll carry 11 clubs when I carry. Seems to be the perfect weight and fits the Sunday bag nicely.

3Puttpete
8th December 2020, 08:42 PM
enjoy having more fun than you should be allowed.

ftfy

slim
9th December 2020, 05:56 PM
If you only wish to carry a small number of clubs, experiment with the reverse overlap grip.
(assuming you usually use the normal overlap)
I find that it gives me an extra 10-15 yards..although there is a tendency to drag the ball a bit left.
You can compensate for that...worthwhile experimenting with as sometimes we find ourselves
between clubs....

Flavzz
22nd December 2020, 10:29 PM
Has anyone who plays on a weekly basis converted to 10 or fewer clubs and stayed with it?

Johnny Canuck
22nd December 2020, 11:29 PM
Has anyone who plays on a weekly basis converted to 10 or fewer clubs and stayed with it?

I am very happy to use 11 without any hesitation. No 3w, 5i and 50* wedge and I find it doesn't make much difference.

3Puttpete
23rd December 2020, 07:58 AM

The most I’ve ever carried is 11 or 12. I played 7 for about 18 months and now chop and change between, 7, 8 and 10.

Webster
23rd December 2020, 09:04 AM
Haven't played 14 clubs for more than 15 years. 11 or 12 when I was playing in Melbourne, then down to 10 from about 2013 at Port Fairy, these days usually 8 or 9. Eliminating the 3 wood, 3 iron and lob wedge saves my many, many shots.

Flavzz
23rd December 2020, 09:55 AM
Great to hear this has some staying power.

JoeS
23rd December 2020, 03:35 PM
I was playing even numbers on even days,and odds on odd days.Since coming back after lockdown,been using a full set.No difference in scoring,and if I'm not hitting something well,I don't use it.Will be going back to a reduced bag soon.Carrying a bag

Diamonds
23rd December 2020, 08:24 PM
I am very happy to use 11 without any hesitation. No 3w, 5i and 50* wedge and I find it doesn't make much difference.Pretty much exactly what I do since picking up a mini carry bag from Golf Mart. Ditch 5iand 50* and take one only of 2i, 2h, 5w or 3w as the mood dictates. I had gone less than 11 by ditching a short iron but Murphys Law was killing me

Flavzz
24th December 2020, 10:55 PM
I played 6 holes tonight with a 9 club bag so a pretty small sample size but I quite enjoyed the simplicity of it. Clubs were Driver, 3 wood, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 50, 54 and putter. My main concern with the theory is approach shots in between yardages. I had a few of these but it didn't seem to matter much. I mostly choked down on a higher club rather than trying to hammer the next club down. This worked well.

Ended up 3 over through 6 which included a birdie on 2 and a 4 putt on 3 (an absolutely mad pin placement on this hole perched up on top of a ridge). I don't think the reduced clubs affected my score at all. I arguably could drop the driver but I'm still on a quest to improve my total driving so I want to keep it in the bag.

I also loved carrying the Ping Moonlite bag. With 9 clubs and a water bottle I barely noticed the weight of it on my back at all. Just felt like walking the course. Will continue to test it and probably play a comp round on boxing day with the same setup.

Ferrins
25th December 2020, 06:54 AM
Guy at Nudgee always finishes with more clubs than when he started.

Hatchman
30th December 2020, 02:49 PM
Guy at Nudgee always finishes with more clubs than when he started.

Buying clubs from playing partners or other groups during the round?
or, pocketing the wedge someone leaves around the green?
or, stealing clubs from other players bags?

PerryGroves
30th May 2021, 04:58 PM
(https://www.spin.ph/golf/juvic-pagunsan-tops-mizuno-open-bags-p5-2-million-a1931-20210530?ref=home_feed_1)https://www.spin.ph/golf/juvic-pagunsan-tops-mizuno-open-bags-p5-2-million-a1931-20210530?ref=home_feed_1

@MattGriffinGolf
(https://twitter.com/MattGriffinGolf)
The winner on the Japan Tour this week Juvic Pagunsan wanted to keep this simple and only played with 11 clubs this week. 17 under for 3 rounds and a 3 shot win is some golf. Shows we over complicate things