PDA

View Full Version : First (Un?)official Sydney OzGolf Day

Fishman Dan
9th July 2004, 03:55 PM
Fox Hills GC
Date: Sunday 11/7/04
Event: Single Stableford (mano e mano)

Entrants: Dan, Jono, Burger, Ash (Dan's mate - playing for handicap)

Time to get this show on the road. Still road-testing my new club, with the added incentive of selling it to these Sydney-ites.

Start time is 11:45. Apparently it's also Associates Stroke Medal round... could be in for a long one lads. Give me a call if you have problems getting there.

nick
9th July 2004, 04:06 PM
I would go in but I work on Sundays :x

Nick

Jarro
9th July 2004, 04:10 PM
I would go in but I work on Sundays :x

Nick

What sort of lame-arsed excuse is that :x

jesus Nick, have a sickie ......

.. this is HISTORY we're talking about here :shock: :lol:

Don't forget the Digi camera Dan :wink:

good work lads, now get on with it :!:

nick
9th July 2004, 04:23 PM
Hmm, I'd probably get fired if I didnt go to work cayse my boss is a f#@Kw!t.

Nick

Onewood
9th July 2004, 04:23 PM
Sorry mate .......can't make this one :D

AndyP
9th July 2004, 05:15 PM
If it was tomorrow, I'd be a chance believe it or not, but not Sunday.

However, if you make the drive to Canberra to pick me up and drop me off afterwards (to allow me to sleep in the car), then I'm there. 8)
Come on, it's only 3 hours or so each way. [-o<

markTHEblake
9th July 2004, 05:56 PM

Nick

Its a good choice. you would deserve to be fired if you did that.

Onewood
9th July 2004, 06:30 PM

Nick

Its a good choice. you would deserve to be fired if you did that.

markTHEblake, who made you the DAD :D

Jono
10th July 2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks for organizing this, Fishie. We've got 3 Ozgolfers and 1 friend of an Ozgolfer. That makes it HIGHLY official ... :wink:

Looks like we'll be getting a bit of rain on Saturday. Hopefully it will clear up by Sunday and leave the greens nice and soft at Foxhills. :D

Fishman Dan
10th July 2004, 03:05 PM
Greens are still quick despite the rain. A bit of water lying around the course, but generally in good nick.

amanda
10th July 2004, 03:37 PM
Have fun tomorrow boys! I think the rain will keep me away from golf tomorrow - I might go see Shrek 2 instead.

Fishman Dan
11th July 2004, 08:16 PM
And for the moment you've all been waiting for....

Amidst the 'adverse' weather conditions for the start, congrats go to Burger (Stu) who overcame horrendous conditions, and a dismal start to claim the honours today.

We tee'd off in the rain, not overly heavy but it was constant, and stayed with us for about 7 holes before abating. If form was anything to go by on our 1st (10th tee) then the punters would be scratching their head. Stu knifed his first shot of the day due-right, into a willow tree, through the carpark and over the fence onto the Great Western Hwy - a shot seen to be believed. He followed it up with a gorgeous 8-iron to 10 feet and proceded to 2-putt for 5.

We all had our moments - mine was our 2nd (big fat 9), and Jono circumnavigated the hole with a 4-putt on one occasion. Jono didn't really control the big SMT Deep Bore 455, which i had the priviledge of bashing at the range when i picked him up - sweet club!

Scores:
Stu - 100 (21): 79
Dan - 100 (17): 83
Jono - 93 (10) 83

The scores didn't really do the day justice, we all had great fun despite the water which didn't really muck things up too much. The greens were all still very quick and could easily catch you out.

Highlights?
My only 3-putt was on the last, which as it turns out was for the ton. ](*,)
Jono dons the surgical glove for a clinical wet-weather putting display.
Stu's V-Steel 3W. Again! Who needs a driver??
Meeting the current Australian long-drive champion, with a display at 1/2 time. The 4th member of our group has sponsored his trip to the states. He busted one down the first in a brief display - which he held back on because he's been known to break shafts. :shock:
All 3 of us hitting the green for 1 on the par 3 7th :shock:

I'm sure the others can add to this... thanks for the company guys.

jaster
11th July 2004, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a great time, well done guys!! 8)

Since when did 100-21 = 71? :? :wink:

Fishman Dan
11th July 2004, 08:44 PM
Sounds like a great time, well done guys!! 8)

Since when did 100-21 = 71? :? :wink:

Good point - i told you he was a burglar!

Um, fixed :oops:

AndyP
11th July 2004, 09:46 PM
Good to hear you had a fun day. After all, that's the most important thing isn't it? 8) :?

Fishman Dan
11th July 2004, 10:49 PM
Good to hear you had a fun day. After all, that's the most important thing isn't it? 8) :?

There's that - there's also the dubious honour of bragging rights.. my time in the sun will have to wait for that...

burger
12th July 2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks Dan for the invite and arranging the inaugural Sydney OzGolf day!
As stated, I think we all enjoyed our day!

Personal highlights -
. Playing in rain for the first time, I dont get out much :roll: .
. Playing a stroke comp for the first time,
. 10th hole tee shot (our 1st) NOT, how the hell did that ball go straight right ????? Gave self big uppercut and started again!
. Hitting one of my best tee shots on the hole with the narrowest faiway I have EVER seen, I think it was only about 20m wide where I hit to, we measured it at 13 metres where Jono mishit to. Narrow fairway really seemed to narrow my focus . . and struck it sweet and DEAD straight :shock:
. Going out in 55, coming back in 45.
. Mark Byslma (long drive champ) demo on 1st. The 4th of our group (peter) SMOKED his best drive and Mark B gave petes Wilson Deep Red a gentle pat and smacked it 25 m past him dead easy . . . .
We get down there and peter says, 'He didnt get me by much' #-o
. Did I mention wet bunkers?
. Jono's number of 1 putts and the odd inexplicable 3 & 1 x 4 putt :shock:
I think we all did it a bit tough, but enjoyed the outing anyway.
Anytime out playing golf is a good time!
stu

Jono
12th July 2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks Dan, for organizing the day and also giving me a lift in the Fishmobile ... :wink: Despite the weather and poor form, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As to the surgical gloves, I read it in a magazine somewhere that you get excellent traction with them in wet weather. My grips get really slippery in the wet, but the gloves seemed to work great. My putting was pretty good until the rain cleared up and I took the gloves off! :?

The narrow fairway burger talked about ... that's gotta be the narrowest fairway in Australia. I don't think it was even 20m wide, and yes, at one point it was 13m wide. Ri-bloody-diculous! Stu bisected it with precision. I hooked into the trees and Dan went over them to the right.

BTW ... the SMT 455 has Dan's name written all over it. :wink: Crushed the first shot he hit at the range with it with a slight draw.

Fishman Dan
12th July 2004, 01:23 PM
BTW ... the SMT 455 has Dan's name written all over it. :wink: Crushed the first shot he hit at the range with it with a slight draw.

Now you're telling pork pies ;)

I forgot to mention one of the highlights being Jono's uneasy fidgeting in the passenger seat as the Fishmobile cruised at 100 kph down the Great Western Motorway - all windows fogged up, pouring rain. I was driving with my head out of the window for visibility :lol: 8)

burger
12th July 2004, 01:31 PM
Comments of the day on afore mentioned narrow fairway . . .

Jono "its just like that Topflite add, where the fairway gets wider when you tee up the topflite . . ."
Dan "the only thing I worry about with tree lined fairways is if I can carry them!"
:wink:
stu

Fishman Dan
12th July 2004, 05:44 PM
Dan "the only thing I worry about with tree lined fairways is if I can carry them!"

If someone could tell me how to make that sideways energy go forwards, then this game could get a little easier..

AndyP
12th July 2004, 09:43 PM
I would have thought that the Fishman would have played better in the wet. :wink:

Fishman Dan
12th July 2004, 11:13 PM
I would have thought that the Fishman would have played better in the wet. :wink:

And enjoys dunking my balls in the dam? :?

Oh come on! You know what i mean... sheeyat.