PDA

View Full Version : What is happening when I'm coming out of the shot

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 01:20 PM
I don't have a better way to explain it, but on full swing, as I come down into and post impact I feel/think that I'm not staying down over the ball and instead my upper body and head is coming out of the shot.

What is happening here?

Why?

Any drills to help?

3Puttpete
13th March 2014, 01:26 PM
Post impact is irrelevant, as long as you're good up until the ball leaves the club face you're ok.

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 01:42 PM
Post impact is irrelevant, as long as you're good up until the ball leaves the club face you're ok.

Hmmm not sure that what I'm doing is post impact, probably starts just before...

I'm seeing a high ball flight if that helps, not ballooning but just high.

Lagerlover
13th March 2014, 01:55 PM
This bloke did alright...

3Puttpete
13th March 2014, 02:09 PM
as I come down into and post impact

not sure that what I'm doing is post impact,

I am confuse

wizard_of_oz
13th March 2014, 02:32 PM
Think he feels like he is lifting up out of the shot to help the ball in the air, and adding loft to the shot instead of hitting down into the ball.

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 02:48 PM
Think he feels like he is lifting up out of the shot to help the ball in the air, and adding loft to the shot instead of hitting down into the ball.

That's pretty much it, although it doesn't feel like a sccopy swing more like I'm looking up to see the flight of the ball before the ball has actually left the club face.

It's hard to explain.

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 02:50 PM
This bloke did alright...

I'm not good at analysing different swings, why do you put up Peter Senior as an example? Does he do the same thing?

Daves
13th March 2014, 03:23 PM
I'm not good at analysing different swings, why do you put up Peter Senior as an example? Does he do the same thing?

Yep, as do many others (have a dip and then rise up through impact), Natalie Gublis, Tiger, Hogan, Byron Nelson just to name a few;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKStYZWDXY

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 03:50 PM
So it's not something that I should be too concerned with?

Actually I just watched the link, I feel like I come up and out of it much more than that and a lot sooner in the downswing.

mrbluu
13th March 2014, 04:24 PM
So it's not something that I should be too concerned with?

Actually I just watched the link, I feel like I come up and out of it much more than that and a lot sooner in the downswing.

Go see a pro or post videos. Its impossible to say what you are doing without seeing it.

I would recommend the first one more though.

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 05:03 PM
Go see a pro or post videos. Its impossible to say what you are doing without seeing it.

I would recommend the first one more though.

I'm due for another lesson but it's also about time I took some more video of my swing.

Here are a couple from late last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI9Wiknj9ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOQV2nawBzA

mrbluu
13th March 2014, 05:07 PM
I'm due for another lesson but it's also about time I took some more video of my swing.

Here are a couple from late last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI9Wiknj9ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOQV2nawBzA

I doesn't look too bad. Check with your pro. If the actions is repeatable, then don't stress too much.

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 05:10 PM
Yeah it's repeatable... sort of.

mrbluu
13th March 2014, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure cos the video is quite dark and Lefty can chime in, but does your belt match your cap??

markTHEblake
13th March 2014, 07:33 PM
What is happening here?Why?Any drills to help?Your body is trying to correct a fault.

Because that's what your brain does.

No. Don't fix a fault with another fault.

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 07:38 PM
So what's the fault?

markTHEblake
13th March 2014, 08:26 PM
How would I know :-). But then again the problem you describe is my single biggest fault, mostly because I am a flipper, although I have gone a fair way in fixing that the last few years.

JADO75
13th March 2014, 08:43 PM
Does your weight go back on your heels as you are about to hit the ball, feel like you're falling way fom the ball?

adamsgolfer
13th March 2014, 10:36 PM
Maybe a little but not that I lose balance

Scifisicko
14th March 2014, 11:39 AM
Hips/bum move towards the ball, if your head and shoulders didnt come up you would fall over. Almost every amatuer does this, ive battled it for years, almost every swing you see on this forum shows it, even the low markers. Almost no pros do it.

One thought that helps me is to make space to swing my hands into from transition down.

Scifisicko
14th March 2014, 11:44 AM
Another good drill is to hit balls with the back of a chair against your bum at address and maintain some contact with it through the shot (even push back into it).

adamsgolfer
18th March 2014, 12:03 PM
Another good drill is to hit balls with the back of a chair against your bum at address and maintain some contact with it through the shot (even push back into it).

I tried this. It's amazing how far off the chair I moved during the downswing. No matter what I tried I could not keep it thire when hitting a ball but had not problems on practice swings. I wonder if this has something to do with want to 'hit' at the ball?

Scifisicko
19th March 2014, 11:19 AM
yeah i know the feeling, its not an easy fix. Keep at it, it does work...3/4 swings help, so does not giving a toss where the ball goes.
This may or may not help but while I am practicing this I have 2 thoughts, at transition make sure i can see left knee (means left shoulder stays down and spine angle is maintained), then push right thigh back to make space for hands. I used a block of foam taped to my thigh....

3oneday
19th March 2014, 12:41 PM
Is your right leg straightening, look at Natalie Gulbis still to see what I mean.

solarbear
19th March 2014, 08:37 PM
I like to think of this a different way. Where is your center of gravity when you swing?

If its behind the ball you will rise up or come out of the shot early.

JADO75
19th March 2014, 09:44 PM
Is your right leg straightening, look at Natalie Gulbis still to see what I mean.

I wouldn't mind bending her legs

Hatchman
19th March 2014, 11:33 PM

I wouldn't mind bending her legs

Behind her ears is implied with the word bend, right?

JADO75
19th March 2014, 11:42 PM
Correct