PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 6th Febuary

Grunt
7th February 2006, 02:37 PM
Hi All
Played @ Wallacia this morning with jimandr. Shot 40 points :-D . Played pretty well driving was not that crash hot but I think my chipping and putting saved me a lot of shots and gained me a few points.

amanda
7th February 2006, 02:43 PM
Grant - that is awesome! You'll be at your goal handicap in no time :)

3oneday
7th February 2006, 03:26 PM
Hi All
Played @ Wallacia this morning with jimandr. Shot 40 points :-D . Played pretty well driving was not that crash hot but I think my chipping and putting saved me a lot of shots and gained me a few points.Grant, Maybe they removed what was holding you back ?? single figures here he comes !!!!

:lol:

Grunt
7th February 2006, 03:36 PM
Grant, Maybe they removed what was holding you back ?? single figures here he comes !!!!

:lol:Was waiting for comments like that:lol: , didn't top and so that problem is not there either.

Bruce
7th February 2006, 04:27 PM
Nice one Grant. Although I didn't think when Dr. Bob talked about "freeing your mind" he meant surgically...

jimandr
7th February 2006, 05:20 PM
As noted above, I played a supporting role to superstar golfer Grunt at Wallacia today.

My 34 points was very encouraging but very frustrating. I have hardly ever hit the ball better without getting any result from it. I hit almost every fairway, never missed a green (and there are some tiny ones) by more than five metres, but could not chip and putt to the required standard. I did get to hit a mickey mouse par 5 in two, only to leave a 15 ft eagle putt three inches short.

Courty
7th February 2006, 06:01 PM
Nice one Grant. Although I didn't think when Dr. Bob talked about "freeing your mind" he meant surgically...

Hehe. That's a good one Bruce. :mrgreen:

Congrats on a fine effort Grant. Plenty more to come, I'm sure...

shavey
8th February 2006, 10:06 PM
Truckloads today... Our Mens Challenge from the plates with wind... Course was playing real hard.

Still no excuses.. rushed onto the tee, straight from the office, and top one into the bushes 20 metres away. Hack it out sideways into a forest, lost ball, replay from last position, playing 4 and I'm only 20 metres off the tee on what I term as an easy hole!

Hack, hack, 8 to start.. Quaddy!!!

Then back that up with back to back birdies.. it was like it for the hole day. I have never had so many high numbers in a long time. 3 triples and a quad to finish 7+ handicap.

And picked up two NTP's, what a rollercoster ride! Get me off!!!

Looking forward to my next round which HAS to be better...

Jarro
9th February 2006, 12:28 AM
sounds like you need a new driver Shavey ;)

Jarro
9th February 2006, 03:28 PM
had a 77 (+7) today on the south course at Nudgee.

tried out Nudgee's SQTour driver, and it didn't work very well .... 2 fairways hit :oops:

still, did enough to score pretty well .. was happy with the ironplay, and the new putter worked really well 8)

Fwys : 2
GIR : 7
U & D : 3/8
Putts : 29

7 pars
7 bogeys
3 birdies
1 triple bogey (on the last #-o )

Courty
9th February 2006, 03:31 PM
1 triple bogey (on the last #-o )

CHOKE! ;)

Don't worry, I've had plenty of them too. :roll:

Eag's
9th February 2006, 03:33 PM
Played a social round with Jarro at Nudgee South today.
Shot 78 :)
8 Greens
9 Fairways
32 Putts

3 Birdies
7 Pars
6 Bogeys
2 doubles

I was very happy how I hit the ball today as it was my first hit in over 5 weeks. Drove the ball well and the irons were solid. Took a leaf out of Trungies book today and took an extra club on most shots to see if I could stay relaxed over the ball, WOW what a difference it made :)

AndyP
9th February 2006, 03:33 PM
U & D : 3/8
Putts : 29
Tough up and down chances? You are usually a bit of a whiz with the wedges. Increase that percentage and you would have had even less putts!!!!

Jarro
9th February 2006, 03:34 PM
Eag's .... you were hitting that driver the best i've seen from you 8)

AndyP ..... i know :roll:

Grunt
9th February 2006, 04:01 PM
Played with Jim @ Shellharbour Links in the wind AGAIN!!! Shot 101 but honestly did not think I played that badly. Really struggled to get off the tee with only 2 Fairways hit. Putted well with only 32 putts.
To give you all a good Idea of how strong the wind was I hit the green in regulation on 17, as we walked up to the hole it was still there, I went to place my buggy near the next tee and looked up to see it blow off the green and down a slope to be about 15-20 m from the pin.

Eag's
9th February 2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks Jarro, It didn't sink in at first when you said you made a triple on 18 until I got in the car and thought "$hit jarro could of shot 74 today"
Stick with your driver mate, never seen you hit anything better than the old 510TP Tour :) the heavier Phantom is the go but ;)

Grunt
10th February 2006, 12:25 PM
Played Mac Grange this morning in the Bridgestone Battle. Very inconsistent round 32 points should have been more.
7 pars
3 Bogies
3 Double Bogies
3 Triples Bogies
2 Quad Bogies

96 off the stick
32 Putts
5 Fairways
2 GIR
2 Penalties

Oh well the game is there I just have to be more consistent with my swing.

cazandpaul
10th February 2006, 12:30 PM
Stroke round on Wednesday - 85 (48-37) for net 71 - CCR 70.

Matt 3 Jab
11th February 2006, 11:12 AM
Played new brighton this morning, my usual good ball striking and bad putting. becoming very frustrating, had 31 points.
Fairways: 0 (i hit alot of good drives and irons off the tee but either out drove the area or was a foot or so off the fairway)
Greens: 8, hit the irons well, sometimes just off the green but happy with the ball striking
Putts: 38, stroked the ball really well just nothing went in, had a double hit on a 2 footer, really getting to me!
3 putts:4
missed within a few feet:3
i dont know what the hell is going on but man its annoying, 38 putts for +12, argh!!!!!

Grunt
11th February 2006, 12:56 PM
Played Mac Grange this morning and played ok for 38 points:) . Putted really well and my slice was nearly non existant, a couple of holes I allowed for it only for the ball not to fade an inch. Oh well:? . Course is going to rate 68 for the day so no loss of handicap:|

38 points
88 Gross
68 Nett
4 Fairways
1 GIR :?
31 putts
4 Pars
11 Bogies
2 Doubles
1 Triple

Fishman Dan
11th February 2006, 01:27 PM
Can you disappointed with 41 points?

Holes 1-3 : 3 up after 3 up'n'downs
4-5 : GIR's. 3 putt. :smt119
3 up after 13.
14 : GIR. 3 putt for solid 2 points. :smt119
16 : Tough par 3. Put it to 4m. Another solid 3 putt for another 2.

.. and par's on the final 2 holes for 41.

We were the 2nd group out. Group 1 had 2 players - 42 and 43 points.

Within 30 minutes a 17 marker came in with 49 points! :shock: In fact about 15 of the first 16 to play today went under their handicap.

So if you can get 41 points and miss the ball run-down, then i think it's fair to be a little dissapointed. If it wasn't for 4 3 putts i could have been really disappointed!

Moe Norman
11th February 2006, 01:40 PM
34 Points this morning at Growling Frog in Melbourne - great little course by the way, I reccomend it!

I had 34 putts for my 80 off the stick, hit 10 fairways and it makes a real difference playing from the short stuff! I just couldn't hole anything unfortunately and even squeezed in a 3 putt.

lost a few shots around the place due to being a first timer on the course as well, hitting where we thought it was safe etc...

Andrew
11th February 2006, 01:41 PM
Dan,

That is amazing scoring from the field. What course were you playing?

Fishman Dan
11th February 2006, 01:47 PM
Gordon.

We've got preferred lies through the green, but for weeks the rough has been knee high. I asked the Pro, apparently they bought a new slasher, but without the right safety stickers applied we couldn't have it. We're a council course :roll:

This week the rough was short and dry, so if you went in the rough and had a shot, you didn't lose much with the preferred lie. A couple of the greens are in terrible condition (i 3 putted both of them ;))

But the scores are quite incredible. Personally i play a lot better in the mornings, but it will be interesting to see what scores come in this afternoon. My 41 should be enough to get me to 15 - albeit for a week.

Grunt
11th February 2006, 01:52 PM
Can you disappointed with 41 points?

Holes 1-3 : 3 up after 3 up'n'downs
4-5 : GIR's. 3 putt. :smt119
3 up after 13.
14 : GIR. 3 putt for solid 2 points. :smt119
16 : Tough par 3. Put it to 4m. Another solid 3 putt for another 2.

.. and par's on the final 2 holes for 41.

We were the 2nd group out. Group 1 had 2 players - 42 and 43 points.

Within 30 minutes a 17 marker came in with 49 points! :shock: In fact about 15 of the first 16 to play today went under their handicap.

So if you can get 41 points and miss the ball run-down, then i think it's fair to be a little dissapointed. If it wasn't for 4 3 putts i could have been really disappointed!
Must have been the weather or something similar scoring at Mac Grange this morning with 10 scores in the mid 40's when I left the club, 38 was not going to get me anything either.:?

Courty
11th February 2006, 03:27 PM
Fairways: 0 (i hit alot of good drives and irons off the tee but either out drove the area or was a foot or so off the fairway)

Matt, this is the reason why I have adopted AndyP's stats method of 'Effective tee shots' rather than fairways hit. If you are a metre off the fairway but still have a good shot at the green, then you aren't really at a disadvantage (unless the rough is really bad). Only counting fairways hit can be really misleading, as was the case with your round. I think for amateurs of our ability, effective tee shots is a more relevant method of measuring our games. Have another think about your round and tell us how many of your tee shots were effective. :)

Matt 3 Jab
11th February 2006, 03:43 PM
effective tee shots: 7, so not that great, but not bad, out of 13 fairways, smashed the driver long, but just didnt produce with the flat stick, i putted really well so it was just miss reads that led me astray, still wanting to practice and get down to my handicap goal.

Courty
11th February 2006, 03:47 PM
effective tee shots: 7, so not that great, but not bad, out of 13 fairways, smashed the driver long, but just didnt produce with the flat stick, i putted really well so it was just miss reads that led me astray, still wanting to practice and get down to my handicap goal.

Point taken about the putting, but better than 50% from the tee sounds much better, doesn't it? ;)

Matt 3 Jab
11th February 2006, 03:53 PM
sure does, and now that im hitting my wedges alot better and the putting is coming along, all be it slowly, im keen to get out there and rip some courses a new................................ course record

AndyP
12th February 2006, 09:13 AM
11/02/06, Nambour GC, Monthly Honours (& possibly Mug of Mugs)

Four word round review: I'm back, baby........choke?

5/12 effective T-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
4/5 up and down successes.
31 putts.
--------------------
12 pars.
2 bogeys.
4 doubles.
Score 37-41-78 nett 65 (Par 34-34-68, CCR 66)

I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. I'm playing well now after 8 months in the wilderness and making a setup/swing change. But after having 8 consecutive pars from 5 to 12, being +4 thru 14, then coming home with 3 doubles in the last 4, you can't help but to think what could have been.

Was it a choke? Not sure. There were definitely a couple of mental errors in there, but I think I had gotten away with a few bad T-shots earlier in the round, and it just caught up with me on the home stretch.

Besides the 3-putt on the 17th, my game around the greens is just going super at the moment, continuing on from it's form at Pacific last week. Chipping close and rolling the ball nicely with the flat stick is what this game is all about, and it's the reason I've had a couple of good scores in a row.

Irons are going OK, could do without the occasional spray, but hit a couple yesterday that just felt sooooo sweet. I'd like to see some birdie conversions happening soon though, put myself in good position for it several times in the last couple of weeks, but just haven't been able to get them to drop. I've got to treat the birdie putts the same as the par and bogey putts, and lose that little bit of tentativeness. Next time.

Overall very happy, and I'm temporarily playing off 12 again.

Next Round: 25/26 Feb, ?????. Maybe I should start a 1st Tee thread....

McMw
12th February 2006, 10:53 AM
Played at The Empire yesterday - first round there in over 2 years...
tee to green was okay...once I got there, that's where it fell apart...
greens were in great condition, but bermuda greens are just crap to putt on if you've never putted on them for a long time... :evil: :confused: :evil: :confused:

Pinglauncher
12th February 2006, 05:23 PM
37 points (19 & 18 ) with 3 wipes and 2 one pointers. Putting was either very good or very bad with nothing in between.

Had a wonderful Father & Son moment where you could have cut the air with a knife for 15 or 20 minutes. I had 2 wipes and so did Jnr.

Moe Norman
12th February 2006, 05:33 PM
84 gross, 78 nett.

42 putts - nothing more to say!

amanda
12th February 2006, 05:38 PM
98/76 in a medal round. Short game and putting let me down - not much practice since I've become Brad's full-time carer in the last week.

Was super happy with the driver - hit at least 4 drivers over 200m - the rest were around 180-190m. Fairway woods were also superb. Shame about the short game - just couldn't visualise my shots properly.

By the 16th, I was ready to give up - exhausted & hot in the muggy Sydney weather :cry:

effective tee shots - 7/12
GIRs - 3
putts - 38 :oops:

BrisVegas
12th February 2006, 07:08 PM
Wynnum Cup off the black tees.

73 gross for 65 nett
8 fairways
9 GIR
25 putts
U&D 4/7

putter and wedge worked well today!

EDIT: oops, it was 9 GIR, not 8. like anyone cares!

BrisVegas
12th February 2006, 07:15 PM
11/02/06, Nambour GC, Monthly Honours (& possibly Mug of Mugs)

Four word round review: I'm back, baby........choke?

Overall very happy, and I'm temporarily playing off 12 again.

Well played AndyP!! You're game is really coming along, especially around the greens. :-D

Stoney
12th February 2006, 08:33 PM
Wynnum Cup off the black tees.

73 gross for 71 nett
4 fairways - shocker
11 GIR
30 putts
U&D 3/7

scramble, scramble, scramble

3 here I come

Moe Norman
12th February 2006, 08:43 PM
73 gross for 65 nett
8 fairways
8 GIR
25 putts
U&D 4/7
If you only hit 8 GIR, wouldn't it be 10 U&D opportunities?

Nice putting !

McMw
12th February 2006, 11:54 PM
CNY tourney this afternoon...
started off great, 1under the course after back to back birds on 5 and 6...
bogeyed 8 with a bad approach shot to fall back to level the card after 9...

then proceeded to throw it away...
sliced OOBs on 10 for double, 3puttbogey on 11, bogey on 12, 3puttbogey on 13, bogey on 14, par 15, bird 16, bogey 17, snowman triple on 18...
had 5 penalty shots in the back nine...

shot 79, lost 2nd place gross on countback...

AndyP
13th February 2006, 09:11 AM
If you only hit 8 GIR, wouldn't it be 10 U&D opportunities?
Depends on your definition. If you hit it OOB off the tee, is there really a up and down opportunity?

BrisVegas
13th February 2006, 09:14 AM
Depends on your definition. If you hit it OOB off the tee, is there really a up and down opportunity?

Yeah, that's how I track it, ie. if I miss a GIR and am "close" to the green with a chance for an U&D. If I cold-top my drive and bunt the next one down to 150 out, I don't count that as an U&D opportunity.

Moe Norman
13th February 2006, 09:17 AM
I get ya.

its only an up&down opportunity if its for par also?

AndyP
13th February 2006, 09:23 AM
its only an up&down opportunity if its for par also?
Not for me. It's a stat I use to track successful chipping/putting, not my ability to make par.

Grunt
13th February 2006, 02:39 PM
Played Mac Grange this morning and played ok for 38 points:) . Putted really well and my slice was nearly non existant, a couple of holes I allowed for it only for the ball not to fade an inch. Oh well:? . Course is going to rate 68 for the day so no loss of handicap:|

38 points
88 Gross
68 Nett
4 Fairways
1 GIR :?
31 putts
4 Pars
11 Bogies
2 Doubles
1 Triple

Just checked my Golflink and the club recorded my score as 36 points, silly me signed my scorecard without having a close look. Even though he had written 38 points in the nett result box on the card he failed to enter a score for the last hole:evil:. The club knowing what had happened just took the card as 36 and did not DSQ me for signing an incorrect card:? . They went to check my partners card as I marked it but he had torn it up so as not to put in the score he had, 16 points.
It cost me a ball in the ball comp, but most of all I felt angry that he had made me look silly telling people I had shot 38, and if they looked at my golflink for the day it says I had 36:evil: making me feel like a liar.
Oh well I have learnt something never play with idiots and always check you scorecard thoroughly for silly mistakes.
In this weeks comp I was due to play with a learner lady member & a junior member but I am that ****ed off about saturday I might give it a miss.

Grunt
13th February 2006, 02:41 PM
Not for me. It's a stat I use to track successful chipping/putting, not my ability to make par.
Me too andy I use it to track how well I am getting close so I can 1 putt to recover shots I have lost elsewhere on the hole.

AndyP
13th February 2006, 02:54 PM
Oh well I have learnt something never play with idiots and always check you scorecard thoroughly for silly mistakes.
It's OK, BV, I'll still play with you again....Or was that your plan?
Not that I'm calling you an idiot.

BrisVegas
13th February 2006, 03:17 PM
It's OK, BV, I'll still play with you again....Or was that your plan?
Not that I'm calling you an idiot.

What are you on about P ? :-?

Moe Norman
13th February 2006, 03:20 PM
didn't you mark your own card at pacific Andy?

AndyP
13th February 2006, 03:22 PM
didn't you mark your own card at pacific Andy?
Marked it, but didn't work out the total. Never mind.

burger
13th February 2006, 03:25 PM
Had a game at Richmond with bloke from works social club, shot 37 points.
HAD A LOT OF FUN!!!

Putting, tee & iron shots good, would have gone better with some local knowledge.
HAD A LOT OF FUN!!!

Faded on the last 3 holes . . . . damn I am SOOOOOOOOO unfit

Did I mention . . . . I HAD A LOT OF FUN!!!

amanda
13th February 2006, 03:32 PM
Did I mention . . . . I HAD A LOT OF FUN!!!
Been a while since the family let you out to play golf Stu? ;)

Moe Norman
13th February 2006, 04:02 PM
Marked it, but didn't work out the total. Never mind ahh so the incorrect total was still BV's fault then ? :D

AndyP
13th February 2006, 06:27 PM
ahh so the incorrect total was still BV's fault then ? :DIt's not like I'm totally ****ed off at BV, and will never mark his card again. I think I'm over it now, the counselling has been very beneficial.

BrisWesty
13th February 2006, 07:47 PM
Had an 86/72 at Wynnum. Was +6 after 12, and lost my way after that. Blame it on that bird that pooped on Dobbsy while we were waiting to hit off on the 4th.
For a course I've never seen before, reasonably happy with that.
Only 3 fairways (4 if you count the one that hit a tree and bounced back out), 6 effective tee shots (disappointing) but 5 GIR, 30 putts, 2/4 sand saves (including hitting the flag with one).

BrisVegas
13th February 2006, 08:49 PM
It's not like I'm totally ****ed off at BV, and will never mark his card again. I think I'm over it now, the counselling has been very beneficial.

get over it man, seriously... :-({|= ](*,)

burger
14th February 2006, 01:42 PM
Been a while since the family let you out to play golf Stu? ;)

well the boys do like attention & the missus likes me to help & I do enjoy being with em too . . . . .

But its also good to escape every now and then!

Did I mention I HAD A LOT OF FUN ? !!!!!