PDA

View Full Version : USA v Canada ice hockey 2014 (Perth in July)

Mububban
7th March 2014, 01:02 PM
No idea of the strength of the squads, but USA v Canada are touring the country in July. For the Perthies, game one at Perth Arena sold out (12,000 tickets) in only 4 days, so they've put on another game.

Friday 11 and Saturday 12 July.

http://www.pertharena.com.au/Event_Calendar/International%20Ice%20Hockey.aspx

USA will be captained by Zenon Konopka (of the Minnesota Wild), while Canada will be led by Kyle Quincey (of the Detroit Red Wings). They will be joined by a host of National Hockey League stars who will be announced in the coming months.

http://www.internationalicehockey.com.au
(http://www.internationalicehockey.com.au/)
Tickets ain't cheap, but it would be awesome:

Super Platinum 251.75
Platinum 201.75
Gold 151.75
Silver 131.75
Bronze 81.75
TSE Canada $275.00
TSE Usa $275.00
Showview Canada $385.00
Showview Usa $385.00

Slothman
7th March 2014, 01:06 PM
SHIT. Game one sold out already.

Better get my ass into gear. Really want to go to this.

rubin
7th March 2014, 01:48 PM
I honestly dont think it would be worth it.

Its a great game to watch - but for me 70% of the enjoyment is the atmosphere the fans generate over in the US and Canada. They are absolutely fanatical about the game and their team, and I don't think that would be carried over to Aus games.

solarbear
7th March 2014, 01:55 PM
If you ever got a chance to see a World Juniors game, tournament is usually at Xmas, that is a mindblowingly intense atmosphere.

But yeah, a couple of pick up squads of people not good enough to make the NHL not on the same level as the Olympics.

Normally, docile and well mannered Canadians turn go absolutely insane at a hockey match. I think the sport mantra in Canada is kind of "If it doesn't involve a puck, no one gives a F..."

Mububban
7th March 2014, 03:24 PM
I honestly dont think it would be worth it.

Its a great game to watch - but for me 70% of the enjoyment is the atmosphere the fans generate over in the US and Canada. They are absolutely fanatical about the game and their team, and I don't think that would be carried over to Aus games.

I dunno, WA is such a melting pot, I reckon the place will be packed with ex-pats making a huge noise :)

LeftyHoges
7th March 2014, 11:58 PM
The missus and I went to this in Melbourne last year. Good spectacle if you haven't seen it before. My bro is right into the NHL and I run the squads past him last year. Said there were a couple of 'regulars' but mostly development guys and youth team guys. I'd assume same again this year.

Like I said, a great spectacle if you haven't seen it before but if you're going to watch the top guns I very much doubt these will be them.

For the record, Canada won 11-9. So a bit more "showcase" than a normal game.

Johnny Canuck
7th March 2014, 11:59 PM
The missus and I went to this in Melbourne last year. Good spectacle if you haven't seen it before. My bro is right into the NHL and I run the squads past him last year. Said there were a couple of 'regulars' but mostly development guys and youth team guys. I'd assume same again this year.

Like I said, a great spectacle if you haven't seen it before but if you're going to watch the top guns I very much doubt these will be them.

For the record, Canada won 11-9. So a bit more "showcase" than a normal game.

Exactly.

Mububban
8th March 2014, 12:57 AM
Do they get the goalies from the Special Olympic squad or something?

Johnny Canuck
8th March 2014, 01:39 AM
Do they get the goalies from the Special Olympic squad or something?

They just don't play a defensive game. Similar style to the all star game they play every year

markTHEblake
8th March 2014, 01:45 AM
Should be good to watch , the world ice hockey championships they used to hold on the beach in Darwin were a blast.