PDA

View Full Version : My name is sharon and I'm not a hacker

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 09:53 AM
OK Shazza is down to 17.8 from 24....

She is starting to strugle with the RAC OS mens REG graphite irons. The only shots she is hitting are draws or hooks.

She is thinking of going to less offset and a steel shaft. To test the idea
She played 18 holes with Keza's smt Blades with SL S300 shafts (90 with a 10 on a par 5 not related to the irons). and 9 holes with my S59 CS-Lite Stiff irons (40).

Going from the OS to either other set she lost the Hook and picked up distance (1 iron in the smt, 2 in the S59).

She has offered to take my S59 of my hands.... Do I dare? should I keep her in reg steel? her 5 iron swing speed is only 83mph. (SAME AS WHEN I WENT TO STIFF FOR MORE CONTROL)

She like the blade (MB) design of the S59 because they are easy to punch.

Girls at the ladies masters where mainly playing R300. (some S300)

p.s
This could work in my favour for match play... or the change in gear could cause another HCP drop.:mrgreen:

andylo
7th February 2006, 10:06 AM
Peter, have you check if Shazza's angle of approach of the ball during impact? If it's coming from outside to in, with correct release of the club she can easily hit a low draw/hook.

Using a less offset head might help to offset the hook a little, but only for a short while. I don't think its a permanent solution (if apporach ball from the outside)

Assuming the shaft's cpm is correct enough a 86mph 5 iron swing speed sounds good to use R flex shaft, no matter graphite/steel, men/women.

McMw
7th February 2006, 10:08 AM
annika uses R300 in her irons...so too Christie Kerr...

not many would be using S300s on the ladies tour I would imagine...

AndyP
7th February 2006, 10:14 AM
See a clubfitter.

BrisVegas
7th February 2006, 10:17 AM
Have you had the CS-Lite shafts measured for their actual stiffness?? They might suit Sharon perfectly. I had heard that the CS-Lites were a fairly soft shaft.

I've got a couple of Japanese LPGA players boarding with me at the moment and they're both using Reg graphite shafts in all their clubs. (244 CPM in driver for instance)

Jarro
7th February 2006, 10:37 AM
See a clubfitter.

exactly.

Chris Mccourt would be one i'd recommend ... or one of the guys from GCI.

Good luck Shazza 8)

Moe Norman
7th February 2006, 10:40 AM
annika uses R300 in her irons...so too Christie Kerr...

not many would be using S300s on the ladies tour I would imagine...
yes but shazza has a different swing and build to them. I wouldn't hve thought less offset would correct a hook, but oh well.

McMw
7th February 2006, 10:53 AM
yes but shazza has a different swing and build to them. I wouldn't hve thought less offset would correct a hook, but oh well.

fair enuff, but relative to swing speed???

if I remember correctly, both Kerr and Sorenstam uses regular flex steel shafts in their irons, but stiff graphite in their woods...

can't be that hard to get hold of a couple of irons in regular steel flex shafts, with a head design that's not so offset...

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 10:56 AM
Jarro/ AP->May try Chris but I would not let he go to GCI.

Alo->Her swing is in-out 2*, her avg is right in the midle of reg so a fast swing is on top of the reg spec which could lead to hooks.

BV-> CS Lite is right on spec 260 Doesn't explain why she can hit DG SL S300 so easy, well and no lose in distance

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 10:59 AM

Moe offset is used among other things to help people stop slicing by giving the club face more time to close before impact. so less offset means impact is sooner so the club has not closed yet. It helps if a closed club face is adding to a hook/draw

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 11:15 AM
Annika's 8.5 degree; Stiff-flex Fujikura BT-60 graphite shaft, Regular-flex steel shafts (4 iron-PW)

Grace Park-> uses X flex in her woods and SL R300 in her irons

R could be the way to go.

Keza_G
7th February 2006, 11:24 AM
I thought we sorted this out last night Pete .... Shazza has a great swing but just a few technical issues in which a Teaching Professional could sort out. She has so much more power that she is yet to harness.

After playing with Shaz for a while now it is definately clear that she needs to "graduate" to a slightly stiffer shaft than she plays now, her draw/hooks are not related to her clubs at all, in my humble opinion, it is swing related. Having said that a stiffer shaft would help to curb the hook and maybe teach her to turn through the shot a bit more.

My Clubs suit me..... get your own !!!! But I think that my shafts would suit Shaz, she's strong enough to hit through them, if only she'd try to.... As far as heads go, How about these .... Shazzy's Irons (http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/irons/704CB.asp)

Just a thought....

Cheers

Keza

BrisVegas
7th February 2006, 11:27 AM
The 704CB's are a great club, but I reckon she'd get a better price on the S59's!!

Keza_G
7th February 2006, 11:30 AM
The 704CB's are a great club, but I reckon she'd get a better price on the S59's!!

And I bet Pete would get a better deal on whatever he picked up after shazz took the S59's too.....

3oneday
7th February 2006, 11:49 AM
I reckon she'd get a better price on the S59's!!aren't the s59 a hackers club ????? ;)

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 11:54 AM
Just did the Ping fit with shazza-

the shaft 0ptions Cs lite R (high ball flight) Cs Lite S (lower flight).

Mine was interesting

the shaft 0ptions Cs lite S (high ball flight) Cs Lite X(lower flight).

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 11:55 AM
only the standard model :) are hackers clubs

I think BV ment cost wise.

Keza_G
7th February 2006, 12:10 PM
Ok.... A buyist opinion there... of course the Ping guy would say CS Lites... cause then you would buy them from him... the DG guy would tell you Supa Lites..... all in all a good choice of shaft, the lighter shaft would be great for Shaz but I think that the R would still give Shazz a low flight, she has a natural low ball flight.... for Shazz, personally, I don't think there would be much difference between the S or R flexes... she would hit both very low anyways...

Now for you Mr hickey, I would perhaps suggest these clubs in DG SL S300's...Peeti'e clubs (http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/AllProduct/7399867934890FFC8525706F00667DBD?opendocument#)

Cheers

Keza

3oneday
7th February 2006, 12:15 PM
Why not Dynalites, or we aren't looking for a higher ball flight ?? I believe you can also get Dynalite Superlites !! even better.

Pete

Keza_G
7th February 2006, 12:22 PM
Why not Dynalites, or we aren't looking for a higher ball flight ?? I believe you can also get Dynalite Superlites !! even better.

Pete

Good call Pete.. I just checked the specs on those and can't see why they too would be an option. Te Dynalite gold SL are only new though and may not be as readily availale as the DG SL. however still a good call...

Anyone got any feedback onthese new shafts ?

Cheers

Keza

3oneday
7th February 2006, 01:01 PM
The dynalites are 120 grams, so 10 grams lighter to start with, I have just started using a set in stiff and they feel pretty good to me. My last two "good" sets (ie, the ones I liked the most), had Dynalites.

Pete

Jono
7th February 2006, 02:46 PM
If Shazza wants to try Graphite Rifles in S flex, I know where she can get some cheap. 8)

83 mph 5 iron clubhead speed means that her driver clubhead speed would be around 100mph. That's about the same as Sorenstam. Pretty darn good.

Fishman Dan
7th February 2006, 06:29 PM
OK, without reading 3 pages of an equipment topic... have you considered lessons to see where things are going wrong?

Might not.. i mean, silly as it may sound.... it might not be equipment related.

Jarro
7th February 2006, 06:32 PM
bite your tongue Fishy :p

shazza_rs
7th February 2006, 06:41 PM
Fish> lets see, i have a hcp of 18.... haven't had one lesson to get there....i believe they call it natural ability....maybe it is time for a lesson, however i haven't found one pro that i would actually work with as i don't like being forced into awkward positions. Secondly i know my own swing and what i'm doing wrong most of the time.... don't think i need to pay a pro 50 bucks for something i can work out for myself.

terryand
7th February 2006, 06:44 PM
Fish> lets see, i have a hcp of 18.... haven't had one lesson to get there....i believe they call it natural ability....maybe it is time for a lesson, however i haven't found one pro that i would actually work with as i don't like being forced into awkward positions. Secondly i know my own swing and what i'm doing wrong most of the time.... don't think i need to pay a pro 50 bucks for something i can work out for myself.

So there:smt019

You tell him Shazza.

terry.

Jono
7th February 2006, 06:57 PM

I got down to 18 handicap using a hand me down half set of rusted Wilson blades that were full inch shorter than standard. No lessons either. I never considered that natural ability ...

Let go of the ego and go see a pro. It might take a while to find one that suits you but when you do, you won't look back.

Speaking of lessons, how come you're not getting more lessons, Fishy? Are you still using the tips from the lesson you had a couple of years ago at Homebush? :roll: :lol:

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 07:06 PM
Jono take your own advice and lose the anti shank club :)

we check her swing on video every now and then for major faults

Jono
7th February 2006, 07:21 PM
Jono take your own advice and lose the anti shank club :)

we check her swing on video every now and then for major faults

I'm already in the middle of series of 10 lessons. Isn't that taking my own advice? :roll:

"We check her swing"? I presume that means you and Shazza? So a couple of golfers with average handicap of 20 knows as much about the golf swing as a pro with life time experience of teaching others? ](*,)

Secondly i know my own swing and what i'm doing wrong most of the time....

Most golfers THINK they know their own swing ...

Now it's time for me to :-#

Moe Norman
7th February 2006, 07:22 PM
18 is Natural ability?

I got to 3 with a baseball grip within 8 months of getting a handicap and my ego was never THAT big.

Play off 6 now and have had two attempted lessons, neither were any good because I refused to change my grip and they couldn't get past that fact. But I know in the long term it would help my game, but for now I'm hapy enough to play off single figures as I enjoy the game enough not to worry about my score any more.

Still, I don't think I have oodles of natural ability either and would never suggest that a pro couldn't help my game

shazza_rs
7th February 2006, 07:23 PM
Yeah a couple of 20 cappers with slo mo video can probably know more than some pros who still rely on their own eyes.

just for the record i have no ego when it comes to golf..... ;)

Fishman Dan
7th February 2006, 07:26 PM
I got to 16 with no lessons. But the point being as you're developing as a golfer, your swing is changing little by little. At hcap of 16 and playing well, i suddenly developed a massive tendency to hook the ball viciously. You might be swinging harder, note that i didn't actually write-off an equipment change?

Just seems that this thread has taken the course of every other thread... Problem posed, and then every club make/brand/type is mentioned over the next 5 pages regardless of the situation.

Just trying to help Shaz.. but the same old ****wits have to come out and jump all over a bloke trying to suggest that have someone else look at your swing might be a good idea.

And that means - not getting your swing analysed in lieu of buying equipment. A lesson.

Secondly i know my own swing and what i'm doing wrong most of the time.... don't think i need to pay a pro 50 bucks for something i can work out for myself

Re-read that when you calm down and see if you still believe that.

shazza_rs
7th February 2006, 07:29 PM
Moe,

I didn't say that a pro couldn't help me.... what i did say is that generally speaking most pros that i have tried don't work with what i have..... they tried to change it all and i was not comfortable anymore.

I didn't say 18 was natural ability... i've got there without even trying.

Moe Norman
7th February 2006, 07:29 PM
it does seem to be common around here that an equipment change will fix the problem.

I know I'm in the same boat lately with my changes but until 3 weeks ago I'd had the same clubs in my bag since 2001 except for a few putter changes.

now I'm just deciding what suits me for the next 5 years.

Moe Norman
7th February 2006, 07:30 PM
I didn't say 18 was natural ability... i've got there without even trying.
my eyes must be failing me, I sware I saw you say that getting to 18 with no lessons was...natural ability!

Fishman Dan
7th February 2006, 07:33 PM
Moe,

I didn't say that a pro couldn't help me....

Looks to me that's exactly what you said..

shazza_rs
Fish,

I'm not saying that i wouldn't get a pro to look at my game.... but as i have stated many times.... i haven't found one that i am comfortable with yet.

And i'm not worked up...... did the lack of emoticons make my post offensive? ;)

I do believe that I know my own swing..... not saying better than a pro might get to know it but better than a one off lesson with a pro. It is good to get independant views of my swing as I am obviously biased.... but at the end of the day if i don't get any better then so be it.

I wasn't having a go at you.

Fishman Dan
Secondly i know my own swing and what i'm doing wrong most of the time.... don't think i need to pay a pro 50 bucks for something i can work out for myself

Moe,

I didn't say that a pro couldn't help me....

Looks to me that's exactly what you said..

shazza_rs
7th February 2006, 07:40 PM
typical takes things out of context

Jono
7th February 2006, 07:43 PM
Just trying to help Shaz...

Bullsh!t ... :twisted: ;)

Shazza. I agree that getting one off lesson from a pro is of limited value. However, if/when you find a pro that you like, then get a series of lessons (whether it be 5 or 10 or whatever). When you and the pro make a commitment like that, good things start to happen ... 8)

With regard to equipment, looking at your clubhead speed, Men's regular should be stiff enough for you. You might want to try True Temper Shaftlab if you want to see your shaft loading characteristics.

Trung
7th February 2006, 07:46 PM
However, if/when you find a pro that you like, then get a series of lessons (whether it be 5 or 10 or whatever). When you and the pro make a commitment like that, good things start to happen ... 8)

So this is why you got yourself a ficken unshankable wedge? :mrgreen:

senecio
7th February 2006, 07:49 PM
I don't want to get involved in this debate, but if you're keen to try R300's in a club head with little to no offset, then my Tileist 990's would be a perfect example to try.

I'm going to try and get to Willawong tomorrow if you'd like to give them a go.

Ryan

Jono
7th February 2006, 07:55 PM
So this is why you got yourself a ficken unshankable wedge? :mrgreen:

I'll trade you for your Trihot putter. 8)

Jono
7th February 2006, 08:02 PM
I don't want to get involved in this debate, but if you're keen to try R300's in a club head with little to no offset, then my Tileist 990's would be a perfect example to try.

I'm going to try and get to Willawong tomorrow if you'd like to give them a go.

Ryan

C'mon. Get involved. You are not a true Ozgolfer until you get involved in one of these sh!t fights with the RS's ... :twisted:

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the offer ryan. if your out bring a iron, or two but I think the DG shaft is to heavy for her.

Lets just say if she wanted a lesson, she would get one. my pro has looked at her swing and sees nothing wrong with the basics, short game lets her down

She wants to try a different style of golf and I think it could be worth while in the long term.

Thanks to the last two posts for getting back on topic.

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 08:11 PM
C'mon. Get involved. You are not a true Ozgolfer until you get involved in one of these sh!t fights with the RS's ... :twisted:

Here I was thinking you were a nice guy.:-D ALO is a open target too:twisted:

Jarro
7th February 2006, 08:18 PM
leave A-Lo alone ... he's too fragile

Jono
7th February 2006, 08:18 PM
Here I was thinking you were a nice guy.:-D ALO is a open target too:twisted:

I'm only jabbin' Pete. ;)

Back to serious EQUIPMENT discussion. If Shazza is interested in a set of Graphite Rifles in S flex (which plays to firm) I know where you can get them at closeout prices ... $20 per shaft new.

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 08:23 PM
why do you think alo is fragile.....

so are you saying I'm solid....

or shazza is.....

no serious jono she wants to try steel, she likes the feel

Trung
7th February 2006, 08:24 PM
why do you think alo is fragile.....

so are you saying I'm solid....

or shazza is.....

no serious jono she wants to try steel, she likes the feel

don't make me laugh pleaseeeee :mrgreen:

peter_rs
7th February 2006, 08:26 PM
Its okay i have small shoulders ;)

back on topic :)

CobraSS
7th February 2006, 08:49 PM
here we go again

3oneday
7th February 2006, 08:54 PM
only 21 pages to catch up as well ;)

Fishman Dan
7th February 2006, 08:57 PM
typical takes things out of context

One post after the other isn't out of context ;)

Jarro
7th February 2006, 08:57 PM
only 21 pages to catch up as well ;)

you're not helping :roll:

3oneday
7th February 2006, 08:59 PM
you're not helping :roll::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
7th February 2006, 09:25 PM
Silly Poll, since when does gender have anything to do with Shaft choice?

Its all about clubhead speed and Load

if yuo dont go and get fitted you got rocks in your head.

Fishman Dan
7th February 2006, 09:27 PM
Silly Poll, since when does gender have anything to do with Shaft choice?

After all, it's a whole new millenium...