PDA

View Full Version : Is there a limit on comp rounds on the same day

weekend hacker
2nd March 2014, 10:42 PM
I am going away next week and we want to squeeze as much golf in 3 days as possible and was wondering if we can play two comp rounds in the one day. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Daves
2nd March 2014, 10:44 PM
Yes, as many as you can fit in, but normally only one round per course. Otherwise it would be considered practicing. But some clubs do allow it apparently.

I have played 2 comp rounds in a day a couple of times, at 2 different courses.

BUSHY
2nd March 2014, 10:45 PM
I'll go ahead and assume that if you can, it cant be the same comp at the same course. Interesting question though.

BenM
2nd March 2014, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure you can play a second round in the same field if you want, but the score won't count for comp purposes. You're not generally allowed to practice on the course before a round (unless match play) so playing an earlier comp round would fall under that I would think.

weekend hacker
2nd March 2014, 10:50 PM
It's at a different course which is only 15 minutes away from the course we are playing first.

BenM
2nd March 2014, 10:52 PM
Don't see why that would be an issue then. In fact I have heard of a couple of our keen juniors doing exactly that.

GuyIncognito
2nd March 2014, 11:06 PM
def can in NSW

marcel
2nd March 2014, 11:12 PM
Yes you can

JADO75
3rd March 2014, 12:30 AM
Iron man golf brotha although I normally get a cart for the 2nd game

dc68
3rd March 2014, 07:51 AM
You're not generally allowed to practice on the course before a round (unless match play) .

You may wish to check that before your next game of match play.

weekend hacker
3rd March 2014, 07:52 AM
We are playing four games in three days we are looking forward to it.

PeteyD
3rd March 2014, 08:00 AM
By the rules of golf Benimem is right,

a. Match Play
On any day of a match play competition, a player may practise on the competition course before a round.

b. Stroke Play
Before a round or play-off on any day of a stroke play competition, a competitor must not practise on the competition course or test the surface of any putting green on the course by rolling a ball or roughening or scraping the surface.
When two or more rounds of a stroke play competition are to be played over consecutive days, a competitor must not practise between those rounds on any competition course remaining to be played, or test the surface of any putting green on such course by rolling a ball or roughening or scraping the surface.
Exception: Practice putting or chipping on or near the first teeing ground or any practice area before starting a round or play-off is permitted.
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 7-1b:
Disqualification.

BUT, apparently the course or organisation running the comp can make a local rule to change both of those. AndyP found that out playing pennant a year or two ago.

BenM
3rd March 2014, 08:05 AM

Rule 7.1 seems to say it's fine. Not sure what I'm missing.

backintheswing
3rd March 2014, 08:06 AM
Rule 7.1 seems to say it's fine. Not sure what I'm missing.

Clubs can make a local rule to ban it.

BenM
3rd March 2014, 08:09 AM
Clubs can make a local rule to ban it.

Yeah it says that in the rules. They can also allow it for non matchplay rounds. That's why my post says 'generally' - would think the usual rules of golf would apply in the vast majority of cases.

dc68
3rd March 2014, 09:00 AM
I know in div 1 Brisbane pennant it is not allowed.

BenM
3rd March 2014, 09:09 AM
I know in div 1 Brisbane pennant it is not allowed.

Yeah and it was mentioned above AndyP got caught out too - presumably not Div 1. Was his due to a local rule as well or is it something the governing body in your district has implemented? And I wonder why?

I find it quite strange personally. It's fine in pennant here. I think it helps level the playing field to give the visiting team a look at a few holes before the match, makes no sense to me to ban it. But I'm sure they have some justification or other.

sms316
3rd March 2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah and it was mentioned above AndyP got caught out too - presumably not Div 1. Was his due to a local rule as well or is it something the governing body in your district has implemented? And I wonder why?I find it quite strange personally. It's fine in pennant here. I think it helps level the playing field to give the visiting team a look at a few holes before the match, makes no sense to me to ban it. But I'm sure they have some justification or other.The simple justification is that there may be other people on the course. Not every pennant match is played early. And why do you want to reduce home course advantage?

BenM
3rd March 2014, 09:17 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot you have clubs that don't want to give pennant any priority. Our matches always start relatively early Sunday mornings - not likely to be much traffic on the course at that time for us, and once the matches start everyone else can GGF until the course is clear, so it's not really an issue.

I don't think it reduces home course advantage all that much, realistically we'd usually only get 3 or 4 holes in at best - you can get a bit of a feel for speed of greens and condition of the course but that's no substitute for the sort of local knowledge you get playing the same track week in and week out. It does give everyone a chance to get their eye in, which helps encourage good golf and close competition. I think that's the way it should be.

AndyP
3rd March 2014, 09:53 AM
Governing body decision.
No one on the course beforehand with a 7am start.

Bruce
3rd March 2014, 10:28 AM
I've heard tell of a guy that won all three comps at The National in a single day.

Waddzy
3rd March 2014, 10:38 AM
What is the ruling with the handicap? Say you head out and have 40 pts your first round does your handicap need to be adjusted for you to play the following?

AndyP
3rd March 2014, 10:48 AM
What is the ruling with the handicap? Say you head out and have 40 pts your first round does your handicap need to be adjusted for you to play the following?No, it's your handicap for the day. There was some talk of Golf Australia having handicaps get updated every two weeks, but it looks like they abandoned that.

I've played two comps in a day before with andylo. We did the Nambour/Cooroy double, with a nice pie at the Yandina bakery in between.

Courty
3rd March 2014, 11:21 AM
I've played 2 comps in a day quite a number of times, but always on different courses.

One of the most memorable was both courses at Moonah Links with Bruce & Swanny back in the day.

Best. Whopper. Ever. :mrgreen:

Hatchman
3rd March 2014, 09:44 PM
I was playing in two comps (different courses) every week for two years back in the late 90's. Was funny shooting 2-3 in the morning over at one going out 0.1 then shooting 4-6 over at the other in the afternoon and loosing up to 0.6.
You had to have 40 points or more at the one I played in the morning just to make the ball list and that was no given. The B and C graders could tear it to shreds when having a day on.