PDA

View Full Version : ACL Reconstruction

naragah
6th February 2006, 07:45 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am booked in on the 23rd Feb for an Anterier Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction.
Anyone have any idea how long I will be out of golf for?

Jarro
6th February 2006, 07:48 PM
no idea mate, but i'd guess it'd be a while :(

how'd you do it ??

Grunt
6th February 2006, 07:49 PM
Not sure naragah, but I reckon I could safely say you will be out for longer than I with Brain surgery, less that 2 weeks. All the best mate.

naragah
6th February 2006, 07:54 PM
Jarro.
I did it 15years ago I have playing Rugby League for the Trundle Sunflowers I kid you not that is the name of the team.

I have had this knee problem for that time numerous xrays etc I dislocated it again and a new Dr sent me off for an MRI low and behold it showed up as gooorrrrnne.

Moe Norman
6th February 2006, 08:23 PM
i did my ACL in 2004 and didn't play golf for just over 9 months.

Grunt
6th February 2006, 08:37 PM
9 months OUCH

naragah
6th February 2006, 09:09 PM
9 MONTHS !!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like drunken sledging from the golf cart will be as close to the action I will get for a while.

Pinglauncher
6th February 2006, 09:10 PM
Isn't that the same injury Ernie Els had ?? and he was out for a good percentage of last year. I would guess 6 - 9 months would be pretty close.

naragah
6th February 2006, 09:19 PM
4 1/2 months for Ernie

though I aint no Ernie in fitness or golfing ability

Moe Norman
6th February 2006, 10:15 PM
i had meniscular damage and bruised bones which makes recovery harder. I was also intending to make a return to rugby during the rehab so was focussed purely on that so didn't have time to risk it with golf.

markTHEblake
6th February 2006, 10:28 PM
most of the ozgolfers would be out for 2 years with an ACL.

(Considering that a knee has to support 50% of the body weight)

raidrboy
6th February 2006, 10:41 PM
I have had TKR's (Total Knee Replacement) on both knees and, was out of action for around 15 months on each occasion. I think you would be looking at a minimum of 8 months on the bench. The best advice I can pass on is to do exactly what the surgeon and, physio tell you during rehab and once the scar heals over get into plenty of hydratherapy.

burger
7th February 2006, 11:35 AM
I have had ACL recontruct in both knees and was totally out of tennis for about 6 months. then got back into it and was AMAZED at what my subconscious stopped me from doing, ie my turn and chase just didn't happen!
Took me about 1 year to be back to normal.

The best advice I can pass on is to do exactly what the surgeon and physio tell you during rehab and once the scar heals over get into plenty of hydratherapy.
Gotta agree with raidrboy . . . . REALLY get into the physio exercises, i mean get TOTALLY focussed on them . . . EVERYDAY!!!!!

I was less concientious with my second op recovery and can really notice a difference.

All the best, hope your nurses are cute . . .. .

AndyP
7th February 2006, 02:25 PM
When footy player's do their ACL, it means they are gone for the season, and that's with the top physios, rehab facilities, etc.
However, that's to play footy, may be less time to recover enough for golf.

But it looks like you will have plenty of time to work on your putting.

990B Luva
7th February 2006, 06:38 PM
Blakey, you and I are safe if we ever need this done... we are both featherweights (thats all we have in common thankgod)

Jono
7th February 2006, 06:47 PM
Jarro.
I did it 15years ago I have playing Rugby League for the Trundle Sunflowers I kid you not that is the name of the team.

I have had this knee problem for that time numerous xrays etc I dislocated it again and a new Dr sent me off for an MRI low and behold it showed up as gooorrrrnne.

Was it the official term the ortho surgeon used? ;)

Is it your left knee or your right knee? There's more twisting force on the left knee during the swing but whether it's left or right, I'd say at least 6 months, probably closer to a year. Depends on your recovery. Everyday function shouldn't be a problem though. You gotta remember that as the name implies, it is a reconstruction using tendon from other sites (most commonly from the knee cap tendon or hamstring tendon). As others have already suggested, physio is really important.

Look at it this way. You can use this opportunity to become a really good putter and chipper ... :)

Jono
7th February 2006, 06:51 PM
Blakey, you and I are safe if we ever need this done... we are both featherweights (thats all we have in common thankgod)

:smt082 :smt005 :smt044 :smt043

:smt038

Blakey, are you going to take that from a 16 year old? ;)

990B Luva
7th February 2006, 07:28 PM
Jono, do the maths... Im 17 how else could i have my licence

markTHEblake
7th February 2006, 07:52 PM
Blakey, are you going to take that from a 16 year old? ;)

I took it as a compliment.