PDA

View Full Version : Driver off the deck.

rough_rider
1st March 2014, 12:40 AM
So im just curious ozgolfers, who out there can hit and does hit their driver off the deck?

You walk up to a long par 5, or 90* dog leg par 5 and have to hit something like 3 wood from the tee, yet if u make the corner with that your left with around 260-290 to the green, what is your option?

Personally as of late i play 9/10s of my golf at emerald lakes on the GC. the dog leg left 12th is around 200 up then hard left 280 or so to the green from emory, i used to go 3H then 3W, but just really taught myself to hit my driver flush off the deck, now its a matter of 3H driver and usually a 50-70m pitch on.

Just curious as to weather anyone else out there uses this kind of approach.

markTHEblake
1st March 2014, 12:52 AM
I used to hit driver for my second shot there because it is an uphill lie, and drivers all those years ago were a lot smaller and therefore easier to hit.

Today's driver off the deck is a fools errand

Lagerlover
1st March 2014, 12:57 AM
Today's driver off the deck is a fools errandCouldn't agree more, I hit driver as much as possible.

990B Luva
1st March 2014, 01:00 AM
I've hit driver off the deck in the past, it's no longer an option for me because it isn't smarter play. I can still do it, but I'm more likely to play a long iron followed by a wedge rather than go for broke.

rough_rider
1st March 2014, 01:02 AM
i agree to an extent, if i have enough room for error, ill take a crack. starting to get it very flush and without much movement, seems to work but just wanted others opinions if they use it. also, if i have a par 4/5 and i have a decent headwind at me, ill tend to go driver from the deck on the tee, keeping it low works fromt he tee and goes that little further then my 3W

sms316
1st March 2014, 06:43 AM
Yeah I do it, but there needs to be a few boxes ticked for me to do it. The main one is that being in a green side bunker is the most likely poor result. Anything worse than that isn't worth it v laying up to 100m.

Coldtopper
1st March 2014, 08:11 AM
The100 -120yd approach is the easiest shot in golf for any golfer that can actually play! But then again handicaps are about sorting pretenders from players! Just saying!!!!!
The lie would have to amazing with other cards in place before contemplating it...

BUSHY
1st March 2014, 08:24 AM
I've hit driver off the deck in the past, it's no longer an option for me because it isn't smarter play. I can still do it, but I'm more likely to play a long iron followed by a wedge rather than go for broke.

This exactly. I occasionally use it to punch long and low under overhanging obstacles but I don't use it to reach greens. I used to but only because my 3 wood wasn't a very strong part of my game, now I think it's a strength so there's no need for the 'all-or-nothing' shot.

Dotty
1st March 2014, 08:27 AM
In 30 years, I've never attempted it. A 4 wood off the deck is hard enough.

I've read (and seen) Adams 3w is great for 260+m shots into par 5s.

Muscles
1st March 2014, 08:46 AM
Never ever ever... I'm trying to lower my handicap, not blow it out.

Captain Nemo
1st March 2014, 08:49 AM
Can't hit my driver properly off the tee, why the **** would I want to hit it off the deck?

wazandnic
1st March 2014, 08:54 AM
With my old 907 driver it was awesome for this... A couple of fond driver off the deck shots, both at NSW funnily enough:
- 15th had about 200 in around the corner, into a strong wind. Played a low cut with the driver to 6 feet.
- 18th knocked it on for two for a two putt birdie

I miss that driver! :(

Haven't tried it since switching to the 910 or 913

goughy
1st March 2014, 09:01 AM
I would guess there would be few golfers over a hc of 5 that could try this with any level of confidence. The last time I saw someone do it was playing a 2ball ambrose with Jaster (so about 8 years ago) and the other pair were a 16 and +3 marker. From the right trees on 17 at City GC (some will know what I'm talking about) the +3 was able to sit his ball on a perfect tuft of grass and hit driver onto the green for their second. Still didn't beat us on the hole.

markTHEblake
1st March 2014, 09:03 AM
Huge uphill lie though Goughy. Even Lagerlover could hit driver from there.

Captain Nemo
1st March 2014, 09:04 AM
With my old 907 driver it was awesome for this... A couple of fond driver off the deck shots, both at NSW funnily enough:
- 15th had about 200 in around the corner, into a strong wind. Played a low cut with the driver to 6 feet.
- 18th knocked it on for two for a two putt birdie

I miss that driver! :(

Haven't tried it since switching to the 910 or 913

I've got one at mum and dads, they are coming up this week for the young fellas bday want them to bring it up?
;)

wazandnic
1st March 2014, 09:08 AM
Haha I actually still have one (plus another head only... thanks to Jetstar) that I pull out at the range every now and then. Whilst good option for off the ground, just not the same performance off the tee as the newer models. ;)

markTHEblake
1st March 2014, 09:12 AM
Probably a low COG? I had a Callaway Hawkeye something that was also heel weighted. I hit it better off the deck than I could hit my 3 wood. But that was the head design more than anything else. Drivers now have the COG much higher and about 200cc bigger!

wazandnic
1st March 2014, 09:18 AM
Probably a low COG? I had a Callaway Hawkeye something that was also heel weighted. I hit it better off the deck than I could hit my 3 wood. But that was the head design more than anything else. Drivers now have the COG much higher and about 200cc bigger!

Agree.

I also had a Hawkeye before the 907 and yeah used to like to give that a run off the deck also.

Hatchman
1st March 2014, 09:23 AM
Years ago with the 1st 9° Big Bertha I used it all the time as it was so easy to hit (even form less than average lies).
Couldn't hit any of the Big Bertha Titanium drivers that followed including the ERC II.
Tried my 910 D3 a few times and that was no good off the deck either.
My 10° SLDR is another story. I've tried it a couple of times and it's fairly easy to hit of the deck and low long bullets out of the trees. I've even got way too much flight from the rough as it surprisingly easy to get air borne.

Having said all that I only consider it if it feels like the right shot to play.

Captain Nemo
1st March 2014, 10:03 AM
Agree.

I also had a Hawkeye before the 907 and yeah used to like to give that a run off the deck also.
I used it over the new year when down at mum and dads for a week.
Probably the best I've driven the ball for ages of 3 -4 rounds, is that telling me something?

Yossarian
1st March 2014, 10:37 AM
I do it a fair bit, works pretty well for me.

bergsey
1st March 2014, 10:39 AM
3 jacked it?

simmsy
1st March 2014, 10:39 AM
:)

Yossarian
1st March 2014, 10:45 AM
Easy two putt, I wonder what that is telling me.

GuyIncognito
1st March 2014, 10:46 AM
I used to use it a fair bit (with current driver) provided my lie was good mainly because it went lower (but also a few yards further, not too many though as I didnt put the same swing on it as off the tee obv) than hitting 3W.

I updated my 3W to XHot Deep 3 14.5 and it goes just as far as a good driver off the deck now so that shot's pretty much out of the repertoire. Only time I use it now is as others have said when I need a long low shot out of trouble...

I think it's a useful shot for those willing to practice it and who can get the extra benefit, not recommended for 99% of us tho.

GuyIncognito
1st March 2014, 10:47 AM
Postscript: I also still use that shot if I need to hit a big cut as I find that shot easier to play with driver off the deck than 3W.

Scifisicko
1st March 2014, 12:45 PM
Depends on the situation, hit and giggle (mid week comp or ambrose) often , Mid way through the club champs and in the mix no. Last hole is a long par 5 into the wind, if i was 2 down i would probably have a crack.

davidw88
1st March 2014, 03:32 PM
I just seem to hit a cut if I try to hit it off the deck

Archi
1st March 2014, 03:37 PM
we all know we shouldn't do but hey i like to live once in a while and pretend i am better than what i really am plus ive never really found it that hard to hit it off the deck
just grip down and give it a fly

Archi
1st March 2014, 03:39 PM
I just seem to hit a cut if I try to hit it off the deck
exactly - aim left edge and let it ride

golfbound
1st March 2014, 04:08 PM
I use my driver off the deck alot goes about 30m further than my 3 wood.

PerryGroves
2nd March 2014, 07:44 AM
Postscript: I also still use that shot if I need to hit a big cut as I find that shot easier to play with driver off the deck than 3W.

I rarely use it now as I don't play off kikuyu. When I did, like Guy says, set it up left and hit a cut.

Waddzy
2nd March 2014, 08:40 AM
I will be hitting one today in an ambrose now doubt . Our 9th hole sets up so well for it , aim left usually wind blowing left to right and let it ride in... Only ever do it for ambrose days but

milo-man20
3rd March 2014, 06:15 AM
Tough off the deck, only out of the first cut with a nice fluffy lie

Waddzy
3rd March 2014, 07:59 AM
I hit a pretty solid one yesterday from 245m out into the wind to the front edge . Gotta be ready for it to come out low and cut but this hole suited it nicely. I dont think its the type of shot you would willingly do in a normal round but.. unless your scraping for 1 point on a hole in Stableford or something.

milo-man20
3rd March 2014, 09:43 AM
Just too tough with the massive heads these days

rough_rider
3rd March 2014, 09:50 AM
now that im a member at emerald lakes, im testing it alot when playing rounds on my own, getting the hang of it and it feels really good.

Waddzy
3rd March 2014, 10:55 AM
now that im a member at emerald lakes, im testing it alot when playing rounds on my own, getting the hang of it and it feels really good. The first cut of rough when I played there Friday night seemed perfect if its sitting up to hit driver anyway... trying it on the 12th? I think it was the Par 5 dogleg , I think if you run through the fairway enough to get a nice lie in the rough it would be a decent crack from there.. but that hole suited a generous lay up..

rough_rider
3rd March 2014, 02:07 PM
yeah thats where i mainly use it, i get my hybrid cranked up the middle or a little left, having the ball sitting in a slight upslope works mint, usually get it just over the first bunkers about 10m from the green.

Slothman
4th March 2014, 04:25 PM
I don't use my driver as my 3 wood hits really nice and the only places I would use my driver off the deck at my local course, would put me into some serious trouble on the slightest mishit.

However I do play with guys who regularily rip the big girl out. Club Champion doesn't carry a 3 wood and I have seen him go Driver/Driver into the breeze to get onto one of our 500meter Par 5's in two.

I suppose if it was the last hole in a Matchplay knockout and I was 245meters out, with my opponent somehow next to the flag...I might consider it....but that would be the only time I reckon I would...and I don't see that happening any time soon as it would require my opponent to mishit their drive, be further from the hole than me, and than cream their driver off the deck to do it. Not impossible...just unlikely.