PDA

View Full Version : John Holmes PGA Tour Winner !!!

3oneday
6th February 2006, 10:41 AM
JB Holmes streeted the field today to win by 7 strokes. Not bad for a Tour rookie, aged 23 !!!

Won the Tour Qualifying tourny in 2005 and another one of these tyros that hit's it a mile !!! I saw him yesterday cut the corner on a 410 yard par 4 and leave in 20 yards short of the green. Not just long by name !!! ;)

Showed great mettle in the last round, was only leading by one after 11, I believe he was actually behind until Ryan Palmer fell away.

http://www.pgatour.com/scoring/leaderboard/r

Pete

Jarro
6th February 2006, 11:06 AM
watched him hit a drive up 18 this morning that was 350 yards .... and he hits a fade off the tee :smt119

this young guy will be the next superstar .... he hits the ball so much further than anybody else at the moment, and he has a killer short game to boot ... a lethal combination.

Eag's
6th February 2006, 11:21 AM
This bloke is HUGE!! of the tee, 12 of his drives were over 310 yards and how bout 350y down the 9th & 356y down 18 :)
I hope he can keep it going, he sure is fun to watch.

Jarro
6th February 2006, 11:24 AM
How about his swing though ... looks like a 3/4 swing at most :-o

markTHEblake
6th February 2006, 02:47 PM
So what your saying is this guy is long? Do they call him Long John Holmes or just Wad for short?

McMw
6th February 2006, 06:30 PM
when was the last time a cobra driver was used by a winner on tour!!! :D

Jarro
6th February 2006, 06:33 PM
I also heard Peter Kostis and Lanny Wadkins say that, after hearing how far JB has been hitting his drives, Vijay and Phil have started experimenting with longer shafted drivers in an attempt to keep up with the young guns :mrgreen:

drunken
6th February 2006, 08:52 PM
yes he said PM had a 48" driver. And VJ has been using a 47" shaft....

Speirsy11
6th February 2006, 09:11 PM
when was the last time a cobra driver was used by a winner on tour!!! :D

Might have been Tiger in the 97 Masters

gazgolf1
6th February 2006, 09:14 PM
What about that 300 yd 3 wood?:shock:

Jarro
6th February 2006, 10:32 PM
... or the 240 yard 4 iron into the wind ;)

the guys a monster , but it doesn't look like he rips at it that hard.

3oneday
6th February 2006, 10:58 PM
How about the driver up the last (replay was on tonight), granted he had a 7 shot lead but he was 100 yards in front of the other guys !!!

Look out Tiger !!!

Jono
6th February 2006, 11:43 PM
Go COBRA !!
8)

Jarro
7th February 2006, 07:55 AM
How about the driver up the last (replay was on tonight), granted he had a 7 shot lead but he was 100 yards in front of the other guys !!!

Look out Tiger !!!

the commentators were saying Phil Mickelson had hit a pearler there previously .... something around 340 or so .... then JB pops up and flies it past Phil's effort :shock:

you know the guys something special when the commentators start getting lost for words.

McMw
7th February 2006, 10:15 AM
only saw the last 2 holes he played on replay...
funky swing with the wedge to the last, but wat a bomb...

great camera work from the balloon tho to catch both the t shot on 17 and 18...

Jarro
7th February 2006, 10:39 AM
did you see the slo-mo shot they did of his 140 yard wedge into 16 ??? amazing shots.

the man has NO wrist **** at all. and takes it stright up in the backswing unlike anyone i've seen on tour ...

BrisVegas
7th February 2006, 10:43 AM
John Cook has a full shoulder turn and little or no wrist-break. His top-of-backswing position looks like a 3/4 swing, yet he's fully turned his shoulders. Not that unlike Tiger a couple of swing changes back....

Jarro
7th February 2006, 10:47 AM
they also did a comparison shot of JB and J Daly hitting driver shots ... truly amazing pics... wish i had of tapped that ;)

both of them have very aggressive hip turn, and this is where it's thought they get their great distance from ..... and apart from the difference in the length of their backswings, their overall swings look very similar.

I tapped the slo-mo vision of JB hitting the wedge on a tape i did for AndyLo and it's just hypnotic to watch :smt118

Flowergirl
7th February 2006, 09:50 PM
Is his first name really John? No wonder he uses J.B.:)
I saw the highlights last night. What an amazing effort! I'm not usually that impressed by long hitters - but WOW. It's going to be good to watch his progress.