PDA

View Full Version : Moonah Links

TS
24th February 2014, 10:55 PM
I am going to play Moonah Links in couple weeks time. I am only there for a day, so I have to pick either the Open or the Legend course.

Which one should I play?

BenM
24th February 2014, 10:57 PM
Have played Legends - I believe the Open course is longer and tougher.

So, how good do you think you are, and how windy it is on the day might be the things that make up your mind... I enjoyed Legends. It wasn't a super tough course but it was challenging.

spanner039
25th February 2014, 06:08 AM
Legends, but you realise st Andrews beach is 2 min further down the road play that instead.

WBennett
25th February 2014, 06:46 AM
Legends, but you realise st Andrews beach is 2 min further down the road play that instead.
+eleventy

BrettM
25th February 2014, 06:52 AM
But the course ranking experts at Golf Digest ranked ML Legends ahead of St. Andrews Beach.....

Marto65
25th February 2014, 06:55 AM
But the course ranking experts at Golf Digest ranked ML Legends ahead of St. Andrews Beach.....

The course ranking experts here don't.

Go play StAB.

Coldtopper
25th February 2014, 07:37 AM
Thats the advantage gained when hosting a celebrity pro am once upon a time.
Rankings outside the top 20 are sometimes purchased if you look harder you can often work it out for yourself!

TS
25th February 2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I can play Moonah Link for free and I have couple guests and they are only paying $50. So it is an easy choice.

AndyP
25th February 2014, 07:54 AM
I enjoyed the Legends course more, TS.

Marto65
25th February 2014, 08:26 AM
If you play Moonah Open, after the game, you'll sit there with a beer and think you wasted a golf day. Your mates will say thanks, then not talk to you for 3 weeks.

If you play Moonah Legends, after the game, you'll have 4 beers and think that it's been a most enjoyable day. Your friends will thankyou, and they will probably buy the beers as you reminisce about a quality golf course.

If you play StAB, after the game, when you get back to your motel ... make sure you have first shower.

Captain Nemo
25th February 2014, 08:33 AM
If you play Moonah Open, after the game, you'll sit there with a beer and think you wasted a golf day. Your mates will say thanks, then not talk to you for 3 weeks.

If you play Moonah Legends, after the game, you'll have 4 beers and think that it's been a most enjoyable day. Your friends will thankyou, and they will probably buy the beers as you reminisce about a quality golf course.

If you play StAB, after the game, when you get back to your motel ... make sure you have first shower.

:smt044

PeteyD
25th February 2014, 08:34 AM
Watch out for that silicon stuff.

TS
25th February 2014, 10:44 AM
I don't understand the bit about "make sure you have first shower."

Dotty
25th February 2014, 10:48 AM
I don't understand the bit about "make sure you have first shower."
Ever listened to the commentary, when they use the UV light in CSI Las Vegas?

TS
25th February 2014, 10:52 AM
Ever listened to the commentary, when they use the UV light in CSI Las Vegas?

Scott, sorry but I am a bit thick. I still can't see the connection in between StAB and the shower.

Dotty
25th February 2014, 11:01 AM
He really liked the course.

Have you seen the hair gel scene from Something About Mary?

AndyP
25th February 2014, 11:02 AM
Scott, sorry but I am a bit thick. I still can't see the connection in between StAB and the shower.It's nice to know that your mind is pure and doesn't stray into the gutter.

aym
25th February 2014, 12:06 PM

I've played all 3 multiple times, tbh I can't tell the difference...

Bruce
25th February 2014, 12:27 PM
If you have not played any of them then maybe start with Moonah Open. That way you get it out of the way and never have to play it again.

LarryLong
25th February 2014, 12:36 PM
No wonder StAB didn't have any showers in the clubhouse.

I have only played Legends, and I enjoyed it. I looked from the clubhouse over the Open course and all I could see was a forest of bunkers. It looked too hard for me. I would only take my chopper mates to the open course if I wanted to laugh at them and make them suffer. Otherwise I would choose the Legends course.

WBennett
25th February 2014, 01:18 PM
I wouldnt mind having a go at the Open just once to tick it off.

But Legends goes from really good to really bad (15th). Open allegedly is more bad than good.

mint
25th February 2014, 02:05 PM
having played all 3 more times than I can remember my preference would always be St Andrews. If Moonah was my only option then it would be Legends. Its a great track that has more character to it than the open.

Open is a tough track from the back markers and just plain old links course from other tees. Condition wise I always find the Legends is maintained a little better than the really low cut fairways of the open.

sms316
25th February 2014, 02:07 PM
having played all 3 more times than I can remember my preference would always be St Andrews. If Moonah was my only option then it would be Legends. Its a great track that has more character to it than the open. How many "great tracks" are there in Australia?

mint
25th February 2014, 02:10 PM
IMO a handful but I haven't played all the courses in the top 100. Best course I have played in Australia is hands down the National Golf Club Old Course.

BenM
25th February 2014, 02:14 PM

Is that what happened last time you played it? I can't remember 8)

Marto65
25th February 2014, 02:30 PM
Is that what happened last time you played it? I can't remember 8)

I said you'll ... meaning him.

However ... I had 2 beers. One of them was bought for me. May have been due to someone not reaching the ladies tee.

And I played with Mr Tamborine Man. He had a jingle jangle morning.

yarn
3rd April 2014, 07:21 AM
Played Legends last year. It was great.