PDA

View Full Version : Putter talk.

rough_rider
23rd February 2014, 02:29 AM
So ive been looking into a new putter as of late and been looking at different options, im loving the look of scotty cameron newport 2.6 and can pick one up for $220 to my door second hand but unsure if thats an alright price?
then im also looking at something along the lines of this? http://au.odysseygolf.com/putters/family/metal-x/putters-2013-metal-x-6-cs.html

just wondering what everyone out there uses and why? thanks.

D22marshall
23rd February 2014, 04:46 AM
Scotty's always hold their value a lot better than anything else. 220 is on the money for a 2.6.
I have had a lot if different putters and will continue to swap and change as I love putters every maker have different feel and looks, don't abuse them and you can swap in and out of putters quite easy.
Currently have a Scotty studio select 1.5 Newport and an older napa on the way. Personally like looking at a lot of the blade and no massive neck connections like plumbers necks but totally personal

Dotty
23rd February 2014, 05:54 AM
I like the feel and control of a heel shafted putter, but need an alignment line for performance. Also prefer the heavier feel.

Mizuno MP-T102. (Similar shape to a Scotty Del Mar, but without the mickey mouse graphics.)

Marto65
23rd February 2014, 07:58 AM
Sorry, I don't like to talk about my putter.

JADO75
23rd February 2014, 08:09 AM
Currently using a Daddy Long Legs 35" counter balanced putter, two rounds in & couldn't be happier with it. Prior to that I was using a counter balanced Spider Blade, switching between the slant & plumbers neck. I've always been a streaky putter but since switching to the counter balanced models my confidence on the greens has risen plenty. To each their own but I've always thought Scotty's are overrated, I've owned plenty of different models previously but I definitely think there is a wank factor involved.

3Puttpete
23rd February 2014, 08:38 AM
The Rife Trinidad is now a spare after moving to Cleveland Classic 6 because I wanted to try a mid mallet. So far I'm pretty happy with it although I reckon I can see a Rife Abaco in my future. As long as I like the look and feel I'm happy. None of them work anyway.

Courty
23rd February 2014, 09:11 AM
I love traditional mallets. For years I used variations of the Odyssey White Hot #5. I tried a few other brands, but have now settled on the Scotty Fastback 1.5.

davepuppies
23rd February 2014, 09:30 AM
I use a daddy long legs 35 inch too.

It's big, it's ugly, but it sends the ball on my intended line every go.

As far as looks go, I have always loved Odysseys #9 shape. I own 5 different versions, but late last year i realised it is not the right putter to actually score well with.

IamViva
23rd February 2014, 10:04 AM
best putter i have owned for feel has been an odyssey white hot pro #3, the confidence i get from consistent feel off the insert is what i like most about it.
prior to that i had i nike method, scotty newport, some sort of never compromise, taylormade rossa and a odyssey white hot xg #1. For my preference on feel the two odyssey putters have been the two best that ive ever owned

simmsy
23rd February 2014, 10:38 AM
2nd hand Rife best putters.

:)

rough_rider
23rd February 2014, 11:23 AM
im currently using a cleveland classic black #2 and as of late im more and more not liking the heel shafted putter, looking to move to something different.

simmsy
23rd February 2014, 11:23 AM
Rife Barbados CS

Ferrins
23rd February 2014, 12:14 PM
I use a Mizuno MP A301 putter because I decided to stop buying golf clubs and just settle on one brand. Mizuno has always been a fav so ran with them.

3Puttpete
23rd February 2014, 12:22 PM
Rife Barbados CS

Trinidad CS. Tropical

simmsy
23rd February 2014, 12:23 PM
I have one of these.
Never used it

3Puttpete
23rd February 2014, 12:24 PM
It's pretty

wizard_of_oz
23rd February 2014, 12:25 PM
Talking about what putter is going to be right for you by basing it on what others are using is an exercise in futility. What works for one person, doesn't work for another. I've had putters with the exact same specifications built in terms of length, lie angle and loft and same Anser style head with full plumber's neck offset but one was an insert, the other was milled and they behave completely different. I hate the DDL, thought it was rubbish for distance control, absolute crock for long lag putts but others love it.

gazgolf1
23rd February 2014, 12:29 PM
Lovin Yes putters at the minute http://yesgolf.com/putters/

I've got a Sandy 12 mid putter cut down to 33", nice weight and every putter I pick up now feels way light, I also like the look of the Stacey.

Hux
23rd February 2014, 12:59 PM
It's pretty CHEAP ON THE BAY TOO. u SELLING THIS 3pp?

3Puttpete
23rd February 2014, 01:05 PM
Thinking about it. It's just sitting there at the moment.

Marto65
23rd February 2014, 02:22 PM
2nd hand Rife best putters.

:)

Shhhh. Everyone will want one.

nadg63
23rd February 2014, 02:53 PM

I've got a Sandy 12 mid putter cut down to 33", nice weight and every putter I pick up now feels way light, I also like the look of the Stacey.

'Yes' putter here too, though mine is a Tracy 1, been using it for a while and have had no reason to change.

Before that, (and my back-up), was a Wilson Staff Kirk Currie 1, the one with the changeable head/grip weights, a nice thing.

Hux
23rd February 2014, 02:55 PM
Thinking about it. It's just sitting there at the moment.

Let me know

weekend hacker
23rd February 2014, 03:29 PM
One word Lajosi the best golf purchase I have ever made.

chappy1970
23rd February 2014, 03:49 PM
The Piretti I bought off Vincent recently is the greatest feeling putter I have ever used

TheNuclearOne
23rd February 2014, 03:53 PM
Talking about what putter is going to be right for you by basing it on what others are using is an exercise in futility. What works for one person, doesn't work for another. .

Say what? Are you trying to say garnering others blind opinions is less important than worrying about matching loft to your stroke and greens, matching toe hang to your personal style, trialing for look, type, face material and feel, getting the length, lie, balance, offset and headweight correct, etc etc etc?

Blasphemy.

Getting the length, lie and weight right is a biggie, and that ties in to correct stance and posture as well. One of the best putting displays i've ever seen was with a dirty old Tiger shark. You don't have to spend much money if you don't want to. You see a lot of guys sporting Camerons that can't putt a lick.

I use a T.P. Mills mid mallet blade, it's a ripper. It fits me very very well in all aspects tho, especially weight, length and lie.

Captain Nemo
23rd February 2014, 04:02 PM
You see a lot of guys using Oddy's that couldn't hit the hole from 2 feet as well....

Yossarian
23rd February 2014, 04:06 PM
At least they haven't wasted a shitload of cash though.

Captain Nemo
23rd February 2014, 04:07 PM
Don't know what you mean there tiger?

BenM
23rd February 2014, 04:25 PM
Don't know what you mean there tiger?

An Odyssey is cheaper than a designer putter like a Scotty or Lajosi etc. I think that's all he meant :)

3Puttpete
23rd February 2014, 05:32 PM
Let me know

Pm sent

SirTop
23rd February 2014, 05:51 PM
Enjoying the Taylormade Spider Blade slant and won't be changing now for a while.

mrbluu
23rd February 2014, 06:25 PM
Get one or 2 that suit ur stroke and set up to your specs and then rotate them when one feels stale or starts to misfire. The change will help ur alignment and feel.

I've got about 10 putts including 4 Scotty's and 2 Odysseys. I current use a yes Tracy II and a Cleveland classic 4. Both are set up at 33", lie angle of 71* and 3* loft with extra weights put down the shaft. I've worked hard on my putting and these 2 have given me the best results of an extended period.

I worked hard on alignmen drills to make sure that my set up is good so I dont have to make too many compensations with my stroke.

Good luck.

rough_rider
23rd February 2014, 06:58 PM
thanks for all the help, another question whats the difference between a scotty 1.5 and 2.6 newport? thanks.

wazandnic
23rd February 2014, 07:17 PM
1.5 is a flow neck style (first pic) and will generally suite a more arcing type stroke... 2.6 is a centre shaft (2nd pic) generally for a straight back straight through stroke.

JADO75
23rd February 2014, 07:18 PM
Enjoying the Taylormade Spider Blade slant and won't be changing now for a while.

Does yours sit a little toed in when your hands are in line with the putter face but looks square when you press your hands forward a little?

3Puttpete
23rd February 2014, 07:35 PM
1.5 is a flow neck style (first pic) and will generally suite a more arcing type stroke... 2.6 is a centre shaft (2nd pic) generally for a straight back straight through stroke.

Doesn't Scotty Cameron himself poo-poo the whole straight back straight through idea?

SirTop
23rd February 2014, 07:44 PM
Does yours sit a little toed in when your hands are in line with the putter face but looks square when you press your hands forward a little?

Hey mate

I'm not real sure to be honest. The toe sits up a bit at address but I don't pit the hands forward, it just sits fairly flat at address. Is that what you mean?
did you ditch the SB Slant for the Daddy Long Legs??

i struggled with this at first but I now use a slow takeaway, real slow, and get great accuracy on the through put. Knocked in most short putts today and got several fairly long ones, for me anyway

JADO75
23rd February 2014, 08:16 PM
A mate grabbed my Spider Blade & said that he thought that it looks like it sits closed at address, well it doesn't take much to mess with my $2 head so when I missed a putt left all I could think about was what my boofhead mate said & the reason I missed left was because it was toed in. I don't think that it is but its done my head in so I switched to the DLL & couldn't be happier, two games in & if I don't make the putt I generally give it a pretty decent shake.

KristianJ
23rd February 2014, 08:45 PM
An Odyssey is cheaper than a designer putter like a Scotty or Lajosi etc. I think that's all he meant :)

There are "designer" Odysseys out there...

Plus for what it's worth, I'm one of the Oddy users who are capable of hitting 2 footers past the hole and leaving myself 3 foot back. :lol:

rough_rider
23rd February 2014, 09:07 PM
thansk for the help, think id prefer the 1.5 to the 2.6!

SirTop
23rd February 2014, 09:40 PM
A mate grabbed my Spider Blade & said that he thought that it looks like it sits closed at address, well it doesn't take much to mess with my $2 head so when I missed a putt left all I could think about was what my boofhead mate said & the reason I missed left was because it was toed in. I don't think that it is but its done my head in so I switched to the DLL & couldn't be happier, two games in & if I don't make the putt I generally give it a pretty decent shake.

Doh. I know that feeling.

Nothings wrong with it Imo, works a treat now for me but good to hear that the new one is good

Buzz
23rd February 2014, 09:55 PM
Good timing on this thread, becuase of something that happened today.

I currently, and always have, used the putter from the original set of clubs I owned, which were in fact my grandfathers. I started using them as a teenager. All the other clubs are long since broken through use (by that I mean age, not rage :) ).

When I was a kid, say 16, the pro at my club saw what I was using and offered me my choice of putters from the pro shop in exchange for mine. I said no, it was my grandfathers and I like it.

Barely thought of that since, I still putt with it and I have a great feel with it. It is definitely showing signs of age though.

Fast forward to today and one of the guys in my group asked to take a look at it. He laughed and reckoned it was a collectible and was valuable.

So I thought I would ask on here and see if anyone has any ideas. The putter is a Fred Bulger, pretty sure the handle itself may be wooden (it certainly has a wooden cap with something resembling a small nail though it). Has Fred Bulger in script on the top of the putter head and "putter" on the underside. The metal part of the shaft is looking fairly aged.

No idea if thats enough description ... I could take photos if needs be. Would welcome any thoughts!

Shortylook
23rd February 2014, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I want a new putter. Like the looks of a Scotty duel balance type that Adam Scott uses. Just not the long variety as SMS will smash me. Taylormade spider type look nice too

Johnny Canuck
23rd February 2014, 10:29 PM

I hit a Stephanie the other week. So nice.

wizard_of_oz
23rd February 2014, 10:34 PM
I hit a Stephanie the other week. So nice. Are we still talking putters?

Shane788
24th February 2014, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure I want a new putter. Like the looks of a Scotty duel balance type that Adam Scott uses. Just not the long variety as SMS will smash me. Taylormade spider type look nice too

I just bought the 38" dual balanced futura x and its a great putter, taking 2 games to get used to but it's only getting better.

davepuppies
24th February 2014, 09:54 AM
There are "designer" Odysseys out there...

Plus for what it's worth, I'm one of the Oddy users who are capable of hitting 2 footers past the hole and leaving myself 3 foot back. :lol:

Yep, I have a bag full of expensive Japanese versions, but none of them suit my stroke these days!

DLL for the win!

navierStoked
24th February 2014, 05:05 PM
Buy. Putt. Sell. Repeat.