PDA

View Full Version : Australian Ladies Masters- Royal Pines

BrisWesty
5th February 2006, 05:02 PM
Nice effort by the amateurs. Again some big issues on the 18th. Nice birdie putt by Cartright to force the playoff.

Jarro
5th February 2006, 05:43 PM
big issues on the 18th ?????? :smt017

what happened ???

3oneday
5th February 2006, 07:54 PM
Anyone we know win ???

BrisWesty
5th February 2006, 08:07 PM
Amy Yang tugged her approach on the 18th into the stands, took her free drop, and bogeyed. The other amateur in the final group had a birdie putt just slide past the hole and parred to finish one behind. Cartright (in the group before) sunk a 5-6m putt for birdie to force the playoff.

Amy Yang sunk a good birdie putt (4-5m) straight up the hill on the first play off hole to win. 16 years old. Will be back in school tomorrow. 3 out of the top 4 finishers were amateurs. Good on them!

What is the fascination with hitting the ball into the stands on the 72nd hole?

3oneday
5th February 2006, 08:46 PM
So, the future of womens golf in Australia is assured, or is she playing under the banner of Korea ?? I thought I heard that somewhere ??

Having said that, what were the pros doing ???

Pete

Trung
5th February 2006, 08:57 PM
Shes Korean and playing for Korea.... Been is Australia for 14 months to attend golf school...

3oneday
5th February 2006, 09:04 PM
Shes Korean and playing for Korea.... Been is Australia for 14 months to attend golf school...OK, so Australian Ladies golf is in all sorts again ???

Any Aussies near the top ??

Pete

Trung
5th February 2006, 09:11 PM
1 275-13 Amy Yang (Am) (KOR)
2 275-13 Catherine Cartwright (USA)
3= 276-12 Ya Ni Tseng (Am) (ROC)
3= 276-12 Louise Stahle (SWE)
3= 276-12 Tiffany Joh (Am) (USA)
6= 277-11 Nikki Campbell (AUS)
6= 277-11 Ludivine Kreutz (FRA)
8= 278-10 Tamie Durdin (AUS)
8= 278-10 Gwladys Nocera (FRA)
10 279-9 Linda Wessberg (SWE)
11= 280-8 Hyun Hee Moon (KOR)
11= 280-8 Maria Hjorth (SWE)
11= 280-8 Nadina Light (AUS)
11= 280-8 Kirsty S Taylor (ENG)
15= 281-7 Karin Sjodin (SWE)
15= 281-7 Hee Young Park (KOR)
15= 281-7 Diana Luna (ITA)
18= 282-6 Hsiao-Ching Lu (ROC)
18= 282-6 Katherine Hull (AUS)
18= 282-6 Lynnette Brooky (NZ)
21= 283-5 Nikki Garrett (AUS)
21= 283-5 Lindsey Wright (AUS)
21= 283-5 Cecilia Ekelundh (SWE)
21= 283-5 Sophie Sandolo (ITA)
25= 284-4 Yun Jye Wei (TPE)
25= 284-4 Cherie Byrnes (AUS)
25= 284-4 Rebecca Stevenson (AUS)
25= 284-4 Ana Larraneta (ESP)
25= 284-4 Eun Hee Ji (KOR)
25= 284-4 Shinobu Moromizato (JPN)
25= 284-4 Mhairi McKay (SCO)
25= 284-4 Rebecca Coakley (IRE)
33= 285-3 Laura Davies (ENG)
33= 285-3 Karrie Webb (AUS)
33= 285-3 Rachel Hetherington (AUS)
33= 285-3 Laurette Maritz (SA)
37= 286-2 Ursula Wikstrom (FIN)
37= 286-2 Bo Bae Song (KOR)
37= 286-2 Asa Gottmo (SWE)
37= 286-2 Eva Steinberger (AUT)
37= 286-2 Ana B Sanchez (ESP)

Jono
5th February 2006, 09:51 PM
1 275-13 Amy Yang (Am) (KOR)
2 275-13 Catherine Cartwright (USA)
3= 276-12 Ya Ni Tseng (Am) (ROC)
3= 276-12 Louise Stahle (SWE)
3= 276-12 Tiffany Joh (Am) (USA) (should be KOR)
6= 277-11 Nikki Campbell (AUS)
6= 277-11 Ludivine Kreutz (FRA)
8= 278-10 Tamie Durdin (AUS)
8= 278-10 Gwladys Nocera (FRA)
10 279-9 Linda Wessberg (SWE)
11= 280-8 Hyun Hee Moon (KOR)
11= 280-8 Maria Hjorth (SWE)
11= 280-8 Nadina Light (AUS)
11= 280-8 Kirsty S Taylor (ENG)
15= 281-7 Karin Sjodin (SWE)
15= 281-7 Hee Young Park (KOR)
15= 281-7 Diana Luna (ITA)
18= 282-6 Hsiao-Ching Lu (ROC)
18= 282-6 Katherine Hull (AUS)
18= 282-6 Lynnette Brooky (NZ)
21= 283-5 Nikki Garrett (AUS)
21= 283-5 Lindsey Wright (AUS)
21= 283-5 Cecilia Ekelundh (SWE)
21= 283-5 Sophie Sandolo (ITA)
25= 284-4 Yun Jye Wei (TPE)
25= 284-4 Cherie Byrnes (AUS)
25= 284-4 Rebecca Stevenson (AUS)
25= 284-4 Ana Larraneta (ESP)
25= 284-4 Eun Hee Ji (KOR)
25= 284-4 Shinobu Moromizato (JPN)
25= 284-4 Mhairi McKay (SCO)
25= 284-4 Rebecca Coakley (IRE)
33= 285-3 Laura Davies (ENG)
33= 285-3 Karrie Webb (AUS)
33= 285-3 Rachel Hetherington (AUS)
33= 285-3 Laurette Maritz (SA)
37= 286-2 Ursula Wikstrom (FIN)
37= 286-2 Bo Bae Song (KOR)
37= 286-2 Asa Gottmo (SWE)
37= 286-2 Eva Steinberger (AUT)
37= 286-2 Ana B Sanchez (ESP)

Be the REDS ... 8)

amanda
6th February 2006, 03:33 PM
Shes Korean and playing for Korea.... Been is Australia for 14 months to attend golf school...
She's apparently attending Robina Woods High - but I don't think she's terribly focused on studies - I'm not even sure she understood the questions she was asked in her post-win interview. (Yes - I understand she's 16 and it was hugely emotional - but after 14 months of living here - you think she'd know a few more phrases than "I played really well" and some mumbling about her father).

My fav to watch was Tiffany Joh from the USA - animated, emotional on the golf course - always smiling - it made it enjoyable to watch the stuff between golf shots.

McMw
6th February 2006, 03:47 PM
16yo amateur wins...puts the pros to shame huh!!! :lol:

markTHEblake
6th February 2006, 06:16 PM
She's apparently attending Robina Woods High - but I don't think she's terribly focused on studies -

She came out here to play golf, thats it. Dont think there is a visa for that so she goes to school. Father is here with her, mother stays home in Korea.

The other day I was with one of the guys who runs the Glades. he was setting up one of the luxury units, fully furnished with everything for some Jap bloke to live in while his son goes to Bond Uni here. forgot what the weekly rent is but I remember thinking i wish i earned that much a week.

There has gotta be hundreds of cases like this on the GC (and brookwater)

goughy
7th February 2006, 05:29 AM
The interviewed catherine cartwright after the golf on sunday on ABC radio during the cricket break. They said they would have spoken to amy yang had she been abel to speak english.

And she's been here for 14mnths!!

BrisVegas
7th February 2006, 07:51 AM
She came out here to play golf, thats it. Dont think there is a visa for that so she goes to school. Father is here with her, mother stays home in Korea.

The other day I was with one of the guys who runs the Glades. he was setting up one of the luxury units, fully furnished with everything for some Jap bloke to live in while his son goes to Bond Uni here. forgot what the weekly rent is but I remember thinking i wish i earned that much a week.

There has gotta be hundreds of cases like this on the GC (and brookwater)

Absolutely right blakey. We got asked last week if we'd take on 2 Korean kids (brother & sister) who are coming out here to go to English school and hone their golf games at Brookwater. 3-4 year stint until the older one was ready to go on the tour. Not that unusual you say....

They were 11 & 14 years old.... :?

BrisVegas
7th February 2006, 07:57 AM
My fav to watch was Tiffany Joh from the USA - animated, emotional on the golf course - always smiling - it made it enjoyable to watch the stuff between golf shots.

Tiffany seemed like a fun kid. Pre-round she was intereviewed on the range and she went through her bag. Her custom grind Vokey wedges all had names stamped on them, eg. "thumper" and she had some sweet looking 690MB blades... She'd be a sponsor's dream, with that vibrant personality.

P.S. I was amazed to see some of the tiny :) young girls averaging 250-265m off the tee. That's efficiency!!

markTHEblake
7th February 2006, 07:01 PM
In my lifetime I never saw too many teenage girls playing golf. I guess it just wasnt an interesting sport enough for them. Like what teenage girl would wanna spend the majority of their weekend with fat old drunk bastards.

Girls are practically fully grown by 15 yo, so its no real surprise with the asian golf explosion that we are beginning to see young girls dominate, as we have already seen in tennis for many years.

Grunt
8th February 2006, 01:56 PM
Mandy
I picked up on the language problem right away but didn't know whether I was being a negative bastard again.
I thought after a year in an aussie school I thought she should have been able to string more than 3 words together.

I agree G69, make a bit of a mockery of the school system if they are letting her be enrolled only to play golf and not actually learn anything other than Golf.

amanda
8th February 2006, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry but Tiffany got on my nerves. At times I thought the bubbly stuff was a little forced and annoying the hell out of me. Mind you she'll get bucketloads from a sponsor very soon.
Remind me to be on my best behaviour when we play golf :)

I met 3 Koreans at our club the other day - all are out here for 3 months to get their handicaps down to 3 as part of some sort of golf development program. They are members at New Brighton, Cabramatta & Liverpool - play lots of comp golf and must always play with other members - not in a group of 3 on their own (supposedly to develop their english skills & learn ettiquette). All nice kids - we know that so few make it big - what will happen with all of these poor kids if they don't make it? It will be like China and Russia's sports programs all over again (and now).

Jono
8th February 2006, 04:25 PM
All nice kids - we know that so few make it big - what will happen with all of these poor kids if they don't make it? It will be like China and Russia's sports programs all over again (and now).

I don't quite follow. Are you comparing their golf development program to the old communist sports programs? Seems a bit harsh?

amanda
8th February 2006, 04:45 PM
In outcome only. There are thousands of athletes in China that - while extremely talented, in a population of so many - are not at the top of their sport. They've been trained only for their chosen sport - no education or university, no work experience - only that sport. So when they're not picked to represent - they end up disillusioned, angry at the govt and fuelling the vicious cycle by taking the only job available - coaching.

I could see this as a possibility in countries where parents see sport as their ticket out of poverty. For all of these teens we see coming to Australia to hone their games - how many will succeed? For the rest, who have no trade or education - what do they do? If they don't succeed - does that make them angry and damaged for life?

Yes - it's a harsh comparison - but may be a reality.

My coach was recently at a JNJGF tournament - for every 10 kids out there - at least 7 were throwing clubs, having temper tantrums, being yelled at by the parents - surely that's not the best for the future of golf.

Jono
8th February 2006, 05:46 PM
In outcome only. There are thousands of athletes in China that - while extremely talented, in a population of so many - are not at the top of their sport. They've been trained only for their chosen sport - no education or university, no work experience - only that sport. So when they're not picked to represent - they end up disillusioned, angry at the govt and fuelling the vicious cycle by taking the only job available - coaching.

I could see this as a possibility in countries where parents see sport as their ticket out of poverty. For all of these teens we see coming to Australia to hone their games - how many will succeed? For the rest, who have no trade or education - what do they do? If they don't succeed - does that make them angry and damaged for life?

Yes - it's a harsh comparison - but may be a reality.

My coach was recently at a JNJGF tournament - for every 10 kids out there - at least 7 were throwing clubs, having temper tantrums, being yelled at by the parents - surely that's not the best for the future of golf.

Most parents of these Korean girls are pretty well off. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford the costs involved. It's true that Korean (and other asian) parents tend to be a bit pushy, but that's not peculiar to golf. I guess it's a result of living in such a competitive society. I hope they are not encouraging their children to quit school early just to focus on golf. Not so much because they need something to fall back on, but because there's more to life than golf.

shazza_rs
8th February 2006, 05:59 PM
well her parents may be well off but the govt are giving Yang a scholarship for the next two years (? i think)

Trung
8th February 2006, 09:55 PM
Amanda... nothing wrong with what the Korean parents are doing. I wish my dad would do the same to me when I was younger.. :smt002

You said it to me many times before, "I want to buy a house next to a golf course so I can start a family and have my kids be proshop junkies." What are you doing that is so different to the Korean parents? :smt002

If you want prove, just take a look at Tiger Woods, he is No. 1 in the world and started golf way before anyone of these kids.

I for one would rather kids hitting golf balls then hanging around Cabramatta or Macquarie Field.

Grunt
9th February 2006, 05:21 AM
I reckon parents should support kids in what they do not push them into something that the parent wants them to do. We all joke about our kids becoming golfers or tennis players to supports us but I know all I want Tayla to do is become an indepenpent person that knows right from wrong.

I guess I was extremely lucky growing up that my parents supported whatever sport I was interested in esspecially my Dad.
It started off with Rugby League, Dad ended up supporting me in the background he was always there but the reason he was there was he was coaching the guys a year younger than me so as not to have any worry that he was favouring his son.

When I stopped playing League and got involved in sailing, Dad used his small inheritance from his Dad dieing to get me my first sailboat, a flying 11. He then got involved in the admin/operations of the Sailing Club over the years working his way up from driving the rescue boats to become Commodore (bit like club Captain in Golf). He again maintained distance so as not to get accused of outside assistance to me, but was there when I needed help with anything.

I don't know if I could have handled growing up and having to play a sport or do something that my parents were pushing hard. Being a pretty strong willed person I reckon I may have rebelled and may have got myself into trouble. Sorry if this post is completely off topic.

amanda
9th February 2006, 06:54 AM
Trung - that may be ok for you - it seems like you love the game. We want our kids to love the game. But what about those kids that don't love the game? It has never been our goal to train up a Tiger Woods or Paula Creamer. "Pro shop brats" in my mind is about kids who love golf - they love playing, love watching, love talking about golf.

We are more than happy to support whatever dreams they have - that might be in a trade, as an artist, as a sportsperson. And by chance - if one of our sons or daughters decides that golf is not for them - I'll happily drive to ballet lessons, soccer - whatever.

For the young people at our club - they are trying so hard because this is what their parents want. One loves golf - but has dreams of doing commerce or law at uni - but doesn't want to let the parents down.

It's my experience from having many friends and international students with traditional asian parents that they are desperate to achieve what their parents desire (some sort of highly regarded university degree or sporting pedigree) - regardless of what their dreams and aspirations are, regardless of whether it makes them happy. It's a shame that some those students may never become their own people - and move out of the vicarious dreams of parents.

BrisVegas
9th February 2006, 07:52 AM
My mum encouraged me to play tennis when I was a kid, as she was the local tennis champ and ran the association. Having me involved in tennis was probaby a great way to keep an eye on me. Thankfully my parents were never pushy about tennis though. They would take me to tournaments and fixtures etc., but only if I asked them. I'm glad they took a fairly "hands-off" approach with me.

It'd be great if Meghan loves golf, but if she doesn't, I'll get over it. As long as she's happy and healthy, that's all that matters.

billybaub
10th February 2006, 07:28 PM
I agree G69, make a bit of a mockery of the school system if they are letting her be enrolled only to play golf and not actually learn anything other than Golf.

the school system is there to get them on tour
i play with a guy that goes to the school
golf is one of their subjects

its only the really great players that get into the program anyway
so if they make it on tour and pick up a few bits of english along the way, the system has achieved its goal

there is similar systems set up for soccer and rugby at cav road in brisbane.
depends on how much you want to sacrifice to make it i guess

hills international does exactly the same
and when they are paying fees often in excess of 50 000
who cares if they speak english or not...the shareholders certainly dont

amanda
11th February 2006, 08:23 AM
That raises that other beef I have.
Don't come to this country to live unless you learn the frikkin language.
here here. I chaired a meeting of unit owners at my building last night - someone demanded that in future we hire a professional interpreter - on the inside I was screaming "just learn the national language!"

billybaub
11th February 2006, 12:18 PM
yeah personally i think they should learn the language when they move over here

but if i was a shareholder in a golf private school
i really wouldnt care
aslong as the numbers and up and my investment is doing well