PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Clubs & Gear

Grunt
5th February 2006, 02:22 PM
Hello OzGolfers

I was bored this morning and gave my clubs a good clean, might have been a little excessive. I started off giving them a good scrub, then a clean with Simple Green Golf Cleaning Solution. After that I gave the woods & Hybrids a polish with a Cut & polish car polish. To finish the woods off I gave then a coating of Meguiars Quick detailing solution. The woods are now nice and shiny for my Ozgolf return on Tuesday @ Wallacia with Jim.
Next on the list was to give both pairs of shoes a good clean, they got a good scrub with the Simple Green then a coating of Dubbin to treat them.
The irons got a polish with Brasso next. They have come up a treat. I even scotchgarded the bag.

Guess I need to find something else to do huh?

Jarro
5th February 2006, 03:57 PM
i'll send mine down for you to do Grant .. they need a bit of TLC ;)

AndyP
5th February 2006, 04:51 PM
I clean my clubs, but I'm not THAT anal about it. You know they are going to get dirty again, right?

Grunt
5th February 2006, 04:59 PM
I clean my clubs, but I'm not THAT anal about it. You know they are going to get dirty again, right?
Hey easy I was just cleaning them off after a few months of neglect.

Matt 3 Jab
5th February 2006, 05:04 PM
clean clubs make you play better, well so i rekon anyway, i had a mate who's lofts had changed due to dirt build up :mrgreen:

McMw
5th February 2006, 10:10 PM
I've got couple of fine scratches on the crown of the driver - what's the recommended course of action??? don't need to bring it back to new condition, but close enuff is good enuff...

markTHEblake
5th February 2006, 11:09 PM
You have stuffed up your clubs nowGrunt, its guaranteed clean clubs dont work. Its going to take you at least 3 rounds to get em back to normal again.

Grunt
6th February 2006, 07:40 AM
I've got couple of fine scratches on the crown of the driver - what's the recommended course of action??? don't need to bring it back to new condition, but close enuff is good enuff...

You could use a course polish like brasso then go up to a decent fine polish, it should polish it straight out.

andylo
6th February 2006, 08:45 AM
You could use a course polish like brasso then go up to a decent fine polish, it should polish it straight out.

Does it work on cabon/graphite top club? And is it possible to take a photo of those 2 liquids you use on the woods?

Grunt
6th February 2006, 08:51 AM
Andy, no matter what the contruction of the club it should at least have a coating of either a clear paint or epoxy coating. Both of these would handle a light polish. Even heavy scatches could be removed with wet n dry sandpaper of really fine grade 1200 or higher

connico
6th February 2006, 10:43 AM
cleaning, i just pop the clubs in a bucket of soapy water after each round, keeps them pretty clean, and if they need polishing, silverso for the irons and cut and polish for the driver and woods lol :)

Courty
6th February 2006, 11:26 AM
I have got lanolin oil for my shafts (DGs300) After a wipe down, spray it on a cloth and wipe it on. Provides a protective coating so any litlle chips don't become rust spots.

BrisVegas
6th February 2006, 01:28 PM
I've started wiping down all my steel shafts in a little canola oil to help protect them when the conditions are wet. Not quite sure what to clean the new wedges with, i don't wanna scratch them with anything too abrasive. I've always just use a bucket of soapy water and a green scourer pad....

goughy
7th February 2006, 06:32 AM
Scrubbing brush and bucket of water with some dishwashing detergent in it. All I've ever used, except maybe just chucking them under the tap and giving them a wipe off.

For the grips I use a bucket of soapy water - just sunlight soap. makes them nice and tacky.

Jarro
7th February 2006, 08:07 AM
how did you manage to find out about the lanolin oil tip Courty ??

never heard of that one before ... might have to give it a try.

Courty
7th February 2006, 09:03 AM
how did you manage to find out about the lanolin oil tip Courty ??

never heard of that one before ... might have to give it a try.

A guy I play with occasionally told me. He used to work for Blackwoods & has all the good oil (pun intended) ;).

Jarro
7th February 2006, 09:05 AM
wonder if it would be of any benefit to try and squirt some down into the shaft :smt017

macleod
13th February 2006, 10:15 PM
Hello OzGolfers

I was bored this morning and gave my clubs a good clean, might have been a little excessive.
Guess I need to find something else to do huh?

great work...i think u might have a potential home business there for a few months :D

Grunt's Club-a-Go-Go
I'll clean your clubs faster than i can clean your clock...
(non-payers and rude customer will have their clocks cleaned in advance)

AndyP
4th February 2007, 07:04 PM
Would a car chrome and metal polish do anything for a driver face? For that matter, would it be good for the rest of the clubs as well?

Has anyone here tried it?

Jarro
4th February 2007, 07:08 PM
scrunched up alfoil works pretty well on small scratches on the drivers face.

goughy
4th February 2007, 07:11 PM
Just give them a scrub and wipe off. They're clubs, they hit things. They're gonna get marked.

3oneday
4th February 2007, 07:16 PM
scrunched up alfoil works pretty well on small scratches on the drivers face.so you keep saying, but I'll be stuffed if it does anything than make your hands go silver :lol:

I'll have to post pics of my loverly 6 iron from yesty at Glenmore, about 6 stone scratches from one shot !!! :p

Courty
4th February 2007, 07:24 PM
I've found boiling hot water to be the best club cleanser.

Eag's
4th February 2007, 07:24 PM
Would a car chrome and metal polish do anything for a driver face? For that matter, would it be good for the rest of the clubs as well?

Has anyone here tried it?

Mate, the only way you will get off any scratches of the face of clubs
is by getting them buffed out at a pro shop or golf shop somewhere.

I had the face of the 300Tour buffed up by the guys at Virginia and the club came up great.
Mind you, it would depend on how deep the scratches go?

AndyP
4th February 2007, 07:34 PM
They are not deep scratches or anything, just general face marks.

pt73
6th February 2007, 03:49 PM
I use Meguiars ScratchX which works well on fine scratches and finish it off with the coloured car wax.

PT

Dazza
31st March 2008, 08:42 PM
I did a quick before and after polish on a mates cheapo putter.

Before-
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/bns_warrior_nt/DSC01706.jpg

After-
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/bns_warrior_nt/DSC01704.jpg

Photos really doesn't do it justice! I was using another cleaner, but am now converted.

I used NXT Generation All Metal Polysh from Meguiars.
http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b9/2b/51d9_1_b.JPG
Available from most good auto stores.

Cheers

Darran

Rusty
2nd March 2009, 12:10 AM
noticed some small rust spots on the 1yr old iron shafts! used some Meguiars normal car paint polish before the hit this weekend. didn't seem to take all the spots off, especially on some slightly older DG wedge shafts. but got some of the Megquiar's All Metal Polysh to apply as well. might even go the full hog with a bit of lanolin just for good measure.

virge666
2nd March 2009, 09:09 AM
Anyone done the "Sonic Clean" thing...

virge666
2nd March 2009, 09:09 AM
Just give them a scrub and wipe off. They're clubs, they hit things. They're gonna get marked.

+1.

and don't buy forged clubs :)

TheTrueReview
2nd March 2009, 09:51 AM
I've found boiling hot water to be the best club cleanser.

Be careful where you pour it because it can cause the ferrule to expand away from the hosel, so you end up with a 2 or 3 ml gap there. It happened to me on a couple of clubs.

v205
2nd March 2009, 10:07 AM
Function over form. I just focus on the face and grip. Filled up grooves wears a lot quicker as well as lose too much spin. Old Toothbrush does the job for me.