PDA

View Full Version : WA golf course to play this week

kiwitown
16th February 2014, 06:35 PM
H
I Guys first trip to Perth coming up on Tues-Thurs 18th-20th, will be staying at the vines can you suggest somewhere to play on Tuesday and Thursday in a comp If possible..

Thanks

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 07:00 PM
Vines is fairly isolated from the other courses, if you don't have any means of transport, you're screwed as it will cost a bomb by taxi. They do have two 18h lines so you could do that. Nearest course up north worth visiting would be Joondalup but pricey at $110 per 18h with carts. The quality courses are down south in Mandurah, plenty to choose from there eg The Cut, Port Kennedy, Meadow Springs, Secret Harbour but you need a car and it takes over an hour from Vines.

kiwitown
16th February 2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks Wizard, I will have a car and I have to drop my wife of at Mandurah on Tuesday so i'm keen to get a round in down there. Do any of the above courses have an open comp? not to fussed about what it costs me at this stage, thanks

Ashes
16th February 2014, 07:26 PM
PGN runs a comp at The Vines you might be able to get on if you don't find anything else. http://www.perthgolfnetwork.com.au

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 07:39 PM
Nice one kiwi.. Go check out any of those courses in Mandurah and Joondalup.. Not sure about comps unfortunately so might need to do some googling but at least you've got a good starting point..

kiwitown
16th February 2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks Ashes, I will have a look now.

kiwitown
16th February 2014, 07:45 PM
Nice one kiwi.. Go check out any of those courses in Mandurah and Joondalup.. Not sure about comps unfortunately so might need to do some googling but at least you've got a good starting point..

I'm thinking the cut or Kennedy Bay $50 midweek at Kennedy Bay seems a good price. hanks for your help its really appreciated.

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 07:59 PM
No worries, good luck and practice your bunker shots if you are going to PK. A lot. And bring a dozen balls if you are going to the Cut for the first time. You'll understand why later :)

simmsy
16th February 2014, 08:00 PM
Comp at kb is wed
Mandurah CC run comp thur

Ashes
16th February 2014, 08:02 PM
I'm thinking the cut or Kennedy Bay $50 midweek at Kennedy Bay seems a good price. hanks for your help its really appreciated.

Mandurah Country Club is worth checking out too, probably only $20-30 and nice track. Not sure what days they have comps mid week tho.

simmsy
16th February 2014, 08:14 PM
See above ashes.
They may run one tue but I know thur is their main mid week comp

Ashes
16th February 2014, 08:18 PM
See above ashes.
They may run one tue but I know thur is their main mid week comp

Your post wasn't there when I started my post. I'm not mental.

simmsy
16th February 2014, 08:24 PM
I'm not saying you are.
Perhaps you just think people have that perception of u.
:)

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 08:30 PM
I didn't like Mandurah CC that much.. Thought it was a fairly ordinary course, not much features, just really long. But to each their own, some guys here rate it quite highly.

simmsy
16th February 2014, 08:53 PM
Love the course.
One of the best in Perth extended area IMO.
Great greens, strong par5's, a couple of quirky holes for fun. Conditioning is usually excellent.
At 6100 off the tips and couch it's hardly a long course either.

kiwitown
16th February 2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks Simmsy, I may try and get Mandurah in if I can get off early enough.

WIZARD: I have become really good at bunker play as I spend a lot of time in them.
I'm looking forward to a couple of days of fun golf.

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 10:23 PM
Love the course. One of the best in Perth extended area IMO. Great greens, strong par5's, a couple of quirky holes for fun. Conditioning is usually excellent.At 6100 off the tips and couch it's hardly a long course either. Maybe not for you simmsy, but their Par 5's are 470m, 478m, 490m and 488m. Even with a 250m drive, you're still 220m-240m to reaching the green and when I played, it was headwind for most of the Par 5's and the long Par 3 which made them play 20-30m even longer.

Shortylook
16th February 2014, 10:39 PM
The cut on Tuesday is $100 for 2 people 18 holes and a cart. I'm playing there tomoz for the same. Very nice picturesque course.

Johnny Canuck
16th February 2014, 10:40 PM
I didn't like Mandurah CC that much.. Thought it was a fairly ordinary course, not much features, just really long. But to each their own, some guys here rate it quite highly.

Mandurah is arguably the best Parklands course in the greater Perth area. A fantastic track.

If you want to stay closer to the Vines, Hartfield has a Thursday comp. It is a nice track. Not on Mandurah's level, but still a fun, tight track.

Kennedy Bay has the classic on next weekend, so it should be in good nick. Wed comp is usually off the whites, which is shit. Play it from at least the blues.

idgolfguy
16th February 2014, 10:43 PM
I can get you on the PGN at the Vines on Tuesday but have to be around morning. PM me your mobile.

... reread your post too bad about Tuesday.

simmsy
16th February 2014, 10:52 PM
Maybe not for you simmsy, but their Par 5's are 470m, 478m, 490m and 488m. Even with a 250m drive, you're still 220m-240m to reaching the green and when I played, it was headwind for most of the Par 5's and the long Par 3 which made them play 20-30m even longer.

Ummmm it's a par5.
If a 220m approach intimidates you then layup. It is a par 5.
On for 3, 2 putt. Walk away happy.

And a 470m par5 is in no way a long hole and I'm a short hitter. Ask anyone here.

Shadesy
16th February 2014, 10:54 PM
Maybe not for you simmsy, but their Par 5's are 470m, 478m, 490m and 488m. Even with a 250m drive, you're still 220m-240m to reaching the green and when I played, it was headwind for most of the Par 5's and the long Par 3 which made them play 20-30m even longer.

Did I just read this...

kiwitown
16th February 2014, 10:58 PM
I can get you on the PGN at the Vines on Tuesday but have to be around morning. PM me your mobile.

... reread your post too bad about Tuesday.

Thanks for the offer Idol but I don't get in till around 9am Tuesday morning, I'm also awaiting an email from the "Members" ( what ever that means) at the vines to get a hit in their Wed comp.

idgolfguy
16th February 2014, 11:01 PM
You're welcome to mention me as an acquaintance to John M, the club manager.

simmsy
16th February 2014, 11:03 PM

you better not go and play Kwinana then - 505 & 513m par 5's on Kike!
MGGC - 500&487
Gosnells - 497, 508&505

what would you consider a "nice" length Par5 and what course has a set of "nice" length par5's?

simmsy
16th February 2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks Wizard, I will have a car and I have to drop my wife of at Mandurah on Tuesday so i'm keen to get a round in down there. Do any of the above courses have an open comp? not to fussed about what it costs me at this stage, thanks

also worth calling Meadow Springs maybe or even Pinjarra perhaps, nice country track with usually excellent greens but not sure of their comp days.

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 11:11 PM
Did I just read this...Mmmm, in hindsight maybe not the correct way to put it as other par 5's are around that length but don't feel as long maybe because they play down wind or down hill. Like I said, it was playing about 20-30m longer with the headwind on the day so it gave me the impression of them bring much longer.

simmsy
16th February 2014, 11:18 PM
Where do you play most of your golf WOO?

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 11:26 PM
Where do you play most of your golf WOO?Wembley mostly (their Par 5's are short like 420m and 440m on the Old Course for eg), Glen Iris, Rosehill, Collier Park..

simmsy
16th February 2014, 11:28 PM
Yep. Gotch ya.

wizard_of_oz
16th February 2014, 11:32 PM

Yossarian
17th February 2014, 12:26 PM
So you like par 4's that say par 5.

wizard_of_oz
17th February 2014, 12:40 PM
So you like par 4's that say par 5.I sure do, which Par 4 do you play that is 440m long Yoss?

Yossarian
17th February 2014, 12:46 PM
Not sure but I have played a fair few close to 420. 440 is an exceptionally short par 5. Which is fine for a public course and is what it is.

simmsy
17th February 2014, 12:58 PM
Yep play plenty of Par4's 410+

rubin
17th February 2014, 02:39 PM
Did I just read this...

I thought it funny as well.

Mmmm, in hindsight maybe not the correct way to put it as other par 5's are around that length but don't feel as long maybe because they play down wind or down hill. Like I said, it was playing about 20-30m longer with the headwind on the day so it gave me the impression of them bring much longer.

Wembley mostly (their Par 5's are short like 420m and 440m on the Old Course for eg), Glen Iris, Rosehill, Collier Park..

So you like par 4's that say par 5.

I sure do, which Par 4 do you play that is 440m long Yoss?

Don't take offence to it WOO, but you have named public courses in WA that are not renowned for their length, and are, in fact all quite short. As an example, I wasn't aware until recently that the 1st on Tuart was a par 5, i always thought it was a longish par 4.

Once you get away from public courses - 400m ish par 4's become the norm, rather than the exception, and par5's under around 470m are few and far between. Most are pushing 500m these days, and thats off member tees (add 20m for the tips).

Yossarian
17th February 2014, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't say 400m par 4s are the norm.

Bruce Dickinson
17th February 2014, 02:47 PM
here's the par 5's at Joondalup from the blues, only one over 470 metres yet they still present a challenge.....

Q4- 455 L4 - 458 D5 - 436
Q7 - 447 L9 - 467 D9 - 487

Pieface
17th February 2014, 02:50 PM
They are when you hit it 50m sideways!

wizard_of_oz
17th February 2014, 02:58 PM
No offence taken at all rubin..you can't really fault a goldfish for thinking it's bowl is an ocean when that's what it's accustomed to, I wouldn't have thought.. :)

Slothman
17th February 2014, 03:20 PM
They are when you hit it 50m sideways!

Damn it...have to clean the coffee of my monitor now.

No wonder I have only ever reached one Par 5 at Albany in 2 only once....I am adding 50+ meters to that 500m+ distance they quote....it all becomes clearer...

kiwitown
17th February 2014, 07:08 PM
Ok thanks for everyone's suggestions and help, I'm booked to play in the members. Comp on Wednesday at the vines. Tomorrow I will try and play Kennedy bay.

rubin
17th February 2014, 07:35 PM
They are when you can't even hit it 50m !

FTFY.

I'm still surprised that with your potential leverage you can't get some distance on the ball PF.

Pieface
17th February 2014, 07:53 PM
FTFY.

I'm still surprised that with your potential leverage you can't get some distance on the ball PF.

Rubes, I barely remember which end of the club to hold on to. Results would probably be pretty similar if I got that wrong anyway :lol:

kiwitown
17th February 2014, 09:56 PM
You're welcome to mention me as an acquaintance to John M, the club manager.

Thanks Idol

Mububban
25th February 2014, 03:34 PM
Played my first 18 at Carramar on the weekend and loved the course. Fairways were looking good and the greens are interesting too. Will definitely be heading back there again.

BUSHY
25th February 2014, 09:13 PM
Played my first 18 at Carramar on the weekend and loved the course. Fairways were looking good and the greens are interesting too. Will definitely be heading back there again.

Is it still council run? I played here as a kid.

Pieface
26th February 2014, 12:44 AM

Told you yonks ago it was worth a look :)

Mububban
26th February 2014, 01:49 PM
****, wrong "wa golf course" thread :(

But yeah, loved the course Pieface, looking forward to the next round there. No idea if it's council run sorry bushy. But whoever's running it, is keeping it in good nick.

BUSHY
26th February 2014, 02:12 PM
It's always been pretty good for a public course. The layout is pretty good too. Although I haven't played there in maybe 10 years.

Pieface
26th February 2014, 05:32 PM
It's still council run Bushy. I think they got someone from the vines a couple of years back as super and the conditioning etc took a big leap forwards.

The bush is all tramped down a bit more than last time you played so it's dropped from a 95% chance of a lost ball if you hit it wayward into about 75% chance.

Hole 1 and 4 are a bit weak but the rest of the course is good fun. 13 is one of those ones WOO wouldn't like off the blues!

simmsy
26th February 2014, 06:32 PM
what? a 405m par 5?

BUSHY
26th February 2014, 07:46 PM
It's still council run Bushy. I think they got someone from the vines a couple of years back as super and the conditioning etc took a big leap forwards.

The bush is all tramped down a bit more than last time you played so it's dropped from a 95% chance of a lost ball if you hit it wayward into about 75% chance.

Hole 1 and 4 are a bit weak but the rest of the course is good fun. 13 is one of those ones WOO wouldn't like off the blues!

That's awesome. Good to hear it's doing well. I've got some good memories playing there.

Pieface
26th February 2014, 11:20 PM
what? a 405m par 5?

Nuffie
12th March 2014, 10:37 AM
Carramar is a great course if you want to try step up the game and get ready to play a private track. It's length and degree of difficulty place it closely on par to a course like Wanneroo or Hartfield.

Slothman
17th March 2014, 11:51 AM
According to a group of Lake Karrinyup members who played in the 2 Man Ambrose on the weekend.

Albany is just plain Amazing at the moment :)

The wind is picking up as Winter approaches....I watched one of my 6 irons travel 117 meters into the breeze and land next to the pin.....117 meters....its only going to get stronger....*sigh*.

Johnny Canuck
17th March 2014, 12:15 PM
Carramar is a great course if you want to try step up the game and get ready to play a private track. It's length and degree of difficulty place it closely on par to a course like Wanneroo or Hartfield.

How about no on the difficulty scale.

Yossarian
17th March 2014, 07:31 PM
Like Magenta Shores.

Nuffie
30th March 2014, 10:30 PM
How about no on the difficulty scale. It has to be the most challenging public course in Perth that I've played, counting courses that don't have a private club based there.It may not have as many bunkers as a private course, but some holes require some thinking and there are a few longish par 4s.

Johnny Canuck
30th March 2014, 10:32 PM
It has to be the most challenging public course in Perth that I've played, counting courses that don't have a private club based there.It may not have as many bunkers as a private course, but some holes require some thinking and there are a few longish par 4s.

I think Secret Harbour pips it.

Nuffie
30th March 2014, 11:07 PM
I think Secret Harbour pips it. Would have to agree with you if we count SH as a Perth metro course. It has elements of KB to it. Weather plays a part on most days. It has some longish holes and thinking ones too.Carramar on the other hand is a bit more like wanneroo. Tight in spots and penal if you find the bushlined parts. It gets tricky coming out of the thick rough they let grow around the edges of some fairways.

Johnny Canuck
30th March 2014, 11:09 PM
Would have to agree with you if we count SH as a Perth metro course. It has elements of KB to it. Weather plays a part on most days. It has some longish holes and thinking ones too.Carramar on the other hand is a bit more like wanneroo. Tight in spots and penal if you find the bushlined parts. It gets tricky coming out of the thick rough they let grow around the edges of some fairways.

If you count Carramar as Perth metro, Secrets should be there too.

It's a nice track. Played it once and quite enjoyed it.

Nuffie
30th March 2014, 11:13 PM
Like Magenta Shores.Haha, not sure who became more obsessed, TourFit with Carnoustie or me with that place.

Nuffie
30th March 2014, 11:19 PM
Btw, Vines Lakes is being cored tomorrow, followed by Ellenbrook late next month.

simmsy
30th March 2014, 11:30 PM
nice.

KB & SH are country tracks.

Golfnut
30th March 2014, 11:32 PM
The Vines is, to me.

Nuffie
31st March 2014, 12:48 AM
The Vines is, to me.Feels like it too. Minimal mobile phone use. Single carriage ways. Kangaroos and ducks breeding like rabbits.

Mububban
31st March 2014, 11:05 AM
Feels like it too. Minimal mobile phone use. Single carriage ways. Kangaroos and ducks breeding like rabbits.

Copped a Maverick-style low flyby by a flock of ducks on the tee of one of the par 3s (#8?). Serenaded by the magpies on the green at 14. Lots of roos around too. Always nice playing golf in surroundings like that :)

Nuffie
31st March 2014, 08:38 PM
Copped a Maverick-style low flyby by a flock of ducks on the tee of one of the par 3s (#8?). Serenaded by the magpies on the green at 14. Lots of roos around too. Always nice playing golf in surroundings like that :)It appears the pre-coring fertiliser application after sat comp triggered a mass influx of wildlife and feeding frenzy.