PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Dual Pocket Cavity irons - thoughts

benno_r
12th February 2014, 11:54 AM
Looking to upgrade the stable with a set of forged irons. These will be a backup set for my G25's, but my ball striking is improving so I want to start easing into my "next set".

I haven't hit a lot of forged irons (JPX 825 pro, Amp forged and Wilson M3), but of all the forged GI type irons around, I am interested in the Bridgestone DPC.

Handicap is 15, ballstriking is decent for my cap, my chipping/pitching is my main killer. Ballflight is generally mid, and with new swing coaching settling in, mainly straight to baby draw. Bad move is lifting out of the shot for a baby fade.

Any feedback on these irons, or any other suggestions for stepping into the forged iron field?

Cheers,
Ben

golf2013
12th February 2014, 12:01 PM
714 ap2s are very easy to hit.

mrbluu
12th February 2014, 12:19 PM
Looking to upgrade the stable with a set of forged irons. These will be a backup set for my G25's, but my ball striking is improving so I want to start easing into my "next set".

I haven't hit a lot of forged irons (JPX 825 pro, Amp forged and Wilson M3), but of all the forged GI type irons around, I am interested in the Bridgestone DPC.

Handicap is 15, ballstriking is decent for my cap, my chipping/pitching is my main killer. Ballflight is generally mid, and with new swing coaching settling in, mainly straight to baby draw. Bad move is lifting out of the shot for a baby fade.

Any feedback on these irons, or any other suggestions for stepping into the forged iron field?

Cheers,
Ben

I would say get new wedges!!!

backintheswing
12th February 2014, 12:24 PM
I had the J36 ( 2 sets, blades & CB/PC ) and the J38 DPC and found them dead off the face. That was also with Nippon's, Project X and S300.

Have had the Ping I20's for nearly 2 years and no complaints. Maybe I just found the forged irons were too soft feeling.

3oneday
12th February 2014, 01:04 PM
J36 pockets I thought were quite nice, plenty long, great feel and hard wearing.

spanner039
12th February 2014, 01:20 PM
Running the J40 DPC for over 12 months

Had the J36 they were dead in comparison to the J40's. The J40's are every bit as good as an iron ive ever owned, as forgiving as my old Ping Ansers, just softer and more lively.

8 - PW offer a lot of control, they rest are just plain easy to hit.

There was a raw set here not long ago

benno_r
12th February 2014, 02:01 PM
I would say get new wedges!!!

Got a lesson on the wedges last week - and they are coming good too. 4 whole rounds without a wedge shank or chilli dip.

I know forged irons aren't my answer to scoring or dropping handicap. I just want some!

davepuppies
12th February 2014, 02:02 PM
Ap2 for the win!

mrbluu
12th February 2014, 02:02 PM
Got a lesson on the wedges last week - and they are coming good too. 4 whole rounds without a wedge shank or chilli dip.

I know forged irons aren't my answer to scoring or dropping handicap. I just want some!

Good man and I can't agree with the last point.

AP2's are definitely worth a try!!

benno_r
12th February 2014, 02:03 PM
I had the J36 ( 2 sets, blades & CB/PC ) and the J38 DPC and found them dead off the face. That was also with Nippon's, Project X and S300.

Have had the Ping I20's for nearly 2 years and no complaints. Maybe I just found the forged irons were too soft feeling.

i20's are still the best irons I have ever owned, and would love a set of i25's. Just want to give the forged is buttah thing a try...

benno_r
12th February 2014, 02:07 PM
Good man and I can't agree with the last point.

AP2's are definitely worth a try!!

They are on the list too - if I could be arsed buying new it would be Wilson M3 all the way. Much difference in AP2's over the different models?

mrbluu
12th February 2014, 02:08 PM
They are on the list too - if I could be arsed buying new it would be Wilson M3 all the way. Much difference in AP2's over the different models?

No idea, I haven't tried the others. There some good deals floating around for AP2's.

Slothman
12th February 2014, 02:22 PM
Just a suggestion, if you can still get them.

I got the Mizuno MP-H4 as they are kind of a hybrid set. The low irons are more "solid", the mid irons are "part GI" and the long are more "hybrid".

They are a bit more expensive but DAMN they are nice to hit. I got them when around 16-18 with the goal of reducing my handicap to single figures (as low as I can get). I figure they will do me to well into single figures as they are a great blend.

I would seriously have a look at them.

But as others have mentioned....get the short game working first....

spanner039
12th February 2014, 02:37 PM
i got the best of both worlds H4 long irons and the J40 5 - PW, not to piss the mizuno fans, but the H4's are very "clicky" and don't feel anywhere as good as the J40's.

benno_r
12th February 2014, 02:38 PM
Yeah, focusing in fundamentals is great and all, but sometimes I just want new gear. Tried a H4 as a 4i replacement for a while. Good, but not great. Hit my mates MP-64's, and a demo JPX 825pro, didn't really get too excited by them either.

davepuppies
12th February 2014, 02:43 PM
I have owned every generation of AP2, except 714, and have hit them several times.

Honestly no difference between them in my mind other than looks.

golf2013
12th February 2014, 05:59 PM
I have owned every generation of AP2, except 714, and have hit them several times.

Honestly no difference between them in my mind other than looks.

I would agree its only looks with the 714s.

talbo
12th February 2014, 07:33 PM
714 ap2s are very easy to hit.

+1. Loving mine and they're a cinch to hit in comparison to the MP32s I was playing previously.

catch22
12th February 2014, 07:52 PM
Hey Ben,
Got 710 AP2's from on here and they seem very easy to hit

Dont think there was really any difference in our ball striking from the rounds we played together, so reckon you would love AP2's!
IMO they feel like you are going to hit a better shot than my old G15's just standing over them (maybe the offset - used to hook my G15's a lot)

benno_r
13th February 2014, 06:54 AM
Made a stupid best offer on eBay US that was accepted!!

Set of Cobra Amp Forged on the way to Ho-Borough!

timah!
13th February 2014, 07:20 AM
Sweeeeet! Good choice ;)