Wow, slow news day in FNQ?

rowey
11th February 2014, 04:44 PM
Wow, slow news day in FNQ?

Nah just bored

Matt 3 Jab
11th February 2014, 06:32 PM
I saw both in Drummond yesterday.

I'm not up with the newer clubs, but this reminded me of the hawkeye pro series VFT and the like around that time. I had one of those and smashed it.

No idea how it performs but it did look good. Shorter back to front than I assumed.

PeteyD
11th February 2014, 06:35 PM
At least one of these was being used at the Vic Champs.

Peppas
11th February 2014, 06:59 PM
At least one of these was being used at the Vic Champs.

That was Peter_rs... he was smashing it.

graham_w
11th February 2014, 07:38 PM
Shouldn't this be in the new equipment thread ?

Mine is on order ;)

Did Pete have the normal Bertha or the Alpha ?

Peppas
11th February 2014, 07:48 PM
Shouldn't this be in the new equipment thread ?

Mine is on order ;)

Did Pete have the normal Bertha or the Alpha ?

I dunno I didn't look too closely at it...

peter_rs
11th February 2014, 11:07 PM
Normal

oncewasagolfer
21st February 2014, 12:29 PM
I had a chance to hit the big bertha alpha and xhot2 pro at a callaway club fitting in Ballarat yesterday and was very impressed with both. The xhot2 pro was set to 8.5 and the alpha 9.5 both with the stock stiff shafts very easy to hit and great ball flight. I wasn't really that keen on the price $600 and $400 but sure they could be had for less online.

Hatchman
8th March 2014, 10:27 PM
After dropping Mrs Hatch off at the hospital late morning and staying around for 3 hours (as you do to get 1 demerit point) before little Miss Hatch started becoming a pain we ducked over to Drummonds so I could have a wack with the new Berthas and get a sleeve of free Callaway balls.

They were quiet at the time and had Bogle in the store as part of the promo. Was lucky or some may say unlucky enough to have Bogle do my test session in the nets. Only had a couple of hits with the Alpha (didn't like it that much) but had heaps of hits with the Bertha in both reg and stiff with a variety of settings as I'd mentioned to Bogle that I've never had a hit with drivers in the nets looking at numbers before. I also mentioned that I wasn't sure if I should really be using regs or stiff in the driver and went through the combos played in my SLDR and 910 D3.
Bogle was great in swapping back and forth with the stiff and reg Bertha on different settings. Was quite interesting as all the data had me right on the cusp of being reg or stiff but with the amount of balls I hit the reg was a little tighter with the dispersion. I found that quite interesting. I had a great time and Bogle was great interacting with my daughter while I hit a heap of balls.

All up it was a good day and worth while trip. I got my sleeve of free balls, some good data on swing speed I never previously knew and no dent in the wallet (didn't buy one) al thou I did like the feel as it was very solid and not a tinny tink sound. Would only consider if and when they get heaps cheaper.

hocko
8th March 2014, 10:46 PM
Tommyg and I took the demo alpha out yesterday shafted with a Fubuki X shaft.
Didn't like it......at all.
Felt dead and very heavy, no spin but also no carry.

JADO75
8th March 2014, 10:52 PM
For all the hype regarding the "new" Big Bertha I'm yet to hear anything good from anyone who has hit them. I think callaway got it right with the original Razr Fit.

hocko
8th March 2014, 10:54 PM
Agreed, the Razr is a killer. The Big Bertha is already dead.

Johnny Canuck
8th March 2014, 10:55 PM
Agreed, the Razr is a killer. The Big Bertha is already dead.

Be tough to top the fit.

Lucasto23
8th March 2014, 11:00 PM
I hit the alpha on Tuesday, and it felt solid, but had to tweak around with a ton of settings to get the best results.
As you say jado tons of hype but think there are better options out there for the current dollars

JADO75
8th March 2014, 11:05 PM
What's retail on the Alpha, $500ish?

Hatchman
8th March 2014, 11:10 PM
Didn't ask about the Alpha but the Bertha was $450 with a dozen pills thrown in. All other stuff I've seen says add $100 for the Alpha.

JADO75
8th March 2014, 11:19 PM
Had a mate drop $500 on a Ping I25 driver during the week as he was "smashing" it on a Drummonds monitor, got it on the course & can't hit the thing to save his life.

Johnny Canuck
8th March 2014, 11:33 PM
Had a mate drop $500 on a Ping I25 driver during the week as he was "smashing" it on a Drummonds monitor, got it on the course & can't hit the thing to save his life.

Never trust a monitor.

JADO75
8th March 2014, 11:36 PM
True dat!

Lucasto23
9th March 2014, 01:04 AM
Alpha are low $500 when you haggle, several place have them stickerd at $600

graham_w
9th March 2014, 07:27 PM
I've got one. Apart from the obvious feelings of now being on my 3rd in three weeks (the first had paint chips on arrival, the second looked the face was seperating from the head) and only having had the club in my hand for 24 hours for the first 3 weeks I owned it.

I actually like it. I have a 9° Big Bertha with Diamana S+ 62X in all neutral settings. It's staying in the bag.

The Bertha is more forgiving for me than the previous Callaway drivers. I did try the Alpha and was hitting both similar distances, but the Bertha won for forgiveness.
I think a lot of people trying the normal Bertha with the normal shaft are underwhelmed. I saw a review on youtube where the guy wasn't impressed at all. His backspin rates were well up so his distance rates were down.
As with all clubs, you need to use a shaft that is suited to you. I don't think the stock shaft in the Bertha is going to suit everyone. If the stock shaft was the only one available I wouldn't have bothered.

rqrox
9th March 2014, 07:56 PM
I've tested both the alpha and the BB along with the new Xhot2 ( non pro) on a couple of practice holes over a few separate occasions and my opinion of the BB is very high. For me the BB, I found it, a low spinning bomber and really very straight the price is the only down side. The Alpha felt dead and spun more and the ball flight was much lower although the distance was pretty good. The Xhot 2 with the standard Fubuki was as easy to hit as anything on offer out there without any wow factor.

When I can find a BB for the right price I will def give it a go.

rubin
9th March 2014, 09:29 PM
Be tough to top the fit.

At the summer cup, have a hot of my xhot pro. I used to think the same, then I hit this.

Johnny Canuck
10th March 2014, 12:15 AM
At the summer cup, have a hot of my xhot pro. I used to think the same, then I hit this.

I have hit the xhot and thought it felt real nice.

simmsy
10th March 2014, 12:43 AM
I tried the Xhot (noprohomo) and didn't love it. Certainly not as good as my RF

oncewasagolfer
10th March 2014, 07:43 AM
I would like to revisit the razr fit one day with a decent shaft. The stock stiff was a noodle for me and only lasted a couple of rounds.