PDA

View Full Version : Am I wasting my time/money buying premium balls ?

mike
2nd February 2006, 08:44 PM
I'm 5'6" and hit my driver and fairway woods pretty good. My iron play is half way between good and crap. I chip and putt pretty good and play to a handicap of 11.
I currently play Titelist SoLo's. Why ? Who knows. I just do.

Here's the problem. There's this little voice inside my head telling me I need Pro V's and Callaway Reds.

Do I ignore the voice or just fork out the $ for some decent balls?

Cheers

Mike

AndyP
2nd February 2006, 08:49 PM
How do you know those are the right balls for you?
Different balls suit different people, so maybe you need to do some sampling first.

Jarro
2nd February 2006, 09:08 PM
i'll give you a ProV1 at Northlakes mike, you can see how it goes (if you don't lose it on the first shot of the day that is)

BrisVegas
2nd February 2006, 09:11 PM
i'll give you a ProV1 at Northlakes mike, you can see how it goes (if you don't lose it on the first shot of the day that is)

Can I have one too Mark ??? I still haven't cracked open my sleeve of new ones yet... :mrgreen:

Ona
2nd February 2006, 09:14 PM
Mike, I'm sorry but your not tall enough for premium balls http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Jarro
2nd February 2006, 09:16 PM
Can I have one too Mark ??? I still haven't cracked open my sleeve of new ones yet... :mrgreen:

you gonna use 'em at NL ???

BrisVegas
2nd February 2006, 09:17 PM
you gonna use 'em at NL ???

use them???!!!! Are you kidding.... They might get dirty.... :cry:

Moe Norman
2nd February 2006, 09:18 PM
perhaps North Lakes isn't the ideal location to be trying a new ball.

Jarro
2nd February 2006, 09:20 PM
you're right Moe, Brookwater would be much more suitable :roll:

Hell , it's gonna get lost sooner or later ;)

AndyP
2nd February 2006, 09:28 PM
Is that allowed under OZgolf matchplay rules?

Moe Norman
2nd February 2006, 09:29 PM
at least brooky doesn't swallow balls that land in the centre of the fairway on the preferred line.

Jarro
2nd February 2006, 09:31 PM
at least brooky doesn't swallow balls that land in the centre of the fairway on the preferred line.

it did on the one fairway i hit :roll:

Moe Norman
2nd February 2006, 09:33 PM
the stretch 6-11 is one of the worst stretch of holes I've encountered anywhere . I'm not sure if I should blame marsh or not, as the routing is sound, but the execution and shaping is shocking.

Tiger couldn't take the preferred line on 6 with his wedge.

BrisVegas
2nd February 2006, 09:38 PM
it did on the one fairway i hit :roll:

which fairway did you hit ?? :smt002

Seriously though... Brookwater is one of the easiest championship courses you'll find off the tee... All the landing areas, save for #15, are laid out before you... what more could you want??

Moe Norman
2nd February 2006, 09:40 PM
the bailout area left of 5? :D

Jarro
2nd February 2006, 09:40 PM
which fairway did you hit ?? :smt002

the first i think

markTHEblake
2nd February 2006, 10:10 PM
The ProV1 is popular ball because it goes the longest for a ball that spins enough to suit a good players needs, as well as been extremely durable.

There are other balls out there that go further but spin less, or spin more but not as long. A lot of golfers are lookiing for one or the other in a ball.

Then of course you need to factor in cost and durability and then you find the perfect ball for you!

i have been using 2nd hand Prov1's for so long I dont remember what I used before that.

Grunt
3rd February 2006, 07:18 AM
Other balls you could use are just one level down from Pro V etc. I use either NXT Tour or Optima TS pro they seem to give me a good compromise for the cost too. Just a few ideas for you, I have also used the Precept U-tri Extra Spin & Extra Distance ball too.

Jarro
3rd February 2006, 07:38 AM
buy some cheaper used ProV1's off Ebay and give 'em a run

Grunt
3rd February 2006, 07:44 AM
Squizzy's Balls on ebay are pretty cheap.

mike
3rd February 2006, 10:33 PM
buy some cheaper used ProV1's off Ebay and give 'em a run

Bought a dozen used balls at Golf World today. 4 x Prov1*s, 4 x HX Reds and 4 x HX Blues. Look brand new.

I'll bash 'em around in the next few weeks and see if any of them suit me.

brad
4th February 2006, 08:55 AM
I'm 5'6" and hit my driver and fairway woods pretty good. My iron play is half way between good and crap. I chip and putt pretty good and play to a handicap of 11.
I currently play Titelist SoLo's. Why ? Who knows. I just do.

Here's the problem. There's this little voice inside my head telling me I need Pro V's and Callaway Reds.

Do I ignore the voice or just fork out the $ for some decent balls?

Cheers

Mike

Ignore the voice:-D

goughy
4th February 2006, 09:35 AM
I generally use utri tours - the poor man's pro v1. Utri extra spins could be one of the most under rated balls around. A great mid priced ball.

In truth, all my best golf pre forums was done using precept lady's (before the laddie came along) and I've probably had more lower scores with them than since. Made me consider going back to them. Especially since I have a habit of leaving chips short a lot.

Just bum a ball of of everybody and see what happens mike. What I wanna know is what's 5'6" got to do with using premium galf balls?????

gazgolf1
4th February 2006, 11:15 AM
Maxfli Revolution Tours are a pretty good ball, longish with about the same spin as a Pro v1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Four-packs-New-Maxfli-Revolution-Tour-Golf-Balls_W0QQitemZ7216344749QQcategoryZ18935QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Grunt
4th February 2006, 02:41 PM
Optima TS Tour are pretty good too. The new ones from PGF

Webster
4th February 2006, 10:56 PM
Yes..........

AndyP
4th February 2006, 11:17 PM
Yes..........Jack, as a low marker, what ball do you use?

Webster
5th February 2006, 12:10 AM
Precept U-Tri tour.

McMw
5th February 2006, 01:34 AM
use the ball you're comfortable with, golf-wise and budget-wise...
I don't have a problem using Maxfli D-Tec Spin, AD333 etc etc...

I use ProVs sometimes...esp when I find them!!! :D

Jarro
5th February 2006, 05:51 AM
U-tries are a great ball too .. almost as good as the ProV1's.

3oneday
5th February 2006, 08:14 AM
I use Cally HX56 and the occasional Pro V1. Worth the bucks irrespective of ability.... everyone could save a shot or two a round simply with the way they stop....

Pete