PDA

View Full Version : WA: Nully Cup 4 - The WAnkers Retention

rubin
4th February 2014, 06:16 PM
Thought it be best to start a seperate one for this as it will be on a vote basis.

I have been asked to look into getting us onto Lake Karrinyup for the Nully Cup, and have just gotten the quote back from them now. There are a few other courses we could try, but following Lefty's RM win, it seemed only fitting we try and get the best WA has to offer.

The issue:
It will cost us $215 a head, which will include either Lunch or Breakfast, depending on tee off times. Given the costs involved, it would have to be a group decision as to whether it is worth it.

We can have up to 50 players involved in this at the above price, so there will be no issue on numbers. If we only have 15 or so people interested, it may be a little cheaper, but not by much.

The course will be in absolute prime condition, and looking great and is only a month after the Perth International.

So, what say ye, WAnkers and yEasties.

If the majority say no, I'll continue my enquiries with other courses.

idgolfguy
4th February 2014, 06:27 PM
In - morning.

Johnny Canuck
4th February 2014, 07:10 PM
I would not pay $215 to play Lake K.

Ashes
4th February 2014, 07:15 PM
Not going to fit in my budget sorry Rubes.

rubin
4th February 2014, 07:20 PM

Not going to fit in my budget sorry Rubes.

I'm not all that keen at that price either.

I almost lost my coffee when he told me the cost. I thought he was joking, but apparently their prices have gone up, and they have been told quite bluntly, that they don't change for anyone.

I'll continue my search.....

Jackson
4th February 2014, 07:21 PM
Wouldn't fit in with my budget either mate, but thanks for working out the details.

Slothman
4th February 2014, 07:26 PM
Depends on the dates etc...but generally, having to travel to Perth, Accom etc etc...at that price it is a very expensive weekend and I doubt I could squeeze it :(

sms316
4th February 2014, 07:30 PM
Is Sun City a viable option?

Shadesy
4th February 2014, 07:45 PM
Is Sun City a viable option?

A very good option with the course improvements I reckon.

simmsy
4th February 2014, 07:54 PM
Out.
I enjoy LK.
But at about $80. No course in WA is worth $100 let alone $200+

Thank you for your efforts all the same Rubin. It is appreciated.

I vote we look for alternatives.

Johnny Canuck
4th February 2014, 08:01 PM
Good work all the same Rubes.

I have only played Sun City once, but I quite liked it.

idgolfguy
4th February 2014, 08:56 PM
Sun City would be a good option - the course is looking good with the changes making it an interesting and challenging layout.
The meals are very good. It's about 40 mins from the Vines.

If we were looking at 9 holes at Chequers for night golf with BBQ etc, we pass by the course on the way back.

Veefore
4th February 2014, 10:25 PM

Me either.

rubin
4th February 2014, 11:37 PM
Out.
I enjoy LK.
But at about $80. No course in WA is worth $100 let alone $200+

Thank you for your efforts all the same Rubin. It is appreciated.

I vote we look for alternatives.

No worries.

I'll continue the search.

I've already done a little, so may as well contribute with organising the Friday course.

Mububban
6th February 2014, 12:37 AM
Can't afford that sorry

idgolfguy
6th February 2014, 12:52 AM
I think LK is canned by unanimous vote.

G.K
6th February 2014, 01:24 AM
Pity we can't get on for a more reasonable price. Would like to have had a hit around LK. But alas, I too will be a bit broke after spending the coin on going to VIC Champs.

As mentioned by a few others, I'm liking the sound of Sun City. Only played it once and there was plenty of work going on at the time. But I reckon it was a nice layout and would be good if all the renos are finished and the condition is up to scratch.

hocko
6th February 2014, 01:42 AM
36 holes at LK in one day for free.
18 holes with a ham roll for $200+?
Not for me but good onya Rubbin for giving the "best" WA course a crack.
BTW, we WILL be defending the title!

Ned
6th February 2014, 06:00 AM
36 holes at LK in one day for free. 18 holes with a ham roll for $200+? Not for me but good onya Rubbin for giving the "best" WA course a crack. BTW, we WILL be defending the title!

Assuming you can make it on time.

Nuffie
15th April 2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks for looking into it Rubin. It's a shame they ask for those $$$ to play LK.Sun City would be good. I haven't seen it since the renos. But a group we see at the Vines each Sunday that are members reckon it's better than it was before.

westy
27th April 2014, 03:42 PM
LK is under pressure from members to reduce visitor numbers. There was a bit of a revolt about too many corporate days, especially on Fridays, impinging on member access so fees were upped to keep the peasants away. I don't think they really need the money.

simmsy
27th April 2014, 08:32 PM
certainly don't need the money.

hard to swallow the pricing being similar to what RM is though, and what RM put on for the "peasants" pre&post game was brilliant. typical WA WANK factor.

westy
28th April 2014, 10:03 AM
Joys of being private, you can do what you want

simmsy
28th April 2014, 12:23 PM
Absolutely. I hope it's not because they think they are comparable to the premium courses in Melbourne though.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 01:06 PM
Lake K is a premo Perth course. As there is not much competition in this field, they can do this and charge accordingly.

You cannot compare Lake K with any of the top courses over east.

Yossarian
28th April 2014, 01:07 PM
Lake K is a premo Perth course. As there is not much competition in this field, they can do this and charge accordingly.

You cannot compare Lake K with any of the top courses over east.

Yes you can.

simmsy
28th April 2014, 01:12 PM
Yes I can.

sms316
28th April 2014, 01:15 PM
Yes they can.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 01:17 PM
Yes I can.

Sorry, you cannot say it is comparable to any top courses over east.

simmsy
28th April 2014, 01:33 PM
I am
I have
I will
I'm comparing value for money between a course rated around #5 in the world(comparing it to other courses in other parts of the world) and a course not in the top 100 in the world (being compared by those same people)

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 01:34 PM
I am
I have
I will
I'm comparing value for money between a course rated around #5 in the world(comparing it to other courses in other parts of the world) and a course not in the top 100 in the world (being compared by those same people)

I am saying there is no comparison.

Lake K only gets accolades because there aren't any other options

Yossarian
28th April 2014, 01:43 PM
Sorry, you cannot say it is comparable to any top courses over east.

Yeah you can.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 01:46 PM
Yeah you can.

You can't.

Yossarian
28th April 2014, 01:48 PM
I can.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 01:50 PM
I can.

You and Mububban are the authorities on public tracks like Freo public and Hillview.

Yossarian
28th April 2014, 01:52 PM
Indeed, that is why I know K town is a goat track.

westy
28th April 2014, 01:54 PM
Gee, some intellectual giants here.

Is it RM or KH? Not quite.
Can it compare to Vic or Metro? Absolutely.

Yossarian
28th April 2014, 01:56 PM
Westy,

Don't take too much of this too seriously.

Agree with you though, the top tier in Melbourne, probably not. The next tier, for sure.

simmsy
28th April 2014, 01:58 PM
I think westy thinks were attacking his home track

simmsy
28th April 2014, 01:58 PM
I'm just saying jc has no idea

Yossarian
28th April 2014, 02:00 PM

Agree, all the VB and golf in boardshorts is killing him.

MegaWatty
28th April 2014, 02:02 PM

And that it's not as great a course as the people of Perth make out.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 02:03 PM
JC has probably played Lake K more than you two muppets combined.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 02:03 PM

Nothing wrong with VB and I have only played with TommyG once ;)

LeftyHoges
28th April 2014, 02:16 PM

:shock:

Nothing wrong with VB and I have only played with TommyG once ;)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

westy
28th April 2014, 07:59 PM
Criticise away. I do think +$200 Is too much for a round and a bacon sarny. But then I think some of the sandbelt tracks are well north of that - RM I think doesn't give much change from $300 these days I am told. Want to be a hell of a sandwich.

LeftyHoges
28th April 2014, 08:25 PM
Criticise away. I do think +$200 Is too much for a round and a bacon sarny. But then I think some of the sandbelt tracks are well north of that - RM I think doesn't give much change from $300 these days I am told. Want to be a hell of a sandwich.

For $245 we got light snacks on arrival, more food upon completion of the round, 3 chocolate bars and 2 drinks out on course, a nearest the pin set for us and they would've helped us do a draw and results had we wanted them to. The staff could not have been friendlier to us. For the no. 1 course in Aus. That's a win in my book.

KH is a lot more expensive however.

simmsy
28th April 2014, 08:26 PM
$245 was it?
Thinking $230 but anyway u beat me to it.

With lunch provided in upstairs dining area
Then after the game same room with bar facilities and hot food. With heaps of food to go around.
The CEO even came and chatted to us all while having a beer to ask if we enjoyed the day.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 08:37 PM

From pennant experience, I always found it peculiar how Lake K was the only club that didn't offer a sit down meal after the matches, only hors d'oeuvres.

I do enjoy the course and have never experienced any "wank factor". That being said, a pennant player with the initials BM, is the only person that I have ever played against that got me so fired up that I took the match personally and took great pleasure in beating him on the 18th.

Shortylook
28th April 2014, 09:53 PM
Waroona could be an option

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 11:21 PM
Waroona could be an option

BYO Export.

Shortylook
29th April 2014, 09:14 AM
BYO Export.
No they have a good supply of that in the bar. You can play with me, I'll give you all the tips for the course. 95% won't count for you but, as your that good

sms316
29th April 2014, 09:27 AM
JC loves coon eggs. He will be there for sure.

westy
29th April 2014, 09:41 AM
but the fact remains as someone said, the problem is lack of depth at the top. If you are going to go to the hassle of a corporate day then you want it at the best track in town to maximise the exposure and marketing appeal. So everyone wants theirs at LK, but can only handle a few and so can charge what it want. Its not helpful that there is such a gap to the next level

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 10:02 AM
but the fact remains as someone said, the problem is lack of depth at the top. If you are going to go to the hassle of a corporate day then you want it at the best track in town to maximise the exposure and marketing appeal. So everyone wants theirs at LK, but can only handle a few and so can charge what it want. Its not helpful that there is such a gap to the next level

If I was a member I would be quite happy with zero corporate days.

sms316
29th April 2014, 10:08 AM
If I was a member I would be quite happy with zero corporate days. Exactly. If you have a means to be viable without member disruption why wouldn't you do it?

simmsy
29th April 2014, 11:14 AM
+1

westy
29th April 2014, 11:16 AM
But they do keep the fees down

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 11:28 AM
Gosnells are having issues with the membership base becoming increasingly discontent at the amount of public play that is going through the place. The place is a zoo on Mondays.

Shadesy
29th April 2014, 11:42 AM
Gosnells are having issues with the membership base becoming increasingly discontent at the amount of public play that is going through the place. The place is a zoo on Mondays.

Well they had more tee times available when Simmsy left.

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 11:44 AM
Well they had more tee times available when Simmsy left.

Fair point. They also had an open table on the patio when Simms moved his office.

simmsy
29th April 2014, 01:17 PM
They also lost several $$'s over the counter when I left.
Though given the state that MelvilleEasyGC is in at present I may well end up back there.

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 01:38 PM
Though given the state that MelvilleEasyGC is in at present I may well end up back there.

If you are allowed.

hocko
29th April 2014, 01:51 PM
Disgraceful!

simmsy
29th April 2014, 01:54 PM
If you are allowed.

Why wouldn't I be?

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 02:07 PM
Why wouldn't I be?

You didn't follow their proper resignation procedure.

Didn't James tell you that he wasn't sure if you would be welcomed back?

westy
29th April 2014, 02:17 PM
It is the great quandary all clubs face - visitors fees v privacy. Alas letting the great unwashed inside the gates is a necessity even LK is not immune to.

We fumigate afterward.

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 02:40 PM
It is the great quandary all clubs face - visitors fees v privacy. Alas letting the great unwashed inside the gates is a necessity even LK is not immune to.

We fumigate afterward.

Members always want the best of both worlds.

MegaWatty
29th April 2014, 02:43 PM
50% of clubs are under financial duress.

Ned
29th April 2014, 02:46 PM
50% of clubs are under financial duress. In WA?

MegaWatty
29th April 2014, 02:46 PM
Australia

simmsy
29th April 2014, 03:12 PM
Would think it was more.

MegaWatty
29th April 2014, 03:47 PM
Would think it was more.

That's what the report that was put out yesterday said.

idgolfguy
29th April 2014, 04:00 PM
Last time I played Pennants at LK, a sit-down roast meal with wine and beer was provided. Going back about 6 years.

simmsy
29th April 2014, 04:17 PM
Yeah but jc was playing for Kwinana.
If they let those guys in they would steal their cutlery.

Ned
29th April 2014, 04:31 PM
Australia 70 Club's alone in Qld encountering financial hardship.

sms316
29th April 2014, 04:41 PM
Yeah but jc was playing for Kwinana. If they let those guys in they would steal their cutlery. :lol:

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 04:46 PM
Yeah but jc was playing for Kwinana.
If they let those guys in they would steal their cutlery.

Hartfield at the time.

I have actually heard other clubs commenting on it as well.

Slothman
29th April 2014, 05:37 PM
Hartfield at the time.

I have actually heard other clubs commenting on it as well.

What...on you stealing the Cutlery....

http://www.kleptomaniacsanonymous.com/

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2014, 05:38 PM
Do you need any?

Slothman
29th April 2014, 05:39 PM
Do you need any?

I had to go look up what the hell it meant......

westy
29th April 2014, 08:36 PM
I shall advise the chef to serve sushi and put out plastic glasses of Blue Nun, next time a south of the river pennants team arrives.

Not sure 50% are in strife, but certainly no longer the good old days in terms of demand for membership. LK and Cott are fine due to their target demographic, but otherwise its tough I think.

MegaWatty
29th April 2014, 09:13 PM
Not sure 50% are in strife, but certainly no longer the good old days in terms of demand for membership. LK and Cott are fine due to their target demographic, but otherwise its tough I think.

Here's a good read, Westy. It's 50%.

http://www.insidegolf.com.au/news/golf-industry-news/national-golf-participation-report-released

Shadesy
29th April 2014, 10:05 PM
I shall advise the chef to serve sushi and put out plastic glasses of Blue Nun, next time a south of the river pennants team arrives. Not sure 50% are in strife, but certainly no longer the good old days in terms of demand for membership. LK and Cott are fine due to their target demographic, but otherwise its tough I think.

Rich hackers?

westy
30th April 2014, 12:14 AM
pretty much

westy
30th April 2014, 09:47 AM
Interesting report - things are crook in Tallarook.

But then, wank factor aside, LK is doing a few things right as listed in the report.
Lots of ladies
Huge junior and sub-junior program
Families everywhere
9 hole short course
large non-golf side to the club

simmsy
30th April 2014, 05:37 PM
How many members at LK approx westy?

westy
30th April 2014, 09:24 PM
um, not exactly sure, I think perhaps 1700 all up, but most of those are non playing, country, or absentee etc

Really only a couple of hundred hard core golfing members, essentially limited to what a Wed and Sat field can hold and so basically the same as any other club. They just drink more - there is a very strong tradition of post-golf revelry. Members join provisionally with limited privileges and don't get elevated to full playing unless they show their faces in the bar after a round.

Not sure its healthy, but its fun

Webster
30th April 2014, 09:27 PM
I'd be a probable starter if LK was in the mix. $215 is not at all over the top pricing to be honest.

westy
30th April 2014, 09:41 PM
pricing of any golf round is always subjective - its supply and demand.

Basically you are asking to have access to a privately owned facility with a replacement cost probably well north of $600m. Whether or not you think the course is that good or not, the fact remains it is a massively expensive beast and so you cant expect to be let in cheaply.