PDA

View Full Version : Portsea Course Guide

AndyP
3rd February 2014, 10:51 PM
I've tried to do up a course guide using Lefty's work as a template. I have only included what is supplied on the Portsea GC website to date, plus what I can figure out as the full map. I don't know if I will have time to do any carry distances or insert hole-by-hole google images like Lefty has, but if someone else wants to volunteer, then go ahead.

Or if you have extra information on holes, please supply it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/91ggar020tl8wnm/Portsea%20GC%20Guide.docx

Pencil
3rd February 2014, 10:59 PM
One my all time favourite courses that I've played.

AndyP
4th February 2014, 05:53 AM
Got any tips?

WBennett
4th February 2014, 07:17 AM
The Portsea course guide is a little different to the layout from what I understand. They have not updated hole numbers in descriptions.

I don't think the Google Maps view is of the current layout either?

Captain Nemo
4th February 2014, 07:18 AM
Maybe ill go by this:
http://www.portseagolf.com.au/cms/course/hole-1/

Marto65
4th February 2014, 07:25 AM
The Portsea course guide is a little different to the layout from what I understand. They have not updated hole numbers in descriptions.

I don't think the Google Maps view is of the current layout either?

Whats different about it Benno?

I played it before the new clubhouse was built ... 8 is the old 18th. 9 is the old 1st. The 6th is the new 1st.

It is as the tips in the dropbox I believe.

PeteyD
4th February 2014, 07:26 AM
Considering they call the second the seventh in that guide not sure how much to trust it. although the way that guide works makes sense if routing from London Bridge road instead of the old clubhouse.

WBennett
4th February 2014, 07:30 AM
I managed to download - done a good job AP!

WBennett
4th February 2014, 07:31 AM
Considering they call the second the seventh in that guide not sure how much to trust it. although the way that guide works makes sense if routing from London Bridge road instead of the old clubhouse.

This

AndyP
4th February 2014, 08:05 AM
Maybe ill go by this:
http://www.portseagolf.com.au/cms/course/hole-1/Which is exactly what is in the document in the header post.

I think it is right, but they just didn't change the wording in the description when the old seventh became the second. I found another source of the 2014 scorecard, which agrees with the website course guide and have matched the map as best I could off that. I worked off the description off the third to find the right hole, then worked the routing around that.

Shadesy
4th February 2014, 08:20 AM
Which is exactly what is in the document in the header post. I think it is right, but they just didn't change the wording in the description when the old seventh became the second. I found another source of the 2014 scorecard, which agrees with the website course guide and have matched the map as best I could off that. I worked off the description off the third to find the right hole, then worked the routing around that.

I did the same a few weeks back and it is how you say. Guessed the location of the new clubhouse and the descriptions of the holes have been moved but not updated so they refer to old hole numbers but the hole itself is the same.

So we both have the same routing so must be correct ... Right..

PeteyD
4th February 2014, 08:25 AM
Yea, same routing I came up with. The photos make the course look pretty bloody awesome.

AndyP
4th February 2014, 08:32 AM
I did the same a few weeks back and it is how you say. Guessed the location of the new clubhouse and the descriptions of the holes have been moved but not updated so they refer to old hole numbers but the hole itself is the same.

So we both have the same routing so must be correct ... Right..

Your Paint work is better than mine. I was trying to minimise my time spent on the map that doesn't add great value to the overall guide though.

Shadesy
4th February 2014, 09:22 AM
Your Paint work is better than mine. I was trying to minimise my time spent on the map that doesn't add great value to the overall guide though.

I was trying to win an argument with simmsy so extra care with Photoshop was needed.

PeteyD
4th February 2014, 02:05 PM

Bing had an overhead that appears to be more recent than Google. The old tee (par 5) and new tee(par 4) I have circled where I think they are/where. The cleared area if you compare with google must be where the new club house went in.

Actually, looking at it more and measuring back from the green I think the tee is further over (left on the image) to make the hole straight up the fairway.

PeteyD
4th February 2014, 02:36 PM

As close as I can get with nearmaps in demo mode. You can see the new buildings though.

AndyP
4th February 2014, 03:55 PM
Overhead images added for the Portsea guide. Not much can be done for hole 1, so I've included the old overhead image.

WBennett
4th February 2014, 05:29 PM
WOWWEEE- Sunday -

http://www.bom.gov.au/images/symbols/large/wind.pngMin 30Max 38Windy. Afternoon cool change.Melbourne areaPartly cloudy with an afternoon cool change. Winds northerly 35 to 50 km/h shifting south to southwesterly 30 to 45 km/h during the day.

Revised course guide is bunt the ball 1m above the ground for the entire round and hope like hell!

BenM
4th February 2014, 05:35 PM
Awesome. Better odds for me :D

What I mean to say is, I can hit em low so it suits my game. But I still hope the forecast improves, or it won't be as much fun....

Spring Valley last year... Would've enjoyed that day a lot more if it wasn't blowing.

Waddzy
5th February 2014, 06:32 AM
I have the highest ball flight possible.. this weekend could get dangerous.

AndyP
5th February 2014, 07:05 AM
Driver bunts off the deck anyone?

Bruce
5th February 2014, 09:25 AM
I played alright when it was blowing 40kts at Port Fairy with Jack relatively recently.

Could be my time to shine.

PeteyD
5th February 2014, 09:28 AM
I love the wind and lack of trees.

LeftyHoges
5th February 2014, 01:07 PM
I love the wind and lack of trees.

Said no-one.

EVER.