PDA

View Full Version : golf carts

solarbear
2nd February 2014, 03:07 PM
Just visited Florida. Played a few rounds and noticed that all the courses require you to use a cart.

It makes sense. People can play faster and more groups can get through.

On a side note, rounds were really cheap. I played Ridgewood and it cost $25 with cart. And Southern Dunes $40 after 2pm cart inc. Both were excellent golf courses. Southern Dunes is one of ther highest ranked open to the public courses in Florida.

I wonder if the economics of putting more groups through and faster play would work for similar golf courses here in touristy regions of Oz bu essentially offering free carts?

Buzz
2nd February 2014, 03:21 PM
I wonder in the US if its economics or that people don't want to exercise / want more convienience. I can see the attraction of a cart sometimes but at least part of the reason I play golf is that I can sort of justify to myself I am out walking and getting some exercise! I personally wouldn't be in favour of all carts for that reason.

mike
2nd February 2014, 03:26 PM
It makes sense. People can play faster ...

Wrong.

sms316
2nd February 2014, 03:28 PM
Wrong. Of course they can play faster. That doesn't mean that they do.

Buzz
2nd February 2014, 03:37 PM
Of course they can play faster. That doesn't mean that they do.

Agreed. Group ahead of us yesterday was in four separate carts (which is something I have never seen before!) and we still often waited for them.

mike
2nd February 2014, 04:37 PM
Don't get me started.

sms316
2nd February 2014, 04:38 PM
Don't get me started. I bet you could drive a cart faster than you could walk with those little legs of yours (I've walked the last 3 games that I've played).

solarbear
2nd February 2014, 07:32 PM
Played 3 rounds in Florida with people of all sorts of handicaps behind and in front. Longest round was 4 hours. Last time I played 18 here it took nearly 5 as idiots looked for balls in front of us and in front of them.

Wasn't saying your local club should go this route but the touristy courses where play is usually unbearably slow.

I don't understand why we don't have beer cart girls at All courses either.

BUSHY
2nd February 2014, 07:54 PM
Carts or not, the delay is the f***wit's that piss fart around before, after and during their shots. All the cart does is allow everyone to move between shots at the same pace.. Does nothing for pace of play on its own.

Johnny Canuck
2nd February 2014, 08:15 PM
Carts or not, the delay is the f***wit's that piss fart around before, after and during their shots. All the cart does is allow everyone to move between shots at the same pace.. Does nothing for pace of play on its own.

Golfers who know how to properly use carts will always be quicker than those who walk.

The guys that refuse to walk 20m from the cart with a club while their playing partner hits are the ones that slow things down.

hocko
2nd February 2014, 08:19 PM
Or shooting the shit after tee shots and then everyone ducking into the trees to find 3 lost balls.

BUSHY
2nd February 2014, 08:20 PM
Golfers who know how to properly use carts will always be quicker than those who walk.

The guys that refuse to walk 20m from the cart with a club while their playing partner hits are the ones that slow things down.

Yes but when was the last time you played in a field where every player knew how to best utilise the cart? That's the problem. Walk or ride there will almost certainly always be a group that screws the whole field anyway. Education and following through with penalties is what's probably required, but who's got the balls to see that through. All carts would be great if people knew what they were doing and weren't selfish about it.

markTHEblake
2nd February 2014, 10:35 PM
I wonder if the economics of putting more groups through and faster play would work for similar golf courses here in touristy regions of Oz bu essentially offering free carts? They already do. Most touristy golf courses I know of carts are compulsory

SirTop
2nd February 2014, 11:23 PM
I play better when in a cart. Am less buggered and focus on the next shot rather than getting to it

Walk 97% of my games though

matty
3rd February 2014, 08:08 AM
Just visited Florida. Played a few rounds and noticed that all the courses require you to use a cart.

No wonder most of them are obese. Now they have to lug their fat arse in and out of a cart. And in no way do carts make it quicker unless people do it smartly, which is rare.

Last comp round I played in was a threesome. The other two were in a cart. I waited on the green watching their approach shots on most holes.

solarbear
3rd February 2014, 01:35 PM
No wonder most of them are obese. Now they have to lug their fat arse in and out of a cart. And in no way do carts make it quicker unless people do it smartly, which is rare.

Last comp round I played in was a threesome. The other two were in a cart. I waited on the green watching their approach shots on most holes.

Is that because you were a better golfer or because they were just slow.

Most of the people on the courses I was playing on knew how to use the carts. People would take a club or two when getting dropped off to look for a ball. They would get back to the cart quickly.

The pace of play was much faster than your standard Saturday here.

Slothman
3rd February 2014, 04:34 PM
Looking at the economics of it depends on a whole pile of factors...for instance our club looks at the following.

- Lease arrangement to cost to hire out. Essentially 2 hire outs per week covers the cost, the rest is cream for the club. Considering Each Saturday is a guaranteed twice per cart its gold. But we don't have a heap of carts.

- Damage extra carts cause to the course compared to repair costs. This is a major propblem as our course is Heritage listed so needs close monitoring. Considering slow play discussions above are because people just ignore what others are telling them, the same happens for cart use. 2 Major rules being ignored, stay on the green stuff do not ride on the dunes and stay OFF the greens.

- Cost of maintenance ie Power Charge consumption.

- Cost of employee to clean them etc.

There are more but they are the main concerns. There is a "perfect point" that we are evaluating and working towards. Do we think carts are a good income generator for our club, yes to a point. Do they speed up play. No not without a complete overhaul of members and green fee players attitudes and understanding of what constitutes slow play.

As we are talking about pet hates...here is mine for cart users.

Do not speed ahead of your ball, to look for other players balls and than go back to hit your ball when the "lost" ball is found. Go to you ball, hit the damn thing as we walk up THAN go look for other players balls if they are ahead of your own. Saves a MASSIVE amount of time.

Tongueboy
3rd February 2014, 06:26 PM
**** carts. unsociable.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2014, 06:34 PM
Looking at the economics of it depends on a whole pile of factors...for instance our club looks at the following.

What I hear from the golf courses is they really want their cart fleet rented once a day otherwise their business is hurting. As you described there is a lot of expenses above the hard cost of leasing them

Slothman
3rd February 2014, 06:39 PM
What I hear from the golf courses is they really want their cart fleet rented once a day otherwise their business is hurting. As you described there is a lot of expenses above the hard cost of leasing them

Yeh I would go with that. We only have a handful, maybe 10, on a good lease arrangement, so essentially you could say the weekend cover the cost, the weekdays get the profit.

But around once per day for the fleet would be pretty close for most clubs. Making it compulsory and allowing them "free use" as the OP suggests to increase turnover of green fee paying clients I don't think would be viable for many clubs due to the increase maintenance required on the course.

IF the course had established part carts and IF the carts kept to those designated areas it may work, but you would need a HUGE turnover to make it a viable option.

mike
3rd February 2014, 09:33 PM
Last comp round I played in was a threesome. The other two were in a cart. I waited on the green watching their approach shots on most holes.Exact same thing happened to me when I played in a comp last year. And the two in the cart were A graders.
I was first to the green every hole.

**** carts. unsociable.Yep.

Played the Qld champs last year to get to know a few more ozgolfers.

Playing in carts I didn't really get to spend much time with Bluu, Ferrins, Lefty and that other bloke.

One of the main things I like about golf apart from the exercise is simply walking up the fairway having a yack.

Carts are a fact of life with golf, much to my disgust. But they bring a huge amount of income to our club and every other club I would imagine. They get more social players on the course. But I still fkn hate them.

The last pennant match I played was in 34° heat and a million percent humidity. The fat prick I was playing was in a cart and fresh as a daisy by the end. Yes I lost. On the 17th hole. If we were both walking I would have beaten him by the 12th hole.

mike
3rd February 2014, 09:36 PM
But I've always said I don't have a problem with the elderly or injured using them.

Slothman
4th February 2014, 08:51 AM
For sure. You have a doctors certificate or age pension age, feel free to use what you need.

Need for cash has changed the use for everyone else and it is a clear advantage. I use a cart once a year and the difference is insane.

oldracer
4th February 2014, 09:10 AM
I totally agree with the anti-social aspect of carts. I ride and miss the banter during the walk with my playing partners. I could walk but wouldn't be able to for the next week if I did. We played a 4 ball ambrose last Friday and I'm sure I helped the pace by grabbing the balls out of play whilst the others played their shots then I had mine. Fatigue is another big reason I ride, work heaps of physical hours and the last thing I could muster would be a 6-7k walk for golf, much rather ride and enjoy

Daves
4th February 2014, 09:59 AM
I totally agree with the anti-social aspect of carts. I ride and miss the banter during the walk with my playing partners. I could walk but wouldn't be able to for the next week if I did. We played a 4 ball ambrose last Friday and I'm sure I helped the pace by grabbing the balls out of play whilst the others played their shots then I had mine. Fatigue is another big reason I ride, work heaps of physical hours and the last thing I could muster would be a 6-7k walk for golf, much rather ride and enjoy

The average course is closer to a 10k walk;

http://www.insidegolf.com.au/news/how-far-do-you-really-walk-during-18-holes/

Buzz
4th February 2014, 10:44 AM
I have a fitbit that I always wear while playing, when I get home I am usually at 17000-18000 steps, which translates roughly to 10k. My home course is listed as 6031m

mrbluu
4th February 2014, 11:38 AM
E

Played the Qld champs last year to get to know a few more ozgolfers.

Playing in carts I didn't really get to spend much time with Bluu, Ferrins, Lefty and that other bloke.

Are you arguing for or against using carts ;-)???

JADO75
4th February 2014, 04:14 PM
I have a fitbit that I always wear while playing, when I get home I am usually at 17000-18000 steps, which translates roughly to 10k. My home course is listed as 6031m

Playing plenty of Army golf?

Buzz
4th February 2014, 04:41 PM
Playing plenty of Army golf? I don't play off 20 for nothing ... Good way to keep fit

oldracer
4th February 2014, 08:01 PM
guess I'd be crawling the last 3 then Daves!!!!