PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 30th January, 2006

McMw
1st February 2006, 02:38 AM
Despite a 4-day weekend, I only managed to get out for 2-18holers... :(
got hit with food poisioning on CNY day - damn!!!

went out for a hit and to sweat it out, played the first 9 in -1, and came back with +6 - talk about your lame-ass game!!! just couldn't get off the bogey-train on the back nine...

Iain
2nd February 2006, 04:29 PM
Played on Monday at Riverlakes, (Thanks Keza!!). Had an 88, gave up after 15 holes, a few too many mistakes, but I am hitting the ball really solidly with my irons, plus hitting driver quite well now. Even drove the par 4 11th, missed the 3m eagle putt, but was an easy birdie. Definatley a course where some local knwledge helps.

Also had a 78 at St Lucia, 2 weeks ago. So, in some resonable form for my matchplay...... :)

Grunt
3rd February 2006, 06:29 AM
I beat Ben Hogan on Tiger Wood's 2005 yesterday, that was as close as I will get in the near future to playing :)

Matt 3 Jab
3rd February 2006, 07:56 AM
Played yesterday at new brighton in the heat
well, what can i say other than it was my usual round of solid play and really crap putting. im so sick of my flatblade, i know i need a new one, because this sits closed, but the damn hands wont putt a ball in!:evil: i hate putting!
Fairways: 9/13 Hit it long and straight all day
Greens: 9/18 Missed a few but not by heaps, irons went well
Putts: 32 :cry: Usual crap from me, alot of missed birdies inside 12 ft
Missed 3 and in footers: 3 (1 for birdie, 1 for par, 1 for bogey)
Points all up: 35 off a 7 handicap.
Wipes: 3
1 Pointers: 3
2 Pointers: 5
3 Pointers: 6
4 Pointers: 1

Frustrating, considering having a few months off, save some money, buy a putter and give it another chance, besides that i dont know what to do! :evil: 35 points isnt good enough:cry:

BrisVegas
3rd February 2006, 08:01 AM
Matt - I think you and I should start a support group for decent ballstrikers who can't putt.. My typical round lately is 10 fairways, 10 green, 38 putts and shooting 85+...

Matt 3 Jab
3rd February 2006, 08:06 AM
I hear you, we should just hire some guy to putt for us, its so frustrating isnt it! :evil:
thats why i might give the golf away for a while, that or try 1 more putter and 1 more wputting lesson, and then, ill play my guitar all day insted.

amanda
3rd February 2006, 08:36 AM
matt - we might be playing 9 holes sat arvo - want to try my putter?

AndyP
3rd February 2006, 09:17 AM
I beat Ben Hogan on Tiger Wood's 2005 yesterday, that was as close as I will get in the near future to playing :)
I'm thinking of buying Tiger Woods 2005, as soon as my TW 2003 sells on ebay. I'll skip 2004.

Matt 3 Jab
3rd February 2006, 09:28 AM
matt - we might be playing 9 holes sat arvo - want to try my putter?
i have cricket sat arvo, but if for some reason it gets cancelled i will take you up on that, thanks.

Grunt
3rd February 2006, 05:24 PM
Played Macarthur Grange this afternoon,I had 30 points with 1 wipe and a few one pointers and only one 3 pointer to bring the score back on track.
I hit the ball pretty well but could not handle the slow greens. Have been told by the greenkeeping staff they have let them grow a bit to avoid the heat killing them. They were rediculously slow with anything longer than 8 feet almost impossible to hit hard enough for the ball to roll truely. They were mowing this afternoon and said that they would mow again in the morning, so they may be better in tomorrows game.

Moe Norman
3rd February 2006, 06:42 PM
33 points on the East course at Indro today. Played solid, couldn't get up and down when I missed and didn't putt terribly but holed nothing from more than 8 feet.

worst part of the day was hitting 9 and 10 in two and still making Par on both :(

I'll take that any time though as I had 102 on the West 6 days ago!

drunken
4th February 2006, 06:55 AM
I'm thinking of buying Tiger Woods 2005, as soon as my TW 2003 sells on ebay. I'll skip 2004.

Andy thats what BT is for...just up your download limit already...:smt002

brad
4th February 2006, 07:37 AM
I hear you, we should just hire some guy to putt for us, its so frustrating isnt it! :evil:
thats why i might give the golf away for a while, that or try 1 more putter and 1 more wputting lesson, and then, ill play my guitar all day insted.

Give me $5 and I'll putt for you :-D .

I'm the opposite, short game is good to super mmost rounds, just can't get near the green before wiping some days.

AndyP
4th February 2006, 08:49 AM
Andy thats what BT is for...just up your download limit already...:smt002
Please explain??

BrisVegas
4th February 2006, 10:45 AM
Give me $5 and I'll putt for you :-D .

hehe... tempting. But I just bought a Ping Anser 2x.... If that doesn't work out, I'll call you! :-D

drunken
4th February 2006, 10:57 AM
Please explain??

Bit torrent

AndyP
4th February 2006, 11:05 AM
Bit torrent
But then I would require a mod chip, right?

Grunt
4th February 2006, 01:38 PM
Played Mac Grange again this morning.
Par Event - All Square
Could have been way better with plus 5 on the front nine, back nine was full of bad luck. Lost 2 balls less than 5 feet off the fairway, couple of bad chips really cost me
7 pars
Ballstriking was awesome, putting was better than yesterday.
Greenkeeping staff mowed greens to almost fix the problem that the greens have at the current time, bit they also watered them excessively to make them horribly soft and were severly cut up by balls and players feet.
Hopefully play a few times this week to get the game back on track.

Stats:
9 out of 12 Fairways
4 G.I.R
30 Putts
6 out of 13 Up & Downs
1 out of 1 Sand Saves
2 Penalties
91 Gross

jimandr
4th February 2006, 06:40 PM
Grant, great to see you back and complaining about what might have been.

For my game, I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or encouraged by my 85/79 in the Monthly Medal today. Hit some good shots, some bad ones, and terrible at recovery from the bad ones today.

Fairways = 8 of 14
Greens in Reg = 8 of 18
Putts = 36, 2 three putts, 1 birdie. Matt won't be hiring me to putt for him.
Up & Down = 0 of 4
Sand Saves = 1 of 4
1 penalty shot.

BrisWesty
4th February 2006, 07:51 PM
34 points at Caboolture today (with 2 washes and 3 one pointers). They've cored the greens, so they were very sandy and slow on the first 9 we played, but the second 9 had been done a little earlier so they were a little better. A lot of putts were "hit and hope", but walked off with only 33 putts (including 2 3 putts).

Lowlights of the day - what would have been one quad bogey, and one triple bogey.

Highlight of the day - 2 birdies (one of them a 6 inch tap in on the 15th. Big drive cutting the corner, 3 wood to about a metre off the front of the green, and then curling the texas wedge just to the left of the hole, curling back towards it).

Started drawing the driver, by strengthening my grip, got an extra 20-30 metres distance with no extra effort off the tee. Now I've just got to straighten it up.

2 fairways out of 13! A lot of just misses.
5 GIR
0/2 sand saves

2 birdies, 4 par, 8 bogey, 2 double, 1 triple, 1 quad

billybaub
4th February 2006, 08:41 PM
Played on Monday at Riverlakes, (Thanks Keza!!). Had an 88, gave up after 15 holes, a few too many mistakes, but I am hitting the ball really solidly with my irons, plus hitting driver quite well now. Even drove the par 4 11th, missed the 3m eagle putt, but was an easy birdie. Definatley a course where some local knwledge helps.

Also had a 78 at St Lucia, 2 weeks ago. So, in some resonable form for my matchplay...... :)

riverlakes is all about local knowledge
want to play pitch and putt...welcome to riverlakes

and no wonder u missed eagle putt
i get coached at riverlakes
the pro's want to burn that green
u cant really call it green

McMw
4th February 2006, 11:43 PM
5 bogeys-13 pars today in my 18...that was the jest of it...
not a great round with the irons, but driving was great - esp downwind!!! :lol:

shazza_rs
5th February 2006, 07:20 AM
billybaub - the 11th green at riverlakes has improved since they moved the shrub area away from the back edge of the green. The green gets more sun and is green all the time now. The only problem on the green is that it is usually littered with leaves and twigs from the nearby trees.

If you call it a pitch and putt course, what courses do you normally play?

Grunt
5th February 2006, 09:30 AM
Just saw the results in the paper, got up for a win in the 2B Par event +12 :p
they have made a typo though it says I am off 24.

Matt 3 Jab
5th February 2006, 09:52 AM
back to winning grant, awsome to hear! well done!

Bruce
5th February 2006, 09:57 AM
One Day match vs Williamstown CYMS. (1st - Us vs 2nd - Them).

9-4-13-4. That's 9 overs, 4 maidens, 4/13.
Then 13 with the bat after toeing a low full toss to mid wicket. Should have gone 5m over his head to the boundary.

We won with a ball to spare to go 2 games clear on top.
It took a crane to get out of bed today though.

BrisVegas
5th February 2006, 01:43 PM
Played Pacific GC today in hot and humid conditions.

30 points (11 + 19!!).
7 fairways
5 GIR
29 putts. 8)

Had a shocking front 9, with a few poached eggs lies and assorted other problems. Kept it together to start hitting it better on the back and managed 19 points with 2 wipes.

The new putter paid for itself today many times over. Only missed one putt inside 8 feet.

AndyP
5th February 2006, 04:25 PM
05/02/2005, Pacific GC, Stableford.

8/14 effective T-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
31 putts.
5/10 up and down successes.
----------------
8 pars.
9 bogeys.
1 double.
Score 83 nett 70 [38pts] (Par 36-36-72)

Bizarro stat: 2 attempted layups on par 5s => 2 balls in the drink. (I am now rated in the BV top 3 for worst players at lay-ups)

After a big score last week, I was really just looking to improve the ball striking a bit more, and get a little bit of touch back. I'm wrapped to have played as well as I did, and it gives me plenty of hope for my round next week.

I was hitting it off the tee well, even with the driver once I got a couple of bad ones out of the way. Irons showed a lot of improvement, and felt a lot better too. Putting was solid.
Chipping was probably the best it has been for a good while. I was hitting some of them close enough to take the iffy putts out of the equation, which certainly helps things.

Next round: 11/2, Nambour GC, Monthly Honours Winners Final.

Pinglauncher
5th February 2006, 04:28 PM
40 points today (17 and 23) The greens today were like we had torrential rain overnight so I am guessing the sprinklers copped a heavy workout. 4 putts on the second nine alone were in for all money and took wicked breaks across the hole.

Nathan had 38 (15 and 23) and came back strongly after a shocking start of 1,1,1,wipe,1.

McMw
6th February 2006, 02:07 AM
another crappy finish to the round... :(
2 under the card after 12, finished 3 over for the round with a 6/6 finish...

Virgal_Tracy
6th February 2006, 09:38 AM
Played Liverpool yesterday. Driver wasn't working on the back 9 (played 1st) but came good on the front had 35pts (17 & 18). Solid but not spectacular all day. 6 shot improvement over my last game there so very happy but still left points out there (2 wipes 2x 1pt) Bunkers still in crap condition rest of the course in really good nick except for the 3rd green.

connico
6th February 2006, 10:25 AM
Determined to not crack the 100 again at new brighton, played sat and sunday in the arvo. 92 and 95 atleast its coming down, just need get my putting down and ill be down to high 80s..then ill get my handicap cards :)

Courty
6th February 2006, 10:38 AM
I shot 84 in the Monthly Medal on Saturday. I was hitting the full shots much better after making some adjustments, but my pitching & chipping was woeful. Case in point: I hit a scorching 3-wood on the par 5 18th that finished pin high on the right fringe. The pin was positined 8 ft on from the right side. I checked the 3rd shot NTP before I played my shot. I only had to beat 50cm. I went limp-wrsited and left it about 60cm short. #-o

amanda
6th February 2006, 03:44 PM
connico - NB is always hard on the Saturday Monthly Medal - you could always hand in the cards you've already got (3 right?) - get a high handicap, then burgle the comps - I won't say a word :)

3oneday
6th February 2006, 03:50 PM
connico - NB is always hard on the Saturday Monthly Medal - you could always hand in the cards you've already got (3 right?) - get a high handicap, then burgle the comps - I won't say a word :)Isn't getting a handicap a starting point, something to improve upon ?? hand them in now and you will get a handicap that is your starting point.

What's the point in handing in cards when you are scoring in the 80's ??? when you get in comps (and competition is the operative word) you will struggle with different pressures that you place on yourself, rather than just playing games to get a handicap... Different ballgame....

I don't understand.....

Pete

jimandr
6th February 2006, 07:36 PM
I agree with 3oneday. Put your first three in, then take it from there.

My understanding is that you get a provisional after 3 cards, usually based on the lowest score submitted, rather than an average, so you may find yourself with a lower handicap than you think. Then it is reviewed when the fifth card goes in.

Playing in a comp, when you need to plan which holes you get shots on, is a bit different from social rounds, no matter how much personal pressure we place on ourselves.

Keza_G
7th February 2006, 08:04 AM
riverlakes is all about local knowledge
want to play pitch and putt...welcome to riverlakes

and no wonder u missed eagle putt
i get coached at riverlakes
the pro's want to burn that green
u cant really call it green

Probably not a good idea to "dis" Riverlakes here Billy..... cause I'll be all over you like a rash....... why you ask..... Cause not only am I the Ladies Club Champion there, I also WORK THERE......

Who coaches you at Riverlakes? Do you get coached by Josh or by Mark.. cause if you are gonna run my course down, I can make sure that wont enjoy playing there ever.... I have always found this a freindly forum and occassionally the is a bit of mud slinging, but when you call my course a "pitch and putt" I get very offended.

I am wondering where you get your information about the 11th green, last renovations we double seeded that green and now the only thing that bothers people about that green is the leaves and sticks, which are not to hard to move off your line, otherwise the green is coming along quite well.

I am happy to let any ozgolfer play at Riverlakes Gratis but if this is the way that people see the course then maybe that might stop. Basically, If you don't like it, go somewhere else...

Cheers

Keza

AndyP
7th February 2006, 01:00 PM
A little bit defensive there aren't we, Kez?
I'll admit that billybaub's words weren't kind, but I'm not sure it deserved such a big serve.

My own memories of Riverlakes aren't overly fond, but I'm willing to give it another go, one of these days.

BrisVegas
7th February 2006, 01:03 PM
I am happy to let any ozgolfer play at Riverlakes Gratis but if this is the way that people see the course then maybe that might stop. Basically, If you don't like it, go somewhere else...

Woah Keza! I liked the course and greatly appreciated the freebie. So far it's just billybaub that's slagged it, so please don't tar us all with the same brush. :???:

Keza_G
7th February 2006, 02:13 PM
AP & BrisVegas...

Yes, I got a bit defensive, but that's the kind of loyal person that I am. I would do the same for anywhere else I worked...it's called pride... and I have a lot... I take pride in everything I do and I don't like to suffer fools...

My offer to all Ozgolfers, as always, stands open and I will accept that some people just don't like it.... and they know where they can go....:)

Cheers

Keza

Moe Norman
7th February 2006, 02:38 PM
Probably not a good idea to "dis" Riverlakes here Billy..... cause I'll be all over you like a rash....... why you ask..... Cause not only am I the Ladies Club Champion there, I also WORK THERE......

Who coaches you at Riverlakes? Do you get coached by Josh or by Mark.. cause if you are gonna run my course down, I can make sure that wont enjoy playing there ever.... not the best PR for the course is it?

it's good for what it is, but lets not pretend its more than a nice course to play some social golf.