PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 - 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Mububban
29th January 2014, 06:38 PM
6 weeks till the first race of the season. Here's a helpful video listing the changes to the cars for the 2014 season. Must have kept the engineers pretty busy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJXR1TgpSg

Hamilton crashed his Merc due to a front wing failure in testing. No injury done.

And apparently Vettel is still a **** so business as usual so far.

KristianJ
29th January 2014, 09:36 PM
Oh, the noses! :(

The late 90s/early 00s (the best looking modern F1 cars IMO) seem an eternity ago.

rubin
29th January 2014, 11:45 PM
But the redbull looks awesome still - don't know how they managed that.

The Ferrari looks different, not good, not bad, just different. I do like the force India front end though. It looks the most normal.

G.K
1st February 2014, 05:27 PM
Here's a good video that shows off the sound of the new engines. From about 1:50 onwards there is comparisons of the old versus the new sound. I think I still prefer the higher revs of the old engines. Maybe the new sound will grow on me but I'm glad I got to Melbourne last year before they made the change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2QjA

Bluey
1st February 2014, 05:40 PM
Looking forward to the Melbourne race. Will get to see and hear these new cars and see if Renault have manged to overcome the engine probs they had in Jerez.

Mububban
1st February 2014, 08:53 PM
Here's a good video that shows off the sound of the new engines. From about 1:50 onwards there is comparisons of the old versus the new sound. I think I still prefer the higher revs of the old engines. Maybe the new sound will grow on me but I'm glad I got to Melbourne last year before they made the change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2QjA

V8s definitely sound better don't they? Still, I hope the changes will shake up the grid and give everyone a chance on the podium.

KristianJ
1st February 2014, 09:14 PM
And the V10s sounded even better again.

I grew up a little too recently for the V12s but looking at YouTube vids they sound like they were screamers as well.

The Red Bull reliability dramas are providing some nice tension though...could give Adrian Newey a few sleepless nights, that's for sure.

WBennett
1st February 2014, 09:26 PM
The V10s and 12s were the business. I remember the first time I saw F1 live this LeytonHouse screamed by at a bazillion rpm. It was magic.

Grunt
2nd February 2014, 09:19 AM
yeah I still remember the noise from the Final race at Adelaide. Music :)

rubin
11th March 2014, 01:29 PM
I'm very very excite for this.

Slate is wiped clean and everyone starts from scratch again, and the sound of the cars is great as well, each one sounds different (like they used to) and has character.

Williams FTW in Melbourne.

Slothman
11th March 2014, 01:38 PM
Its the first time in years I actually want to watch the race. Will be interesting to see how it goes...and Rubin..good to see another Williams fan :) Not much to cheer about in previous seasons :(

Mububban
11th March 2014, 01:45 PM
Possibly lots of DNF for technical reasons with the new cars, will definitely be interesting to see how they've all coped.

rubin
11th March 2014, 01:46 PM
not a williams fan - im just picking them to win the first race.

I'm a redbull fan, but not cause of the wins or vettel. I like the work of Adrian Newey (I find it incredibly interesting and even studied Aero at uni originally), and also because of the Aussie connection. Have met ricca on a number of occasions (before he was an F1 driver) and he's got to be one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet in your life. Seems to genuinely give a shit about what your saying, when most famous/semi-famous people couldnt care less.

talbo
11th March 2014, 01:55 PM
Will be interesting certainly in the first few races. I think they've (FIA) made a huge mistake having KERS put out so much power. If KERS fails on a car for e.g. McLaren they'd get passed by a Caterham like they were standing still.

I can't wait for quali on Saturday to see if anyone's been sand bagging in winter testing!

Mububban
11th March 2014, 04:43 PM
Will be interesting certainly in the first few races. I think they've (FIA) made a huge mistake having KERS put out so much power. If KERS fails on a car for e.g. McLaren they'd get passed by a Caterham like they were standing still.

Interesting video at the top of this link (http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/with-a-raft-of-new-rules-and-new-engines-we-run-through-the-key-changes-to-f1-for-2014/story-fnec578q-1226851190006), apparently 2013 KERS was good for 4/10 of a second per lap. This year, it will be worth 3-4 whole seconds per lap!!! Wowsers. Lucky Marc Weber's not racing F1 any more of his ERS would never work and he'd be getting done by Force India :D

BenM
11th March 2014, 05:32 PM
Yep, they will be on the ERS pretty much every time they're on full throttle. But I thought it wasn't a push button this year - all computer controlled as to when the extra power is delivered.

And it's more than just KERS - there's a heat recovery system as well (hence why I called it ERS) - there are two systems.

Sorry if it's all covered in the video - I'm on my phone and haven't watched it. Was reading some good articles in the Melb GP program yesterday though! Wish I was going this year, but other things took priority.

rubin
11th March 2014, 09:41 PM
The ers is definitely computer controlled. It essentially takes out the turbo lag and is designed to generate the same torque patterns

Grunt
15th March 2014, 02:19 PM
Anyone else keen to play fantasy F1

http://f1dreamteam.virtualsports.com.au

League is F1 Grunt

Not sure how to invite thru here as the site does invites thru email.

BenM
15th March 2014, 06:11 PM
How good was that quali session? Stoked for Ricciardo. Sad for Vettel. Not.

This year is going to be VERY interesting....

Steve
15th March 2014, 06:17 PM
That was some great driving by the lads, not sure if I like the V6 turbo idea

rubin
15th March 2014, 06:19 PM
That was one of the best I've seen. Just insane driving by the lads. And Ricca is a genuine talent.

G.K
15th March 2014, 06:33 PM
............Sad for Vettel. Not...............

I have to admit that I did genuinely laugh out loud when I heard the crowd cheer as Vettel was knocked out of quali.

Mububban
16th March 2014, 11:04 AM
I have to admit that I did genuinely laugh out loud when I heard the crowd cheer as Vettel was knocked out of quali.

You can be a world champion, but acting like a c*** won't win you many fans :D

Coverage goes all day, what time does the actual race kick off?

rubin
16th March 2014, 11:51 AM
1pm WA time

Iain
16th March 2014, 02:23 PM
Channel ten coverage is still shit.

Grunt
16th March 2014, 03:38 PM
Is not too bad on 1, is there a difference between 1 & 10?

Iain
16th March 2014, 05:13 PM
Is not too bad on 1, is there a difference between 1 & 10?

No, talking about 1 as well.

sms316
16th March 2014, 05:18 PM
Haven't watched a F1 in years. Whatever happened to them having Martin Brundle and the other pom? Their pooh would be better to listen to than these knobs.

Grunt
16th March 2014, 05:20 PM
The poms are commentating.

G.K
16th March 2014, 05:23 PM
Still got Brundle and Croft as the other pom. But you still have to put up with dribble from Greg Rust either side of the ad breaks unfortunately.

Steve
16th March 2014, 05:23 PM
Poms cause sky has the rights for the race

sms316
16th March 2014, 05:25 PM
Ok. Flicked it on and that Aussie nuff nuff was leading into a break.

Iain
16th March 2014, 05:27 PM
Yep, wish we could just get the sky coverage.

rubin
16th March 2014, 05:31 PM
agreed.

i know the footage is still what ever is given by FOM, so all get the same, but the sky blokes are millions better than the ten/one muppets.

Iain
16th March 2014, 05:32 PM
I like Brundle and Croft, it's just the Aussie morons. I know it was the celebrity race, but they had Angela Bishop commentating ffs.

G.K
16th March 2014, 05:35 PM

+1

The after race coverage is really good too with the sky coverage. I've streamed it online a few times and they have a full hour of post race stuff that is normally pretty interesting.

Having to put up with the channel 10 cross promotion all day today doesn't make it any easier. I mean really, I didn't switch on the F1 coverage to see the likes of Amanda Keller, Chris Brown, some chefs from a cooking show and biggest loser muppets sitting in a studio talking.

I don't mind them crossing to the studio for Mel McLaughlin however.

rubin
16th March 2014, 05:36 PM
+1

The after race coverage is really good to with the sky coverage. I've streamed it online a few times and they have a full hour of post race stuff that is normally pretty interesting.

Having to put up with the channel 10 cross promotion all day today doesn't make it any easier. I mean really, I didn't switch on the F1 coverage to see the likes of Amanda Keller, Chris Brown, some chefs from a cooking show and biggest loser muppets sitting in a studio talking.

I don't mind them crossing to the studio for Mel McLaughlin however.

Really? Shes ****ing painfull to listen too.

if they did a 'Bikini' special, i might watch her on that though - on mute.

G.K
16th March 2014, 05:39 PM
Really? Shes ****ing painfull to listen too.

Yes, agreed, she is still a bit "green" when it comes to doing an anchor role. But I don't tend to take too much notice of what she's saying, I just look at the pictures.

sms316
16th March 2014, 05:40 PM
Really? Shes ****ing painfull to listen too.if they did a 'Bikini' special, i might watch her on that though - on mute. It's the female bit that stuffs it up for you.

rubin
16th March 2014, 05:45 PM
It's the female bit that stuffs it up for you.

you dont read so good do u.

chappy1970
16th March 2014, 06:56 PM
Massive congrats to Daniel R on that incredible drive, hopefully big things for him in the future

WBennett
16th March 2014, 08:47 PM
According to twitter

Ricciardo's car has been found to have "exceeded consistently the maximum allowed fuel-flow limit". Big problem

Iain
16th March 2014, 08:55 PM
Oh dear.

KristianJ
16th March 2014, 09:01 PM
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/ricciardo-faces-investigation-fuel-limit-breach/comment-page-2/#comments

Not good...

BenM
16th March 2014, 09:13 PM
He will probably get dq'd for that. Massive fail by the team. What a tragedy.

BUSHY
16th March 2014, 09:23 PM
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/ricciardo-faces-investigation-fuel-limit-breach/comment-page-2/#comments

Not good...

Oh no.
Fingers crossed.

Bruce Dickinson
16th March 2014, 09:23 PM
Vettel probably dobbed him in

BenM
16th March 2014, 09:35 PM
Funnily enough supposedly the Mercs were using too much in practice too... Stewards got them to turn it down and everything was happy.

Really really hope he keeps his podium but not optimistic... Red Bull would need to come up with a pretty fantastic excuse...

rubin
16th March 2014, 09:56 PM
Funnily enough supposedly the Mercs were using too much in practice too... Stewards got them to turn it down and everything was happy. Really really hope he keeps his podium but not optimistic... Red Bull would need to come up with a pretty fantastic excuse...

That's the good/bad part of fp1/2/3. U can use illegal parts or run over the limits (teams often run with extra aero parts) and as long as they are legal for qualy and race that's all that matters.

A shame for the young bloke too. I don't see how he won't lose the second place.

backintheswing
16th March 2014, 09:57 PM
Is Hocko's bet for the punters club safe?

G.K
16th March 2014, 09:57 PM
Vettel probably dobbed him in

Haha.

Regardless of what happens, it was good seeing some new faces on the podium. I was really over seeing finger boy on the top step nearly every race for the past few years. I LOL'd at Ricciardo's "I'm trippin' balls" comment.

Jackson
16th March 2014, 10:03 PM
It would be a shame for him to lose it, but looking at the positives I don't think it will be long before he is on another podium.

BenM
16th March 2014, 10:06 PM
Haha.

Regardless of what happens, it was good seeing some new faces on the podium. I was really over seeing finger boy on the top step nearly every race for the past few years. I LOL'd at Ricciardo's "I'm trippin' balls" comment.

Yeah that was a great call. Right up there with McLaughlin's 'plucked it in first and gave it some jandal, *** yeah' a couple of weeks ago!

BUSHY
16th March 2014, 11:01 PM
Previously my interest was waning, but this year I'm excited again for what could potentially be the 'rebirth' of F1. Today was exciting to watch, which is the first time in a festive thought that. Dan being a Perth boy probably helps.

Shadesy
17th March 2014, 12:03 AM
Ricciardo disqualified.

BUSHY
17th March 2014, 12:30 AM
That sucks.

rubin
17th March 2014, 12:42 AM
Ricciardo disqualified.

That sucks.

being appealed.

the regulations state that the maximum average fuel flow rate is 100kg/h. I reckon the team will appeal on the basis that it was an average of 100kg/h.....

3Puttpete
17th March 2014, 07:48 AM
How does that work? Don't they only get 100kg for a 2 hour race?

rubin
17th March 2014, 10:03 AM
Yep.

It's both, they get 100kg of fuel for the race, and can have a max flow rate of 100kg/h during the race.

Mububban
17th March 2014, 11:16 AM
Well, that sucks for Ricciardo. Red Bull reckon they have "a strong case" for appeal, but apparently the race directors said they'd have a zero tolerance policy before the race began, so they might want to make an example of Red Bull from the get go to deter any other team from trying to bend the rules.

Slothman
17th March 2014, 01:02 PM
Yep I actually watched the race, thought it was great.

Not sold on the new "sound"....but hey.

Good thing my online betting account paid out the bet for Ricciardo getting a podium...as long as they don't remove it :)

Iain
17th March 2014, 01:11 PM
the regulations state that the maximum average fuel flow rate is 100kg/h. I reckon the team will appeal on the basis that it was an average of 100kg/h.....

You sure it says Average? All I can find is this - 5.1.4 - Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/hr

Ron Burgundy
17th March 2014, 01:26 PM
RB are alleging the FIA supplied sensor was faulty and that their own sensor indicated the flow was fine. Apparently the FIA sensor was faulty during free practice. They got given a replacement for qualifying which also failed. For the race they were told to reuse the original sensor and an offset would be applied to try to calculate the true flow. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Slothman
17th March 2014, 01:46 PM
RB are alleging the FIA supplied sensor was faulty and that their own sensor indicated the flow was fine. Apparently the FIA sensor was faulty during free practice. They got given a replacement for qualifying which also failed. For the race they were told to reuse the original sensor and an offset would be applied to try to calculate the true flow. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yeh I just read that. If Red Bull prove that their flow did not exceed the requirement, could be interesting.

New Rule next round : Teams cannot use shit that FIA provide, regardless if that shit works or not :)

Iain
17th March 2014, 01:53 PM
Probably depends on the difference in the 2 readings.

rubin
17th March 2014, 02:04 PM
Well, that sucks for Ricciardo. Red Bull reckon they have "a strong case" for appeal, but apparently the race directors said they'd have a zero tolerance policy before the race began, so they might want to make an example of Red Bull from the get go to deter any other team from trying to bend the rules.

You sure it says Average? All I can find is this - 5.1.4 - Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/hr

Sorry - your correct. I was going from memory without re-reading the regs.

Probably depends on the difference in the 2 readings.

The case red bull are going for as i see it are exactly the above, BUT they didn't use an actual sensor, they based it on a fall back position of calculations and ratings.

The issue though, is they did it regardless of the FIA. If they had sought FIA approval then there is no issue, but they didn't. The other part is that the FIA had advised on 'numerous occasions' that Red Bull were running over the limit, and offered advice on what to do to fix it, but they ignored the orders.

Will be interesting to see the outcome. F1 has become all about the black and white 'law/rules' etc, rather then the 'intent' as is normally the case.

3Puttpete
17th March 2014, 02:19 PM
Somebody used a sensor

rubin
17th March 2014, 02:34 PM
should have clarified - they had the sensor in place, but disregarded the readings it gave as they (and the FIA) believed it to be faulty.

talbo
17th March 2014, 05:49 PM
It's a farce! How can they come up with a regulation that stipulates fuel flow when there's already a limit on how much fuel a car can carry!! I would understand if re-fueling was allowed and no limit on engine usage because then you could use it to your advantage but if there was an issue with flow then it's in RBR's best interests to make sure they have enough juice to get the car home and score points. Why penalise yourself by carrying more fuel than necessary!!

I was a young lad 1985 when I first saw F1 here in Adelaide and was hooked by the sound of those 3.5 V12's and 1.5 V6 Turbo cars pushing 1000+ hp but these new turbo engines sound piss weak. I really do hope the FIA come to their senses and do something about it!

rubin
17th March 2014, 06:40 PM
It's a farce! How can they come up with a regulation that stipulates fuel flow when there's already a limit on how much fuel a car can carry!! I would understand if re-fueling was allowed and no limit on engine usage because then you could use it to your advantage but if there was an issue with flow then it's in RBR's best interests to make sure they have enough juice to get the car home and score points. Why penalise yourself by carrying more fuel than necessary!!

I was a young lad 1985 when I first saw F1 here in Adelaide and was hooked by the sound of those 3.5 V12's and 1.5 V6 Turbo cars pushing 1000+ hp but these new turbo engines sound piss weak. I really do hope the FIA come to their senses and do something about it!

Its not a case of carrying more than necessary - they are only allowed 100kg for a race, and by all reports, every single team on the grid are filling their cars to the absolute brim to make the distance, plus have the 1kg for analysis afterwards.

On another note, at the start of the race when it was alonso, bottas and hulkenberg coming into the first corner - that sound was AWESOME!!!!!!! it sounded like a supersonic jet racing past with the turbo release and the engine braking.

Slothman
17th March 2014, 06:49 PM
In my mind the limit of fuel flow even with a limit on fuel max fuel to carry would be to stop teams like Ferrari (yes my support BIAS applied there) from screwing with team tactics etc.

If you could boost your fuel usage to a point where you knew you had no hope in hell of finishing the race, just to get that extra boost in speed, just to get involved in a battle with other team cars to slow them down so your other car can disappear into the distance.....sacrifical lamb as it where....

At least that is where my mind went to immediately after hearing about the fuel flow restriction :)

Ron Burgundy
17th March 2014, 07:36 PM
The FIA are a law unto themselves so who knows what will happen.

I'm not a huge Red Bull fan but it totally understand them telling race officials to jam it when told during the race they had the fuel rate wrong. One of their cars had retired, their only other chance to score constructors points was Ricciardo who was driving brilliantly to hold onto second place, the official sensor was demonstrably faulty and their measurements said the fuel was fine.

If the sensors don't work no one should be using them. Since when has F1 been about doing an economy run anyway?

talbo
18th March 2014, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=rubin;1086022]Its not a case of carrying more than necessary - they are only allowed 100kg for a race, and by all reports, every single team on the grid are filling their cars to the absolute brim to make the distance, plus have the 1kg for analysis afterwards.

QUOTE]

Exactly my point. Why would RBR (or ay other team) jeopardise not finishing and earning very valuable constructors points by using more juice than necessary...... Obviously they've got to keep a close eye on engines also as I believe they're only allowed 5 units for the whole year.

Slothman
18th March 2014, 11:23 AM
Exactly my point. Why would RBR (or ay other team) jeopardise not finishing and earning very valuable constructors points by using more juice than necessary...... Obviously they've got to keep a close eye on engines also as I believe they're only allowed 5 units for the whole year.

Hypothetically??

Car 2 is sitting outside of points. Car 1 in battle for bare points.

Car 2 burns way more fuel with allowed, giving far more power, catches group and gets involved in battle to let Car 1 clear out knowing full well they are burning way too much fuel to finish the race.

rubin
18th March 2014, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=rubin;1086022]Its not a case of carrying more than necessary - they are only allowed 100kg for a race, and by all reports, every single team on the grid are filling their cars to the absolute brim to make the distance, plus have the 1kg for analysis afterwards.

QUOTE]

I think your forgetting a few things.

The cars don't and cant run at a 100kg/h flow rate for the entire length of the race. You come off throttle to brake, pit stops etc. In addition, none of the teams work out their fuel use, based on having a safety car. For the single safety car period at the Melbourne GP, each car would have saved approximately 3 times the amount of fuel as laps (ie the safety car was out for 3 or 4 laps, they saved in terms of fuel use, approx 10 - 12 laps worth) The energy recovery and deployment systems are so powerful in the new car, they could, theoretically, lap under the safety car using only the 'ERS'.

Take all this into account, and the teams could, quite easily, bounce over the flow rate.

The reasoning for the flow rate as well is that it stops the teams from running super slow to begin with, and then going flat out and lapping the field at the end.

talbo
18th March 2014, 06:48 PM
Those scenarios are on the assumption that there is no penalty to tyre and engine degradation for high fuel burn which should equate to faster lap times.

Why pay another 20+ seconds on an extra tyre stop (assuming you have spare set(s)) or risk destroying engines because high fuel burn = high boost. If this scenario played out in October or November in order to secure a WDC for your team mate then I can understand the concern. Teams care more for the WCC and the only way to score WCC points is to have both cars finish in the points.

990B Luva
18th March 2014, 08:03 PM
Talk amongst a few other forums is RBR did things the way they did to prove that the fuel flow meter is inaccurate. 100kg/hr is only 73.7L/hr,which is quite incredible to keep fuel flow that low for such high power figures. Case in point, the car I'm building for my brother makes 640hp, yet we have 420kg/hr of fuel flow based on the specific gravity weight of 85% Ethanol fuel.

Iain
18th March 2014, 09:14 PM
RBR also tend to be a law unto themselves, so I'm not surprised the FIA would take the hard stance.

Coffs_Hacker
31st March 2014, 07:47 AM
I have a feeling a Deja vu from last night, Ricciardo better get accustomed to this sort of shit happening

hocko
31st March 2014, 09:29 AM
Red Bull number 2 car mechanics need rooting. I cannot believe they **** things up so often!
How hard is it to change a tyre?

Pencil
31st March 2014, 11:14 AM
Red Bull number 2 car mechanics need rooting. I cannot believe they **** things up so often!How hard is it to change a tyre? Bit of cash on the side from Vettel?

Mububban
7th April 2014, 12:40 PM
So who does Pasta Marinara have incriminating photos of to keep getting an F1 seat? The guy is a maniac.

Veefore
9th April 2014, 09:10 PM
So who does Pasta Marinara have incriminating photos of to keep getting an F1 seat? The guy is a maniac. Probably has lots of $$$$$$$$$$ behind him.

BenM
9th April 2014, 09:36 PM
Probably has lots of $$$$$$$$$$ behind him.

He does. His personal sponsorship from a (state owned) Venezuelan oil company is worth millions, Lotus needed the money - they didn't pay Kimi all year in 2013 so they were obviously strapped.

Must admit the first thing I said when I saw that crash was that he is overdue for a ban. 5 grid spots is ridiculously lenient given his track record. The safety car sure livened the race up though, it was great to watch!

So very, very happy to see that result for Ricciardo. Now just gotta hope he gets his podium from Australia back and he'll be running 3rd in the championship behind the Mercs!

chappy1970
9th April 2014, 11:21 PM
When I was at the Melbourne GP, I read the blurb on lotus in the magazine and he is driving as a personal favour to the now deceased President of Venezuela.

By chance I was in the Lotus suite on the Saturday and he came into the suite after qualifying for an interview

coalesce
10th April 2014, 10:17 AM
How long before heads roll at Ferrari? Can't imagine they are happy being also-rans - and what does that mean for Alonso?

I have to confess not being too sympathetic to them due to team orders in the Schumacher era - which is why Mercedes letting their drivers race (or more likely not being able to stop their drivers racing!) is so refreshing. If you have a team with a clear advantage over the rest, with team orders, you don't even get the spectacle of their drivers competing...

mrbluu
14th April 2014, 11:05 PM
What I dont understand about the fuel flow thing, is if the Max amount a car can carry is 100kg, why bother have a fuel flow meter??

rubin
14th April 2014, 11:10 PM
How long before heads roll at Ferrari? Can't imagine they are happy being also-rans - and what does that mean for Alonso?

I have to confess not being too sympathetic to them due to team orders in the Schumacher era - which is why Mercedes letting their drivers race (or more likely not being able to stop their drivers racing!) is so refreshing. If you have a team with a clear advantage over the rest, with team orders, you don't even get the spectacle of their drivers competing...

Heads have rolled.

domenicalli has 'resigned' (read been fired).

What I dont understand about the fuel flow thing, is if the Max amount a car can carry is 100kg, why bother have a fuel flow meter??

because its to do with current road regs in britain and the taxes applied.

Basically, you get 100kg of fuel for a race. with that, you need to last the race distance, but can't use more then 100kg/h of fuel. SAfety car periods etc can mean that teams can literally burn fuel off to get max performance to make use of having that bit extra.

mrbluu
14th April 2014, 11:13 PM
Heads have rolled.domenicalli has 'resigned' (read been fired). because its to do with current road regs in britain and the taxes applied.Basically, you get 100kg of fuel for a race. with that, you need to last the race distance, but can't use more then 100kg/h of fuel. SAfety car periods etc can mean that teams can literally burn fuel off to get max performance to make use of having that bit extra. Still makes no sense.

Dotty
15th April 2014, 07:54 AM
Still makes no sense.
I gave up on F1, when it left Adelaide, but ...

I remember a gripe that Alan Jones had in 1981, when the turbo 1.5l were making inroads into the 3l 'normally aspirated' cars.

Back then, the turbos weren't as fast through the curves and corners, but had a higher top speed. A turbo car would essentially hold up the better handling car, nullifying its advantage and if it was passed, just re-pass it on the straight again.

When interviewed (at length), Jones' idea was a fuel-flow limit. The then-current total capacity limit didn't stop this hare-and-baulked-tortoise racing, as the turbos were only at the 'super-rate' for the few seconds needed to show a clean pair of heels. The 1.5l engine would use less fuel, when off-boost and baulking in the corners. So the average fuel usage was the same.

Back then, lowering the total fuel limit would also affect the 3l teams, as they then couldn't run their engines to the full potential, the gap would actually widen.

Man, I miss the days with the real Rosberg, Piquet and Fittipaldi.

mrbluu
15th April 2014, 08:48 AM
I gave up on F1, when it left Adelaide, but ...

I remember a gripe that Alan Jones had in 1981, when the turbo 1.5l were making inroads into the 3l 'normally aspirated' cars.

Back then, the turbos weren't as fast through the curves and corners, but had a higher top speed. A turbo car would essentially hold up the better handling car, nullifying its advantage and if it was passed, just re-pass it on the straight again.

When interviewed (at length), Jones' idea was a fuel-flow limit. The then-current total capacity limit didn't stop this hare-and-baulked-tortoise racing, as the turbos were only at the 'super-rate' for the few seconds needed to show a clean pair of heels. The 1.5l engine would use less fuel, when off-boost and baulking in the corners. So the average fuel usage was the same.

Back then, lowering the total fuel limit would also affect the 3l teams, as they then couldn't run their engines to the full potential, the gap would actually widen.

Man, I miss the days with the real Rosberg, Piquet and Fittipaldi.

So they are implementing a 30+ year old idea??

The old days were awesome!!!

Dotty
15th April 2014, 09:54 AM
So they are implementing a 30+ year old idea??

The old days were awesome!!!
The whole turbo cars idea is 30+ year old, but they wouldn't implement those rules then, as they didn't want to upset the big manufacturers - Ferrari and Renault, who didn't like being beaten by a 15yo Ford engine.

It's become a participation certificate formula now, where they just have to colour between the lines.

It used to be 'Find a breakthrough and make the most of that advantage for the next month to a year. Then get blown out of the water, when the others copy it and do it better. Then look for another advantage, whether in performance, handling or aerodynamics'.

Veefore
16th April 2014, 08:57 PM
It used to be 'Find a breakthrough and make the most of that advantage for the next month to a year. Then get blown out of the water, when the others copy it and do it better. Then look for another advantage, whether in performance, handling or aerodynamics'.

It still is and always has been.

Constant rule changes to stop the cars from getting too fast for a human to drive have only made that more common.
I've been a Formula One fan since about 1980 and the racing in those days was like a soccer match. You'd wait the whole race in anticipation of a passing move that might never come. There is more passing in a single race than in an entire season of the "old days" (80's-00's).

And the question earlier about the fuel capacity. The tanks can hold more than 100kg. 100kg of fuel measured in litres varies depending on ambient temperature. That's why the limit is in kg instead of litres. It's also why they could never implement a fuel flow limit in the past. There are too many variables from race to race for a simple restrictor to be effective.

In the past when there were litre limits, the team with the best techniques to cool the fuel and keep it cool until enough was used in the race had a power advantage.

BenM
16th April 2014, 09:34 PM
But then mechanical reliability used to be a lottery through the 80s until about the mid 90s so passing wasn't always required to shake the order up a bit. I stopped watching for years when Schumacher was winning every bloody thing and really only started watching religiously again 4 or 5 years ago.

Double D
20th April 2014, 03:06 PM
This one looks pretty accurate

BenM
20th April 2014, 03:22 PM
Pasta Marinara.... haha

Can't wait for the race. Ricciardo out qualifies Seb yet again. Has Seb and Rosberg in the dominant Merc behind him... I'm tipping fireworks at the start. Hope no crashes, just good racing.

Double D
20th April 2014, 03:58 PM
It is good to see Vettel getting touched up that's for sure..especially by the Aussie. I can't believe how much Ferrari are struggling...hard to watch my man Kimi going at grandma pace!

mrbluu
21st April 2014, 12:26 AM
Good to see Ricco pass Vettel a few laps after vettel told the team bad luck when they asked him to let Riccio through.

Ron Burgundy
21st April 2014, 07:02 AM
Good to see Ricco pass Vettel a few laps after vettel told the team bad luck when they asked him to let Riccio through. That few laps might have cost him a podium. He was reeling Alonso in at the end. Now that vettel doesn't have the blown diffuser he's showing that he's not so fast after all. He might have 4 titles, but the longer this goes on the more momentum will gather behind him just being a good driver in an exceptional car, rather than the other way around.

rubin
22nd April 2014, 12:29 AM
That few laps might have cost him a podium. He was reeling Alonso in at the end. Now that vettel doesn't have the blown diffuser he's showing that he's not so fast after all. He might have 4 titles, but the longer this goes on the more momentum will gather behind him just being a good driver in an exceptional car, rather than the other way around.

Rica got past cause vetted let him. He moved aside in turn 1 (which was a deliberate move).

I have problems with the second part of your pst as well. That would mean, by definition that webber was utter shit, and the other blokes on the grid are crap as well. Listen to anyone in the know, and they all say that vettel is an exceptional driver in a great car. A good driver wouldn't have won 9 straight, and 4 straight championships. Those same guys have mentioned during and after, they webber was one of the blokes on everyone's wish lists but he kept signing with Redbull as well.

The common consensus is that from a driving standpoint, ricca has more experience recently in driving a car that he has to fight, vettel is used to driving a car that is on rails in comparison. Therefore ricca is getting more from the car. Look back to last year, vettel wasn't doing great for the first half of the year, and literally ran away with it once he got the car sorted.

I hate vettel, and am yelling at the TV when ricca is smashing him, but vettel is one of the great drivers of the generation. To day anything less is very very misinformed.

Iain
22nd April 2014, 02:31 AM
I have problems with the second part of your pst as well. That would mean, by definition that webber was utter shit, and the other blokes on the grid are crap as well. Listen to anyone in the know, and they all say that vettel is an exceptional driver in a great car. A good driver wouldn't have won 9 straight, and 4 straight championships. Those same guys have mentioned during and after, they webber was one of the blokes on everyone's wish lists but he kept signing with Redbull as well.

The common consensus is that from a driving standpoint, ricca has more experience recently in driving a car that he has to fight, vettel is used to driving a car that is on rails in comparison. Therefore ricca is getting more from the car. Look back to last year, vettel wasn't doing great for the first half of the year, and literally ran away with it once he got the car sorted.

You pretty much argue against your own point with the 2nd paragraph. If Vettel was truly an exceptional driver, then he wouldn't need a car to be on rails. He should be able to get everything out of the car, but he isn't because he isn't used to it. Pretty sure an average car never stopped Michael Schumacher from beating his teammate.

virge666
22nd April 2014, 08:39 AM
You pretty much argue against your own point with the 2nd paragraph. If Vettel was truly an exceptional driver, then he wouldn't need a car to be on rails. He should be able to get everything out of the car, but he isn't because he isn't used to it. Pretty sure an average car never stopped Michael Schumacher from beating his teammate.

Depends what you are use to. We are not talking he cannot drive it... he is a 3/10ths to half second off the pace that Danny can do consistently. The Formula 3 cars dont have all the whizbang blown diffusers, clever Aero and other stuff that Seb has had for the last 6 years, so what you are use to is what you can drive.

I am use to driving a 3 litre, short wheel base, rear wheel drive car with a shitload of understeer. If you stick me in a 2.5 litre turbo rear wheel drive - it is going to take a while for me to figure it out to the same level as the last 4 years of driving the other car. The entry and car setup on the corners is totally different and so is the power delivery. Especially when there is no testing...

Seb is class. He will be back, especially when gets a decent bloody power plant.

Iain
22nd April 2014, 08:48 AM
Seb is class. He will be back, especially when gets a decent bloody power plant.

No doubt.

Veefore
22nd April 2014, 10:50 AM
Agree with Rubin and Virge. The massive change in car does take a while to get a handle on, no matter who you are or how good you are.
I remember that whenever we invited a "star driver" to come and do a guest race with us in Formula Vee they would start the race with the intention of thrashing us and finish the race hoping not to be lapped.

Vettel is definitely no hack.

rubin
22nd April 2014, 01:00 PM

he got beaten consistently when he returned for mercedes. and that, at the time, was a rubbish car.

Iain
22nd April 2014, 01:09 PM
he got beaten consistently when he returned for mercedes. and that, at the time, was a rubbish car.

He had also been out for a few years. Not really a fair comparison.

talbo
2nd May 2014, 05:34 PM

Team orders! LOL!

Do television audiences actually believe most of the shit that comes out of commentators mouths! Funny really how they remember when Rubens was asked to move over for Michael but they forget (as well as Rubens) real fast about the US GP that Michael gifted Rubens in return. Mika Salo was asked to move over for Eddie Irvine and Michael also moved over for Eddie but on the single occasion when Rubens moved over for Michael in Austria constitutes team orders and somehow Michael needed help to win GPs. Most probably don't even know that Michael made amends that same year in the USA.

If a British driver had won 7 world titles and 91 GPs the perception of the man and the prancing horse would be vastly different.

rubin
2nd May 2014, 05:54 PM
Team orders! LOL!

Do television audiences actually believe most of the shit that comes out of commentators mouths! Funny really how they remember when Rubens was asked to move over for Michael but they forget (as well as Rubens) real fast about the US GP that Michael gifted Rubens in return. Mika Salo was asked to move over for Eddie Irvine and Michael also moved over for Eddie but on the single occasion when Rubens moved over for Michael in Austria constitutes team orders and somehow Michael needed help to win GPs. Most probably don't even know that Michael made amends that same year in the USA.

If a British driver had won 7 world titles and 91 GPs the perception of the man and the prancing horse would be vastly different.

I take it your not a fan of Ferrari at all.......... :roll:

talbo
2nd May 2014, 06:01 PM
I make it no secret that I'm a one eyed Ferrari supporter, but I also don't buy into propaganda initiated by British broadcasters and media that in my experience write columns in papers about a GP they clearly didn't watch. Every one is entitled to their opinion, just amuses me when opinions are based on general conjecture rather than facts.

coalesce
4th May 2014, 12:16 PM
I make it no secret that I'm a one eyed Ferrari supporter, but I also don't buy into propaganda initiated by British broadcasters and media that in my experience write columns in papers about a GP they clearly didn't watch. Every one is entitled to their opinion, just amuses me when opinions are based on general conjecture rather than facts.

I was commenting about how it was good to see drivers on the same team allowed to race - I wasn't inferring anything about team orders other than they are not great to the viewer. I understand why teams do it

Mububban
12th May 2014, 11:39 AM
Wow, Mercedes annihilated everyone, what a smashing. Great work for Dan Ricciardo to get his first official podium. And Vettel up from 15th to 5th.

And Pasta Marinara involved in another contact incident inside the first lap, anyone see this?

coalesce
12th May 2014, 11:46 AM
I think Maldonado thinks he is racing go karts

rubin
13th May 2014, 10:24 AM
Wow, Mercedes annihilated everyone, what a smashing. Great work for Dan Ricciardo to get his first official podium. And Vettel up from 15th to 5th.

And Pasta Marinara involved in another contact incident inside the first lap, anyone see this?

I think Maldonado thinks he is racing go karts

It was a similar move vettel made a few laps earlier when passing the catarham - just vettel has the skill to do it. Tried going round the outside of one corner, and when that didn't work, just pushed down the inside from a mile back. The fact that Kobayashi pulled out of it and let him have it says something - Kobayashi is the king of diving overtakes.....

Mububban
13th May 2014, 10:35 AM
New "trumpet" exhaust being tested to maybe make the F1 cars louder

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/mercedes-set-to-test-megaphone-exhaust-to-hopefully-fix-formula-1s-noise-complaint/story-fnec578q-1226915574520

virge666
13th May 2014, 12:26 PM
It was a similar move vettel made a few laps earlier when passing the catarham - just vettel has the skill to do it. Tried going round the outside of one corner, and when that didn't work, just pushed down the inside from a mile back. The fact that Kobayashi pulled out of it and let him have it says something - Kobayashi is the king of diving overtakes.....

also a slight difference in tyres.

Maldonado is a ****ing moron and should have his license pulled.

ZENNON
13th May 2014, 01:11 PM
Just quietly, I know it's only been 5 races and all, but my tips (on superbru) are going awesome. One of the guys on a car forum I'm on started it. 25 of us on there are doing it. Its only a for the hell of it thing. No money or anything.

Me after Spain:

1/24 in the car forum pool
7/820 in the Australia pool
7/4,530 in the RedBull fans pool
106/22,593 globally

rubin
13th May 2014, 03:11 PM
also a slight difference in tyres.

Maldonado is a ****ing moron and should have his license pulled.

I believe there is a market somewhere with bloody low odds on him being suspended for a race this season.

ZENNON
20th May 2014, 12:35 PM
Facebook post from Nico Rosberg:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/s720x720/10277616_10152471388649874_4597211584760089657_n.p ng

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152471388649874&set=a.10150122633674874.318801.11459059873&type=1&theater

ZENNON
20th May 2014, 12:36 PM
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1400055269.jpg

coalesce
20th May 2014, 12:48 PM
Didn't they already say that it didn't work/make much of a difference?

ZENNON
20th May 2014, 01:47 PM
No idea sorry

coalesce
20th May 2014, 01:55 PM
It didn't make it much louder so we will just have to look for another solution.

We tried the new exhaust [because] as a team we want to do good for the sport, but it wasn't a great solution. It just didn't work.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27418196 (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27418196)

ZENNON
20th May 2014, 03:15 PM
Cool. I'm gonna miss quali this weekend but looking forward to the race

Feelzy
21st May 2014, 11:29 AM
Monaco is by far my favourite GP. If Ricciardo qualifies well again then we should have a real chance to see him challenge for the win at last.

Mububban
21st May 2014, 11:35 AM
Is Monaco one of those tracks where overtaking is almost impossible?

BenM
21st May 2014, 11:45 AM
Monaco is by far my favourite GP. If Ricciardo qualifies well again then we should have a real chance to see him challenge for the win at last.

Yes. It is difficult, there are a few places in the back half of the track like the swimming pool but not too many. It's narrow and bumpy and there are walls everywhere so the penalty for a screw up is high!

ZENNON
21st May 2014, 11:45 AM
Yes

ZENNON
22nd May 2014, 10:12 AM
lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1.0-9/10365772_771114046234639_269330043396763322_n.jpg

Mububban
22nd May 2014, 10:52 AM
:D

coalesce
22nd May 2014, 11:09 AM
lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1.0-9/10365772_771114046234639_269330043396763322_n.jpg

Apparently he was told about this and laughed

Feelzy
22nd May 2014, 12:28 PM
lol

Haha that's excellent

Mububban
25th May 2014, 11:55 PM
Another podium for Dan Ricciardo, great stuff. What a crazy unforgiving course Monaco is. And man those Mercedes cars are just kicking arse.

BenM
26th May 2014, 12:09 AM
If Dan keeps this going he could easily finish best of the rest. Really happy with how he is going - just wish the Merc wasn't so dominant.

Lewis is a crybaby.

Feelzy
26th May 2014, 02:15 AM
If Dan keeps this going he could easily finish best of the rest. Really happy with how he is going - just wish the Merc wasn't so dominant.

Lewis is a crybaby.

Great race by Ricciardo - would like the starts to be better but he keeps his head and fortunately a retirement and puncture helped him back to the podium. Those Mercedes though.. Damn that power - Thought Dan was a chance to steal 2nd with a half blind Hamilton but that acceleration out of the corners just put too much distance between them every. single. time. The Ferrari's have been flying off the start

coalesce
26th May 2014, 10:03 AM
Monaco is a microcosm of F1. The location is great, flashy, hi-tech, but the racing itself is mind-numbing. After the first couple of corners, you know exactly what is going to happen for the rest of the race, barring someone putting their car in a barrier, but even then, the safety car doesn't do anything other than make the cars follow each other a bit closer again.

ZENNON
26th May 2014, 11:30 AM
I laughed at this
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/q71/s480x480/1959416_722805014447099_7267405220983175693_n.jpg

ps old pic from Monaco https://i.imgur.com/NU759yT.jpg (nsfw)
(from here https://imgur.com/a/OAGDZ)

Mububban
26th May 2014, 02:27 PM
What was Hamilton sooking about?

coalesce
26th May 2014, 02:49 PM
A few things. From qualifying he was upset that after setting provisional pole Rosberg "made a mistake" that caused yellow flags which interrupted Hamilton's last flying lap. A bit like Schumacher did a few years back but less blatant.

Then during the race there was an incident which was fairly clearly going to mean a safety car, and Hamilton wanted to do his pit stop, but the team didn't let him and he had a whinge on the radio after saying something like "I knew it was right thing to do but I knew you guys wouldn't call me in"

Then later in the race the poor bub got something in his eye meaning he couldn't see out of it, which caused him to stop chasing Rosberg and have to defend from Ricciardo

BenM
26th May 2014, 02:49 PM
What was Hamilton sooking about?

He had something in his eye.

ZENNON
26th May 2014, 03:45 PM
He had tears in his eye.
fixed

virge666
26th May 2014, 10:03 PM
I use to like Hamilton... But after last weekend. He is a ****ing spoilt child.

Go Britney...

BenM
26th May 2014, 10:18 PM
I've come full circle.

Used to think he was a spoilt child.

For the last year or so, thought he might have grown up a bit.

Now, think he is still a spoilt child. Threatening to do a Senna on Rosberg was completely uncalled for. But I understand why he did it - he feels that he is the number one driver and is feeling slighted that his teammate has been performing so well. Personally I'm glad Rosberg has been giving him a run for his money - he seems a grounded guy. Much like Ricciardo does - no BS, just race hard and don't get your knickers in a twist.

virge666
26th May 2014, 10:28 PM
Personally I'm glad Rosberg has been giving him a run for his money - he seems a grounded guy. Much like Ricciardo does - no BS, just race hard and don't get your knickers in a twist.

Couldn't agree more.

ZENNON
27th May 2014, 09:45 AM
I don't actually mind Lewis - the bitching lately is annoying but I think he has grown from where he use to be - really dislike his "haircut" though

virge666
27th May 2014, 11:25 AM
I don't actually mind Lewis - the bitching lately is annoying but I think he has grown from where he use to be - really dislike his "haircut" though

Bitching ????

It is hard to distinguish whether it is the Turbo whine or just the dribble coming out of his face.

Never have I ever wanted to punch anyone as much as that muppet.

rubin
28th May 2014, 01:04 PM
Bitching ????

It is hard to distinguish whether it is the Turbo whine or just the dribble coming out of his face.

Never have I ever wanted to punch anyone as much as that muppet.

He has an excessive level of self entitlement that pisses me off greatly.

Funny thing, Lauda has said (on a number of occasions) that if they out the 2 guys in an identical car, lewis is quicker by about 2 tenths on average. BUT - Rosberg is better at setup and able to adapt quicker than lewis to minor changes.

Ron Burgundy
28th May 2014, 07:51 PM
I love that the tension between them is livening up the season. It's got Senna/Prost written all over it and I wouldn't be surprised of one of them takes the other out at some point. Maybe some more 'accidental' qualifying lock-ups too. They're lucky they've got Lauda at the helm, given the experience of his own feud with Prost as a team mate.

I'm a big fan of Lewis but his bagging of Rosberg is starting to get old, especially his claim that Rosberg isn't hungry enough to win the title because he grew up in Monaco whereas Lewis lived in a council flat.

rubin
29th May 2014, 01:03 PM
I really like rosberg. He seems to be a decent sort of guy that was brought up with manners - and like ricciardo - seems to be very appreciative of actually having a place in the team to drive, rather than the sense of entitlement some of the drivers have.....

I agree though, the Hamilton BS about being hungry, is exactly that. Rosberg had a WDC for a father - no pressure or hunger there at all.......
:roll:

Shadesy
9th June 2014, 05:46 AM
What a ****ing race.

Go Daniel!!

BenM
9th June 2014, 05:52 AM
Bloody oath. SOOO glad I woke up at stupid o'clock to watch.

I know the Mercs had issues but it was just a brilliant drive.... Unbelievable. Think I probably woke my poor wife up when he got round Checo... Then when he passed Rosberg the whole neighbourhood heard.

Mububban
9th June 2014, 10:14 AM
What a champ, and so humble.

Only 11 of the 22 cars finished the race.

Sounds like a demolition derby. Finished under safety car, was Vettel a chance to have made 2nd if not for that?

Dotty
9th June 2014, 10:23 AM
If it was Webber, he would have collected that spinning car, and all the fanbois would be saying 'Another stroke of bad luck.'

Well done, Daniel.

Bruce Dickinson
9th June 2014, 10:27 AM
made this 7 year old very happy this morning

chappy1970
9th June 2014, 11:01 AM
I hope that German turd was taking note, that's how to drive and win with dignity.

Lagerlover
9th June 2014, 11:03 AM
Would still struggle to buy Maccas after midnight.

Dotty
9th June 2014, 11:12 AM
Would still struggle to buy Maccas after midnight.
He needs at F1 car at Maccas, to get away from the randoms pestering him for burgers (only to be chased to the traffic lights upon exit, where random performs a fist shake).

Hatchman
9th June 2014, 11:48 AM
I hope that German turd was taking note, that's how to drive and win with dignity.

Something so not right with these words in the same sentence.

Lagerlover
9th June 2014, 01:00 PM
He needs at F1 car at Maccas, to get away from the randoms pestering him for burgers (only to be chased to the traffic lights upon exit, where random performs a fist shake).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=kp&v=roKCZfE9JJ4

oncewasagolfer
9th June 2014, 05:58 PM
Wow what a win my recording ran out with 15 laps to go and just found out Riciardo won. Have been trying to download the skysports coverage all day but Onehd are replaying the race at 10:30 tonight so will watch that:)

Mububban
21st June 2014, 04:13 PM
Lewis Hamilton beat teammate Nico Rosberg to the fastest time in the second practice.

Hamilton completed his best lap on the 4.3km track in 1 minute, 9.542 seconds, topping Rosberg by 0.377. Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso was almost a second off the pace in third.

Vettel came sixth, more than 1.4 seconds behind Hamilton, while Ricciardo posted the eighth fastest time.

It's amazing just how dominant the Mercedes cars are

KristianJ
21st June 2014, 11:04 PM
Well, 2 Merc powered cars on the front row, but they're both Williams!!

As Murray Walker might say, faaaaantastic!!!

BenM
21st June 2014, 11:07 PM
Scintillating stuff; so happy to see someone other than Hamilton and Rosberg on the front row.

Lots of cars out of position tomorrow suggests it will be a corker of a race. Hard to believe Vettel and Hamilton are so far back.

Mububban
22nd June 2014, 05:13 PM
Should be a interesting race then.

Also read this. Just imagine how much more carnage Maldonado could cause if he gets more than one chance to do a demolition derby on takeoff:

…reports are suggesting that moves are afoot to scrap rolling restarts after Safety Car periods and replace them with standing restarts. Instead of the field continuing to roll in single file back to the start-finish line, next year’s restarts will see cars grind to a stop on the grid in their race order, before a full five-red-lights standing start.

It’s believed the standing restarts concept has already been approved during an F1 Commission meeting during the week, according to Autosport.

The move has come about through discussions between teams on how to improve the show of the sport. The idea of adopting standing starts after safety car periods came about as a way of increasing both the spectacle and the amount of overtaking.

The change is not yet official as it has to be passed by the FIA World Motor Sport Council, who will meet in Germany next week.

BenM
22nd June 2014, 05:25 PM
Oh please no. Nothing wrong with how it is now.

coalesce
22nd June 2014, 05:27 PM
What is the point in the safety car if they stop the cars after it? Should just red flag the race and be done with it

But I agree, leave it as it is

BenM
22nd June 2014, 05:52 PM
The biggest problem with the safety cars at the moment is how long they go for, not the restart.

Better off training the cleanup crews to work faster, giving better access to track where possible, and for the love of god remove that stupid rule where the back markers have to unlap themselves before the restart!

As it is now there is usually chances for overtaking at the restart; moving to a standing restart will just cause more accidents and therefore more safety cars IMHO.

coalesce
22nd June 2014, 06:11 PM
Maldonado can only crash and take people out once per race...

Mububban
23rd June 2014, 10:01 AM
Maldonado can only crash and take people out once per race...

My point was that if by some miracle he survives the first corner, this could give him more than one chance per race to try again :D

coalesce
23rd June 2014, 10:11 AM
My point was that if by some miracle he survives the first corner, this could give him more than one chance per race to try again :D

Fair point.

Yesterday's race was a bit of an anti-climax for me. On a "new" track and with people out of position, I thought it had the signs of being a good one, but with Vettel losing power on lap 1, and Hamilton making up most of the places he lost in qualifying in the first few turns, after that it was a procession again.

rubin
23rd June 2014, 03:04 PM
The biggest problem with the safety cars at the moment is how long they go for, not the restart.

Better off training the cleanup crews to work faster, giving better access to track where possible, and for the love of god remove that stupid rule where the back markers have to unlap themselves before the restart!

As it is now there is usually chances for overtaking at the restart; moving to a standing restart will just cause more accidents and therefore more safety cars IMHO.

The problem with the marshalls, clean-up crews etc, is that they are all local volunteers and the like. Not a part of F1 management or the business, or any of its owners. They probably don't want to spend too much in the way of training etc, when they only do it once a year (and many are one timers as well).

They could improve the way its done, but if you look at canada, with the amount debris, oil etc after the marussia incident, i don't know if they could have moved any quicker.

The unlapping part is better than leaving them in the midfield or at the front and ruining the re-start or someones race entirely. The guys on Sky/BBC have suggested they should just let them drop to the back, but Charlie Whiting has said they can't do that, as it screws up the timing and data.

Fair point.

Yesterday's race was a bit of an anti-climax for me. On a "new" track and with people out of position, I thought it had the signs of being a good one, but with Vettel losing power on lap 1, and Hamilton making up most of the places he lost in qualifying in the first few turns, after that it was a procession again.

Have to agree though - that was the worst race of the year. I got so bored with it, that by the second round of pitstops hit, I'd changed the channel.

ZENNON
23rd June 2014, 03:09 PM
I fell asleep :roll:

KristianJ
5th July 2014, 10:21 PM
Bizarre Q1 at Silverstone with a bit of rain coming mid session...both Williams and both Ferraris haven't gone through.

coalesce
5th July 2014, 10:24 PM
Bizarre Q1 at Silverstone with a bit of rain coming mid session...both Williams and both Ferraris haven't gone through.

Cheers for reminding me it was on :)

KristianJ
5th July 2014, 10:54 PM
And rain popping up in Q3, but not enough for another Merc 1-2, it'd seem!

coalesce
6th July 2014, 10:19 PM
That was an eventful first lap. Big shunt for Kimi!

BenM
6th July 2014, 10:31 PM
Sure was - he was limping markedly when he got out so hope it's nothing serious.

Shame for the people that got good starts and the people like Massa who got taken out.

coalesce
6th July 2014, 10:55 PM
I think they'll restart in the order they were. Weirdly they go from a standing start begging the safety car for 1 lap

virge666
6th July 2014, 11:01 PM
Forty minutes to fix a three piece wall...

FFS...

KristianJ
6th July 2014, 11:11 PM
Just delaying the inevitable...

mrbluu
7th July 2014, 12:42 AM
Great to see Riccardo finish ahead of Vettel again, he is now 28points ahead of him in the stands.

It was shit the see Hamilton as the commentators were literally creaming themselves!!!

mrbluu
7th July 2014, 12:44 AM
And the commentators even try to claim Riccardo as an honourary Brit cos he has been living there....

BenM
7th July 2014, 12:56 AM
I noticed that - thought it was a bit harsh, pretty sure Ricciardo is more Aussie than Webber was due to Webber pursuing a career in Europe a bit earlier than Dan. Or maybe not. I don't know.

I did love the battle between Alonso and Vettel and the fact that Ricciardo extends his lead over both of them. Would love to see him stay third and finish 'best of the rest' in his first season in a competitive car - outperforming some very illustrious drivers including a 4 time world champ in the same equipment.

ZENNON
7th July 2014, 07:45 AM
Yeah awesome quali! (and interesting race)

Go Dan!

Ferrari measured Kimi's impact at something like 47g's :O

virge666
7th July 2014, 08:43 AM
i did love the battle between alonso and vettel and the fact that ricciardo extends his lead over both of them. Would love to see him stay third and finish 'best of the rest' in his first season in a competitive car - outperforming some very illustrious drivers including a 4 time world champ in the same equipment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this !!!!!

talbo
8th July 2014, 10:55 AM
I did love the battle between Alonso and Vettel and the fact that Ricciardo extends his lead over both of them. Would love to see him stay third and finish 'best of the rest' in his first season in a competitive car - outperforming some very illustrious drivers including a 4 time world champ in the same equipment.

I had always maintained that there were probably 15 guys that would or could've won WDC's in the RBR in the last 4 years. No doubting either that if RBR had Merc power this year they'd be in the same position they've been in for the last few seasons also.

coalesce
8th July 2014, 11:08 AM
There's a school of thought that says that under the previous engine regulations with exhaust blown diffusers, the Red Bull was the car to have as it exploited the exhaust blowing better than any other car (despite being slower in a straight line). In hindsight, it appears that driving style was optimum for Vettel too, given that now that things have changed, Vettel is struggling to adapt. Also, Ricciardo has been used to driving a (comparative) dog of a car that didn't get the same benefit of such an effective exhaust blown diffuser, so its also less of an issue for him to adapt now they don't have it. You also have to remember that Vettel blew his previous teammate away in the same car, so I don't think you can say that it was all the car and that anyone would have won in it. More specifically, Webber didn't blow everyone in other teams away either.

One other driver I can think of where a change in driving style can transform them from also ran to world beater is Jenson Button. Look at him in the Brawn days - that car was perfect for him in terms of a smooth driving style and being able to use the competitive advantage in the best way - in a way that Barrichello couldn't in the same car. Now witness Button in the heap of shit that is McLaren...

I think the thing with judging the "best" drivers is being able to see that they extract the absolute most from whatever equipment they are in. When Schumacher first went to Ferrari, it was "undriveable" (according to Eddie Irvine). Look at Alonso in the Ferrari the last few seasons. Even Hamilton seems to be able to extract that little bit extract from a car (albeit that this season, he does have the best equipment). People don't judge Vettel in the same way because now is the first time they've really seen him in an uncompetitive car - but look at the battle with Alonso in the race just gone and tell me he is not a great driver.

talbo
8th July 2014, 11:52 AM
I understand what you're saying but then I didn't think Mark was even close to the quickest guy out there unless the stars aligned themselves...

Vettel is a great driver without doubt but there are a heap of drivers that have been on he grid in the last few years that would've loved a chance at driving a Newey design. I also think that between 1992-2004 there could have been many drivers that were capable of winning the WDC had they had a seat at Williams or McLaren but we'll never know how good some of those cars really were because M Schumacher won titles in an era otherwise dominated by Newey designs. No real surprise when RBR started having success, only surprise to me is that it took as long as it did.

coalesce
8th July 2014, 12:28 PM
The early 2000s wasn't a golden era of drivers in the same way that the current season has 3 standouts in Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel then a good second tier in Raikkonnen, Rosberg, and potentially Ricciardo.

The Ferrari became a good car around the 2000 season - prior to that, Hakkinen was winning everything for McLaren, and the Ferrari was crap. That coincided with some perhaps solid but less than stellar drivers having a regular race seat, e.g. Ralf Schumacher, Juan Pablo Montoya, David Coulthard, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Jarno Trulli.

I think there's a bit of a cult around Newey, and whilst I'm certainly not saying he is crap, he does have a record of not being the fastest to respond to major regulation change. It happened in 1994 at Williams, and it has happened now at Red Bull. The McLaren designs he inherited were pretty good to start with and his later time there coincided with McLaren falling behind Ferrari/Schumacher.

My point is here that it is and always has been a combination of car, engine and driver that gets the job done in F1. You'd think a good driver could learn to squeeze the most out of a car, but equally a good design team (with the scope to do so and not hampered by being stuck with poor design choices made originally) would be trying to design their car to suit their driver. Having said that, you can still tell who the best drivers are, even if they aren't winning.

It will be interesting to see Honda come back in next season and what they can produce without the kind of restrictions the other engine suppliers have (I think only 48% of the engine spec can change - no idea how they measure that). Not sure the Mercedes engine dominance is a good thing (other than it has led to a mini-resurgence at Williams), but then the Renault has never been the most powerful engine and that hasn't stopped it before...

talbo
8th July 2014, 04:31 PM
The way I see it, if it weren't for Schuey then Newey would've had another 5-6 titles. Schuey could've taken the title in 98 and if he didn't break his leg in 99 he would've had another. Then one could argue about 05/06 regardless Schuey was the only guy in that era to beat Neweys cars. I think the only time McLaren fell behind was in 2004 because I think they still had an advantage before this.

Even this year there are a pile of drivers who could win pole and races in the Mercedes car

coalesce
8th July 2014, 05:41 PM
I take your point about this years Merc - as shown by both drivers being close in it this year.

For the Newey point, you are conveniently overlooking 2002 and 2004 where McLaren were at least the 3rd best team. In the other years in that era, generally only one of the McLaren cars was successful (usually Raikkonen) which might indicate that the driver was contributing more than it just being a good car. McLaren did not do team orders (well, not to the extent Ferrari did everything to prioritise Schuey) so that's not it. You could say the same thing about the Red Bull when Vettel won - Webber wasn't coming 2nd all the time. As I say, I'm not saying Newey is bad designer at all - I'm just saying there's a cult around him that implies he's some kind of superhuman.

talbo
11th July 2014, 07:03 PM
Not conveniently forgetting, it was a long time ago...lol! I remember thinking Kimi was giving the Ferrari's a hard time in his McLaren. Ferrari and Schuey cop quite a lot of criticism in regards to team orders but it worked its way fair in the long run, even if Rubens chooses to only remember the famous Austrian GP. I don't think Newey is superhuman but he's clever and I think the difference between Vettel & Webber was more evident in race trim because of the obvious distance or number of laps the difference is calculated on. So many guys are extremely quick over a single lap but cannot always produce that consistency in race trim. This is what in my opinion separates to good and the great.

KristianJ
19th July 2014, 10:07 PM

I miss the old Hockenheim...:(

talbo
20th July 2014, 01:05 AM
Same. I miss a lot of the classic european circuits!

PeteyD
20th July 2014, 09:06 AM
The old one was great for TV, crap for being there as the passing was in the chicanes int the forest. Sad though. Like the complete Nurburgring :(

gameboy
27th July 2014, 07:27 AM
hamilton must have angered the f1 gods - broken brakes last week, brakes/fire this week in qualy

mrbluu
27th July 2014, 11:28 PM
Damn you exciting race, I was supposed to go to bed early......come on Riccardo!!!

KristianJ
27th July 2014, 11:33 PM
Hungarian GPs are not supposed to be this way.

mrbluu
27th July 2014, 11:33 PM
Hungarian GPs are not supposed to be this way. That's what I was thinking!!!!

BenM
27th July 2014, 11:40 PM
Dan has the pace, if he can get past he can win this! Alonso may have to pit again too.

mrbluu
27th July 2014, 11:54 PM
It will be great if Rosberg takes both Hamilton and Alonso!!! (No homo)

PeteyD
27th July 2014, 11:57 PM
What a great race, and Ricciardo wins! Glad I stayed up to watch it.

Wardy101
27th July 2014, 11:58 PM
Kid is one hell of a race car driver

BenM
28th July 2014, 12:05 AM
I'd just about given up on him getting past Hamilton, then, wow. Just wow.

Great drive from Alonso on those tyres but it's easier to defend. Ricciardo proved, again, that he has world champ potential in a more competitive car.

KristianJ
28th July 2014, 12:06 AM
Great stuff!! Some brilliant drives all around.

Although my digital reception went for a few mins and by the time I got to Tenplay, I just missed Ricciardo's move. :(

mrbluu
28th July 2014, 12:14 AM
Great drive from Riccardo, the best GP I've seen in a long time!!!!

virge666
28th July 2014, 08:42 AM
Best race i have watched for years.

It had everything, drama, strategy, skill, amazing driving, stupid mistakes, crashes, THE LOT

****ing spectacular !!!

gameboy
28th July 2014, 09:24 AM
great result for dan though a little lucky with the timing of the safety car. great overtakes on alonso+hamilton. exciting race but would have been pretty dull without the rain and safety cars. very hard to overtake - rosberg couldn't get past the toro-rosso

mrbluu
28th July 2014, 09:50 AM
Best race i have watched for years.

It had everything, drama, strategy, skill, amazing driving, stupid mistakes, crashes, THE LOT

****ing spectacular !!!

Only thing missing was Hamilton having a cry!!!

coalesce
28th July 2014, 10:05 AM
great result for dan though a little lucky with the timing of the safety car. great overtakes on alonso+hamilton. exciting race but would have been pretty dull without the rain and safety cars. very hard to overtake - rosberg couldn't get past the toro-rosso

This. We got away with not having a boring race on a track that doesn't suit modern F1 cars due to rain and people crashing. Phew! :)

oncewasagolfer
28th July 2014, 10:31 AM
Awesome race totally stoked with another Riccardo win that save from vettel on the pit wall was pretty impressive as well.

gameboy
28th July 2014, 10:48 AM
this is a bit of could've/should've/would've but if dan got the points from mel and from the race his wheel fell off (malaysia?) he would be biting on hamilton's heels

chappy1970
28th July 2014, 11:13 AM
Wonder what that pr!ck Vetel is thinking about Ricciardo now as the teams other (better) driver.
Horner must be hating (constructor points aside) seeing his pet project struggling so much.

oncewasagolfer
28th July 2014, 11:19 AM
There was talk of vettel leaving red bull but can't see it with the success he has had with them.

coalesce
28th July 2014, 11:46 AM
Never say never - if Red Bull don't produce the goods in terms of a car (which could happen with newey being less involved), he'll want to jump ship

talbo
28th July 2014, 02:31 PM
Awesome race and result. Haven't seen that much action for some time. Now they got to fix that lack of noise and bring back some excitement!

Wardy101
28th July 2014, 02:47 PM
Wonder how longuntl/if Ricciardo will win a world championship. The job he s doing in a sub-par car has been extraordinary nd he is making Vettell look very ordinary

gameboy
28th July 2014, 05:03 PM
you can be an awesome driver twiddling thumbs for ages in the second best car. ask hamilton and alonso how much fun the past four years have been

gameboy
19th August 2014, 06:24 PM
Max Verstappen is the new driver for Toro Rosso- shame for Jean Eric Vergne

coalesce
19th August 2014, 06:40 PM
It is early days for the driver merry go round for next season. JEV may yet turn up somewhere else

KristianJ
19th August 2014, 06:53 PM
From what I've read, I think STR only keep their drivers on for 3 years max. Vergne's been the only one to last that long though if my memory serves me correctly.

gameboy
19th August 2014, 08:36 PM
yep, pretty much. get better and go up to redbull or gtfo. i'd be surprised if jev turned up elsewhere. not enough cash to be a pay driver and not quite fast enough to be a salary driver

nadg63
19th August 2014, 08:44 PM
Just seen that Kobayashi is about to be given the elbow by Caterham, replaced by a german driver, Andre Lotterer.

gameboy
19th August 2014, 09:21 PM
never heard of him (google says german le mans driver) 32 is pretty old to start again

Ron Burgundy
19th August 2014, 09:25 PM
Max Verstappen is the new driver for Toro Rosso- shame for Jean Eric Vergne

The kid is 16. That's insane. I was trying to get my learners at 16 and next year he's going to be getting around in an F1 car.

KristianJ
19th August 2014, 09:26 PM
Lotterer was in Formula 3000 years and years ago from memory. Seems like a rather random move.

Although in more pleasant news, I read that the Caterham will have a new nose. Anything would be an improvement, really!

talbo
19th August 2014, 09:38 PM
Makes you wonder how some of these teams can afford to get around still!

gameboy
20th August 2014, 08:55 AM
i don't think any of them make money per se. teams rely on sponsors pouring money in to give them access to a cool sport

virge666
20th August 2014, 09:04 AM
A lot of the drivers bring cash with them in the form of sponsors.

Pay for a drive kind of thing.

$300 million a year will allow you to run an F1 team, middle of the pack team at that.

talbo
20th August 2014, 09:07 AM
But even then, without ever winning any Constructors points how long can it go on for! Which I guess is why we've seen many small team come and go over the years.

virge666
20th August 2014, 09:22 AM
But even then, without ever winning any Constructors points how long can it go on for! Which I guess is why we've seen many small team come and go over the years.

The billionaires that own the teams use it as a tax deduction and also a marketing tool.

Force India is a successful example and a few others aren't.

talbo
20th August 2014, 11:19 AM
Even so, Force India have won some WCC points over the years which makes it a whole lot cheaper than for those that don't.

BenM
20th August 2014, 11:53 AM
A lot of the drivers bring cash with them in the form of sponsors.

Pay for a drive kind of thing.

$300 million a year will allow you to run an F1 team, middle of the pack team at that.

Maldonado being a classic example of the negative aspects of such an arrangement!

KristianJ
20th August 2014, 11:56 AM
Maldonado being a classic example of the negative aspects of such an arrangement!
And he's won as many GPs as Jean Alesi and Olivier Panis. Staggering...

virge666
20th August 2014, 12:59 PM

Maldonado has so much money behind him, he can do whatever he likes...

And he's won as many GPs as Jean Alesi and Olivier Panis. Staggering...

Those two sort of kill him on points though.

KristianJ
20th August 2014, 01:01 PM
Those two sort of kill him on points though.

Oh, of course. But in terms of being a fellow GP winner, it seems rather unfair (especially with Panis and his injury in Canada in 97) that those 2 only won once.

gameboy
20th August 2014, 04:03 PM
you can be a good driver in a bad car and grind it out for points. or you can be a bad driver in an average car and bolster the carbon fibre recycling indutsry

virge666
20th August 2014, 06:38 PM
you can be a good driver in a bad car and grind it out for points. or you can be a bad driver in an average car and bolster the carbon fibre recycling indutsry

clapping !

gameboy
22nd August 2014, 12:27 PM
Spa this weekend - always a great race to watch with lotsa overtaking. merc+williams for the podiums. maybe a force india

virge666
22nd August 2014, 01:30 PM
Spa this weekend - always a great race to watch with lotsa overtaking. merc+williams for the podiums. maybe a force india

Best. Track. Ever.

PeteyD
22nd August 2014, 03:01 PM
True. So true. Favorite race every year.

BenM
22nd August 2014, 09:10 PM
This was the track Webber pulled off that awesome pass on Alonso a couple of years ago wasn't it?

Should be a corker of a race.

Ron Burgundy
22nd August 2014, 09:24 PM
This was the track Webber pulled off that awesome pass on Alonso a couple of years ago wasn't it?

Should be a corker of a race.

It was. That move took massive balls and a lot of respect for Alonso's skill to know he wouldn't put him into the wall at 180mph. Got to love this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYtKMVwoMU

BenM
22nd August 2014, 09:30 PM
It was. That move took massive balls and a lot of respect for Alonso's skill to know he wouldn't put him into the wall at 180mph. Got to love this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYtKMVwoMU

Thought so. I have such a poor memory, I am amazed that some people can remember so much trivia and info about races gone by. I struggle to remember what happened last week.

Ron Burgundy
22nd August 2014, 09:58 PM
Thought so. I have such a poor memory, I am amazed that some people can remember so much trivia and info about races gone by. I struggle to remember what happened last week.I'm with you. My F1 trivia knowledge isn't great. I just remember watching this live and having the commentators lose their minds over how ballsy it was. They were talking about it on the bbc website for a few days afterwards too. Great move on a corner that's scary enough without trying to overtake someone.

gameboy
23rd August 2014, 09:52 AM
amazing they both didn't end up part of the scenery. redbull are nowhere this weekend. mercedes ftw and alonso looks strong too in practice

talbo
23rd August 2014, 10:34 AM
I'm a little surprised Alonso was that close to the merc powered cars!

KristianJ
23rd August 2014, 11:16 AM
When I think of the carbon fibre recycling industry I immediately remember the delightfully sodden Spa 98. The pile up heading out of La Source on the first lap, Coulthard shunted by Schumacher...

nadg63
23rd August 2014, 11:46 AM
When I think of the carbon fibre recycling industry I immediately remember the delightfully sodden Spa 98. The pile up heading out of La Source on the first lap, Coulthard shunted by Schumacher...

Yes, that was huge, bit's of car/carbon flying everywhere!

talbo
23rd August 2014, 12:41 PM

Whilst about to be lapped by Schue, One of the great wet drives from Schue of all time up until that incident.

nadg63
23rd August 2014, 01:15 PM
Whilst about to be lapped by Schue, One of the great wet drives from Schue of all time up until that incident.

Wrong race Talbo, this happened on the very first lap, total carnage!