PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get lower ball flight with irons

SirTop
27th January 2014, 11:44 PM
I strike my irons pretty well now, I know only Jado and Groove_Snob have seen me hit, but I'm getting a bit too much height and get punished by the wind when it's up

I've got stiff DG S300's in my G25's
I rarely take a divot
I hit a 7 iron around 150m

I suspect it may be that I'm hitting before the ball (hence no divot) too much, so throwing it up higher than I should

It's not really an issue at all usually, only when there's a breeze

I've considered keeping the hands forward and shaft leaning forward to compress the ball more, ball back in stance more etc

Anyway keen on any thoughts here and what may have worked for others.

Yossarian
27th January 2014, 11:46 PM
You don't want to hit it low.

PeteyD
27th January 2014, 11:48 PM
Let the wind move the ball.

simmsy
28th January 2014, 12:57 AM
Deloft ur club

mrbluu
28th January 2014, 05:31 AM
Try KBS c-tapers

matty
28th January 2014, 07:01 AM
Hands a touch more forward at impact, abbreviated follow through making sure you get the torso rotation through the ball.
Sounds like you might be a flipper. My curse.
Muck around at the range. The secret's in the dirt.

SirTop
28th January 2014, 07:05 AM
Cheers thanks, will give it a try. May have new irons with different shafts next week too.

Got a session with my coach sometimes soon also.

My swing could be pretty steep too, have seen lots of people with a real "around the body" swing, mine seems to be steep instead of around which probably doesn't help

goughy
28th January 2014, 07:39 AM
g25's would surely be designed to hit the ball high wouldn't they. Isn't that the purpose of them?

SirTop
28th January 2014, 07:57 AM
g25's would surely be designed to hit the ball high wouldn't they. Isn't that the purpose of them?

Yep, I did it with the ones before that too.

Also the DG S300's are meant to promote lower ball flight, so hoped that would offset it.

I usually get compliments on the flight /height, so to be honest I'm not sure if it's good or bad flight. I just know I particularly struggle in the wind

Yesterday hit a nice PW on the KGC 7th blind home, right at the pin, nice height and line and got to the hole only to see it sitting 10m in front of the green (windy day) - just an example of the frustration side of it

PeteyD
28th January 2014, 08:19 AM
You just need to learn to Club up in the wind. Hit 1 or 2 clubs more.

davepuppies
28th January 2014, 08:43 AM
You sound like a sweeper that hits the ball slightly on the up as opposed to compressing the ball..... My brother in law does the same thing.

It seems very handy to be able to hit a 6 iron over the top of trees when most others can only hit wedge...... I wouldn't change it as your stock shot, but rather learn how to hit a 3/4 arms swing with 2-3 clubs more to keep it out of the wind.....

3Puttpete
28th January 2014, 09:29 AM
Yesterday hit a nice PW on the KGC 7th blind home, right at the pin, nice height and line and got to the hole only to see it sitting 10m in front of the green (windy day) - just an example of the frustration side of it

What would you hit with no wind? Do you want to be able to use the same club into the wind?

SirTop
28th January 2014, 09:48 AM
What would you hit with no wind? Do you want to be able to use the same club into the wind?

Pete I'd normally hit a wedge into that green, 110 - 120m with no wind. I knew it was windy but thought it was left to right, higher up it was obviously blowing back towards us which wasn't immediately obvious.

I'm happy to club down into a head wind and do already, and still trying to master shots with a lesser backswing

In answer, I'm not sure if I'd prefer to use the same club, maybe if it's sideways only wind then maybe same club, and head wind use club down?

Worst and most common issue for me is the wind taking my ball way to the left or right I guess

3Puttpete
28th January 2014, 10:06 AM
It seems too simple to me so I've probably missed something.

I'd either take an extra club or hit it harder. Or take an extra club and hit it harder. And aim left or right depending on the wind.

Daves
28th January 2014, 10:15 AM
It seems too simple to me so I've probably missed something.

I'd either take an extra club or hit it harder. Or take an extra club and hit it harder. And aim left or right depending on the wind.

Hitting it harder only tends to make it spin more and get knocked down more by the wind.

Taking more club and swinging easy is my preferred method when there is wind in play. Even when it is side on. The more sidespin you put on the ball, the more the wind will tend to effect it. A low/flat takeaway and smooth swing will help keep the spin in check. Gripping down a little also helps keep the swing quiet. Practice hit 6is to 100m targets at the range. Play around with ball position to vary your flight also.

BUSHY
28th January 2014, 03:44 PM
Pete I'd normally hit a wedge into that green, 110 - 120m with no wind. I knew it was windy but thought it was left to right, higher up it was obviously blowing back towards us which wasn't immediately obvious.

I'm happy to club down into a head wind and do already, and still trying to master shots with a lesser backswing

In answer, I'm not sure if I'd prefer to use the same club, maybe if it's sideways only wind then maybe same club, and head wind use club down?

Worst and most common issue for me is the wind taking my ball way to the left or right I guess

In that situation I'd take an 8i, gripped down and try and flight it in without letting the wind get a hold of it. It is something I work on when I'm on the range and especially out on the course. If conditions allow I often take a couple of balls and hit different clubs in to the pin with different techniques. You do have to work on it though, the range is the best place to start if you have targets. I've always been told that being able tho hit the high ball is a gift, being able to control it and flight it down when called for is just another string on the bow. IMO flighting it is more important than shaping it left and right, especially at my level.

Hatchman
28th January 2014, 05:57 PM
As some others have mentioned about forget about trying to hit your standard swing lower. High flight is good for getting over trees. Learn to play a half shot for those shorter ones into the wind. On windy days I never try to hit full wedges, 8's or 9 irons. I hit half 8's, 7's and 6's that keep the flight down and go the same distance. I use these shots in strong cross winds too with great success. It's a training drill exercise shot (toe up to toe up) with the emphasis on rhythm not power.

With my old Titleist DCI 990's with DG S300's I played with a ball flight on the high side. I went through a dumbass stage where I wanted a lower ball flight and switched to Ping I3 Blades with JZ Stiff shafts. Ball flight was lower with these and what I thought I wanted until I had to hit some shots over trees to get to greens. All of a sudden I couldn't get over with the same number iron as before and one less wouldn't get me the length to get home. Quick lesson learnt that it's better to hit it high. My 712 AP2's fly on the high side just like my old DCI 990's and I'm happy scrambler again.

The only reason to go with a lower flight would be if you only played a links style course with no trees to navigate or you were losing 3-4 clubs on a not so windy day. 1-2 clubs more required is quite ok on a windy day and smart course management rather than ego will see good selections made.

Hatchman
28th January 2014, 06:03 PM
In that situation I'd take an 8i, gripped down and try and flight it in without letting the wind get a hold of it. It is something I work on when I'm on the range and especially out on the course. If conditions allow I often take a couple of balls and hit different clubs in to the pin with different techniques. You do have to work on it though, the range is the best place to start if you have targets. I've always been told that being able tho hit the high ball is a gift, being able to control it and flight it down when called for is just another string on the bow. IMO flighting it is more important than shaping it left and right, especially at my level.

Remind's me of a great Ben Hogan story when he went over to practice for the British Open. A reporter was following the American legend during a practice round and asked Mr Hogan what club he hit after knocking one close. Hogan gave the reporter a stare, grabbed 3 ball out of the bag and proceeded to knock them all roughly the same distance on the green with 3 different clubs and said to the reported "never ask what club I hit".

rubin
28th January 2014, 06:49 PM
as most of the WAnkers can tell you - I have a ridiculously high ball flight, and don't have any issues in stopping a 3i/4i on the green (when I hit them)

Began working on trying to lower it last year, or maybe 2012, and game went from bad to worse, gave up on that for the time being, and just worked on getting the shape i wanted, and consistent distances.

If i really need to play a knockdown, i use the Luke Donald approach:
add 2 club lengths to what it normally is. grip it down to almost the steel, use 70% effort and a 3/4 swing. works for me.

BUSHY
28th January 2014, 06:51 PM
:-) yeah I've heard that one. I try heaps of different things when out practicing. You never know when you might need to utilise it.

Hatchman
28th January 2014, 07:19 PM
:-) yeah I've heard that one. I try heaps of different things when out practicing. You never know when you might need to utilise it.

Best way of learning what you can and can't do.

liptout
28th January 2014, 07:21 PM
Toppy, mate, don't change your ball flight mate....

If your usual ball flight is what you had going at Liverpool that day, it don't need changing. Hitting little knock down shots, or punch shots aren't really that difficult to learn, and come in real handy when playing.... Once you figure out how to hit them consistently, it'll be your favourite shot in your arsenal. Cause they work just as well down wind as the do into a headwind/side wind.

Being able to hit long irons etc over the top of trees whenever needed is a blessing a lot of people would kill to have. You don't wana be giving that away.

SirTop
28th January 2014, 07:43 PM
Cheers guys, yes thanks I'll keep my swing as is then and learn how to grip down, lesser % swing and control the ball.

I often shank the bloody thing when I do exactly that, but that's because I can't yet consistently control the club face with a reduced swing, yet as I've not practiced it at all. I'll also try a few of the suggestions here at the range and see what works best.

Playing different shots with different clubs as the situation requires it will no doubt be invaluable, so can't wait to get there

TheNuclearOne
28th January 2014, 07:58 PM
I'd be getting looked at by a trusted pro. You've got some excellent distance there and well worth ironing out the fault.

SirTop
28th January 2014, 08:22 PM
I'd be getting looked at by a trusted pro. You've got some excellent distance there and well worth ironing out the fault.

Hi nuclearone, I have a great coach, I just can't get to see him for a few more weeks.

Heading out for 9 holes before work at 6am tmrw morning so will give it a go on one of the back holes

TheNuclearOne
28th January 2014, 11:15 PM
Ah ok, hang in there.