PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful lob wedge I've seen ...

Jono
31st January 2006, 04:16 PM
By the title, I must be talking about either the Vokeys, Clevelands, or Mizuno's ... right?

Yawwwn ... Nope.

The first thing I look at when I see a lob wedge is to put it in the address position and then OPEN it right up. As if I'm going to play a flop shot. If the leading edge comes off the ground (due to high bounce angle) or heel to toe length is small (making it prone to shanking), that lob wedge is not for me. I don't care if the back of the wedge is gold plated and glittered with diamond. It's gotta look right in the open flop shot position.

Recently, I have tried wedges with bigger faces. Namely Mac Burrows and Ping MB. The leading edge sits down nicely and the large face makes it more forgiving for those lob shots that skids the ball right across the face, from the heel and diagonally up the face towards the toe. However, there is always a chance of hitting a shank with this shot. In my recent match against Trung, I shanked a flop shot on the first. Par 5, got to 10m of the green in two, then took four more for a bogey and to halve the hole. Time for a new lob wedge.

Well, here it is. It's bewwwwdiful ...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/f201.JPG

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/f202.JPG

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/f203.JPG

And for my ultimate test, the open flop position:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/f204.JPG

It doesn't get better than this. I hit ten flop shots in the backyard that would have made Phil Mickelson jealous. Unshankable. And perfectly legal.

My search for the perfect lob wedge is now officially OVER. 8)

amanda
31st January 2006, 04:19 PM
Jono - is it a 60*? Where did you get it?

And did you try the Wishon PCF? I have one and it opens to something ridiculous like 80* without the leading edge lifting.

Jarro
31st January 2006, 04:22 PM
Jono, that's the ugliest POS i've ever seen :-s looks like something you'd flip pancakes with.

.. and get busy and de-thatch that lawn ... it's disgraceful :-\" ;)

andylo
31st January 2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah Jono, where you get that?

BrisVegas
31st January 2006, 04:26 PM
Jono, that's the ugliest POS i've ever seen :-s looks like something you'd flip pancakes with.

.. and get busy and de-thatch that lawn ... it's disgraceful :-\" ;)

to the letter... what he said.

Jono
31st January 2006, 04:30 PM
On ebay, where else? ;)

You can get more info here ...

http://www.f2golf.com/

Amanda, I've got the PCF lob wedge ... Sits nice but the face is too small.

Jarro, you need glasses. Here, use mine. How can you call that piece of art UGLY? I've never seen a wedge that looked so nice when opened up like that.

AndyP
31st January 2006, 04:31 PM
How long is the head going to stay on for?

It's very interesting looking anyway.

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 04:37 PM
i'd find it off putting lookin dow at that fugly thing.

if you have such trouble hitting a flop shot with the risk of a shank, improve your concentration!

that club has one use and thats the flop shot, that thing is the wedge answer to one of those horrendous 'chippers' - get rid of it!

Jono
31st January 2006, 04:53 PM
i'd find it off putting lookin dow at that fugly thing.

Pretty is pretty does ...

Have a look at the videos on their web site. The theory behind it is good.

Not long ago, I couldn't stand 260cc drivers ... Looked like balloons. Now even 460 looks good. Just have to get used to it. 8)

Bruce
31st January 2006, 04:54 PM
Can you play anything other than a flop shot with it?

I'm no purist - but geez man that is an ugly stick.

brad
31st January 2006, 04:57 PM
Can you open it far enough to hit the ball backwards?

Well if it doesn't work out, you can always use it to flip eggs..:smile:

Jono
31st January 2006, 04:57 PM
Can you play anything other than a flop shot with it?

Of course you can. Why couldn't you?

Jono
31st January 2006, 04:59 PM
For those who are interested in the theory:

http://www.f2golf.com/images/GrassF2.mov

http://www.f2golf.com/images/GrassReg.mov

AndyP
31st January 2006, 05:00 PM
How much will you be selling it for, once you hit your first shank?

Jarro
31st January 2006, 05:02 PM
if you shank that Jono, i'd take up lawn bowls :-\"

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 05:12 PM
i'm interested as to what else it would be good for other than a flop shot.

Jarro
31st January 2006, 05:14 PM
maybe a divot pickerupperer ........ :smt110

Jono
31st January 2006, 05:16 PM
i'm interested as to what else it would be good for other than a flop shot.

You can play ANY shot that you can with a normal lob wedge ...

... except the shank, of course. 8)

brad
31st January 2006, 05:21 PM
In cricket they call it a french cut, with this wedge it could be a sore leg - or worse :smt119 .

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 05:26 PM
i'd wear a helmut and protective goggles when attempting any shot with that thing.

Bruce
31st January 2006, 05:31 PM
Of course you can. Why couldn't you?

It's just that it looks like it has an inch (or more) of negative offset there. It seems to this mug that it would take a pretty funky swing not to chunk it if you played a normal shot.

Jono
31st January 2006, 05:48 PM
It's just that it looks like it has an inch (or more) of negative offset there. It seems to this mug that it would take a pretty funky swing not to chunk it if you played a normal shot.

No, it's the other way around, actually.

A wedge shot should ideally be with a DESCENDING blow, with the hands slightly in front of the clubhead (ie. the shaft leaning towards the target). If the wedge had a large offset (let's say hypothetical offset of 1 inch), then the hosel would hit the ground before the leading edge, yes? On the other hand, with a NEGATIVE offset, the leading edge would hit the ground before the hosel.

Have a look at the Quicktime clips. Once you get past the looks, this is a superior wedge design. Just wait till Mr Vokey brings out something similar ... ;)

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 07:19 PM
those quicktime vids did nothing for me but proove that everyone uses bull**** video to promote their product

terryand
31st January 2006, 07:34 PM
I could never hit that thing,cause as soon as I pull it out of the bag,I'd start laughing:)

Terry.

mike
31st January 2006, 09:03 PM
Another vote here for ugly.

Jarro , that grass looks like kikuyu. Aweful, aweful, aweful grass.

Trung
31st January 2006, 09:06 PM
Jono, with the way your hacking it, shanking with the driver isn't that far away.

3oneday
31st January 2006, 09:16 PM
How embarrassment !!!!!!!!

Jono
31st January 2006, 09:33 PM
Jono, with the way your hacking it, shanking with the driver isn't that far away.

I'd still beat ya 4 and 2. 8)

Trung
31st January 2006, 09:36 PM
That must have been one of your highest achievement ever. Congrats.

Jono
31st January 2006, 09:55 PM
That must have been one of your highest achievement ever. Congrats.

Thanks. I'll share it with my grandchildren. 8)

Jono
31st January 2006, 09:56 PM
I could never hit that thing,cause as soon as I pull it out of the bag,I'd start laughing:)

Terry.

Like your avatar?

;)

Jarro
31st January 2006, 10:05 PM
Jarro , that grass looks like kikuyu. Aweful, aweful, aweful grass.

Sir Walter for me mate ;)

Trung
31st January 2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks. I'll share it with my grandchildren. 8)

Make sure you tell them about your r7TP episode :mrgreen: :twisted: .

connico
31st January 2006, 10:37 PM
its a picasso...

looks good from afar, but when your up close...its fugly

drunken
31st January 2006, 10:39 PM
cinnico....you mean "looks good from afar, but far from good" ????

It's usually used with reference to a Monet as well rather than picasso. Used in the 90's movie adaption of Clueless (Alicia Silverstone). I studied for HSC Englsih, one of those things that never leaves your head....

Trung
31st January 2006, 10:45 PM
I studied for HSC Englsih, one of those things that never leaves your head....

Are you sure? :mrgreen:

connico
31st January 2006, 10:45 PM
lol i know that saying...but i had to add that its fugly... :)

drunken
31st January 2006, 10:50 PM
Are you sure? :mrgreen:

Oh yeah trust me. I can over analyze that movie until the cows come home.

TS
31st January 2006, 10:51 PM
Jono. That wedge look sick. With your track record, that thing may last 2 weeks in your bag.

perci
31st January 2006, 11:17 PM
They look like a cross between a Cleveland VAS & the Fila face forward progression irons of yesteryear.

Moe Norman
31st January 2006, 11:20 PM
nothing wrong with a monet up close.

good from far, far from good - thats more of a saying used for a chick with a decent figure but an ugly head. You see her walking from a distance and say to your mates 'nice' then she gets closer and you see the ugly head on it and the pastey skin and out comes the phrase...

Iain
1st February 2006, 01:44 AM

good from far, far from good - thats more of a saying used for a chick with a decent figure but an ugly head. You see her walking from a distance and say to your mates 'nice' then she gets closer and you see the ugly head on it and the pastey skin and out comes the phrase...

But it's still an ugly wedge......

Grunt
1st February 2006, 06:32 AM
It just looks plain weird to me!

connico
1st February 2006, 07:43 AM

thats why its a picasso...they look like **** upclose lol :)

but that is one hella ugly wedge...i wouldnt let in my bag if i was offered sex to use it....

i would if someone paid me but lol :)

brad
1st February 2006, 09:06 AM
Maybe it could be used more effectively by our northern neighbours against cane toads, the leading edge could be a dangerous weapon.

Matt 3 Jab
1st February 2006, 09:11 AM
if it works, id get one, who cares what it looks like, if i could get up and down more, and make more birdies, and win all the money off you guys, id be laughing at you, not with you!
go jono, keep up the inovation!

3oneday
1st February 2006, 10:18 AM
go jono, keep up the inovation!yep, and if you shank it you hit yourself in the old fella !!! great innovation !!!

hehehehe

Pete

andylo
1st February 2006, 10:56 AM
Maybe it doesn't look ordinary but I'd give it a try if I have given the chance. Open you mind up fellas ;)

AndyP
1st February 2006, 11:13 AM
You can talk, Mr. TourGearOnly.

andylo
1st February 2006, 11:54 AM
I also repect fucntional gears :D

drunken
1st February 2006, 12:52 PM
thats more of a saying used for a chick with a decent figure but an ugly head.

Na mate that's what you call a prawn ;)

drunken
5th February 2006, 09:40 AM
Jono, one question? What kind of lie where you in when you shanked your flop shots with previous wedges?? To shank it you must have been trying to play a flop of the fairway (a tight lie anyway). I wonder why you would try and attempt this as the risk of shank is going to be high.

Most people would usually only attempt a flop from the rough where the ball is sitting up nicely??

3oneday
5th February 2006, 01:49 PM
Jono, one question? What kind of lie where you in when you shanked your flop shots with previous wedges?? To shank it you must have been trying to play a flop of the fairway (a tight lie anyway). I wonder why you would try and attempt this as the risk of shank is going to be high.

Most people would usually only attempt a flop from the rough where the ball is sitting up nicely??I hit a shank just yesterday, only because I came too far from the inside on the way down. The lie has naffall to do with it IMHO.

Pete

macleod
5th February 2006, 03:13 PM
mate, i picked up a full set of prosimmon forged pro wedges for the wifey...$100 the lot in plastic!

i took them for a hit around the yard and bugger me dead if they don't setup just beautifully....they have s300's in the but golf pride cord grips. will have to swap em for the wifey but they are just a strasight forward, no nonses forged wedge that perform beutifully.

awesome head weight at about d6:
Lyndal's new Wedges (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1520&item=7213401833)

Jono
5th February 2006, 04:09 PM
I hit a shank just yesterday, only because I came too far from the inside on the way down. The lie has naffall to do with it IMHO.

Pete

Very rare I agree with Pete, but I must agree that the lie has little to do with whether you shank or not with a flop shot.

The fact you open up the face so much and cut across the ball means that there is less margin for error. Sort of like in tennis where if you play with heavy topspin, you are more likely to miss the sweetspot than if you hit through the ball more.

drunken
5th February 2006, 06:49 PM
Yes but if you are trying to hit with an open face off of a tight lie, I feel you're more likely to have problems. Becuase there is no margain for error when the club is sliding under the ball. Out of the rough going under the ball is not going to be issue, but you still have the issue of hitting the ball too high.

Jarro
5th February 2006, 06:51 PM
I hit a shank just yesterday, only because I came too far from the inside on the way down. The lie has naffall to do with it IMHO.

Pete

that was with the driver too wasn't it ???