PDA

View Full Version : Ping G25 replacing Cobra Amps?

fletchlec
26th January 2014, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

New member who is struggling badly with my non forged amp irons. Had Callaway X22 before the amps which were bought of the rack and was hitting them well. Handicap came down to 13 so decided to get fitted for the amps. Since then (6 months ago) I have blown out to 20 as I can't stop slicing the new sticks. Have completely lost faith in the Cobras so want to replace them.

Am considering buying the G25's but am wondering how similar to the amps they are?

Thanks in advance

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2014, 04:25 PM
Interesting that you went so far backwards post fitting, regardless of other factors.

Get out and hit them all mate! Joe Bloggs and 50 others loathe the G25's, but another 50 you'd have to pry them out of their cold dead hands.

Iron purchases aren't cheap and there should be plenty of places you can have a bash of them.

solarbear
26th January 2014, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a bad fitting.

fletchlec
26th January 2014, 04:50 PM
Yeah possibly.

Have had them adjusted 2 degrees up and it still hasn't helped.

Anyone have a recommendation for fitting in the Canberra area?

benno_r
26th January 2014, 04:58 PM
I have owned both. Amps are great bats, but I didn't like the S300 shafts in them (too heavy).

Had G25's for about 6 months now, and really love them. They have brought me down from 23 to 16, and compared to the amps, give me a nice high ball flight.

As all will say though, get a proper fitting.

SirTop
26th January 2014, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

New member who is struggling badly with my non forged amp irons. Had Callaway X22 before the amps which were bought of the rack and was hitting them well. Handicap came down to 13 so decided to get fitted for the amps. Since then (6 months ago) I have blown out to 20 as I can't stop slicing the new sticks. Have completely lost faith in the Cobras so want to replace them.

Am considering buying the G25's but am wondering how similar to the amps they are?

Thanks in advance

Hi Fletch

I have the G25's, 4-pw and am maybe selling them next week so let me know if you're interested before I put them on the bay

They're awesome irons, very easy to hit and are pretty straight. Only reason I'm selling them is because I want a more blade or hard to hit iron to progress quickly, but still making my mind up

The G25's I reckon are the pick of the bunch in that class as I tried a few. They're stiff, 1/2 longer and in good nick, S300 shafts and nice new grips with two layers of tape under. Paid $900 all up

Let me know anyway

mrbluu
26th January 2014, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Why did u get rid of the x22 before making sure the AMP was right for u? TNHO is right though, I would look deeper into the issues of why u are hitting them bad...it could be swing related!!

fletchlec
26th January 2014, 05:34 PM
Why did u get rid of the x22 before making sure the AMP was right for u? TNHO is right though, I would look deeper into the issues of why u are hitting them bad...it could be swing related!!

I still have the x22's and played comp with them yesterday. Was my best score for 6 months!

I reckon it does have to do with the swings as well, maybe I have created a swing around my non fitted clubs and doesn't suit the new amps. They are definitely longer than the x22's.

mrbluu
26th January 2014, 06:09 PM
I still have the x22's and played comp with them yesterday. Was my best score for 6 months!I reckon it does have to do with the swings as well, maybe I have created a swing around my non fitted clubs and doesn't suit the new amps. They are definitely longer than the x22's. I would check with a pro or just keep using your x22's. Nothing wrong with using older clubs as long as they work.

Steve
26th January 2014, 06:17 PM
Is there a different weight of shaft between the two sets?

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2014, 06:18 PM
Hmmmmmm, by fitted where you fit for shaft type etc or just length and lie angle?!?!?!?!??!! Sounds like it was only for length and lie.

fletchlec
26th January 2014, 06:40 PM
Hmmmmmm, by fitted where you fit for shaft type etc or just length and lie angle?!?!?!?!??!! Sounds like it was only for length and lie.

No mention on shaft type at all. Just hit the lie board and measured my hand and height. Seemed rather simple in a process that I presumed would be quite technical. Bit disappointed in the fitting all together really.

The amps have the true temper s300 shaft in them and the x22's have the standard factory reg flex shaft.

Steve
26th January 2014, 06:47 PM
Well I think you just found you problem

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2014, 07:00 PM
No mention on shaft type at all. Just hit the lie board and measured my hand and height. Seemed rather simple in a process that I presumed would be quite technical. Bit disappointed in the fitting all together really.

The amps have the true temper s300 shaft in them and the x22's have the standard factory reg flex shaft.

And there you have it!

fletchlec
26th January 2014, 07:06 PM
And there you have it!

Wrong shaft or poor fitting by the pro?

Steve
26th January 2014, 07:10 PM
Both

TheNuclearOne
26th January 2014, 07:10 PM
Wrong shaft or poor fitting by the pro?

Well one = the other? If you hit your others fine with the stock Cally reg fat chance you'd need s300's. Huge difference. Did he even ask you what flex you used or take note?

This is where you simply have to hit 'em. Irons are a bit easier than drivers when it comes to working out what you like shaft wise. If a shaft works great in one set it'll very likely work out (all things equal) in another. Drivers not so much.

wizard_of_oz
26th January 2014, 07:20 PM
X22; D2 swing weight, regular flex, half inch shorter, rumoured to be around 90g
Cobra Amp: D3 swing weight, stiff flex, half inch longer, 130g

How far do you hit a 7 iron?

timah!
26th January 2014, 07:28 PM
X22; D2 swing weight, regular flex, half inch shorter, rumoured to be around 90g

That's a massive difference in setup.

fletchlec
26th January 2014, 07:28 PM

7 Iron with the x22's was 140-145, with the amps it's 150-155.

mrbluu
26th January 2014, 07:54 PM
7 Iron with the x22's was 140-145, with the amps it's 150-155.

That could come down the AMP's having longer shaft (0.25") and strong lofts (2*) so the AMP is actually a 7.5 iron.

Captain Nemo
26th January 2014, 08:25 PM
6.5 iron?

mrbluu
26th January 2014, 08:32 PM
6.5 iron?

Yes, that's what I meant.

Captain Nemo
26th January 2014, 08:41 PM
Yes, that's what I meant.
You on the drink?
:)

mrbluu
26th January 2014, 08:45 PM
You on the drink?
:)

Unfortunately no :-(

Captain Nemo
26th January 2014, 08:48 PM
That's un australian on oz day!

mrbluu
26th January 2014, 09:04 PM
That's un australian on oz day!

Was too busy stuffing around at home with the family and it didn't help the weather was crap today and the daughter has had a fever for the last 2 night.....will have a couple at golf tomorrow. Might even have a couple before I tee off!!!