PDA

View Full Version : experience with new handicap index? ???

Anfield
24th January 2014, 05:51 PM
Anyone play a comp yet with the new system?
How did it go? what did it rate? Slope? Scratch? Etc
What are your thoughts on it all?

I must admit I'm a little confused about it all but I'll prob like it once I get use to it

Captain Nemo
24th January 2014, 05:53 PM
Our club hasn't even sorted ours out yet, could be a shit fight tom morning......

jimandr
25th January 2014, 12:13 AM
I didn't play today, but the results from today's comp at Ballina are online.

The scratch rating is 71, but the DCR was 72. There was nothing difficult or unusual about the conditions, so it might work a similar way as the old DCR, when the rating cutoff was the top 15% of the field.

The scores were fairly typical, with 36 winning a ball.

The results also show handicaps. Of the few players for whom I know their handicaps, it appear just about all of them played off exactly the same handicap as they had before.

Hatchman
25th January 2014, 03:35 PM
I like how my last round of 2 over was a played to 2.6 not 3 as it read on the old format. My 1 under back in October is still a played to 0.

PeteyD
25th January 2014, 08:34 PM
Played today. Felt the same. Went ok until falling in a big pile on 16 as per normal. No change.

Buzz
25th January 2014, 08:37 PM
I played today and personally found it no problem. I knew my new GA, I'd looked up my daily, and that number was printed on my card.

That said I was chatting in the pro shop for 15 mins before I warmed up and it was amazing how many people ... dare I say it especially the older members ... had no idea what was going on. One gentleman came in, saw he had gone out to 10, promptly disagreed (on the basis of I dont know what) and changed it back to 9.

I am assuming we had a few DQ's today!

dunteachin
26th January 2014, 04:08 PM
Played yesterday off blues - daily handicap and slope rating (130) was printed on card. DSR was 72, one less than ACR of 73. Perfect day for golf was probably the reason. Looking forward to the next medal round. ACR of 75 off blacks with slope of 132.

Collis
26th January 2014, 05:57 PM
Love the new system. My home course is very all approximately 4300 metres. I was off 16 before the change.

My new ga handicap 17.7, due to new towns slope of 99 I played off 16 yesterday.

Today I played royal Hobart playing off ga handicap 17.1, think the slope was 130 I played off 20.

Playing the harder course I picked up 5 shots, which made the day a lot more enjoyable.

Buzz
26th January 2014, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a great example of how the system is meant to work Collis!

BUSHY
26th January 2014, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a great example of how the system is meant to work Collis!

Yeah as long as the slopes are worked out accurately this is a perfect example.

Rodent
27th January 2014, 09:31 AM
I played Kogarah with my old man yesterday. He picked up 3 shots and I picked up none due to slope. He beat me on a c/b :mad:

SirTop
27th January 2014, 10:47 AM
I played Kogarah with my old man yesterday. He picked up 3 shots and I picked up none due to slope. He beat me on a c/b :mad:

Rodent, I'm a member at Kogarah. What handicap are you off, curious as to what my normal handicap will be (17)

3Puttpete
27th January 2014, 12:49 PM
Yesterday blue tees (120) off 17.

Today white tees tees (117) off 16.

I think that's how it's supposed to work.

Rodent
27th January 2014, 02:18 PM
I was off 5.5 yesterday and played off 6. My old man was off 21.4 and played off 24. We played the white tees.

dunteachin
27th January 2014, 09:53 PM
interesting that DSR was 3 strokes below ACR today and 1 stroke below on Saturday - probably just because the weather's so good but maybe the course isn't as hard as it's cracked up to be? lot's more good scores than usual

mrbluu
27th January 2014, 09:59 PM
Turned up to cabra, got given my card with my handicap on it, so I played off 4N. Also they had a print out on the wall of the proshop of what handicap you should be playing off.

For got to add, proceed to use up all my shots and more in the first 4 holes!!! :(:oops:

jimandr
27th January 2014, 10:10 PM
Same with me. My first experience with the new system was totally painless. Our card even has a new column showing where we get our shots.

It might be interesting playing an away game, but home games are business as usual. I've even worked out what scores I need to shoot to get counters and (very optimistically) what I need to drop a shot.

Slothman
28th January 2014, 01:18 PM
Yeah as long as the slopes are worked out accurately this is a perfect example.

Yep...

I believe my home course is severely underrated (as every person I played with from a visiting club on the weekend bought that point up). HOWEVER I have also found out since than that there will be adjustments made over the coming years as more rounds are entered to find and deal with those that feel there are issues. So that is a good thing, if there are errors they are going to attempt to correct them.

But the scarey thing is the Ladies Slope has been "misreported" somewhere in the line.

Either Golf Australia gave the wrong number to Golf Link or Golf Link entered the wrong data..either way both parties are pointing the finger at the other party. Hope it gets resolved soon as it appears that no rounds are being uploaded until resolved. Going out at Lunch to see if they need a "more aggressive" phone call :). Not real sure on the facts to this one as I had a quick chat to our pro before teeing off but something is a miss.

benno_r
28th January 2014, 01:32 PM
Played my first round with it on Sunday. MY GL handicap had dropped to 16, but I played off 17 (as I usually did).

I scored 37 points, which should be played to 17 (Par 70/ACR 69), but due to the mega wind, my played to was 14.2. Makes sense because no one else was over 33pts when I left.

Card was pre printed, had all the holes I get shots on marked - super easy!

Slothman
28th January 2014, 04:28 PM
Update: looks like my weekend scores just went through, as embarrassing as they are.

With the backdated DSR calculations it has thrown a lot of my "improvement goals" out of whack.... *shrugs*. Just have to adopt to the new system.

For instance my best 8 where in my last 11. With the change I lose one next round.

Probably the best for me as I seem to play better when I "don't care" about the next round.

With the current system I cannot calculate what my handicap will be until after the round with the DSR etc etc so I will probably just rock up and play the best I can with the handicap on the day, so for me that mindset hopefully will work better :)

markTHEblake
28th January 2014, 05:58 PM
Surely you can be reasonably accurate with deducing what impact a potential score will be.

A shot difference in DCR impacts your index by about .09. So its not that hard to guess within .2 at worst

graham_w
28th January 2014, 08:33 PM
This page has been updated with the new system and helps with handicap predictions http://www.jpho.net/gl/index.php

Just put your golf link in, select the course you are playing next and it will tell you what your handicap will be with a range of possible scores for your next round.

BenM
28th January 2014, 08:41 PM
That's a great site, I've had it bookmarked for a while - just hope he adds courses from other states of Australia than just the sunshine state :)

graham_w
28th January 2014, 08:44 PM
That's a great site, I've had it bookmarked for a while - just hope he adds courses from other states of Australia than just the sunshine state :)

Ahh didn't even realise it was QLD only. Apologies.

Captain Nemo
28th January 2014, 08:47 PM
This page has been updated with the new system and helps with handicap predictions http://www.jpho.net/gl/index.php

Just put your golf link in, select the course you are playing next and it will tell you what your handicap will be with a range of possible scores for your next round.

I think that's SMS 's mate who did that?
I can't find my course, at least on iPad?

BenM
28th January 2014, 08:47 PM
Ahh didn't even realise it was QLD only. Apologies.

Nah it's all good. I hadn't visited since the system changed. I'm glad he's still working on it. Guessing he's pulled the slope ratings from Golf QLD into a database, would take some time to get the other states in (if he wanted to).

sms316
28th January 2014, 09:06 PM
He sent me an updated version today.

http://www.jpho.net/gl

Marto65
28th January 2014, 09:12 PM
SMS. Can you get him to add Woodlands, RM, Rye Dunes, Portsea and Kew ASAP?

Captain Nemo
28th January 2014, 09:14 PM
Oh, and Kogarah!
;)

simmsy
28th January 2014, 09:15 PM
SMS is it possible for him to add more courses or incl the ability for us to add the courses for ourselves?

Is a good site. Always worked well before. Good to get it going again now with new system.

sms316
28th January 2014, 09:20 PM
Stuffed if I know. The bloke did the site because he has nothing better to do. I'm not even sure if I was ever supposed to share it.

simmsy
28th January 2014, 09:55 PM
Hahahaha.
Oh well can't hurt to ask him then. ;)

jasonb
28th January 2014, 11:16 PM
Round Details
http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png
http://handicap.golflink.com.au/images/handicaphistory2011/arrow-down.png

26/01/2014, The Vines-Reynella, Comp (Stableford) Score: 31 (http://handicap.golflink.com.au/mates/matescompresults.aspx?compid=5227215)

I dont understand - my course par is 71 , Scratch rating is 72 , Slope is 125 . Yet on the day Par is set to 68 ? is this because the course played easy? I see the DSR reduced as well.

Slothman
29th January 2014, 12:04 PM
I had 2 stroke rounds added with a different DSR for each day so it was good to check out. There is still a lot of the site not up and running properly so will wait for that to get corrected.

One thing that is interesting is the Handicapping Score Column.

http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_no=6690101022

I can't find a "help page" to read the new layout so if someone has a link that would be great.

The first column has details of the round including my Net Stroke score (yes both bad days). They are both correct. The next column is confusing. The new system is meant to use the Stableford system for the purpose of handicapping. What is interesting is I quickly did my handicap score up for the round on the 25th and it was 30 points, not 28. The Stableford Handicapping score isn't adjusted from everything I have read as it used as the base before being adjusted by the DSR for the (what I am assuming anyway) Played To Column.

Am I reading the new display wrong?? Does anyone have a what each column means page they found??

matty
29th January 2014, 12:23 PM
Played under this for the first time today. The pro shop gave me my daily handicap. That's all i need to know! Seemed to work fine.

3oneday
29th January 2014, 12:32 PM
That's the point really.

Tank33
29th January 2014, 04:33 PM
Everything is straight forward. Except on some courses their DSRs fluctuate by a few shots on a given day which makes it difficult to guess what 'play to' figure your gonna get after a comp and how your handicap will move.
No point having a guess unless you are quite sure of what DSR will be after the comp.
e.g. my friends game on Tuesday showed up on golflink as follows:

G.A Handicap before the game: 5.4
Handicapping Score: 42
DSR: 63
Scratch Rating: 66
Slope Rating: 120
Par: 68
Daily Handicap: 6
Adjusted Gross: 68
Played To: 4.7
New GA Handicap: 5.5

Basically he scored even par off the stick still ended up with 4.7 Played to
Is it a curse or blessing?

graham_w
29th January 2014, 04:42 PM
As long as it goes the other way when the course plays more difficult, it should even itself out (in theory)

AndyP
29th January 2014, 04:44 PM
If the DSR from my Saturday round is anything to go by, it is going to show that the ACRs are not very accurate. My course has an ACR of 65, yet the DSR was 67. There was some wind and the greens were furry, but the course is dry. It will only get harder with some rain.

Rodent
29th January 2014, 06:24 PM
Yes but the ACR is more pertinent for scratch markers. The DSR is pertinent for the field assembled on the day playing the conditions of the day.

Buzz
29th January 2014, 07:02 PM
Yes but the ACR is more pertinent for scratch markers. The DSR is pertinent for the field assembled on the day playing the conditions of the day. Agreed ... Conditions were great at my local but the pins were tough so the DSR ended up being 74. Given I had a poor 30 points I was pleased my played to only came in 2.4 above my daily!

bdoug10
29th January 2014, 08:34 PM
So does that mean the acr is no longer?

AndyP
29th January 2014, 08:45 PM
So does that mean the acr is no longer?It isn't used for handicapping purposes directly, although it is probably part of the formula for DSR, along with Pi and the number of golf balls lost on the day.

Hatchman
3rd February 2014, 12:00 PM
The new system helps make some of the ugly rounds look not as ugly when looking up your record.

My two ugly fatties in the Vardon at TTG has been adjusted to an 85 due to a 5 over on one hole.

BGH
3rd February 2014, 12:06 PM
Everything is straight forward. Except on some courses their DSRs fluctuate by a few shots on a given day which makes it difficult to guess what 'play to' figure your gonna get after a comp and how your handicap will move.
No point having a guess unless you are quite sure of what DSR will be after the comp.
e.g. my friends game on Tuesday showed up on golflink as follows:

G.A Handicap before the game: 5.4
Handicapping Score: 42
DSR: 63
Scratch Rating: 66
Slope Rating: 120
Par: 68
Daily Handicap: 6
Adjusted Gross: 68
Played To: 4.7
New GA Handicap: 5.5

Basically he scored even par off the stick still ended up with 4.7 Played to
Is it a curse or blessing?

DSR 5 shots under par sure makes getting your handicap down a bit difficult. Have to hit 41 points just to hit to hc.

Hatchman
3rd February 2014, 03:04 PM
What is the ACR?

markTHEblake
3rd February 2014, 06:39 PM
DSR 5 shots under par sure makes getting your handicap down a bit difficult

why?

A DSR of 5 shots under par means that the course is 5 shots easier than another that had a DSR of even.

Daves
4th February 2014, 09:56 AM
I have just ticked down 0.1 on the GA Handicap At 11.7. I will now play of 12 (12.42) off our Blue Markers (120), and off 13 (13.05) off our Black Markers (126).

Scifisicko
4th February 2014, 10:18 AM
We had a day the other day where only 4 players out of 52 broke the SR (39,38,36,36 points), yet the DSR was 2 shots under the SR. Only 4 of 52 played to their DH or better yet the DSR was 2 shots harder than the SR. Bloody confusing.

BGH
4th February 2014, 10:45 AM
We had a day the other day where only 4 players out of 52 broke the SR (39,38,36,36 points), yet the DSR was 2 shots under the SR. Only 4 of 52 played to their DH or better yet the DSR was 2 shots harder than the SR. Bloody confusing.

This is one of the things I find most peculiar about the new system as well. Would be interested to know how the DSR is calculated.

Slothman
4th February 2014, 12:08 PM
This is one of the things I find most peculiar about the new system as well. Would be interested to know how the DSR is calculated.

http://www.golf.org.au/default.aspx?s=iframepage&iframe=http://golfadmin.performaustralia.com.au/site/_content/document/00015547-source.pdf

Wrap your laughing gear around that little puppy :)

BGH
4th February 2014, 12:38 PM
http://www.golf.org.au/default.aspx?s=iframepage&iframe=http://golfadmin.performaustralia.com.au/site/_content/document/00015547-source.pdf

Wrap your laughing gear around that little puppy :)

Thanks for that.

Now I see that it is simply a matter of

THE ABOVE CAN BE EXPRESSED IN A SINGLE FORMULA AS FOLLOWS:
DSR = SR + SUM{(36+Par-SR-CPA-mh-b-S)/(m'h+b')2} / {SUM(1/(m'h+b')2) +
1/CSD2}

graham_w
4th February 2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for that.

Now I see that it is simply a matter of

THE ABOVE CAN BE EXPRESSED IN A SINGLE FORMULA AS FOLLOWS:
DSR = SR + SUM{(36+Par-SR-CPA-mh-b-S)/(m'h+b')2} / {SUM(1/(m'h+b')2) +
1/CSD2}

So what's the answer?

Dotty
4th February 2014, 01:03 PM
So what's the answer?

timah!
4th February 2014, 01:08 PM
So what's the answer?

x

graham_w
4th February 2014, 01:10 PM
The answer is DSR.

Slothman
4th February 2014, 01:40 PM

ROFLMAO....

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

markTHEblake
4th February 2014, 01:50 PM
We had a day the other day where only 4 players out of 52 broke the SR (39,38,36,36 points), yet the DSR was 2 shots under the SR. Only 4 of 52 played to their DH or better yet the DSR was 2 shots harder than the SR. Bloody confusing.Why is it confusing? Obviously the DSR takes into account more than just the 4 best scores. Without looking at the formula it likely takes mean averages into account for a start

Slothman
4th February 2014, 02:30 PM
It takes into account a LOT of things.

The thing that stops "figuring it out in your head" is the fact the formula also uses normalised and standard deviation scores from past historical data (lots and lots of data).

This is to essentially allow for changing statistics in the future (major assumption on my part there). However the goal is to compare actual scores with expected scores....as soon as you start doing that...it just gets messy.

So lets say that 4 achieved Handicap as above, it could have been EXPECTING only 2. Add to that the standard best 8 in 20 could have had a good score drop out of the 20, essentially replacing good with good.

Mind you...that is one mighty fine formula and I have been mucking around with and guesstimating what could happen....its pretty cool :)

Scifisicko
4th February 2014, 02:47 PM
....So lets say that 4 achieved Handicap as above, it could have been EXPECTING only 2....

How does it expect anything? There are no inputs for conditions.

3Puttpete
4th February 2014, 02:59 PM
How does it expect anything? There are no inputs for conditions.

But there are 100,000 rounds in golflink for a golfer on that course with that handicap off those tees. It'll have a pretty good idea of the likely score. Extremes will occur now and then but over time the expectations will be fairly accurate

Daves
9th February 2014, 02:11 PM
I see the Slope ratings listings have been updated with 9 hole ratings.

Slothman
18th February 2014, 12:22 AM
Bugger. Looks like they had to redo my round submitted Saturday. I thought the DSR was a tad generous.

So instead of 9.9 only 10.2. Still lowest ever but was so happy when I thought it was single digit.

Damn you golflink and your teasing ways :)

WBennett
18th February 2014, 08:54 AM
Bugger. Looks like they had to redo my round submitted Saturday. I thought the DSR was a tad generous.

So instead of 9.9 only 10.2. Still lowest ever but was so happy when I thought it was single digit.

Damn you golflink and your teasing ways :)

And that is what I don't like.

Single Figure handicapper up the new system is the old '12 marker'

I was glad i got to singles before the system changed.

simmsy
18th February 2014, 09:08 AM
I reckon the term "single marker" is probably more like a 7 marker now maybe a 6. 9.4 now is more like an 11 maybe even 12.
It's taken away that "I want to reach singles by years end" because a 9 now is nowhere near as good a golfer as a 9, 5 year ago.

BronsonMarc
18th February 2014, 09:16 AM
It takes into account a LOT of things.

The thing that stops "figuring it out in your head" is the fact the formula also uses normalised and standard deviation scores from past historical data (lots and lots of data).

Like all good statistics, they can be made to show 'anything'....

hocko
18th February 2014, 09:41 AM
I reckon the term "single marker" is probably more like a 7 marker now maybe a 6. 9.4 now is more like an 11 maybe even 12.
It's taken away that "I want to reach singles by years end" because a 9 now is nowhere near as good a golfer as a 9, 5 year ago.

True and the new system makes no real difference to those guys who only play at their home track.
True single figure players will play to their handicap anywhere.
Just like me at Woody and RM?

simmsy
18th February 2014, 10:32 AM
Yep. RM showed me how good I actually am.

Ashes
18th February 2014, 11:55 AM
Yep. RM showed me how good I actually am.

What did you shoot?

PeteyD
18th February 2014, 12:16 PM
3 points for me. Woohoo!

Scifisicko
18th February 2014, 01:24 PM
Our new DSRs are stuffed, you had to shoot 5 under to play to scratch on Saturday. I guess its like resetting the fuel economy on a car, you dont get an accurate reading until you have done a few miles....? Or am i way off....

graham_w
18th February 2014, 02:52 PM
According to golflink they have millions of prior rounds they are using to calculate the DSR. So if it's not accurate now it never will be.

rubin
18th February 2014, 04:14 PM
I reckon the term "single marker" is probably more like a 7 marker now maybe a 6. 9.4 now is more like an 11 maybe even 12. It's taken away that "I want to reach singles by years end" because a 9 now is nowhere near as good a golfer as a 9, 5 year ago.

That would be the same thought history though.

A 5 marker from 15 years ago would be worlds ahead of a 5 marker today.

simmsy
18th February 2014, 04:20 PM
Exactly

simmsy
18th February 2014, 04:21 PM
What did you shoot?

You don't want me to go there

Ashes
18th February 2014, 04:23 PM

Does this mean I'm even more shit?

Shadesy
18th February 2014, 04:35 PM
I reckon the term "single marker" is probably more like a 7 marker now maybe a 6. 9.4 now is more like an 11 maybe even 12. It's taken away that "I want to reach singles by years end" because a 9 now is nowhere near as good a golfer as a 9, 5 year ago.

Does it though. I did an exercise at year and showed under the old system using current ACR's I was exactly the same cap under the new system...

And most were give or take 0.5 or half a shot?

PeteyD
18th February 2014, 04:47 PM
I think people forget you go out just as easily, so maintaining the 5 marker is a lot harder than it used to be.

simmsy
18th February 2014, 04:58 PM
I think it is way easier to come down. There is no way me shooting 38points under the old system would I have lost 0.7 of a shot. If memory serves me correct I think it would of been 0.4.

PeteyD
18th February 2014, 04:59 PM
It is definitely easier to move. Up and down. Which makes it harder to maintain I think. We also have to get used to the slope and how that changes the calculations. My Melbourne rounds have had a fairly major effect due to higher slope etc. It is an interesting system.

simmsy
18th February 2014, 05:01 PM
And certainly no way I would of come in 0.2 for shooting 33points.

Slothman
18th February 2014, 05:03 PM
Yes, the new system rewards consistency.

That one out of the world round will not put you unrealistically low (once you have more than 20 rounds recorded) however you will need to maintain a certain level to keep your handicap constant.

I actually like a lot about the new system, of course got to give it a few months to iron out the programming bugs.

WBennett
18th February 2014, 05:06 PM
Assuming I find no form in the next two months, I could go from 6.1 to 11.1 VERY quickly. Given the course plays a lot harder when wet and cold in winter, this is quite realistic...

Ashes
18th February 2014, 05:07 PM
Given the course plays a lot harder when wet and cold in winter, this is quite realistic...

Isn't this what DSR is supposed to fix?

PeteyD
18th February 2014, 05:23 PM
And certainly no way I would of come in 0.2 for shooting 33points.

Nope. Would have been 0.1 out. So you are 0.3 better off ;)

simmsy
18th February 2014, 05:24 PM
Life is easier in doubles though.

Shadesy
18th February 2014, 05:32 PM
I think it is way easier to come down. There is no way me shooting 38points under the old system would I have lost 0.7 of a shot. If memory serves me correct I think it would of been 0.4.

What if that 38 points was replacing a 36 points? Then you would come down 0.2

Swings and roundabouts.

rubin
18th February 2014, 06:18 PM
What if that 38 points was replacing a 36 points? Then you would come down 0.2

Swings and roundabouts.

after doing some quick maths a few weeks ago, it is going to be far easier for me to come in a few shots with a few ok days, than go out with some bad days.

Yossarian
18th February 2014, 06:24 PM
If you actually played golf you mean.

rubin
18th February 2014, 06:25 PM
If you actually played golf you mean.

pretty much.

Hatchman
18th February 2014, 06:58 PM
That would be the same thought history though.

A 5 marker from 15 years ago would be worlds ahead of a 5 marker today.

Have you been on 5 now or 15 years ago to know if this is true or are you just making it up?

rubin
18th February 2014, 08:14 PM
Have you been on 5 now or 15 years ago to know if this is true or are you just making it up?

given its an immeasurable possibility - it was an opinion.

markTHEblake
18th February 2014, 08:33 PM
Have you been on 5 now or 15 years ago to know if this is true or are you just making it up? It is a load of shit. A 5 marker of 30 years ago is miles ahead of a 5 marker today.

Shadesy
18th February 2014, 08:43 PM
It is a load of shit. A 5 marker of 30 years ago is miles ahead of a 5 marker today.

Based on...?

simmsy
18th February 2014, 09:21 PM
Given his and a heap of other exp golfers opinions and the utter lack of anyone being able to easily decipher the new system.

simmsy
18th February 2014, 09:25 PM
Surely you don't think it's the same heaf

WBennett
18th February 2014, 10:19 PM
Isn't this what DSR is supposed to fix? Supposedly. Our acr has been 73 for the last few years. Dsr has been 71 or 72 for the last month. Will be interesting what happens when the ball goes 40m less off the tee.

Shadesy
18th February 2014, 10:22 PM
Surely you don't think it's the same heaf I wouldn't believe it but the numbers don't lie. I doubt too many would be a shot lower of their current handicap using the old system. Maybe a lot higher.

Maybe you old boys memories are fading and think it's harder because it was the "good ol days"?

markTHEblake
18th February 2014, 11:29 PM
Based on...?Experience.

Hatchman
19th February 2014, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't believe it but the numbers don't lie. I doubt too many would be a shot lower of their current handicap using the old system. Maybe a lot higher.

Maybe you old boys memories are fading and think it's harder because it was the "good ol days"?

Yeah.
The good old "The older I get the better I was syndrome"

Rodent
19th February 2014, 01:34 PM
Even discounting the changes to handicapping, a 5 marker of yesteryear played with inferior equipment to his 5 marker counterpart today. The 5 marker of yesteryear had to be more skilfull, surely.

backintheswing
19th February 2014, 01:57 PM
I know for a fact that the course where I grew up and played at say 30 years ago is a lot tougher now than then.

I was 16 30 years ago and probably off 3 at my home track.

Now I am off 5 at the same course.

I would say the course is 3-4 shots harder at least. Factors influencing this :

Fairway bunkering
Green side bunkering
Tree planting, 1000's of the bastards
Fairway watering to reduce run
Lengthening of holes

I know for a fact that when I was a kid, they played the Qld Close here and the winning score was a pair of 65's. The pros last year shot -12 for 4 rounds last year, so nowhere near that.

LeftyHoges
19th February 2014, 02:01 PM
I'm not buying into the whole 'old 5 marker' used to better than a 'current 5 marker' because a current 5 marker doesn't necessarily exist anymore.

When you got down to 5 it used to take you 5, 6, 7 whatever rounds to get back out to 6. Now you can get back out in one round.

I'm finding a lot of players that were 3-4-5 markers under the old system that play off 2-3, but then 6 weeks later are back off 5 and 6. Their form patches come and go and they can easily move 4 shots in a 3 month period.

I think the lowest I got under the old system was 3.3, the lowest I've been under the new is 1.5. But I've never been higher than 4.8 under the current system (was it brought in 1 September, 2008?) so really all it's showing to me is that it's easier for a guy to drop down to his lowest, but they spend bugger all time at that level before going back out to where they should be or higher. The 'old vs new' shouldn't exist because very few people keep the same cap for more than 3 rounds, unlike the old system.

Johnny Canuck
19th February 2014, 02:25 PM
I know for a fact that the course where I grew up and played at say 30 years ago is a lot tougher now than then.

I was 16 30 years ago and probably off 3 at my home track.

Now I am off 5 at the same course.

I would say the course is 3-4 shots harder at least. Factors influencing this :

Fairway bunkering
Green side bunkering
Tree planting, 1000's of the bastards
Fairway watering to reduce run
Lengthening of holes

I know for a fact that when I was a kid, they played the Qld Close here and the winning score was a pair of 65's. The pros last year shot -12 for 4 rounds last year, so nowhere near that.

Agreed. Greens would be much faster, in my opinion.

Hatchman
19th February 2014, 03:15 PM
Even discounting the changes to handicapping, a 5 marker of yesteryear played with inferior equipment to his 5 marker counterpart today. The 5 marker of yesteryear had to be more skilfull, surely.

The only way to know that would be for a test group to play with the old clubs and balls for a serries of weeks/months or even a year.
The results would be facinating.

PeteyD
19th February 2014, 03:23 PM
Courses are different too though, with better irrigation and better greens etc.

Hatchman
19th February 2014, 06:31 PM
Courses are different too though, with better irrigation and better greens etc.

Not all courses.

My home course where I learnt and played most of my golf is in worse condition now than what it was in the 80-90's.
I can think of a few others that are in worse nick as well.

One thing that has stood out is that most newer and redeveloped courses have greens much bigger in size than they were years ago.

markTHEblake
19th February 2014, 09:54 PM
Not all courses.

of course there are exceptions to every generalisation, but all the new courses in my part of the world are all a hellava lot harder than the ones I learnt to play on, which have also become harder.

Hatchman
20th February 2014, 12:32 PM
Just checked my Goflink and even thou I disqualified myself by not going back to hit another ball on a hole it has recorded an actual score against my round.
I'm guessing I have been given a nett triple for the hole as score by the new system because my card was still handed in?

Slothman
20th February 2014, 02:14 PM
Just checked my Goflink and even thou I disqualified myself by not going back to hit another ball on a hole it has recorded an actual score against my round.
I'm guessing I have been given a nett triple for the hole as score by the new system because my card was still handed in?

Nope. It calculates your scores back to Stableford so that bad hole represents a wipe. If you take an NR on the first hole, keep playing and recording, it goes towards your handicap.

This is where electronic systems that record a hole by hole will be more accurate than a small country club that just enters final scores.....assuming that is how smaller non "electronic systems" work...

Hatchman
20th February 2014, 03:21 PM
I think the wipes are recorded a no worse than nett triple.
My last 3 rounds have all been stroke and I've had worse than a triple in all of them. All the scores are showing 1-2 shots lower than what I actually shot off the stick.

Slothman
20th February 2014, 03:41 PM
Yeh that would be correct.

Not sure on your handicap so here is an example of how I believe it is meant to be handled for an electronic lodgement of per hole scores.

Assume Daily Handicap of 18 (easier as its one shot per hole).

Lets also assume the player hits to their Handicap on every hole except one. So that is 34 points. Lets say that last hole is a wipe (triple bogey as they get a shot). The recorded score is 34 points. Lets go one step further and say the score for that last hole is 20...extreme but it highlights what I am trying to say. That would be around 100+ depending on course etc. The recorded score is still 34 points...for handicapping purposes. On Golflink that is the first column "handicapping score".

If the score entry system is done on a hole by hole basis, this is how it is meant to work. For clubs that just enter final scores, I am not sure how it is handled. I would assume 2 ways.

- Take stroke score and convert back to stableford using Net scores.
- Have players/captain/scorekeeper calcualate Stableford scores for entry.

Purely guessing there :)

Remember before it was converted back to stroke, so when you played stroke, there was no conversion...what you got is what you got. Par/Stableford etc where converted back to equivalent Stroke. Now we go the other way.

Steve57
20th February 2014, 03:51 PM
Yeh that would be correct.

Not sure on your handicap so here is an example of how I believe it is meant to be handled for an electronic lodgement of per hole scores.

Assume Daily Handicap of 18 (easier as its one shot per hole).

Lets also assume the player hits to their Handicap on every hole except one. So that is 34 points. Lets say that last hole is a wipe (triple bogey as they get a shot). The recorded score is 34 points. Lets go one step further and say the score for that last hole is 20...extreme but it highlights what I am trying to say. That would be around 100+ depending on course etc. The recorded score is still 34 points...for handicapping purposes. On Golflink that is the first column "handicapping score".

If the score entry system is done on a hole by hole basis, this is how it is meant to work. For clubs that just enter final scores, I am not sure how it is handled. I would assume 2 ways.

- Take stroke score and convert back to stableford using Net scores.
- Have players/captain/scorekeeper calcualate Stableford scores for entry.

Purely guessing there :)

Remember before it was converted back to stroke, so when you played stroke, there was no conversion...what you got is what you got. Par/Stableford etc where converted back to equivalent Stroke. Now we go the other way.

At our club, we have insisted that all players mark the Stableford scores on their own card for all stroke rounds.
Failure to do so may mean disqualification from the competition.
No way as handicapper am I going to remark all cards as stableford before I enter them!

Slothman
20th February 2014, 04:13 PM
Steve, yep that is the simplest, and what I suggested to the Denmark guys I played with just before the roll out of the new system. They complained about "players not complying"...I suggested they go and get a simple Red circle stamp that gets stamped somewhere on the card (top right) and that is where the Stableford score always gets placed. Competition of the day just gets done like normal. Makes it easier for the poor sods like yourself.

I like your idea about "possible DQ"...do that once or twice they soon wake up :)