PDA

View Full Version : Few feature to look out for!!

goughy
30th January 2006, 05:51 PM
Hey all,

This thread is for pointers to features in the new forum that you may be interested in. If anyone finds anything interesting they can post it here.

Have a look through your UserCP. If your using a slower connection (dare I say dialup) some settings you may be interested in are in the Edit Options menu.

In Visible Post Elements you can choose to not view avatars, signitures and images. May speed things up if you need.You can also change how the forum threads display for you.

Thread Display Mode changes the format a bit, my best suggestion is to change the setting to see if you like it. You can also change this by selecting Display Modes at the top right of a thread. Then scroll down and on the bottom left you can change these settings.

Courty
30th January 2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks Goughy.

Btw, you still have a '\' in the Handicap link in your sig. ;)

Courty
31st January 2006, 10:08 AM
I use Safari which is RSS enabled. Now that vBulletin is installed, the RSS indicator is showing whenever I visit OZGolf.net, but when I click on it I just get an error page. Will RSS be supported?

For those who don't know what RSS is:

Short for RDF Site Summary or Rich Site Summary, an XML format for syndicating Web content. A Web site that wants to allow other sites to publish some of its content creates an RSS document and registers the document with an RSS publisher. A user that can read RSS-distributed content can use the content on a different site. Syndicated content includes such data as news feeds, events listings, news stories, headlines, project updates, excerpts from discussion forums or even corporate information.
RSS was originally developed by Netscape.

No biggie if it won't be used. I don't even know if IE or Firefox are RSS enabled.

AndyP
31st January 2006, 10:15 AM
There is a possibility that we will use RSS feeds on a portal (front page) in the not too distant future.

Courty
31st January 2006, 10:21 AM
Cool. Thanks, AP.

3oneday
31st January 2006, 10:26 AM
it was just blue when I logged in, then went to Green ???

Pete

AndyP
31st January 2006, 10:32 AM
it was just blue when I logged in, then went to Green ???
Probably clikchic trying to fix something.

clikchic
31st January 2006, 02:01 PM
Probably clikchic trying to fix something.

Yup that was me trying to fix the WYSIWYG :-)

AndyP
31st January 2006, 02:29 PM
Try clicking on the Quick Links link at the top of the page. A nice quick way to move around or mark all forums as read if you need to.

brad
31st January 2006, 03:10 PM
How do you add people to your buddy list?

By the way, the updated site looks really good. Congrats!

amanda
31st January 2006, 03:11 PM
mate - you better add me to your buddy list ;)

AndyP
31st January 2006, 03:28 PM
You can do it via the User CP, but I think there is meant to be a button for that in each post.

Courty
31st January 2006, 03:29 PM
How do you add people to your buddy list?

Click on the name of the user you want to add in their profile and a drop-down list appears. One of the items is 'Add user to Buddy list" or something along those lines...

brad
31st January 2006, 03:32 PM
Tried that - didn't seem to work - maybe since I'm not using a mouse today - damn acupoint - but I have a link under miscellaneous "Buddy/Ignore Lists" on the User CP screen that worked fine.

Jarro
31st January 2006, 03:35 PM
we have an ignore function :-s

bye bye Blakey :smt038

AndyP
31st January 2006, 03:36 PM
Click on the name of the user you want to add in their profile and a drop-down list appears. One of the items is 'Add user to Buddy list" or something along those lines...
Wow, that's where it's hidden within the post. Nice!

Thanks for the donations everyone. :-D

AndyP
31st January 2006, 03:37 PM
we have an ignore function :-s
ThomMoe's a big fan of it. Fortunately his ignored mate doesn't post here......yet.

AndyP
31st January 2006, 04:38 PM
Chatroom link added to the main forum index page as a forum. Just click on it as you would to enter a forum normally and it will redirect you to the chatroom.

Jarro
31st January 2006, 04:39 PM
nice work P

Jarro
31st January 2006, 04:44 PM
it doesn't pop up in a seperate window though :confused:

AndyP
31st January 2006, 04:47 PM
it doesn't pop up in a seperate window though :confused:
Then right click on it, and choose open in new window. It's better than nothing anyway. Changing chatrooms will be something that is being looked at or will be.

AndyP
2nd February 2006, 03:23 PM
I have added sub-forums in the OZgolf Champs weekend forum for the 2004 and 2005 Champs threads.
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

I'm not sure whether to move the whole Champs forum into the 1st Tee forum as a sub-forum or not, and whether to make a sub-forum for the Matchplay threads.

Feedback?

AndyP
6th February 2006, 09:36 AM
I have added sub-forums in the OZgolf Champs weekend forum for the 2004 and 2005 Champs threads.

I'm not sure whether to move the whole Champs forum into the 1st Tee forum as a sub-forum or not, and whether to make a sub-forum for the Matchplay threads.

Feedback?
I have decided to delete any threads involving matchplay.

Feedback?

McMw
6th February 2006, 10:12 AM
any chance the quick access links be added to the bottom of the page as well?

I read my posts top to bottom (old posts to new posts), and I have to scroll up to click on one of the links to get back...

cheers...

Courty
6th February 2006, 10:25 AM
any chance the quick access links be added to the bottom of the page as well?

I read my posts top to bottom (old posts to new posts), and I have to scroll up to click on one of the links to get back...

Yeah, good idea. I'll second that one. ;)

Jarro
6th February 2006, 10:27 AM
good idea McMw ;)

AndyP
6th February 2006, 10:45 AM
I don't know, but it is painful.

Even if it was just a button for the new posts link, it would good. Right?

There is a link at the bottom of the page that sends you back to the top though.

Feedback?

McMw
6th February 2006, 12:14 PM
this new forum layout can't allow for it? or just painful?
it was there with the old layout...

AndyP
6th February 2006, 12:18 PM
this new forum layout can't allow for it? or just painful?
it was there with the old layout...
I'm saying not having a link there is painful, as, like yourself, the scrolling to the top uses up my precious time.

The old layout only had it because I added it with a modification.

Whether it is something that can be customised or whether I need to hack some code in, I couldn't tell you ATM.

goughy
6th February 2006, 06:53 PM
Which links are you talking about; the usepcp, new post etc???

McMw
6th February 2006, 07:42 PM
Short cut links like this one that's at the top of the page -> ozgolf.net forums > Forum Talk > Announcements

goughy
7th February 2006, 05:24 AM
so the forum jump box at the bottom is not what your talking about??

Grunt
7th February 2006, 05:42 AM
Goughy, can we get a link to new posts in that lower box?

McMw
7th February 2006, 09:17 AM
so the forum jump box at the bottom is not what your talking about??

nope...

but if it's too much trouble - it's not a worry... :mrgreen:

connico
8th February 2006, 10:21 AM
vbulletin has a feature that you can turn on to pop a msg box when you recieve a private msg, i would to see that turned on....you just dont know unless you look to your top right all the time..

Courty
8th February 2006, 10:24 AM
You can set it in the User CP that you receive an email when you receive a PM, just like you can when someone replies to a post or a subscribed thread...

connico
8th February 2006, 10:26 AM
o..hehe excellent, thanks!

Courty
8th February 2006, 10:29 AM
;) ........

AndyP
8th February 2006, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that receiving the PM notification pop-up is default anyway.

AndyP
8th February 2006, 11:17 AM

Feedback?
Due to overwhelming feedback, I have now moved the Matchplay threads into their own sub-forum within the 1st Tee forum.

AndyP
10th February 2006, 09:35 AM
I've been playing with a few more of the options in admin world.

I changed the default number of posts to view on a page from 10 to 20. Just didn't seem like enough before.

You can also now see who else is viewing a thread at the bottom of the page.

Let me know if there are any probs.

AndyP
10th February 2006, 09:54 AM
Now when a new thread is posted, a bunch of 'similar' threads will be listed at the bottom of the page. This is pretty much the same as what you can see on ISG.

I think it's a cool option, as it digs out some old stuff, which can be interesting reading.