PDA

View Full Version : Bardwell Valley, Sun Feb 26, 8.52-8.59am - matchplays

amanda
30th January 2006, 08:19 AM
Bardwell Valley GC have an open comp on Sundays - a nice neutral place for a round of the NSW matchplay.

Amanda vs Jimandr

No tee time as yet.

Tony - you free to play Brad on the same day?

3oneday
30th January 2006, 08:23 AM
ahhh, Bardwell Valley, still can't believe they fitted 18 holes inthat little space !!!!

amanda
30th January 2006, 08:38 AM
my favourite is the dogleg par 3 :)

TS
30th January 2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Amanda

I am playing Mission Hill on the 26. It is a better golf course than Bardwell Valley, would Brad like to play our match there instead?

TS

amanda
30th January 2006, 10:35 AM
Tony - just send me a PM with your available dates and we'll work something out. Which of the 10 courses are you playing?

TS
30th January 2006, 11:28 AM
Most date in March is fine for me? Pick a date that is suitable for Brad & yourself. Jono is trying to organise a trip to Pacfic Dune, I don't know if you & Brad are interested or not.

TS

amanda
30th January 2006, 03:25 PM
Nah - not interested in a weekend away as we'll have 2 trips that way in Feb. Thanks - I'll PM you with some dates.

jimandr
30th January 2006, 09:43 PM
If I had've drawn Tony I'm sure he would've paid my fare to Mission Hills, then we could play a best of 180 holes match. Imagine winning, or losing, 90 and 89!

I'm a definite starter, and hoping to play B Valley in less than a 30knot breeze this time.

We need some big hitters to join us, so we can see the frustration of them not being able to use the big dogs. Bad course for the driver, but a good test of the rest of your game. Much harder than it looks.

TS
30th January 2006, 10:32 PM
If I had drawn you for the first round, I would be more than happy to take you to Mission Hill.

I did offer to play Brad in Mission Hill, but Amanda knock me back.

jimandr
8th February 2006, 03:02 PM
I rang Bardwell Valley today. The sheet doesn't come out until the weekend. The pro shop person seemed to think our best time to get two groups together (wishful thinking that we'll get 8 players, but you never know) would be about 11.00am. So that's what I'll aim for.

I can still ring and make the booking on Sunday or Monday, even though I'll be down the coast (the beauty of mobiles - cost isn't based on distance). I won't be able to post and confirm the time until next Friday the 17th.

AndyP - how can we move this thread into the matchplay section?

3oneday
8th February 2006, 03:08 PM
I definitely can't play....

Pete

AndyP
8th February 2006, 03:08 PM
AndyP - how can we move this thread into the matchplay section?
By using magic words. I favour 'Hocus Pocus'.

Grunt
8th February 2006, 03:21 PM
I could make it really depends on permission from Rachelle. Am playing alot lately considering no transport.

connico
8th February 2006, 03:21 PM
sunday the 26th?? if i have my handicap by then...ill be there :)

jimandr
17th February 2006, 04:55 PM
I can't edit the heading. We'll need to wait for Amanda's return for her to do that.

But, the booking has been made. Two groups, at 8.52 and 8.59am on Sunday 26 February 2006.

I'll start the list, and others can cut and paste, then add to it.

1. Jimandr
2. Amanda
3. Grunt (to be confirmed, I'll provide a lift)
4. Brad (to be confirmed)

AndyP
17th February 2006, 06:12 PM
I can't edit the heading.
Too easy. Done.

amanda
18th February 2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks Jim. You'll have to count Brad out - he'll be in no condition to even walk that distance.

1. Jimandr
2. Amanda
3. Grunt (to be confirmed, I'll provide a lift)

Grunt
18th February 2006, 02:56 PM
Well I am in, got permission to play both Sat & Sun next week. Will contact jim about a lift if reqd, I may get the right to drive back on Friday.

connico
18th February 2006, 03:48 PM
ill register my interest if i can get my handicap by then, i got 2 cards now...1 more to go for a club hc

Fishman Dan
20th February 2006, 07:03 AM
Conn - pretty sure you will need all 5 before you can play at other clubs.

I missed out on my double-golf weekend this weekend, but i might be able to make this. I'll know in the next day or so.

amanda
20th February 2006, 05:21 PM
1. Jimandr
2. Amanda
3. Grunt (to be confirmed, Jim to provide a lift)
4. Jono

Grunt
22nd February 2006, 05:27 PM
Question for those of you who have played Bardwell Valley before in comp.How is Bardwell Valley for returning cards after playing there?

jimandr
22nd February 2006, 09:19 PM
Amanda can answer your question better than me, but I can report they have a computer that you enter your scores into, exactly the same as at New Brighton. So it should be an automatic process to transfer the scores to golflink.

Dan, Connico, anybody else. Are you in, or out? Ideally, we need either one group of four, or two groups of three (or more).

Fishman Dan
22nd February 2006, 09:26 PM
I'm technically in... but checking with a mate who might be a member there too (is this the course near Bexley?).

jimandr
22nd February 2006, 09:43 PM
I'm technically in... but checking with a mate who might be a member there too (is this the course near Bexley?).

Yes, it is. The turnoff for us M5 users is onto Bexley Road and left turn half way up the hill to Bexley.

connico
22nd February 2006, 09:59 PM
can i caddie for someone? :)

Jono
22nd February 2006, 11:55 PM
can i caddie for someone? :)

Hell, yeah! I'll even give you a percentage of my earnings ... :mrgreen:

It might be a negative figure though ...

connico
23rd February 2006, 06:44 AM
well since i cant play as i dont have my HC yet, lets negotiate :) what kind of percentage are we talking???

Grunt
23rd February 2006, 07:01 AM
well if he does not win which I think is a big chance then it really doesn't matter what % you are getting cause even if you on 50% you will still get 0 (50% of 0 = 0)

connico
23rd February 2006, 07:08 AM
lol hmm thats not a good thing, but atleast there is a chance of earning...lol

Trung
23rd February 2006, 07:18 AM
lol hmm thats not a good thing, but atleast there is a chance of earning...lol

Jono should provide you with free a lunch + drinks after the round. :smt002

connico
23rd February 2006, 07:19 AM
i like the cut of your jib there trung thats an excellent idea lol

Jono
23rd February 2006, 09:35 AM
well if he does not win which I think is a big chance then it really doesn't matter what % you are getting cause even if you on 50% you will still get 0 (50% of 0 = 0)

Mate, I'm still waiting for you to pay up from the skins game at Kogarah ... :roll: :lol:

Grunt
23rd February 2006, 09:37 AM
What do I owe you? I thought it must have sorted itself out, I went to pay Jarro and he said it was sorted.

Jono
23rd February 2006, 09:39 AM
i like the cut of your jib there trung thats an excellent idea lol

Lunch and drinks it is ... 8)

Plus 50% of my earnings if there are any side games ... ;)

Grunt
23rd February 2006, 09:41 AM
I will give you the $4 I owe you if the other guys sorted out there skins. See you Sunday Jono.

Jono
23rd February 2006, 09:41 AM
What do I owe you? I thought it must have sorted itself out, I went to pay Jarro and he said it was sorted.

Don't worry mate. ;) Another game of skins this Sunday? 8) Or we could do $5 each nine and overall score.

Grunt
23rd February 2006, 09:46 AM
Depends if the others in the group are in it too I guess.

connico
23rd February 2006, 10:17 AM
lol so i guess im Jonos ***** on sunday, you sure you want me as caddie i might susceptible to bribes lol hehe

Fishman Dan
23rd February 2006, 11:12 AM
I'm officially in.

Just waiting to hear back from a mate who is a member there i think (Darren - played with us at Fox Hills a while back) to see if we can fill that second group.

Fishman Dan
23rd February 2006, 11:13 AM
1. Jimandr
2. Amanda
4. Jono
==========
5. Dan
6. [Darren?]
7. ??

Jono
23rd February 2006, 11:26 AM
Dan,

If your mate can not make it, and we have 5 people, I'll drop out. I'm pushing it to make it anyway and it's much better to have a group of 4 than two groups of 3 and 2.

Fishman Dan
23rd February 2006, 11:31 AM
There's incentive!! :D

If he's a member there and knows others he might be able to fill the gaps.

Trung
23rd February 2006, 11:38 AM
Dan,

If your mate can not make it, and we have 5 people, I'll drop out. I'm pushing it to make it anyway and it's much better to have a group of 4 than two groups of 3 and 2.

Attending shed building seminar?

jimandr
23rd February 2006, 10:11 PM
well since i cant play as i dont have my HC yet, lets negotiate :) what kind of percentage are we talking???

This might be totally against the spirit of golf, (and particularly OzGolf), but you could pretend to be one of my Camden Valley mates and play as him. He won't mind getting point one back. If you shoot better than 19 over you may have to DQ yourself.

Would others be horrified by such a suggestion, or happy to let Connico play under an alias?

connico
23rd February 2006, 10:43 PM
lol i like it muahaha :)

Fishman Dan
24th February 2006, 06:41 AM
More than happy to play.... as long as he's not slow ;) :D

Grunt
24th February 2006, 06:54 AM
That mean you are coming too Dan?

AndyP
24th February 2006, 07:49 AM
This might be totally against the spirit of golf, (and particularly OzGolf), but you could pretend to be one of my Camden Valley mates and play as him.
Not against the OZgolf spirit at all, it's been done several times.

drunken
24th February 2006, 08:04 AM
I have two golflink cards for some reason...I should loan one out

Trung
24th February 2006, 08:20 AM
JIM, is your mate Asian? ;)

3oneday
24th February 2006, 08:21 AM
JIM, is your mate Asian? ;)hehe, if his name is John Smith you might have a problem !!!!

:lol:

connico
24th February 2006, 09:05 AM
i could have been adopted :)

still what silly white folk would want to adopt me lol :)

connico
24th February 2006, 09:06 AM
and ill be happy to fill in any gaps if there are nay :)

amanda
24th February 2006, 10:35 AM
Brad has decided that he wants to play

1. Jimandr
2. Amanda
4. Jono
==========
5. Dan
6. [Darren?]
7. Brad
8. Connico (disguised as Jim's mate)

connico
24th February 2006, 10:54 AM
puts on his cloak and dagger :smt108

so bradwell in the morning ill be there by 8:30 chipping :)

Grunt
24th February 2006, 11:02 AM
Connico I think the practice putting green is out of action, by all the web links to the course it is.

connico
24th February 2006, 11:12 AM
hmm well ill be there just before tee off them lol :)

Grunt
24th February 2006, 11:13 AM
The 1st is a warm up hole mate, but you have to hit it right, short is dead and so is long!

connico
24th February 2006, 11:23 AM
lol sounds interesting lol...hhaha, short is dead..ill be using the blades..wonder how dead i will be lol

Grunt
24th February 2006, 08:17 PM
I in and I can drive myself WOO HOO.

jimandr
24th February 2006, 09:36 PM
i could have been adopted :)

still what silly white folk would want to adopt me lol :)

Trust me. I work for the government and I'm here to help.

My memory of the Bardwell Valley set-up is that they are very low key. They are happy to have visitors playing in their comp, and don't do much checking.

When I get there (about 8.30) I'll pay for two players, and quote a membership number. Connico can simply pay me back and perhaps purchase the first shout at the 19th.

This should be really good. I haven't seen Dan for a while, and I'll be very interested in Jono's views of the course. I suspect Jono won't have seen anything like BValley before.

Fishman Dan
25th February 2006, 07:30 AM
1. Jimandr
2. Amanda
4. Jono
==========
5. Dan
6. Darren - Confirmed
7. Brad
8. Connico (disguised as Jim's mate)

Keen as mustard. Should be a good day!

Ok, just to get one thing straightened out - what's the comp on the day? Connico, how are you for scoring, i.e. do you know how to do it (sorry, has to be asked). What should be done in regards to him marking a card. I'm guessing Darren and I will mark each others cards, unless of course there's a best-ball.

connico
25th February 2006, 11:53 AM
yeah im fine for scoring, only one i dont really get is par play, dont understand why they say 1/2 when they mean a 0...does a 1/2 give no change to your + rating???

jimandr
25th February 2006, 05:17 PM
I guess we'll find out what the comp is when we get there, but last Sunday it was a 4bbb and an individual stableford. I'd suggest Fishy and Darren form one team and Brad and "K Roberts of Camden Valley, handicap 20" form the other partnership.

Just in case Amanda has been planning her strategy, I should advise her that I've got a shot back, now off 7, so I'll only be giving away 14 strokes. I just hope the shot is on one of those "par 4 for men but par 5 for ladies" holes. It's tough giving away two shots on a hole.

Fishman Dan
25th February 2006, 05:53 PM
Jim - take heart in knowing a bloke at Gordon today had to give 21 shots to his opponent. 3 vs 24 marker.

I shouldn't tell you any more ;)

Trung
25th February 2006, 08:29 PM
have fun tomorrow morning...... sounds like a great day...

Fishman Dan
25th February 2006, 09:30 PM
Better throw in a disclaimer now - i'm pretty sure i'm staying up to watch Carlton (win, lose or draw) play tonight, so i might be a little tired and emotional tomorrow morning!

terryand
26th February 2006, 01:21 PM
I had to give a-Lo 21 shots last year.It is possible.

Terry.

amanda
26th February 2006, 02:09 PM
Congrats to Jim who won on the 20th hole. It was a tough contest with Jim only going to a 2up lead and me clawing it back slowly. Just ran out of steam at the end - though I managed to hit 3 almost identical shots on 18, 19 & 20 - however - they were all bad shots! Glad to be beaten by the NSW Champ :)

jimandr
26th February 2006, 03:10 PM
Scores for the day first.

Amanda 41 points (we'll be looking for a name in the paper tomorrow)
Brad 36
Jimandr 35
Fishman Dan 33
Jono 33
Grunt 32.

Connico shot 22 over par. As he hasn't got a handicap yet he isn't eligible for prizemoney, but I suspect that will turn out to about 36 points.

Firstly, I think Amanda and I set OzGolf history by being the first match to go extra holes. With no real guideline, we were lucky that the 18th is a par 3, and the second group was behind us, so there was no big deal to join them, go back to the tee and play the hole again. When I made a pressure-packed sand save to square the hole, we had to decide. Again, there was no group following up, so we went back to play it again. This time Amanda folded under pressure, for the second time on the same hole, to make my regulation par good enough.

We had agreed that if it was squared again, we'd wait for another OzGolf day to complete the match.

Readers may wonder how one player can record 41 points (and play very well) yet be square in a matchplay with a 35 point score. Well, I was giving Amanda 15 shots. A number of times she recorded pars against my bogeys, thus getting three pointers against my one point, and then there was the 16th.

16 is a dog leg par 4 for men, and a par 5 for women off the same tee. I hit my ball left off the tee, and never found it, so I recorded an automatic wipe. In the highlight of the day, Amanda chipped in for birdie, on a hole indexed 4, so she received two shots. 4/5 versus a wipe!

Apart from that there weren't many genuine highlights. I got an early lead, Amanda had a hot par streak to win 4 holes out of 5, she had a bit of a cold streak where I won 3 in a row, then she had another hot streak. I had pars and lost two holes in a row, then lost my ball against her birdie.

In our group, Jono and Grunt were good company as always, but both were a bit short of their best golf. Grunt had a a hit the pin and somehow stay out chip from a very difficult position, and Jono had a chip-in birdie on 17, then did an Amanda dance.

Bardwell Valley was in awful condition. Anyone would think it hasn't rained for six months. Many fairways were nearly grassless, and they have lost the grass from parts of at least six greens. Very disappointing.

Fishman Dan
26th February 2006, 03:38 PM
A good day out. Connico will be a player to watch. He hit the Raven blades well all day, but will be dangerous when he's sussed a short game ;)

I had 33 annoying points - 21 & 12. 5 putts for the first 5 holes (including a 4/2 on the 3rd which was a reload off the tee!). Short game was great and sank a few decent putts. First shot i don't get a hole, i'm on for 1 and 3-putt for a solid 4/1.

Back 9 the short game and putting desserted me.

Bardwell Valley needs some rain asap, or it might blow away on the next windy day.

amanda
26th February 2006, 04:20 PM
Bardwell Valley needs some rain asap, or it might blow away on the next windy day.
I think I carried away about a bucketful of dirt just stuck to my legs (bloody sunscreen)

Grunt
26th February 2006, 04:22 PM
Could very well be Sydneys answer to the Grand Canyon soon if we don't get any rain.

connico
26th February 2006, 04:38 PM
talking about a grand canyons....

I had an ok day, like Dan did say i was hitting well off the tee with the irons, driver was very average where i used it... but highlights for me would be the 9th where i took the wrong iron, 8 if you want to know...and proceeded to hit a draw into the right side bunker...where i found my ball in the midst of a mini canyon, 5cm wide and about 3-5 cm deep...yes i was impressed... it ran the whole length of the bunker....

2nd highlight was on the 13th..where i hit a nice low drive...unfortunately it was sitting on the side of a small knoll...so i proceeded to 7 iron it to the elevated tee area for the 12 hole... ;)

Grunt
26th February 2006, 04:49 PM
Good to meet you Anthony/Ken/Kevin.
I played with my club setup last night deciding to take no driver or 3i and played with 4 wedges. It was the right combination for the course in my honest opinion, the 2i-wood was great on the mid length par 4's actually out driving drivers sometimes.;)
To be honest that had nothing to do with my bad ballstriking. Did have some good shots but to be honest most of them were from poor position by poor shots preceeding them. Will have to get back there to try the set up again, next summer after a wet winter gets the course back to the lush green conditions that I have seen it in the times that I have played it before.

Jono
26th February 2006, 04:56 PM
... and Jono had a chip-in birdie on 17, then did an Amanda dance.

That's a euphamistic term for basically jumping around the green with my arms in the air, screaming my tits off ... :shock: :mrgreen:

Fun day, guys ... the match between Jim and Amanda was exciting to watch.

Didn't mind Bardwell Valley too much. It brought back some memories from my high school days when I used to play muck around golf at Chatswood Golf Club. Very similar courses ...

I agree that they need to get some water on the fairways ... quick.

AndyP
26th February 2006, 06:50 PM
Well done, Jim. Good start to your title defence.

35 points beating 41 points in matchplay is a little freaky though.

Sorry to shatter your dream about having an OZgolf game go to extra holes. I've mentioned one from last year in another thread. BrisVegas has also had to replay a whole match.

Andrew
26th February 2006, 07:05 PM
Well done Jim & well done Amanda. I'm not sure whether you both won or both lost, but one thing that I do know - Golf was the winner.

3oneday
26th February 2006, 08:34 PM
Pi$$ing down now, Bardwell Valley will be pleased by the sounds of it !!!

Nice reports.

Pete

Jono
26th February 2006, 11:35 PM
One more thing. Amanda won a nice bottle of red from the Hunter Valley which was the first prize kindly donated by Dan the Fishman. 8) Well done.

amanda
27th February 2006, 08:25 AM
Yes - thanks Fishy :) Will be buying some nice scotch fillet steaks tonight to celebrate the handicap drop (Brad's 36 pts lost him 0.3 and I am now officially down to 20!)- the red should go with it very nicely :D

brad
27th February 2006, 12:39 PM
... Brad's 36 pts lost him 0.3 ...

Wooohoooooooooo :-D

jimandr
27th February 2006, 09:36 PM
Regrettably, someone else's name is in todays paper with 43 points in the women's event, so Amanda doesn't have to make a special trip to collect a prize within six weeks and one day (actually, I might post a separate thread in golf talk about collecting prizes from other clubs).

Brad's a man of few words (one word actually).

We perhaps should give him a lot of credit for recording a good score in one of his first games back after six months off with shoulder surgery, and then recovering from pneumonia. Well done!

Fishman Dan
27th February 2006, 09:57 PM
Pi$$ing down now, Bardwell Valley will be pleased by the sounds of it !!!

Nice reports.

Pete

The irony is that so much rain will probably wash away much of the soil (dust?), so it probably wasn't the best dose of rain :roll:

Some is better than none i guess.

No probs about the wine. Jono can take credit too - i was actually paying off some debts to him in the way of very reasonable golf gear pricing, and gave him the choice of a couple of bottles, the other was left for the golfer of the day.

Enjoy Amanda - and i'll take you all to Peterson's next Hunter visit. Best reds in the region.

brad
28th February 2006, 12:10 PM
Brad's a man of few words (one word actually).

We perhaps should give him a lot of credit for recording a good score in one of his first games back after six months off with shoulder surgery, and then recovering from pneumonia. Well done!

In an effort to change my image a little .... ahem ... Thanks Jim.:)