PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 13 January

dunteachin
15th January 2014, 07:11 PM
-1 in a par comp. First time for many years playing off 15 and was quite pleased. Putting so-so (got a few, missed a few more) and left a couple out there. A bit disappointed after getting back to square on the 17th and then pulling my drive on the 18th right into the shite. Lipped out for the square. Now down to 14.5 and chasing 13 this year.

BenM
15th January 2014, 08:14 PM
37 points today. Stats. (http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/15-20827466-20827494)

Still not hitting anywhere near enough fairways and I struggled a bit with the new irons, and also had 3 stupid 3 putts (including 1 and 18). So it'd be fair to say I didn't hit play that well but the good shots outweighed the bad ones for a change. It was nice after a stupid wipe on 9 and finishing on 16 points for the front, instead of falling in a heap like usual I managed to shoot 2 over round the back with birdies on 10 and 14.

Still anchored!!

Hope I can get another hit in on Friday before the trip to Barny on the weekend, I'll need to keep it straight there... driver might even stay in the bag.

Yossarian
15th January 2014, 08:52 PM
A return to form at the Royale.

37 pts.

28 putts.

1 wipe. :(

Kept my shape well and reaped the rewards.

BenM
15th January 2014, 09:35 PM
The merge fairy has visited, thankyou for fixing our screw ups.

Well done Yoss. Score of champions. But I don't think you should talk about your shape, female OzGolfers might get excited.

AndyP
15th January 2014, 09:41 PM
The merge fairy has visited, thankyou for fixing our screw ups.

Well done Yoss. Score of champions. But I don't think you should talk about your shape, female OzGolfers might get excited.And plenty of male golfers too.

WBennett
15th January 2014, 09:52 PM
Good to see some form returning Ben. Off anchor I see you as the Champs dark horse

AndyP
15th January 2014, 10:19 PM
His main concern may be getting in a punch-up over jingling pockets.

WBennett
15th January 2014, 10:20 PM
Is he for or against jiggling?

BenM
15th January 2014, 10:27 PM
Is he for or against jiggling?

I am pro-jingle.

And thanks. Nice to play to handicap a couple of times recently, helps the confidence a bit.

oldracer
16th January 2014, 12:02 PM
Finally got to get at least 9 holes in, Thursday chicken run, 6.30am tee off, amazingly down the middle at last. Hit 4/7 fairways, putted like a muppet, not a GIR but managed to get up and down a couple of times. 45 still no HC as yet but that's about where I want to start 15-18, new bats feel nice

Coldtopper
16th January 2014, 12:39 PM
Finally got to get at least 9 holes in, Thursday chicken run, 6.30am tee off, amazingly down the middle at last. Hit 4/7 fairways, putted like a muppet, not a GIR but managed to get up and down a couple of times. 45 still no HC as yet but that's about where I want to start 15-18, new bats feel nice Any scratchs on the new sticks ?

oldracer
16th January 2014, 12:44 PM
Any scratchs on the new sticks ?Don't think so CT, had to go sideways once but hit it thin and saved the shine :D

jimandr
17th January 2014, 09:24 PM
There was no thread when I finished on Wednesday, and I refused to start one to report the appalling rubbish I served up at Ballina on Wednesday. 28 points. Awful.

If there was no improvement in my next game, I was intending to book my first lesson for 40 years. Fortunately for my bank balance, self-esteem and possibly my golf game overall, there was improvement today.

35 points off the white tees was a disappointing score but I discovered the secret on the 4th, and played eight really good holes before some rot set back in. At least I now have a swing thought to remember that seems to work, by trying to move my hips toward the target rather than sideways. I suspect I have misinterpreted what clearing the hips means.

Anyway, still anchored, but some light at the end of the tunnel. The new handicap system will give me an extra shot next week, so we'll see what that does, as well.

KristianJ
18th January 2014, 12:51 PM
34 points this morning at Richmond (20/14)

Again the back 9 got me...wiped 13 after putting my tee shot dead behind a tree and being too cavalier, put 2 balls in the lake on 15 and came in par, bogey, bogey.

Made a few good putts that helped the score along.

The Covert Tour came good on the back 9 though after I got myself loose...easy to hit a controlled middish fade that doesn't balloon.

Dangals
18th January 2014, 01:04 PM
40 points today at Richmond for my equal best round of 1 over playing off 5.

It could have been even better as I had my best ever from nine which consisted of 8 pars and an eagle to turn in 2 under. There was a backlog on the 10th and I lost my rhythm a little going 5 over for the next 4 holes including 2 duffed chips and a 3 stab. On 14 our hardest hole I stiffed it to about 6 inches for birdie and proceeded to come home par, birdie, bogey, birdie....

Overall I hit the ball really well and for the most part managed to save any errant shots.... Just got to keep working on keeping a good round going and it will come together very soon.

Hatchman
18th January 2014, 03:47 PM
40 points today at Richmond for my equal best round of 1 over playing off 5.

It could have been even better as I had my best ever from nine which consisted of 8 pars and an eagle to turn in 2 under. There was a backlog on the 10th and I lost my rhythm a little going 5 over for the next 4 holes including 2 duffed chips and a 3 stab. On 14 our hardest hole I stiffed it to about 6 inches for birdie and proceeded to come home par, birdie, bogey, birdie....

Overall I hit the ball really well and for the most part managed to save any errant shots.... Just got to keep working on keeping a good round going and it will come together very soon.

Good one Dangals. Pity about the poor start on the back nine.

Dangals
18th January 2014, 04:22 PM
Good one Dangals. Pity about the poor start on the back nine.

Thanks hatch - I know and the most annoying part about it is that I didn't really hit that bad a shot on each occasion...

Main thing is my confidence is growing with each game and I know I am going to pit a whole round together soon

oncewasagolfer
18th January 2014, 04:29 PM
Nice round dangles.
35 points for me today 18/17. Left the driver out of the bag and hit a few fairways still shanked 2 chips on the front 9 and missed 4 greens with sw approach shots from the fairway. Finished well with 4 pars just missing the birdie putt on 18.

qbnchopper
18th January 2014, 04:29 PM
DQ - playing very nicely and 2 snap hooks oob on the 18th - FFS .....

Peppas
18th January 2014, 05:17 PM
Had 38pts today to come 4th in C grade... hello $30 pro shop credit!

BenM
18th January 2014, 05:24 PM
34 points round Lost Farm's 18 holes today (36 or 37 counting the a holes) with matty and lipitout. Had 3 birds and missed heaps of makeable putts. Great fun.

WBennett
18th January 2014, 05:29 PM
Nice. Wish I was there!

Dotty
18th January 2014, 05:39 PM
34 points round Lost Farm's 18 holes today (36 or 37 counting the a holes) with matty and lipitout. Had 3 birds and missed heaps of makeable putts. Great fun.
You're not the first to experience that.

Are you going out for another nine (or eleven) before sunset?

BenM
18th January 2014, 06:16 PM
You're not the first to experience that.

Are you going out for another nine (or eleven) before sunset?

Nah. Early tee off at Barnbougle tomorrow. Think a big steak and a few beers will be going down soon though!

Lucasto23
18th January 2014, 06:19 PM
5 over around royal Jindalee in the first stroked of the year and hopefully a pin ;)

BenM
18th January 2014, 06:26 PM
Well done Lucas, nice round!

highballin
18th January 2014, 06:28 PM
36 points nothing exciting. Plenty of laughs though so who cares about golf.:D

Hatchman
18th January 2014, 07:54 PM
Stableford @ Kapunda today and back into the 70's for the first time since November.

Course and greens were in great nick which is a credit to all our volunteers considering we had 3 straight days in the mid to low 40's. Last time this happened we lost a couple of patches on the greens. No signs of browning off seen today. Greens roll medium to quick for us and very true which hasn't been the case recently.

Gamed the SLDR with ADDI 6S fitted @ 11° and Adams XTD LS 15° 3 wood for the first time today. Both performed quite well in setting up a good score.
First game I've played at home in a while where it wasn't very windy. A gentle breeze for most of the day made it very pleasent day to be out on the course.
Wore the Oakley shorts I bought a few weeks ago and got the lily white legs that are always kept under slacks out in the sun. Must say it was much more comfortable out there in shorts than long pants.

Stuck the ball quite solid early but suffered a few aim/alignment issues resulting in a lot of missed greens. Thankfully the short game was back from the holiday it's been on so I could manage a score. After starting with a double and getting as high as three over at the turn I clawed it back to be one over standing on 16. Failed to close out a real good one by missing a 3 footer on 16 to save par (mental block, quit on putt slicing it) and 3 stabbed the last for par after driving the green to be 1 under on the back and 2 over 75 for the day.

Stats
Kapunda Par 73, ACR 72
Score = 38pts (18,20)
Effective Drives_8/15 = 53.3%
Greens in Reg_8/18 = 46.7%
Up/Down Par Saves_5/10 = 50%
Putts = 26
4 birdies, 1 double, 1 three stab

live4golf
18th January 2014, 08:06 PM
Started well with an eagle on the 10th, followed by a few pars then a couple of brain farts and a couple of wipes to finish with 14 points. Started the second 9 with a birdie then followed with a ball wash, then a few good holes and some bad.

First round with RQ's Lajosi and I am impressed, distance control was excellent and it was pretty easy to line up. went with the R1v2 and ADDI (thanks NK) and it was really long, some holes it was too long (not such an issue unless you hit into an OOB that you are normally not near). PRetty happy with this, think it might be the combo for me (hahahaha, yeah right), just need to go to 3 wood on some holes where the driver is too long when I connect. I hit up on the group in front twice today, both playing 2nd shots on par 5's (10 and 5). 10th was 230m and 5th was 245m....10th ran up to 1m, 5th was smashed and flew to the green. I apologized profusely, think I need to re-adjust my expectations with this 3 wood...but thanks virge for dong the shaft. Irons were good, wedges were meh

finished with 32 points including 1 eagle, 2 birdies and 4 wipes :(

Lucasto23
18th January 2014, 08:29 PM
Very colorful round LG :)

Lucasto23
18th January 2014, 08:31 PM
Good one Dangals. Pity about the poor start on the back nine. Great round mate

Shortylook
18th January 2014, 08:31 PM
First game for a month after holidays. Played so so, but won our Ambrose end of season day today. At secret harbor. Game was super slow but it was bloody fun. Hit the driver really well today. Didn't take my tee shot too many times but still happy. Thought I might off. seen GK but he wasn't there

G.K
18th January 2014, 09:25 PM
I was there today Shorty. Tee'd off at 7.20.

I had one of those rounds where nothing was going right but I still somehow managed to scramble and shoot an OK score. I didn't hit a clean iron shot until the 4th hole. I was thinning everything really badly.
Par comp. Finished +4.
Might be good enough for a place.
By my calculations, today's round will bring the cap down to mid 13's, which isn't a good thing with RM and VIC Champs not to far away :neutral:

simmsy
18th January 2014, 10:01 PM
Wow +4 is a great score mate.

No bunkers were in the game today I take it then.

G.K
18th January 2014, 10:05 PM
2 bunkers actually:wink:

Golflink has just been updated. It was a played to 10. Cap is now 13.2

I think I'll set myself a 2014 goal of single figures by year end.

dunteachin
18th January 2014, 10:33 PM
Disappointing. 31 points with 8 three-putts. Had absolutely no idea on green speed but kept leaving approaches short to buggery so not all the putter's fault. Back to 15.0

Looking forward to seeing revised handicap later this week when they finish playing with them.

mrbluu
18th January 2014, 11:20 PM
Played today at Glennmore Cup at Glennmore Park in what supposed to be their Vardon event. Had 85/81 with one birdie and countless bogies and doubles.

The day didn't start well when my bushnell died on the first hole. Then I found out my spare battery was dead too.....****!!! I also realise that we were playing with a C grader, which I don't mind normally but not off the plates in a cup round.

The course is in ok nick, but the greens were just shit, slow and wet like it's has been raining for the last 3 weeks. (more of this in another thread).

I fought my swing all day and started par, double, bogey, bogey, bogey to be 5 over. I parred the tough Par 5 6th, then 7 and 8. I knocked it on the par 3 9th, then 3 putted when the dickhead C grader in our group, decided it was too much trouble to wait for his playing partners to hole out, he would just walk off to get a drink and a feed....wtf.

Couldn't be bother doing the stats cos I'm going to try to forget this round.

Ashes
18th January 2014, 11:22 PM

I had one of those rounds where nothing was going right but I still somehow managed to scramble and shoot an OK score. I didn't hit a clean iron shot until the 4th hole. I was thinning everything really badly.
Par comp. Finished +4.
By my calculations, today's round will bring the cap down to mid 13's, which isn't a good thing with RM and VIC Champs not to far away :neutral:

Nice work GK.

Johnny Canuck
19th January 2014, 12:13 AM
2 bunkers actually:wink:

Golflink has just been updated. It was a played to 10. Cap is now 13.2

I think I'll set myself a 2014 goal of single figures by year end.

Still a bandit.

Shortylook
19th January 2014, 12:15 AM

Par comp. Finished +4.
Nice work mate, you have your game sorted, seen a punch up of sorts on the 9th today as we were leaving. Pretty sad.

Hatchman
19th January 2014, 01:20 AM
Played today at Glennmore Cup at Glennmore Park in what supposed to be their Vardon event. Had 85/81 with one birdie and countless bogies and doubles.

The day didn't start well when my bushnell died on the first hole. Then I found out my spare battery was dead too.....****!!! I also realise that we were playing with a C grader, which I don't mind normally but not off the plates in a cup round.

The course is in ok nick, but the greens were just shit, slow and wet like it's has been raining for the last 3 weeks. (more of this in another thread).

I fought my swing all day and started par, double, bogey, bogey, bogey to be 5 over. I parred the tough Par 5 6th, then 7 and 8. I knocked it on the par 3 9th, then 3 putted when the dickhead C grader in our group, decided it was too much trouble to wait for his playing partners to hole out, he would just walk off to get a drink and a feed....wtf.

Couldn't be bother doing the stats cos I'm going to try to forget this round.

Thought there would have been a handicap limit for such an event or did this guy get in because he was from the host club and they needed field fillers?

mrbluu
19th January 2014, 03:54 AM
Thought there would have been a handicap limit for such an event or did this guy get in because he was from the host club and they needed field fillers?

He got in cos they are the host club. Most host clubs would limit the members who can these days to A Graders to keep the field going. At my club we have a special cup day just for the B and C graders.

My point is they dont need any fills if the run th comp longer and have groups of 3 to keep the speed of play up!! Nobody wants to play a 5 hour round of golf, so a 5.5 hour round is beyond a joke. If it wasn't for playing with my mate, I would have walked off after 9.

This course already has a reputation for really slow round yet they dont seem to do anything about it.

Dangals
19th January 2014, 06:24 AM
Sorry to hear about your round bluu... I have had that round at glenmore before.

Congrats to Lucas, hatch, peppas and gk on your rounds.

mrbluu
19th January 2014, 08:25 AM
40 points today at Richmond for my equal best round of 1 over playing off 5.It could have been even better as I had my best ever from nine which consisted of 8 pars and an eagle to turn in 2 under. There was a backlog on the 10th and I lost my rhythm a little going 5 over for the next 4 holes including 2 duffed chips and a 3 stab. On 14 our hardest hole I stiffed it to about 6 inches for birdie and proceeded to come home par, birdie, bogey, birdie....Overall I hit the ball really well and for the most part managed to save any errant shots.... Just got to keep working on keeping a good round going and it will come together very soon. Awesome round mate!!

Dangals
19th January 2014, 09:02 AM
yeah thanks mate - front nine felt like I was just cruising along and when everything came to a halt half way is when it all caught up with me I guess....it would have been interesting if we could have just kept going without the delay

mrbluu
19th January 2014, 09:07 AM
yeah thanks mate - front nine felt like I was just cruising along and when everything came to a halt half way is when it all caught up with me I guess....it would have been interesting if we could have just kept going without the delay Sounds like u will be favourite for Cabra next weekend ;-)

KristianJ
19th January 2014, 09:28 AM
For the next week I'm going to experiment with resisting a halfway house feed and seeing if that has an influence on my back 9 malaise.

mrbluu
19th January 2014, 09:44 AM
For the next week I'm going to experiment with resisting a halfway house feed and seeing if that has an influence on my back 9 malaise.

Bring healthy snacks....

3Puttpete
19th January 2014, 12:45 PM
36 points
7 fairways
5 GIR
33 putts. 2 x 3 putts
1 wipe
1 birdie

BenM
19th January 2014, 02:39 PM
34 points today at Barnbougle.

2 birdies
9 pars
2 bogies
2 doubles
3 'others'.

Waddzy
20th January 2014, 10:31 AM
Round after a lesson on Saturday.. 30 points with 6 wipes and 4 birdies. My holes were either played perfectly or shite... I started the day with 4 wipes after I forgot how to hit an iron at all( lesson was on my driver trying to align myself better). Went out sunday and shot 6 over with ease after slowing down the swing and not worrying about the fact I was only hitting 200 off the tee.. apparently fairways > length works.

Hopefully hitting the range alot more now I have things to work on and start playing like that on some saturdays.