PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids, Where to Start?

Buzz
10th January 2014, 06:59 PM
Mate of mine who is just about to join my local club has played a few recent rounds swears by his 4 hybrid, and he seems to be getting great value from it, hitting some very impressive shots. I've never been a great hitter of fairway woods so I'm interested in exploring the hybrid option, but know absolutely zero about them really. Where should I start in my quest ... any good resources/articles or any other advice that is a must read?

serrz
10th January 2014, 07:13 PM
I can't hit fairway woods and found hybrids to be much easier to get into the air.

Can always demo some from your pro and try them out.

mrbluu
10th January 2014, 07:15 PM
Mate of mine who is just about to join my local club has played a few recent rounds swears by his 4 hybrid, and he seems to be getting great value from it, hitting some very impressive shots. I've never been a great hitter of fairway woods so I'm interested in exploring the hybrid option, but know absolutely zero about them really. Where should I start in my quest ... any good resources/articles or any other advice that is a must read?

Its all personal preference mate so go out and demo them. I wouldn't go lower than 17* as they are too hard to hit.

Maybe start with a 18 and go from there.

Good luck.

Buzz
10th January 2014, 07:17 PM
Fair enough I will ask the pro ... what loft would a typical 4 hybrid be?

serrz
10th January 2014, 07:19 PM
4 would be 22-24 deg...

mrbluu
10th January 2014, 07:20 PM
Fair enough I will ask the pro ... what loft would a typical 4 hybrid be? Anywhere from 21 to 24 depending on the manufacturer. U said u can't hit your FW's that's why I recommended the 18.

rough_rider
10th January 2014, 11:44 PM
i started with the callways H/L razr x in 19* and it was alright, tho felt a little short. after that i had an adams pro hybrd 3 in same degree was great but as soon as the RBZ stage 2 come available to me and cheap, i snapped it up. cannot get enough of it, goes exactly where i want feels amazing to hit can (kind of) control the ball. i can average 200m out of this hybrid. great club and can recomend!

Buzz
12th January 2014, 09:38 AM
I was taking a look in the ProShop yesterday and pretty sure I saw that RBZ. The assistant pro was all over me to take one out on the course but I couldnt bring myself to experiment during a comp round. Must check them out though.

rough_rider
12th January 2014, 09:43 AM
give it a crack, going to sound weird maybe but the rocketballz and the rocketbladez stage 2 are totally different, i get alot more distance woth the stage 2 then the rocketballz.

JADO75
12th January 2014, 10:14 AM
To each their own but for me the RBZ Stage 2 hybrids are where it's at.

Buzz
12th January 2014, 10:29 AM
To each their own but for me the RBZ Stage 2 hybrids are where it's at.

Done a bit of googling around on this and it does seem to have a lot of positive stuff written. Will see if the proshop has one to test out on Weds.

rough_rider
12th January 2014, 10:32 AM
agreed. picked mine up with the 3 wood from my local HOG about 3 weeks back for 200 for the pair..stoked!

Buzz
12th January 2014, 11:27 AM
Whats the difference between the RBZ and RBZ Stage 2? Other than $60 in price :)

rough_rider
12th January 2014, 11:32 AM
from what i can tell the head is slighty smaller, blck face which is obvious but from a person who doesnt know much, after hitting both the stage 2 overall has a better feel off the face, just my 2c

Buzz
12th January 2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks. $200 for the pair sounds awesome, online the hybrid alone looks to be $179

rough_rider
12th January 2014, 11:37 AM
probably should have mentioned they were second hand, but both in great nick.

Buzz
12th January 2014, 11:40 AM
aha! Makes all the difference ;)

On Course has them at $179, I've got a tick over $100 in my account at the pro shop so its likely to make sense for me there. Just have to go out and hit a few and see how it feels.

LarryLong
12th January 2014, 11:44 AM
If you're unsure about whether or not you want to get on the hybrid bus, I would suggest grabbing a cheap hybrid of any make from rockbottomgolf or second hand and tryng it out to see if they suit you.

BUSHY
12th January 2014, 11:49 AM
I've found that different manufacturers label their hybrids differently when it comes to loft and the actual number and are designed with different flights in mind. I really think it's best to demo whatever you can on a launch monitor in conjunction with your current set to make sure the gapping between your woods and irons is consistent without large gaps. It's all about fitting into your current set the best, if you want to replace your 4 iron you need to demo with the clubs on either side and see what fits in that gap, where the differences are, looks, feel, ball flight, ease of use etc.

For example I have spare hybrids, #3 @ 21*, #2 @19* and my gamer a Covert Tour #3 @ 19* (17*-21*) they all have different shaft lengths, distances and ball flights. My point being a certain hybrid labelled #3 may not be a suitable replacement for a 3i just as a certain 4hy may not be a great one for one replacement for a 4i.

Buzz
12th January 2014, 11:50 AM
If you're unsure about whether or not you want to get on the hybrid bus, I would suggest grabbing a cheap hybrid of any make from rockbottomgolf or second hand and tryng it out to see if they suit you.

I thought about that too but at the end of the day if the pro shop has a demo of the RBZ Stage 2 I may as well just give that a try, if it doesn't work out all it will cost me is a round I won't count on golflink! :)

oldracer
12th January 2014, 11:50 AM
Is it just a matter of club preference, I.e. hybrid instead of long irons or is it higher ball flight from the hybrids?

Buzz
12th January 2014, 11:54 AM
I've found that different manufacturers label their hybrids differently when it comes to loft and the actual number and are designed with different flights in mind. I really think it's best to demo whatever you can on a launch monitor in conjunction with your current set to make sure the gapping between your woods and irons is consistent without large gaps. It's all about fitting into your current set the best, if you want to replace your 4 iron you need to demo with the clubs on either side and see what fits in that gap, where the differences are, looks, feel, ball flight, ease of use etc.

For example I have spare hybrids, #3 @ 21*, #2 @19* and my gamer a Covert Tour #3 @ 19* (17*-21*) they all have different shaft lengths, distances and ball flights. My point being a certain hybrid labelled #3 may not be a suitable replacement for a 3i just as a certain 4hy may not be a great one for one replacement for a 4i.

Fair points. I think for me too though its a confidence thing, as a 20 handicapper coming back to the game I feel I'm at the point where I have a lot of confidence that I can hit my 4 iron straight but anything longer I don't feel comfortable with. Sure sometimes I hit a decent 3 iron, 5 wood or even 3 wood but its too inconsistent.

4 hybrid appeals becuase if I can play it like a 4 iron but get an extra 20-30m and maintain the control thats going to be a huge bonus.

Yes the alternative is to get out and work on building confidence with the woods again. In the interim though it would be nice to have an alternative option. I could then see which club I could leave out once I get consistent.

BUSHY
12th January 2014, 11:59 AM
Yeah I get that. I have a mate that has a 3 hybrid that he uses anywhere from 140m to 210m (depending on the situation). It's a comfort thing for him because has so much confidence with it. Confidence is always a good thing.

rough_rider
12th January 2014, 12:05 PM
same with my stage 2 hybrid 3, i use it from anywhere 200-150, its just so easy to hit and control the ball.ive sine taken my 3 iron out to have another wedge.

talbo
12th January 2014, 12:48 PM
I had been looking for a H to replace my 3i and found the 3h goes as far as my 5w! Going to try a 21*

Buzz
12th January 2014, 12:58 PM
Which brand was that?

talbo
12th January 2014, 01:53 PM
Titleist 913h with bassara.

Buzz
12th January 2014, 06:02 PM
Damn I think I might be catching the new gear bug, my golf isnt good enough for that! :)

rough_rider
13th January 2014, 12:21 AM
hahaha defintly crack the stage 2, i had an adams hybrid at one stage this one: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/436961-adams-idea-black-super-hybrid/
first pic, i loved it but had always wanted the stage 2, food for thought.

mrbluu
13th January 2014, 06:16 AM
hahaha defintly crack the stage 2, i had an adams hybrid at one stage this one: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/436961-adams-idea-black-super-hybrid/
first pic, i loved it but had always wanted the stage 2, food for thought.

These are worth a look as well.

https://www.golfbox.com.au/mobile/product.asp?itemid=210815

serrz
14th January 2014, 08:34 PM
These are worth a look as well.

https://www.golfbox.com.au/mobile/product.asp?itemid=210815

Adams prices do tend to drop quite quickly...wonder if Ernie will help at all..

Buzz
15th January 2014, 02:12 PM
Ok I am a convert! Took a 4 Hybrid out in the weds morning comp today. Unfortunately they only had 3hy in the stage 2 so I was recommended a Mizuno instead and it was great. Going to try a few different ones. Do people find it much harder to hit the 3hy compared to the 4??

rough_rider
15th January 2014, 03:45 PM
not really, i prefer the 3 over 4 tho.

Buzz
15th January 2014, 05:11 PM
Why so? Extra distance?

Dotty
15th January 2014, 05:35 PM
Why so? Extra distance?
4 has bad Feng Shui ?

btw. I use 4h, 5h and 6h, but prefer a 5w over a 3h.

JADO75
15th January 2014, 05:46 PM
I use a 3H as it fills my gaps better

serrz
15th January 2014, 08:53 PM
I am looking for a 4hy. Have a 3h and 2h, then a 5i. Both h's are pretty easy to hit.

rough_rider
15th January 2014, 09:13 PM
yeah that little extra distance, dont have a 3i in my bag so 3h fits in perfectly.
\

WBennett
15th January 2014, 09:55 PM
Ok I am a convert! Took a 4 Hybrid out in the weds morning comp today. Unfortunately they only had 3hy in the stage 2 so I was recommended a Mizuno instead and it was great. Going to try a few different ones. Do people find it much harder to hit the 3hy compared to the 4??Cant go wrong with Mizuno

serrz
15th January 2014, 11:27 PM
Which model?

solarbear
16th January 2014, 12:56 AM
One thing Nike does right is a really nice Hybrid. You can pick up 21 ° versions off ebay for less than a hundred.

Tbh most of the companies make pretty nice hybrids these days. Adams is a good place to start too.

As an aside on hybrids. Seems Dicks Sporting Goods bought and brought Nickent back from the dead. I tried their new Hybrid F26 the other day while in Florida. Nice. Very nice. So nice I ended up giong back the next day and trying and buying the 3 wood.

Buzz
16th January 2014, 07:26 AM
Mizuno jpx fli hi 4hy l flex 55g

Peppas
16th January 2014, 08:49 AM
Mizuno jpx fli hi 4hy l flex 55g

l flex work well for you?

Jarro
16th January 2014, 08:59 AM
An oldie but a goodie .... Adams Idea Pro.

Awesome hybrid !!

oncewasagolfer
16th January 2014, 09:13 AM
An oldie but a goodie .... Adams Idea Pro.

Awesome hybrid !!

Yes I have the 3&4 in the bag very solid.

Jarro
16th January 2014, 09:34 AM

Best hybrids i've tried.

SCMS
16th January 2014, 10:01 AM
If you have the chance, try the Cleveland Mashie+ hybrid. Light weight miyazaki shaft but very forgiving and the distance is good (probably not as long as others but depends on your gapping). They do have a fair few lofts to help with that. You can pick one up now for $60 - $80 brand new (Golf Clearance outlet maybe?). I have a 2 hybrid (18*) and 3 hybrid (20.5*) which covers me from 165 - 200m.

Good luck, hope you find one you're comfortable with.

Buzz
16th January 2014, 10:43 AM
l flex work well for you? I liked it ... I don't think my swing speed is that high ... It felt comfortable.

Buzz
16th January 2014, 10:44 AM
So many options!

Vice MC
16th January 2014, 11:28 AM
Ive got stage 2 #3 & #6's, and mzuno jpx #4...love em all

solarbear
16th January 2014, 11:31 AM
I have a Powerplay Select 5000 that has kept squirming its way into my bag. Can be found/made very cheap. Its just a good design.

Buzz
16th January 2014, 01:22 PM
Ive got stage 2 #3 & #6's, and mzuno jpx #4...love em all What differences do you find between the TaylorMades and the Mizuno? Interested in why you mixed between the two

Buzz
16th January 2014, 01:45 PM
Also another question I should have asked earlier ... How did people decide how many to carry and what gap or lack thereof between them?

Vice MC
16th January 2014, 02:53 PM
What differences do you find between the TaylorMades and the Mizuno? Interested in why you mixed between the two

I find the TM's more forgiving but i find they tend to balloon a bit more than the mizzwa..i bought the TM's first and then saw how sexy the mizzy looked so had to get it

JADO75
16th January 2014, 02:57 PM
Ballooning would be shaft related wouldn't it?

rough_rider
16th January 2014, 03:12 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/38552-Adams-Super-S-hybrid-19*-amp-22*

Jump on it! So cheap and great clubs!

serrz
16th January 2014, 05:51 PM
Long hybrids are always useful - Esp off the tee on shorter holes

Icestorm959
16th January 2014, 06:13 PM
I have found hybrids to be good 3 iron replacers but not good at replacing my 5 wood.

BUSHY
16th January 2014, 08:45 PM
Also another question I should have asked earlier ... How did people decide how many to carry and what gap or lack thereof between them?

I have used Flightscope in the past to work out my gaps from club to club. The other way I use is to measure your shots on the course when practicing and hitting different clubs from the tee when deciding on one or the other. This allows you to see the true difference in flight and distance. Have a look at the new GolfShot app called "Tour Caddie", has a great shot measurement feature and averages them out.

Currently I've ditched the 5 wood and replaced it with the 3 hybrid which is adjustable and the shaft is shorter which means I can control it better. Even though I hit them roughly the same distance, the hybrid is better for me and my game.

AusOdy
16th January 2014, 09:47 PM
Hybrids treat me much better than woods. Carrying 4 in bag atm.

Johnny Canuck
16th January 2014, 10:03 PM

Ditto. Best hybrids ever made.

rough_rider
16th January 2014, 10:33 PM
as of tomorrow ill have a 4 in the bag, adams 20* getting shafted as we speak!

Buzz
17th January 2014, 06:58 AM
as of tomorrow ill have a 4 in the bag, adams 20* getting shafted as we speak!
What 4 are you carrying and what have they replaced?

Buzz
17th January 2014, 06:59 AM
I have used Flightscope in the past to work out my gaps from club to club. The other way I use is to measure your shots on the course when practicing and hitting different clubs from the tee when deciding on one or the other. This allows you to see the true difference in flight and distance. Have a look at the new GolfShot app called "Tour Caddie", has a great shot measurement feature and averages them out.

Currently I've ditched the 5 wood and replaced it with the 3 hybrid which is adjustable and the shaft is shorter which means I can control it better. Even though I hit them roughly the same distance, the hybrid is better for me and my game.

Yep I am indeed using the Golf Shot app for that reason, but its hard to be subtle with it on a comp round so I don't record many of my shots.

Buzz
17th January 2014, 07:02 AM
Ive got stage 2 #3 & #6's, and mzuno jpx #4...love em all

The #6 replaces your 5 iron?

Buzz
17th January 2014, 09:39 AM
Sorry for all the multiple posts, but one more question. The Mizuno I hit was "L" flex, is that ladies ? I actually liked it, seemed quite whippy and I made great contact.

Vice MC
17th January 2014, 09:56 AM
The #6 replaces your 5 iron?

You got it

benno_r
17th January 2014, 09:57 AM
Sorry for all the multiple posts, but one more question. The Mizuno I hit was "L" flex, is that ladies ? I actually liked it, seemed quite whippy and I made great contact.

I tried a 5 hybrid recently, a TEE xcg5 that preformed great with the stock reg flex shaft.

Drop in my preferred stiff flex shaft, and couldn't hit it for crackers. Something about the higher lofted hybrids seem to work better with softer shafts.

Is the "L" 1 step softer than your normal flex? Interested to see if I am not the only one who thinks softer is better?

Dotty
17th January 2014, 10:53 AM
Sounds like you may have stumbled on a good find with the 'L' flex.

I couldn't get the R flex of the JPX 4h into the air, compared to most other OEM's R flex 4 hybrids. (Good for getting out of the trees or running onto the green, if there are no bunkers in the way, but not much else with my clubhead speed.)

rough_rider
17th January 2014, 10:55 AM
when i said 4 i mean 4h not 4 hybrids in total, sorry for confusion, will test it tonite to see what it will over take.

SirTop
17th January 2014, 07:29 PM
I have found hybrids to be good 3 iron replacers but not good at replacing my 5 wood.

Hi icestorm, why is that?

I've considered a 5 wood, I'm a wedge man so not sure how I'd do it but still...

Icestorm959
17th January 2014, 10:41 PM
I just find that I hit the 5 wood more consistently than my 19 degree hybrid, no idea why really, I hit the 21 degree hybrid miles better than my 3 iron. Ive got a 5 wood, a 21 hybrid and 4 wedges, so there is a gap for me at 3 wood.

rough_rider
18th January 2014, 09:15 PM
my 4h has taken away my need for a 50* wedge, so now im at driver 3w 3h 4h 4i-pw 56* 60*

BUSHY
18th January 2014, 09:29 PM
my 4h has taken away my need for a 50* wedge, so now im at driver 3w 3h 4h 4i-pw 56* 60*

What loft is your PW?

rough_rider
18th January 2014, 09:54 PM
48* i think. if needed i either close up my 56 or ht my pw softly.

Buzz
19th January 2014, 03:38 PM
So went out today with the intention of taking both a 3hy and a 4hy of the Stage 2's out. Unfortunately I discovered the pro shop only had left handed models !! So I ended up taking both 3hy and 4hy Mizunos out. I liked them both, but the 3hy was a regular flex.I found when it hit them well they both flew beautifully, but the reg shaft shots were a little wilder when I mishit. Being a short hitter I feel like I really like the L flex.When I got back though the pro shop staff really tried to talk me out of the L flex. I got the feeling it was kind of why would a bloke want to take a ladies flex club.I felt though that the greater flex meant I could take a smoother swing.Any flex thoughts? I like the clubs but am not sure which way to go.

Buzz
23rd January 2014, 01:05 PM
I'm heading down to Drummond tomorrow to try out the RBZ stage 2 hybrids. Is there two versions, normal and tour? I've seen references to both. If so what's the difference?

rough_rider
23rd January 2014, 04:01 PM
unsure of differences, i have the norm and love it. tho my 4h is prob not staying in the bag long as its 20* and my 3h is 19*

EDIT: the tour versions are half degree lower ie normal is 19* tour is 18.5* unsure if there is other differences.

Buzz
23rd January 2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks... I'll stick with trying out the normals. Want to try the 19, 22, and possibly even 25

solarbear
24th January 2014, 07:25 AM
I'm heading down to Drummond tomorrow to try out the RBZ stage 2 hybrids. Is there two versions, normal and tour? I've seen references to both. If so what's the difference?

Tour versions generally have no offset. And maybe have a different shaft. Sometimes a smaller head.

Could be ladies. Might also be lite flex.

PeteyD
24th January 2014, 08:27 AM
Tour stage 2s have adjustable stuff too

Buzz
25th January 2014, 04:13 PM
Well ... developments.

A tale of woe really. Ever do something you instantly regret ... <puts hand up>

So I went to Drummond yesterday with the intent of hitting the Stage Twos. I had really liked the Mizuno JPX demos on the course but since everyone said the Stage 2s were so good I thought I'd just go and see how they were and also check what flex I should use.

So I get there and they have some Stage 2's on clearance but not many and they are all stiff shafts. Was disappointed but I thought I'd get "fitted" for some clubs anyway. So thats what I thought was happening, but the sales guy got me hitting some hybrids in the net. I hit the old cobra model, then a Wilson Staff, then the new Taylor Made, none of which I hit real well. Then he gave me the new Cobra Bio Cell, I hit them so/so, not great but they felt better than any of the others.

He didn't give me any measurements or anything, is that what is supposed to happen in a fitting? I did find out by asking my club head speed is pretty slow, 78mph I think? Not sure.

Anyway I was disappointed and I wanted to get some hybrids ... I didn't want to wait and order the Mizuno's through the pro shop and wait weeks ... so I bought the Cobra's for $219 each. Adjustable 2/3hy and 3/4hy, regular flex shaft, silver heads.

I get to the course today, monthly medal and did some bunker practice so only had a chance to hit a couple with the cobras in the nets .... when I hit the Mizuno's I instantly clicked. The Cobra's felt terrible but I thought I'm just cold.

Wrong ... I hated them. I hit them terrible, they were really unforgiving. I never hit a good shot with either of them and I don't like the feel. After the 7th hole I stopped hitting them and just used 4iron. Still managed a nett 74 suprisingly.

So now I have two shiny new hybrids ... probably only six shots with each ... and I hate them. I spent more money and ended up with the wrong clubs and I immediately know I've done the wrong thing.

Worst feeling ever.