PDA

View Full Version : Progressive lenses

mike
8th January 2014, 08:01 PM
For 4 or so years since age 45 I've needed reading glasses. (pita) The last year or so I've noticed even reading the car instrument panel is becoming a chore. So sometime last year I went to see about progressive lenses. The optometrist tested and measured me up and a few days later I picked the glasses up.

Real weird. Couldn't really focus on anything. When reading a book I had to focus on each individual word, the word before and after was a total blur. Could not, repeat, NOT focus on a computer screen.
I tried them for a day and took them back and told them I couldn't use them.
They retested me and made up another pair thinking there may be a miscalculation or manufacturing error or something of the sort.

Second pair were just as bad so I gave up and just got them to make me another pair of readers.

My older brother tells me he has progressives and they're brilliant.

Does anybody else out there have them?

Should I try again?

Should I try another optometrist?

Are my eyes non conforming?

Fanks

mike

sms316
8th January 2014, 08:06 PM
Start reading Braille.

Daves
8th January 2014, 08:30 PM
I was using progressives prior to getting laser treatment in 2005. Progressives take a long time to get adjusted/used to, but do work once you brain has adjusted to them. However they do distort things to points (fish bowl like effect) and that would be somewhat of a hindrance for things like golf, particularly putting I would think. I know it was hard to play pool/snooker, or other sports where you needed to refocus on different distances regularly. Fishing was also a pita with them. And then getting prescription sunnies was just added pita. Laser treatment was a much better alternative for me.

markTHEblake
8th January 2014, 08:56 PM
i have same problem mike. i dont really need reading glasses, but I cant read with my long distance glasses on, that alone is a PITA. When i wear contacts,my arms are just not long enough to read a text message.

Daves. how did the laser treatment affect your reading vision?

mike
8th January 2014, 09:07 PM
Progressives take a long time to get adjusted/used to, but do work once you brain has adjusted to them. They did tell me that but it just seemed so weird

However they do distort things to points (fish bowl like effect) and that would be somewhat of a hindrance for things like golfI don't intend using them for golf. Mainly work and driving I guess.

Daves
8th January 2014, 09:16 PM
i have same problem mike. i dont really need reading glasses, but I cant read with my long distance glasses on, that alone is a PITA. When i wear contacts,my arms are just not long enough to read a text message.

Daves. how did the laser treatment affect your reading vision?

I wore glasses permanently before laser, for both reading and long distance sight. I was short sighted plus had an astigmatism. I haven't worn glasses since I had the laser done. Due to the astigmatism I couldn't get back to 20/20 vision. Instead I have one eye set for long sight and one for short, the alternative was both good for long sight and I would have still needed reading glasses. It took a little while to get used to (they gave me contacts to try first to see if I was going to have issues) but after a few weeks you forget about it completely. So far my sight is holding up well.

markTHEblake
8th January 2014, 09:59 PM
thanks

So far my sight is holding up well.

shame about the rest , cant have everything though ;-0