PDA

View Full Version : SA: 2014 Vardon Events

Hatchman
6th January 2014, 07:42 PM
For those looking to play in some of the S.A Vardon rounds.
Most events are up to 6-7 Handicap limit to enter and usually 2-4 for the top courses (RA, Kooyonga, Glenelg)

Click on the link for the full calendar http://www.golfsa.com.au/default.aspx?s=Vardon.

There's 5 rounds in a row starting first week of February before they spread out a bit.

I'll make updates as the entry forms are made available.

(http://www.golfsa.com.au/site/_content/document/00016582-source.pdf)
(http://www.golfsa.com.au/site/_content/document/00016733-source.pdf)Mon April 21: Blackwood,
Handicap limit: 4
Entry form here: http://www.golfsa.com.au/site/_content/document/00017118-source.pdf

Sun May 4: West Lakes (previously known as Riverside)
Handicap limit: not known yet
Entry form here: not available yet

Hatchman
6th January 2014, 07:42 PM
I'm playing in the TTG and Mt Compass rounds.

markTHEblake
6th January 2014, 09:07 PM
I would be interested in playing in the SA Fat bellies, early November from memory.

Hatchman
18th January 2014, 04:14 PM
Links for entry forms and handicap limits added for The Vines and Stirling rounds.

Lagerlover
18th January 2014, 06:01 PM
I'm playing in the TTG and Mt Compass rounds. Make sure you drop into Nangkita church, my foreskin be there still...... At least that's the last place I remember seeing it...

Hatchman
18th January 2014, 06:24 PM
Think that was used for a fan belt on a HR wasn't it?

Lagerlover
18th January 2014, 08:41 PM
I'd love to say yes hatch...you're talking about the diecast range yeah??

Hatchman
18th January 2014, 09:12 PM
Biante 1:18 scale or 1:64 scale?

golf2013
18th January 2014, 10:49 PM
Good info there for us SA guys

Hatchman
19th January 2014, 01:48 AM
You looking to play in any of them?

golf2013
19th January 2014, 09:25 PM
Would like to play as many as I can but at this stage 3 out of the first 4 I am working so sterling is the only possible, hopefully will get to play more later in the year. Have really missed playing different courses in recent times.

Hatchman
19th January 2014, 09:52 PM
Flagstaff is in March. Think I'll be playing that one as well, handicap limit permitting.

golf2013
19th January 2014, 10:03 PM
Wouldnt mind playing flaggy myself. I am off at this point so as long as the mrs doesnt plan something all is good.

Hatchman
7th February 2014, 01:23 AM
Flagstaff entry form link added to OP.

Entry sent for Flaggy.
Got to play ok in one of these.
TTG was a big fail.

golf2013
8th February 2014, 08:54 AM
Flagstaff entry form link added to OP.

Entry sent for Flaggy.
Got to play ok in one of these.
TTG was a big fail.

Did they reduce TTG to 18 holes cause of the heat?

Hatchman
8th February 2014, 04:49 PM
Did they reduce TTG to 18 holes cause of the heat?

Yeh, called before play started.
It was 42° at 11am. First 9 it was warm but ok when the gully breeze was blowing. It started getting quite warm on the last 9.

golf2013
9th February 2014, 07:33 PM
You playing Fleurieu next week?

Hatchman
9th February 2014, 08:35 PM

Yes.
Hoping for better weather than last year and that I don't get drawn with the slow snail I got last year.

golf2013
9th February 2014, 08:46 PM
I am working and cant play so I am sure the forecast will be great.

Hatchman
15th February 2014, 09:17 AM

Yes.
Hoping for better weather than last year and that I don't get drawn with the slow snail I got last year.

Weather's looking good at this stage. Forecast is for 26° v last years 38° that ended up 41°. I'm not drawn with Gus the snail and he's on the other side of the course so not going to hold me up in front either. Just need to shot some acceptable scores and I'll have the trifecta :).

nadg63
18th February 2014, 08:41 PM
Weather's looking good at this stage. Forecast is for 26° v last years 38° that ended up 41°. I'm not drawn with Gus the snail and he's on the other side of the course so not going to hold me up in front either. Just need to shot some acceptable scores and I'll have the trifecta :).
So how did you go?

nadg63
18th February 2014, 09:58 PM
So how did you go?

Never mind, just saw your report in the other segment.

Hatchman
19th February 2014, 02:41 AM
I was quite dejected by the time I got home lamenting another monumental fail.
Felt as though I was going to break the run of poor performances on the drive up, how wrong could I be?????

Felt worse when I looked at the amount of scores under par over the 2 rounds on Monday. I think there was 6-8 with the best being 3 under in the morning. Greens were a good pace and true for a day out with the putter. There were some blow outs too, worse than mine. State of the fairways and tee blocks on the back nine was below par with very poor grass coverage.

I'm not sure if I'm just plain stupid but I'm saddling up again for Flaggy in a fortnights time if my entry doesn't get balloted for field size.

Buzz
19th February 2014, 07:31 AM
Ok question from the ignorant, what is a Vardon event anyway ?

Hatchman
19th February 2014, 06:26 PM
It's the state amateurs equivalent of a pro tour. Play with and against the best golfers in the state.

The Vardon is a serries of Gross rounds played on different courses (36 holes) over the course of the year. Your average score is calculated from the progressive rounds if you enter the Vardon.
Selection for state representation golf has a huge weighting on how you perform in the Vardon rounds for Men, and Junior Boys & Girls.

All games are played of the back plates with pins in the hard spots. The states best amateurs all playing at the one course. Each club that hosts an event has usually been hosting at the same time for many years for a perpetual trophy. A fair amount of tradition and prestige to get your name on one. Handicap limits for individual events range from 4-7 maximum. You can nominate and play in the individual events without entering the Vardon.

Having said all that I'm in no way in the same league as the ones playing for the win or state selection.
I rate the Vardon games up there with Club Opens and Championships.
It's al about testing myself and a bit of self pride which is very low atm.

Hatchman
2nd March 2014, 10:57 AM
I missed the Flaggy round today due to not getting up early enough to make my tee time :oops:.
Woke at 4:15 needing to drain the main vein. An hour to go before alarm was due to go off so got some more zzzzz. Woke again at 6:30, thinking awe crap, impossible to make my 7:30 tee time now. Checked alarm setting and it was on pm, must have flicked it before getting out of the screen #-o:oops:.
Normally I would be real p!$$ed but form in the previous rounds has me not overly bothered. May have spared myself the disappointment of another fail.

Hatchman
10th March 2014, 12:10 PM
Entry form for Blackwood is out now (link is in OP).
This game is on the Easter Monday not Sunday as I had previously listed.