PDA

View Full Version : Holiday in May, Courses near Sunshine Coast & Gold Coast

Hatchman
2nd January 2014, 08:51 PM
The Hatchery is heading to QLD for a holiday in May.
By the second week I'm sure I'll be looking to get away from little Miss Hatch and Mrs Hatch to seek the serenity of a golf course to help enhance my calm.

We're in Caloundra for that second week so interested in what courses are worth having a look at.

Caloundra Golf Course is the closest to where we are staying and Pelican Waters doesn't look that far away.

Can't recall any talk about Caloundra Golf Course on this site. What sort of nick is Caloundra Golf Course in and is it worth playing?

Pelican Waters goes without saying and would be No.1 choice.

Are there any other Courses worth having a look at within 30min to 1hr of Moffat Beach?

sms316
2nd January 2014, 08:55 PM
I'm a member at PW so let me know when you are up (as long as it is after the 11th).

I haven't played Caloundra. By all accounts it is just a parkland members track that is ok, but nothing to get excited about.

Twin Waters is about 20 mins north and would be the best of the rest for within 30 mins.

Nambour is within 30 mins as well. It is "special".

AndyP
2nd January 2014, 08:55 PM
You could get to Bribie Island and Pacific Harbour within an hour, as well as Twin Waters, Hyatt Coolum and Noosa Springs.

sms316
2nd January 2014, 08:57 PM
I forgot about Palmer Coolum. Play it ahead of the rest.

Hatchman
2nd January 2014, 09:40 PM
I'm a member at PW so let me know when you are up (as long as it is after the 11th).

I haven't played Caloundra. By all accounts it is just a parkland members track that is ok, but nothing to get excited about.

Twin Waters is about 20 mins north and would be the best of the rest for within 30 mins.

Nambour is within 30 mins as well. It is "special".

Cheers, that would good.
We're in Caloundra the last week of May.

Ron Burgundy
2nd January 2014, 10:06 PM
I forgot about Palmer Coolum. Play it ahead of the rest.
This

Played it recently and it was brilliant. Thought Palmer would have ruined it by now but it seems like all he's done (apart from a few mentalist touches like the dinosaur) is scare off the punters so the course was deserted.

Course was in great nick. It was pretty cheap. Pro shop staff were awesome. And instead of a drinks cart they had a mobile number to call at the bar and they'd ferry out your drink order straight out to you in an esky full of ice - if we ordered on the tee and the drinks were there by the time we reached the green.

Hatchman
28th April 2014, 11:38 PM
4 more weeks and the Hatchery will be invading QLD.
Exact itinerary on what we are doing on what days has not been finalised by the Minister of War and Finance and will most likely change on the fly depending on her medical condition. She has a number of things she wants to look at and do but tends to get her ambitions confused with her abilities when we go away anywhere.
Any golf game(s) I get a chance to have will most likely be at short notice.

First week we are staying on the Gold Coast, the second we are staying on the Sunshine Coast.

goughy
29th April 2014, 06:27 AM
I used to have a few games at Caloundra. I always enjoyed it, but with the amount of golf I get to play, I'd enjoy a goat track (Nambour (Mountain goat track(the noise of cobra drivers may cause avalanches)))

sms316
29th April 2014, 06:33 AM
Agreed goughy. Nambour is indeed a goat track.

goughy
29th April 2014, 10:43 AM
Only because they have ropes and pulleys to get you up the hills.

sms316
29th April 2014, 10:46 AM
It does offer scenic views of the local cemetery.

Daves
29th April 2014, 10:47 AM
Sounds like you will be a few days late to play in the Ozgolf Masters at Arundel on the 18th.

iggsy
29th April 2014, 01:36 PM
thought I would throw in Headland golf club as well as what has been mentioned. 25 min from Caloundra. good track imho

matty
29th April 2014, 08:56 PM
.............to seek the serenity of a golf course to help enhance my calm.

:smt017

Hatchman
30th April 2014, 12:41 AM
My worst day at golf is still much better than being couped up and sparing with a grumpy Mrs Hatch and a feral Hatchling.

Hatchman
30th April 2014, 12:47 AM
Looking/hoping to get a game the 1st week we are there on the Gold Coast as well.
What's around that area that worth having a hit on.

matty
30th April 2014, 06:08 AM
My worst day at golf is still much better than being couped up and sparing with a grumpy Mrs Hatch and a feral Hatchling.

Can relate.

goughy
30th April 2014, 06:19 AM

A 'worst day at golf' is still better than 99% of other days...

Looney
30th April 2014, 09:38 AM
With the great weather we have had here on the GC I would expect all of our courses to be in great condition, Both of my clubs are looking great as both have club champs in the next 4 weeks.
I was at Lakelands this morning and the course looks great with the greens quick and firm and the fairways looking great.

markTHEblake
30th April 2014, 12:50 PM
Looking/hoping to get a game the 1st week we are there on the Gold Coast as well. What's around that area that worth having a hit on.Bribie Island

Hatchman
13th May 2014, 08:02 PM
Any thing else around the Gold Cost worth having hit on?

Only 5 more days before we invade.

markTHEblake
13th May 2014, 08:10 PM
Bribie Island

Any thing else around the Gold Cost worth having hit on?

Was I too subtle?

Consider Murwillumbah.

Hatchman
14th May 2014, 10:01 PM
Glades or Brookwater?
Which is the better?

golfbound
14th May 2014, 10:04 PM
Brookwater is a harder longer course Glades i find can be a little boring.

I would pick Brookwater myself

sms316
15th May 2014, 06:20 AM
Play Brookwater just so you can see it and experience 430m holes with the width of a hallway.

meh
15th May 2014, 10:35 AM
Definitely brookwater out of the two mentioned.

Hatchman
15th May 2014, 01:12 PM
Looks like it's Brookwater for the Gold Coast leg.
Showed the pics of Brookwater on the web to Mrs Hatch. She said gee that looks good, won't you be worried about hitting it into all those trees? The reply was yes I will and it's likely I could hit a lot of them, but will be loving it at the same time.

Wed 21st and Fri 23rd will be my chances to play as we have firm plans on other days.

Waggle
15th May 2014, 02:47 PM
I thought Brookwater was overrated. It's hard, make no mistake about that, however its conditioning when I played there towards the end of last year was disappointing. The Glades is ok, worth playing at least once. If you enjoy taking wipes and hitting it into trees then play brookwater. If you prefer wider fairways and water then play the glades.

Daves
15th May 2014, 04:33 PM
I played Brookwater back in March and it was in sensational condition, the best I have seen it.

Hatchman
16th May 2014, 03:35 PM
Booked into Brookwater for Tuesday today. It was the only day I could get on so Mrs changed our plans to make it possible. Caught her on a good day.

3Puttpete
16th May 2014, 03:44 PM
Isn't Tuesday the day the old blokes have their 5.5hr stroke rounds?

Hatchman
16th May 2014, 04:09 PM

Here's hoping my early am time slot makes it not quite so bad then.
If the course is as good as the pics I'm sure it won't faze me that much and I'll have more time to take some pics.

BrettM
16th May 2014, 07:23 PM
I live in Brookwater and the course is in good condition at the moment.

Hatchman
18th May 2014, 11:31 PM
Round at Pelican Water in Comp with SMS and others that may fill the other two spots on Sat 31st (see post in 1st Tee thread). Looking forward to it and putting faces to names.

Hatchman
20th May 2014, 11:06 AM

Missed the old farts. Got to Brookwater 45min early. Was able to get on before anyone else had hit off. Ripped around in 2 1/2 hrs and took pics on every hole.

All I can say is WOW this course is awesome. Wasn't as tight as I thought it might be. Greens were fantastic, fairways nicely sculptured. The variety of holes impressed.

Can't believe a course this good is open to the public. The presentation and quality is up there with the best privates in Adelaide.
Glad I've added this one to my list.

3Puttpete
20th May 2014, 12:32 PM
Good to hear.

It would have been unlucky, I made it up :)

Hatchman
20th May 2014, 05:42 PM
Good to hear.

It would have been unlucky, I made it up :)

Barsteward, good one you got me.

Lagerlover
20th May 2014, 06:10 PM
Can't believe a course this good is open to the public. The presentation and quality is up there with the best privates in Adelaide.

Helps when you when the long sleeve guernsey..