PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 30 December 2013

Marto65
31st December 2013, 03:16 PM
Have been playing crap.

Went out early today at Virginia and had 39 points. Will remain off 8. Tees were well forward, would be surprised if the rating holds up.

4 birdies on the back 9 (11,14,16,17) ... happy days.

Pieface
31st December 2013, 10:06 PM
Played at WAGC with the nuffinator yesterday. Had his number for the first 4 holes as we rode the bogey train together but he hit his tee shot on 5 to about 2m and shut me up with a bird to take my lunch money.

I had good day for me
93/71
I had 38 putts and 1/13 fairways so I went alright in between those two points!
4 pars, 6 singles, 4 dubs and 4 triples.

Shout out to bergs for his read on 18 to help me drop a bomb for par :)

Mububban
31st December 2013, 10:42 PM
For the first and possibly last time in my life, my scorecard briefly read 2 under par :D Started birdie birdie, then gave it away with a double bogey on a par 3. Ugh. Ended up shooting a 43 for 9 holes. After the good start only made one more par, then bogey or doubles. My swing sucks.

I'm consistently going short-right of the green on par 3s, even ones that feel flush. Any advice?

PeteyD
31st December 2013, 11:28 PM
Take a longer club.

Mububban
31st December 2013, 11:50 PM
I thought about typing "useful advice only". Silly me for not bothering.

Short and right, consistently. Not a slicing spinning fade, just a high ball lands short right.

BenM
1st January 2014, 12:12 AM
Open face at impact Mub. Square it up!

Marto65
1st January 2014, 09:41 AM
Have been playing crap.

Went out early today at Virginia and had 39 points. Will remain off 8. Tees were well forward, would be surprised if the rating holds up.

4 birdies on the back 9 (11,14,16,17) ... happy days.

Well ... not only did the rating hold up, it rated 1 above. Don't ask me how, but if I need to lower my hcap, I know where to play.

oncewasagolfer
1st January 2014, 10:29 AM
Lost a ball with my 2nd shot of the day yesterday so started with a double. Hit some solid shots for the next 10 or so holes but couldnt make a putt then got pissed off after stupid bogeys on 12 & 13 then had 8 on 14. Went from 8.1 to 9.6 as a played to 1 dropped off:( I need to minimize the damage and get some more played to single figures in my gl.

40-45-85/77

5 fwys
5 greens
32 putts

PeteyD
1st January 2014, 11:45 AM
I thought about typing "useful advice only". Silly me for not bothering.

Short and right, consistently. Not a slicing spinning fade, just a high ball lands short right.

It was serious. Longer club goes further.

Watch the videos that Daves linked up on impact.

Ashes
1st January 2014, 12:14 PM
It was serious. Longer club goes further.

Watch the videos that Daves linked up on impact.

Mububban wanted a highly technical response that was irrelevant to a choppers game.

Johnny Canuck
1st January 2014, 02:03 PM
Mububban wanted a highly technical response that was irrelevant to a choppers game.

To a scenario that could have dozens of causes.

BenM
1st January 2014, 02:32 PM
31 points today with 4 wipes. In the rain. After making a good birdie on 1.

Really struggling with driving. Everything else is decent!

KristianJ
1st January 2014, 02:42 PM
Had my traditional New Years Day hit with my dad at the 9 holer at Marsden Park.

35 (par 30)...a few garbage shots and an OOB tee shot into the driving range, but came home par, par, birdie after I figured out that my alignment was shite.

My dad only plays once a year and lipped out a par putt on the 1st which would have seen him 1 up on me.

First serious rounds should be Sat and Sun.

hocko
1st January 2014, 02:56 PM
36 points on Monday.
Did not hit a fairway with my driver which was used 12 times!
Friggin chopper.

AndyP
1st January 2014, 03:10 PM
1/1/14, Wolston Park GC, Stableford.

7/11 effective tee-shots, 6/18 effective approaches, 5/9 up and down successes, 31 putts.
0 birdies, 11 pars, 4 bogeys, 3 other.

Scoring: BPPPPPPBP BPPXBXPPX
Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20140101-p135.html): 37-42-79 stab 20-13-33pts. (Par 35-32-67 ACR 65)

H/cap Change: Out 0.2 to 8.2. I just gave back what I had gained on Saturday.

I was going alright, despite the inconsistent driver, until a woeful stretch of 3 holes on the back nine, which included a shank, a shot from the mud, and a few pulls. I thought I had got it back on track before blowing two OOB on the last. The putting was good all day until the grain took control and my line and length suffered.

33 points would have been acceptable before the start of the round, but not so much from the position I was in.

Next round: Maybe a couple of weekends away.

Yossarian
1st January 2014, 05:37 PM
8 fairways
6 greens
43 putts.

Buzz
1st January 2014, 06:35 PM
Nice start to the year for me in the New Years Day Stableford at Belconnen Magpies GC, 46-44 (90) was 19-20 (39) playing off 21. Five pars and a sweet birdie on the par 4 6th. Wiped 15 which cost me the win, some guy won on 40 and I came equal 2nd on 39 but 4th on countback, must have been some nice back nines.

jimandr
1st January 2014, 08:34 PM
I'm going to be the first to say that I have recorded my best round of the year so far.

Now that weak joke is out of the way I'm very hopeful that my 35 points off the white tees at Ballina won't remain my best round all year. It was a nearly round. Nearly very good, but some really bad shots crept in just as I was building some confidence and looking like getting a good score.

Still anchored.

Peppas
1st January 2014, 08:39 PM
Shot 46/46 which got me 33pts off my 18 handicap at Shell Cove to take me down to 17.4. Yes I have achieved my golfing dream for the year and now don't have a shot on every hole for my next round or two! It feels so good to have achieved so much this year. Maybe I will buy something new to celebrate :)

mrbluu
1st January 2014, 10:02 PM
Shot 46/46 which got me 33pts off my 18 handicap at Shell Cove to take me down to 17.4. Yes I have achieved my golfing dream for the year and now don't have a shot on every hole for my next round or two! It feels so good to have achieved so much this year. Maybe I will buy something new to celebrate :)

Good work mate.

Courty
1st January 2014, 10:51 PM
Stab round this morning at Cairns with Haysey & Solarman,

Started well, +1 on the front for 21pts (8 pars, 1 bogey). Back didn't go quite so well. The 2 birdies couldn't counteract the 2 triples. :oops: 16pts with 2 wipes for 37 total and a shiny new 6 handicap.

catch22
2nd January 2014, 06:42 PM
Played Hervey Bay this morning with benno_r - disaster scoring wise but fun company wise!

Big thanks to benno for loaning me his spare clubs (with driver/3 wood swap between the driving range the other day and today already! What a ho ;)

Anyhoo - a wonderful 21 points - 7 front and 14 back, with 7 wipes.

After hitting the first in reg and parring, it all went badly from then on. I also hate bunkers.
Finished well at least, with 8 points in the last 3 holes.

Playing Maryborough on saturday with benno... aiming for 30 points!

LarryLong
2nd January 2014, 11:02 PM
Social round at Elcho Park, played barefoot for a laugh and shot 83 off the stick which is a great score for me. Would be worth 42 points. Must have been the OzGolf polo. I drove it all over the place and got away with it most of the time - I don't think I would have scored anything like that if I played that way at my local.

oldracer
3rd January 2014, 07:18 AM
Ah lovely Royal Lara, what nick was it in?

Courty
3rd January 2014, 07:29 AM
I played at the Royal G (Gordonvale GC) yesterday arve with Haysey & Solarman.

I shot 34pts, which on its own sounds pretty reasonable. But given some poor greenside work on a few holes it should really have been 36 or better.

9 FIR, 5 GIR & 29 putts.

LarryLong
3rd January 2014, 12:21 PM
Ah lovely Royal Lara, what nick was it in?

It wasn't too bad, for a course I've heard plenty of bad remarks about. The first green had a big dead patch in it and I thought it was going to be a long day, but the rest were fine. The fairways had plenty of grass, and none of the day five at the WACA cracks that I've heard about. Overall, not bad for a goatie. I'd happily play there again for the 18 dollar green fee.

oldracer
3rd January 2014, 03:06 PM
Well that's good then as I use to hack around there as a tacker and it was horrible, so was I tho

BenM
3rd January 2014, 07:28 PM
I played a practice round with a mate today. Took some video in the nets beforehand to see where my swing was at, then went out and played 18 holes of stableford, off the back blocks (practice for monthly medal tomorrow).

Surprisingly, I hit the ball quite well, I even managed to hit the driver pretty well for the first half of the round. Unsurprisingly, I ran out of puff and finished double bogey (wipe), bogey (1pt) for 37 points. But all the signs are good for tomorrow.

Still really, really keen to get it back to single figures before pennant season comes along... not to mention Vic champs etc!

Coldtopper
3rd January 2014, 10:06 PM
Had a red round at Gisborne today to take some cash. Feels good to be back hitting the odd one out middle again with lessons, 50 balls a day, lots more short game practice, gambling on course and fun for this 40+ old fart in 2014.

Yossarian
3rd January 2014, 10:22 PM
Had under 40 putts today. Good times.

3Puttpete
4th January 2014, 01:05 AM
Had under 40 putts today. Good times.

Me too! Woohoo!

KristianJ
4th January 2014, 01:27 PM
36 points this morning at Richmond (20/16). Warmish but wore long pants and felt comfortable enough.

Left a few out there with 2 greenside chips hitting the flag and not going in, plus a couple of lip outs.

Cap should drop below 12.5 so off 12 for Cumbo tomorrow.

davepuppies
4th January 2014, 01:45 PM
Nice KJ.

Soon enough you will be off single figures, you just gotta learn to conquer the back 9, it gets you every time.

3Puttpete
4th January 2014, 02:19 PM
87/70 monthly medal
7 fairways
2 GIR
31 putts. 1 x 3 putt

KristianJ
4th January 2014, 02:27 PM
Nice KJ.

Soon enough you will be off single figures, you just gotta learn to conquer the back 9, it gets you every time.

Sure does...3 more putts, 2 shots in the drink, costly doubles on 14 (where I only had 130 in and pushed it into the drink) and 15...but I only dropped 1 point over 16, 17 and 18. :lol:

Gonna be in the city with my folks next Sat so no monthly medal round, but I'll be hoping for a complete 18 on the 18th.

By the way, they're starting a 9 hole chook run on Tue and Thur arvos from the 7th. If it's on the front 9 I should be a shoe in! :mrgreen:

BrisWesty
4th January 2014, 02:40 PM
31 pts today in 39 degrees. Some ridiculously good scores (some 42s and 41s) given the heat.
Currently have NTP for the 8th (22cm).
8/13 fairways, 5 GIR
34 putts (2 x 3 putt)

Courty
4th January 2014, 02:51 PM
Monthly medal at Cairns GC this morning with Haysey & poc.
I was hanging on (on handicap or +1) through 11, then went triple, double to blow it apart. Just wasn't quite feeling it today.
I did, however, leave my name on 2 NTP markers, so hopefully I'll pick at least one of them up.

timah!
4th January 2014, 03:01 PM
Medal at Gainsborough. Started ok, but a few rubbish shots coming down the last few holes of the front nine blew me out and the next didn't start any better.
A long walk in the heat, but good to be out...

BenM
4th January 2014, 03:42 PM
Short version (haiku form)

Played golf quite badly
Seventy nine nett boo hoo
6 iron whoopsie

Long version:

It was blowing pretty strongly today (pretty much the entire state has a severe weather warning for damaging winds). Forecast was 30-40kph and we got all of that. Not a good day for golf... Shot 79 nett (and had to finish really strongly to do that, it could've been plenty worse).

Most of my problem is still with driver. Hit 3 or 4 really scungy pulls low and left. No confidence, trying to steer it. When I try and swing hard they go okay. The rest of my game is as good as it's ever been, truly.

Highlight 1: Left myself a 40 footer for birdie on 2. Hit it off the front of the green, about 15 foot past, with a sprinkler head right on my line. No worries. Chipped it in. I think that's 3 chipins in 4 rounds now.

Highlight 2: 180m par 3 14th, into the teeth of the wind. Put a great swing on a 4 iron which went like a tracer bullet and never looked like missing. But it did... it rolled up, hit the pin and bounced to 45cm. Sooooo close to a HIO. At least I should win the NTP.

Lowlight: almost killing my playing partner with a flying clubhead. Ooops :oops:

Lowlight: 3 penalty strokes (2 lost balls, one water hazard), and a lot of swearing.

Now excuse me while I go and order a shaft and hope it gets here before next weekend... On the upside at least it got me motivated enough to go and buy a vice so I can start fixing my own clubs.

Dangals
4th January 2014, 04:32 PM
5 over for 36 points (17/19) this morning at Richmond with a couple of really weak bogies thrown in for good measure where I failed to get up and down from some really easy positions.... Putting was better than last week but still not great. Went birdie, bogey , birdie to finish though which was a reasonable way to finish.

davepuppies
4th January 2014, 05:15 PM
5 over for 36 points (17/19) this morning at Richmond with a couple of really weak bogies thrown in for good measure where I failed to get up and down from some really easy positions.... Putting was better than last week but still not great. Went birdie, bogey , birdie to finish though which was a reasonable way to finish.

Nice Dan!

What are you down to now?

Dangals
4th January 2014, 05:42 PM
Nice Dan!

What are you down to now?

Back down to 5 after a couple of consecutive good rounds... Just need to keep it there now.

matty
4th January 2014, 05:56 PM
Well played Dan. Slowly getting back to your correct weight.

Dangals
4th January 2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks Matty - I can feel it coming back but I am just wasting lots of shots on my short game still .... Gotta organise to meet up like we discussed

matty
4th January 2014, 06:29 PM
I'm heading up sometime late tomorrow arvo, or around 7ish if you're around. Maybe DP will come up too?

Dangals
4th January 2014, 06:33 PM
That could work... I will let you know tomorrow

catch22
4th January 2014, 07:22 PM
26 points at Maryborough today - 10f/16b.

Big thanks again to benno_r for loaning his clubs and playing with me - thankfully he played a lot better than I did the past couple of days (although he wasnt swinging the best today, he still adjusted and found the fairway most of the time unlike me - think the handicaps were around the wrong way!)

I guess the positives are that I didnt lose any balls, didnt go near the water and hit a couple of nice shots amongst all the bad ones.

benno_r
4th January 2014, 07:35 PM
26 points at Maryborough today - 10f/16b.

Big thanks again to benno_r for loaning his clubs and playing with me - thankfully he played a lot better than I did the past couple of days (although he wasnt swinging the best today, he still adjusted and found the fairway most of the time unlike me - think the handicaps were around the wrong way!)

I guess the positives are that I didnt lose any balls, didnt go near the water and hit a couple of nice shots amongst all the bad ones.

Don't know about that mate, once you found the sweet spot of that Adams, you were crunching it!

30pts for me 16f/14b. Working on my pitching which has previously sucked. At least I can get it airbourne, have to work on direction now. Got that funny feeling its all coming together very soon.

BUSHY
4th January 2014, 08:52 PM
Had it going ok until my tee shot got a bad bounce on 16. End result played the last 3 in +5 for 81.

highballin
4th January 2014, 09:00 PM
Nett 82 monthly medal. 100 off the stick :cry:

Monthly medal before had 83 off the stick nett 63. Ohhh the glory days :roll:

BrisWesty
5th January 2014, 07:09 AM
31 pts today in 39 degrees. Some ridiculously good scores (some 42s and 41s) given the heat.
Currently have NTP for the 8th (22cm).
8/13 fairways, 5 GIR
34 putts (2 x 3 putt)

Held the NTP. There's something funny when the Pro pin (and silver circle) is worth more than double the prize for winning a division. That said, it's the first time I've won it in 10 years and I'll take it.

mrbluu
5th January 2014, 08:34 AM
Played yesterday at Cabra had 32 points. Scramble well again to have 19points on the front nine and leaked oil all the way home from the 11th hole including bogies on 14, 15, 16 (3 putt) and 17. The bogey train started on the par 3 14th where some knobber sneezed and got me on my downswing and I nearly dumped it into the hazard, was lucky to made bogey. Hit some nice putts on the back nine that stayed out. Nice sand save and putt on 18 for par finish on a positive note. Didn't have a birdie, but I also didn't have a double either.

Stats:

0 x birdies
7 x GIR
1 x 3 putts
6 x 1 putts
31 putts total

mrbluu
5th January 2014, 08:37 AM
36 points this morning at Richmond (20/16). Warmish but wore long pants and felt comfortable enough.

Left a few out there with 2 greenside chips hitting the flag and not going in, plus a couple of lip outs.

Cap should drop below 12.5 so off 12 for Cumbo tomorrow.

Good job lads!!!

Buzz
5th January 2014, 03:37 PM
19-15 34 points at Belconnen Magpies this morning. Played really solid on the front ... six two pointers, two threes and one 1 pointer. Four one pointers on the back though to fade away although finished on a high with a 3 pointer on the last.

Best stat was only 29 putts but I think that's more indicative of missing greens but chipping close enough to one putt.

BenM
5th January 2014, 04:13 PM
19-15 34 points at Belconnen Magpies this morning. Played really solid on the front ... six two pointers, two threes and one 1 pointer. Four one pointers on the back though to fade away although finished on a high with a 3 pointer on the last.

Best stat was only 29 putts but I think that's more indicative of missing greens but chipping close enough to one putt.

How is it these days?

I played all my junior golf there!

Buzz
5th January 2014, 05:11 PM
Pretty good ... Not the best condition I have seen it but decent. 17th fairway a bit dry and patchy but the rest are good. Greens a bit slow but will little rain they have to keep the water up.

WBennett
5th January 2014, 05:15 PM
ACT Christmas Cup part 2 played today - Monsta65, Nug300, Denton and myself at the Lakes.
Wild winds, exemplified by a few 300m drives on 7 and 8 downwind, and scores ended up with me on 36, Nug 35,Monsta 34, Dento 33.

Should get down to 8.8 - a new all time PB!

Good to see Monsta start to show some form - and he should be out to 12 by the Vic Champs. Solarman should be alarmed.

WBennett
5th January 2014, 05:16 PM
Buzz, I haven't played Belco in years. I should get out there one weekend with you.

BenM
5th January 2014, 05:21 PM
Good to hear Buzz... It's changed a lot since I last played it (pre development) from what Benno has told me. Really must get up to CBR again.

Well done on the hcap drop Benno. You are doing a great job of taking yourself out of Vic Champs contention :)

KristianJ
5th January 2014, 05:45 PM
40 points at Cumberland with 3oneday.

At the turn (started on back 9) I could've thought I'd conquered the game...25 points and -1 off the stick with 3 birds, 2 bogeys, 11 putts and the rest regulation pars.

Then I had a kransky roll and the form slipped a bit. 15 points on front 9 with a couple of horrid doubles (one of which was as a result of me being lazy on a tap in). 19 putts with 2 3 putts.

Cap down to 11.6...unless I can jag a Sun arvo hit next week the next one will possibly be 17 January.

PS: I heart my 3 wood.

Buzz
5th January 2014, 06:33 PM
Buzz, I haven't played Belco in years. I should get out there one weekend with you.

That would be good sometime if you don't mind playing with a hacker off 20 :-)

Dangals
5th January 2014, 06:38 PM

At the turn (started on back 9) I could've thought I'd conquered the game...25 points and -1 off the stick with 3 birds, 2 bogeys, 11 putts and the rest regulation pars.

Then I had a kransky roll and the form slipped a bit. 15 points on front 9 with a couple of horrid doubles (one of which was as a result of me being lazy on a tap in). 19 putts with 2 3 putts.

Cap down to 11.6...unless I can jag a Sun arvo hit next week the next one will possibly be 17 January.

Great work kj - keep that kind of play up and you will be off single figures in no time.

Buzz
5th January 2014, 06:39 PM
Good to hear Buzz... It's changed a lot since I last played it (pre development) from what Benno has told me. Really must get up to CBR again.

Well done on the hcap drop Benno. You are doing a great job of taking yourself out of Vic Champs contention :)

It's definitely better since Magpies got involved. I was surprised it got a slope rating of 129 though.

BenM
5th January 2014, 06:47 PM
It's definitely better since Magpies got involved. I was surprised it got a slope rating of 129 though.

Yeah that's higher than my local, and I don't remember it being that tough. Though I only really remember the first 4 or so holes and the last couple and it will have changed a bit.

Slothman
6th January 2014, 11:41 AM
Net 74 Monthly Mug on Saturday at the Albany GC. Course is getting really nice for the Wittenoom Cup in 3 weeks. I reckon only one green will be "below awesome". Should be a good weekend.

Coulda woulda shoulda day as I 3 putted the ninth to hit 40 off the stick (was thinking if I made the birdie putt I would break my record for the nine....than lost concentration on the second). Than had 3 Triple Bogeys on the back after losing my mind :)

One shot better...at any point would have put me to my goal of 12.....sitting at 12.5 now...nearly there.

3oneday
6th January 2014, 01:25 PM

PS: I heart my 3 wood.You came 2nd in A grade by one point :) You should have a voucher though.

Jackson
6th January 2014, 01:55 PM
-2 in a par round at Seaview yesterday. +3 on the front and -5 on the back.
Drove the ball better than normal but didn't make the most of it, especially on the back 9. Putted like garbage as well with 36 putts for the day.
First round since before Christmas though, so putting the poor back 9 down to being a bit rusty.

Positive for the day was that I took out the long drive prize on the longest par 4.

Ashes
6th January 2014, 02:08 PM
Drove the ball better than normal but didn't make the most of it, especially on the back 9. Putted like garbage as well with 36 putts for the day.
First round since before Christmas though, so putting the poor back 9 down to being a bit rusty.

Positive for the day was that I took out the long drive prize on the longest par 4.

What sort of condition is it in?

Jackson
6th January 2014, 02:13 PM
What sort of condition is it in?

Pretty good, a lot better than last year. No patchiness on the greens like there was, they were a little slow but not bumpy.
Temporary green in play on hole 5/14, the new section that was being done last year is ready to go, but the old section that they were using died so they have decided to re-do the whole lot. Just a mown section in between the two green side bunkers being used.
Fairways/teeboxes/bunkers all in good shape.

Eca
6th January 2014, 07:49 PM

Gr8 round guys!

Hatchman
7th January 2014, 02:46 PM
Thought I'd posted my score form the weekend but hadn't

Medal Round Kapunda Saturday.
First round for 2014. Can I have a mulligan for the whole round?

Very windy conditions, wish I could blame that on the score but sadly it was all me or more so all the putter.
Worst day with the flat stick since I don't know when. The hole looked like a thimble, even from 2 foot. Finding the middle of the cup even from very short range was an effort.
Had one of those days where every time I went near a tree I nailed a big branch. 5 times my ball was found back 20-30m form the tree that was hit.
On the upside I hit a number of irons pure during the round. Ball striking had dropped off at the end of 2013 so that was good that had returned.
Had three eagle opportunities for the day and walk off with none and only two birdies. One chance from 8 foot, 10 foot and the other about 40 foot.

Stats
Kapunda Par 73, ACR 72
Score = 86/82
Effective Drives_6/15 = 40%
Greens in Reg_6/18 = 33.3
Up/Down Par Saves_2/12 = 16.7%
Putts = 38
3 birdies, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 3 three stabs, 1 four stabb

BUSHY
7th January 2014, 03:08 PM
Ediy: Wrong topic

matty
8th January 2014, 07:13 AM

Great going KJ.