PDA

View Full Version : Golfer's elbow

bergsey
13th December 2013, 09:50 AM
Seems like I've strained some ligaments in my forearm or have a case of golfers elbow. Straightening the right arm is painful on the inside of the elbow

Anyone suffered the same? How long did it take to heal? Any tips for treatment?

Dotty
13th December 2013, 09:58 AM
Here's one from last year ...

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/30009-Golfers-Elbow

3oneday
13th December 2013, 10:03 AM
I have it, been about 6 months now. No real end in sight, some days are better than others. Actually gets worse working in the yard moreso than golf.

oldracer
13th December 2013, 10:21 AM
I have it, been about 6 months now. No real end in sight, some days are better than others. Actually gets worse working in the yard moreso than golf. easy fix that one then!!!! u guys might have to go in for Tommy John surgery, done the UCL, rest and rehab u'll be back throwing within 12 months :roll:

Peppas
13th December 2013, 10:39 AM
Same as 3oneday, except I had mine since about Feb. And it might be tennis elbow seeing as for me its the muscles on the outside of the forearm. Mine's getting better slowly, managed to get through 3 rounds/3 days the other week so I will hopefully get through the 4 rounds/4 days at Vic champs in a few months! Lots of ice and stretching...

matty
13th December 2013, 10:44 AM
I got it really, really bad the outside of the right elbow, pretty much on the point of the elbow. It inflames more if I hit off driving range mats (which I rarely do) but I think the main culprit is poor swing technique.

For me, that is throwing the arms at the ball. Interestingly it got so bad that I was afraid to go anywhere near straightening the right arm in the swing. It'd feel like an electric shock in the elbow if I did. So I'd tuck the elbow in on the hip and keep it there.

Guess what, some of my best rounds and the right sided misses went.

The elbow got better and I try to be more aware of the correct technique now. It's virtually gone now and only sore now if I try to straighten, stretch and flex my right arm. Biatch of an injury though.

Outcast
13th December 2013, 11:07 AM
I have it, been about 6 months now. No real end in sight, some days are better than others. Actually gets worse working in the yard moreso than golf.

I got it really, really bad the outside of the right elbow, pretty much on the point of the elbow. It inflames more if I hit off driving range mats (which I rarely do) but I think the main culprit is poor swing technique.

For me, that is throwing the arms at the ball. Interestingly it got so bad that I was afraid to go anywhere near straightening the right arm in the swing. It'd feel like an electric shock in the elbow if I did. So I'd tuck the elbow in on the hip and keep it there.

Guess what, some of my best rounds and the right sided misses went.

The elbow got better and I try to be more aware of the correct technique now. It's virtually gone now and only sore now if I try to straighten, stretch and flex my right arm. Biatch of an injury though.

Similar to both 3 & Matty, I've had it for about 6 months. Inside left elbow and outside right elbow (I'm a right hander). Mine was caused through overactive hands which was causing the muscles in different parts of my forearms to work extra hard which over time, led to muscles that were extremely tight & exerting pressure on nerves.

Physio for about 3 months, which included dry needling of the offending muscles & deep, deep massage to allow the anchor points of the muscles to let go as well. I was also advised to change to thicker grips to slow my hands down & look to make some swing changes. I went through some experiments with one or two clubs & Lamkin midsize grips; some minor swing changes with my pro to focus on hitting fades & slowing my hands down and everything has largely settled down.

I still get pain from certain hand actions, such as from using pruners in the garden or, long periods with a line trimmer but, I know how to manage those issues now. Golf is pain free at last but, my handicap did / has suffered a little. I am now working on trusting my new swing & making sure I get back to the ball square at impact because if I don't, my fades start right & go further right = bad.

Find yourself a good physic, preferably one that plays golf & can make the links between what you do & what might be causing the pain & work from there.

Eca
13th December 2013, 11:08 AM
wore an arm brace for 8 months for suppor like in pic. When the pain eased, did some light exercise while driving like rubbing thumb, squeezing/twisting steering wheel. Then eventually played without the brace. Someone also told me keep that aircon vents while driving away from the injury.. no idea if relevant but when in pain.. gotta try things I suppose.

3oneday
13th December 2013, 11:13 AM
Mine is outside left forearm, around where the hairy one above is wearing his brace. I guess that's tennis elbow.

I am fairly certain it is related to poor technique, currently undergoing some swing changes and lessons so will be interesting to see if relearning how to rotate my body eases up the arm pain.

bergsey
13th December 2013, 11:13 AM
Holy crap! Hopefully have a mild case. Was a bit sore a couple of weeks ago after 2 rounds in a few days but no major problem. Played on sat and that's when it has got a lot worse. Perhaps a couple of weeks off would be a wise move...

Leftfoot75
13th December 2013, 11:19 AM
Try accupuncture fellas. Plus massaging and stretching the muscles and tendons around that area. I can recommend a good accupunturist at ermington nsw. Worth trying if you've had it's been ongoing for months.

Steve57
13th December 2013, 11:24 AM
Had mine (tennis elbow on right arm) for at least eight months.
Tried rest, exercise, physio, and alternative health guy all to no avail so went to doctor 3 weeks ago and explained all I had been through.
He gave me a cortisone injection that hurt like hell but 2 days later all was fixed.
He also gave me a specific exercise to do and touch wood it has stayed away.
Get the occasional twinge but up the exercises and it is good again.

Eca
13th December 2013, 11:40 AM
Mine is outside left forearm, around where the hairy one above is wearing his brace. I guess that's tennis elbow.

I am fairly certain it is related to poor technique, currently undergoing some swing changes and lessons so will be interesting to see if relearning how to rotate my body eases up the arm pain.

exact same place for me. Quack said brace will support the healing. That area for me does a lot of work in my swing for contro. Jimenez wasnt wearing his anymore from 2 weekends ago so they do heal :)

Shortylook
14th December 2013, 10:20 PM
Heaps of guys at work get tennis elbow from hammering for long periods( 5-10 years). Lots wear the elbow strap thing, but the best thing for it is rest so the physio tells them. Surgery is the other option

bergsey
17th December 2013, 01:15 AM
Went to the physio today, she thinks it may be referred pain from shoulder/neck.

Got some needles in to release the muscles which hurt like friggin hell. Feeling pretty sore and sorry now but hopefully does the trick in a few days

simmsy
17th December 2013, 09:03 AM
Probably from hangin ya head in shame watching ya footy team
:)

Eca
17th December 2013, 09:40 AM
Went to the physio today, she thinks it may be referred pain from shoulder/neck.

Got some needles in to release the muscles which hurt like friggin hell. Feeling pretty sore and sorry now but hopefully does the trick in a few days

That works, give you more pain elsewhere so you cant feel original pain :)
Hard to imagine the link but they have the qualifications..

bergsey
19th March 2014, 01:55 AM
On to my second physio now and still having problems with my shoulder. Both reckon the pain in the elbow is nerve pain being referred from the shoulder. Getting lots of dry needling done but really stirs things up and not really improving

Time to get some scans now I think :(

Mububban
19th March 2014, 01:06 PM
Have you kept playing at your normal frequency? Has it got any worse, or just got to the point you're at and stayed that way, not better or worse?

I sometimes get a pain on the outside of my right elbow when straightening it, just behind the point. Not massive pain but not pleasant either. Doesn't seem to get better or worse, it's just there.

Steve57
19th March 2014, 01:27 PM
Outside of elbow is tennis elbow, inside is golfers elbow.

Birdie2Bogey
19th March 2014, 09:47 PM
Almost 20 years of playing tennis and not once did I get tennis elbow, got it after playing 4 rounds in 7 days on holidays this summer.

bergsey
8th June 2014, 09:41 PM
Had an MRI done last week and have a compressed C7 nerve in my neck. Looks like that is causing referred pain elsewhere.

On some nerve blocking drugs for 6 weeks see how that goes.. In the meantime golf has gone to shit! :(

simmsy
8th June 2014, 10:43 PM
Sorry to hear Bergs.
Hope it gets better soon.

Just one point of clarification?

"In the meantime, golf has gone to shit!"

Just how long does one call "meantime"

;)

Johnny Canuck
8th June 2014, 10:53 PM
Ouch bergs.

Big ouch Simms. That's cold.

bergsey
8th June 2014, 10:58 PM
Sorry to hear Bergs.
Hope it gets better soon.

Just one point of clarification?

"In the meantime, golf has gone to shit!"

Just how long does one call "meantime"

;)

Now there is a reason ! Perhaps I've been carrying it for 20 years ;)

simmsy
8th June 2014, 11:36 PM
:)

Still the best looking golfer in OzGolf.
And never as shit as Ashes.