PDA

View Full Version : Basic GPS for occasional golfer

3oneday
11th December 2013, 10:34 PM
Looking on golfclearance outlet having been given a $150 budget from my mother in law for a gps for one of my BILs.

Anyone familiar with:

Sureshot Micro 300x
Garmin G3

Both in the price range, and seemingly read ok.

Any thoughts on these or similar?

3Puttpete
11th December 2013, 10:49 PM
Happy with the G3. It does everything he'll need it to do including hole maps

mrbluu
11th December 2013, 10:52 PM
Looking on golfclearance outlet having been given a $150 budget from my mother in law for a gps for one of my BILs.

Anyone familiar with:

Sureshot Micro 300x
Garmin G3

Both in the price range, and seemingly read ok.

Any thoughts on these or similar?

Only down side for me with the g3 was the use if AA batteries, where u have to remove to recharge.

davidw88
11th December 2013, 11:03 PM
I have the sure shot micro and it is pretty good to use.

backintheswing
11th December 2013, 11:15 PM
I have a G3, picked it up from dick smith for $20. It will need rechargeable batteries as a fully charged set only lasts about 2 rounds.

3oneday
12th December 2013, 06:56 AM
They are also selling Bushnell Neo Plus, anyone know about these?

hacker
12th December 2013, 09:59 AM
I have the Bushnell Neo Plus and love it. It doesn't give me too much information to confuse me and sits very nicely in my pocket. I feel it is accurate enough to tell me what club to hit to get it on the green, which at my level I am happy enough with. I haven't tried anything else aside from mobile phone golf gps apps to compare it to, which this is leaps and bounds better than.

Here is a link to the manual if you want to have a look is here www.bushnellgolf.com/downloads/neo_Plus_Manual_368150.pdf‎

The GCO one is an International model though which says it has 900 Aussie courses. The one at Golf box is $10 more with free postage and free case (http://www.golfbox.com.au/promotions.html), not sure if it is Aus or International model though.

3oneday
12th December 2013, 10:02 AM

Leftfoot75
12th December 2013, 04:43 PM
I bought my neo plus from gco about a year ago. Great little product. One charge lasts about 7 rounds. The only problem is keeping a tab on when to charge it.

GPT
12th December 2013, 04:45 PM
Happy Sureshot Micro user here

tim_golfer2
12th December 2013, 05:50 PM
I use a sureshot 8850 and it's great. Have used a micro and it was good t0o (a little less info on intermediate targets but the main info is there and it's very readable for my bad eyesight).

A mate at work was going to get the G3 today but was put off by the small screen size. It would be interesting to see one 'in the flesh'

Bucko
13th December 2013, 12:21 PM
Have you used or considered a phone app ??

I use swing by swing and its excellent. Has every Aussie course I've ever searched for, plus you can edit course maps online which then goes through an approval process. (which I've done for my local course)

Best of all, its free for the basic rangefinder.

The only downside that I've found is that it chews a lot of your phone battery, and a bit hard to see on your phone in direct sunlight.

http://www.swingbyswing.com/

3oneday
13th December 2013, 12:26 PM
I have the Bushnell Neo Plus and love it. It doesn't give me too much information to confuse me and sits very nicely in my pocket. I feel it is accurate enough to tell me what club to hit to get it on the green, which at my level I am happy enough with. I haven't tried anything else aside from mobile phone golf gps apps to compare it to, which this is leaps and bounds better than.

Here is a link to the manual if you want to have a look is here www.bushnellgolf.com/downloads/neo_Plus_Manual_368150.pdf‎

The GCO one is an International model though which says it has 900 Aussie courses. The one at Golf box is $10 more with free postage and free case (http://www.golfbox.com.au/promotions.html), not sure if it is Aus or International model though.

Bought this package last night.

The guy is a virtual non golfer, so hopefully this will be basic enough for him :)

TheTrueReview
13th December 2013, 05:02 PM
Garmin G3 + AA batteries & recharger from Apple store = happy days.