PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New Sydney couse

GPT
11th December 2013, 08:30 PM
Hi All

Currently at Kooindah Waters but live in Hills district. Sick of driving to Wyong and new membership structure means it's no longer a value option. Previously member at Riverside Oaks and prior to that Richmond, not interested in returning to them or joining Windsor. Looking at subs under 2k , no joining fee

My shortlist is

Lynwood (probably 1 st preference) but the Lynwood thread left me with 2nd thoughts
Macquarie Links (a bit over budget even with current deal) but great course
Penrith

Would like to hear comments about these clubs good and bad or others that I should consider

mrbluu
11th December 2013, 11:36 PM
Dunheved or Cabramatta, both very underrated.

If I was u Lynwood or Richmond would get my cash cos due to proximity and conditions.

Eca
12th December 2013, 12:27 AM
Glenmore Heritage also just a bit further though. I like all the courses mentioned so far. I was a member at Dunheved for a while until my 4yr break from the game. I rate Glenmore & lynwood higher.

Dangals
12th December 2013, 06:11 AM
Lynwood would be the choice if you are not interested in Richmond.

I used to be a member at penrith and while it's a decent track they have some serious debt issues and until that is resolved I personally would never go back.

Richmond gets my money for the moment due it being a good value plus now that the club has merged with the Richmond Club we are in a better position financially than most surrounding clubs.

matty
12th December 2013, 06:37 AM
I've played all those courses. Glenmore, Penrith, Mac links. Bit of a hike. Lynwood is probably the best test of golf and price is right but everyone keeps hearing they're in trouble. Stonecutters is good value once the joining fee is gone but good luck getting in the comp on a Saturday orjuntil late on a Sunday unless you sign in a week early in person. Plus the corporate days are increasing. I'm about to join Richmond. Close to me. Condition great atm. Hopefully it stays like that.

KristianJ
12th December 2013, 07:46 AM
I was talking to a fellow member at Richmond a fortnight ago. Apparently the Senior PGA is there for the next 3 years so plenty of reasons to maintain the course to the standard there is now.

live4golf
12th December 2013, 08:11 AM
I join Kooindah, you leave? - do I smell? :)

Lynwood would be my choice of the list you provide.

Are you 21-35? - If so, Castle Hill has a new membership category that might make that an option. It is a little over the $2k and there is a $1k joining fee but is a spectacular course

GPT
12th December 2013, 11:16 AM
I'm 48 so that deal doesn't apply. The comment on Stonecutters echoes my gut feel of the place hence didn't include in list.

Live4golf the reasons for leaving Kooindah was the drive, and the new membership structure means I'm paying over double now. The worst thing at Kooindah is winter. The 1st winter rains will leave the course a boggy mess for 3 months.

3oneday
12th December 2013, 11:21 AM
I just joined Cumberland, comps Satdy and Sunday morning and arvo. About $1500 a year no joining fee, members tell me it is going up about a hungy each year.

Massive greens, most 35 metres front to back, members seem fine, none that I wouldn't play with again.

Dunheved would be my 1st choice if they had Sunday morning comps, but they aren't likely to anytime soon.

Edit... happy to take you for a game one Sunday, fee is $35. Probably January now though.

mrbluu
12th December 2013, 01:57 PM
I just joined Cumberland, comps Satdy and Sunday morning and arvo. About $1500 a year no joining fee, members tell me it is going up about a hungy each year.

Massive greens, most 35 metres front to back, members seem fine, none that I wouldn't play with again.

Dunheved would be my 1st choice if they had Sunday morning comps, but they aren't likely to anytime soon.

Edit... happy to take you for a game one Sunday, fee is $35. Probably January now though.
Thanks for the invite :-(

3oneday
12th December 2013, 02:17 PM
Are you changing courses too?

:p

Rodent
12th December 2013, 02:34 PM
If you like to practice, Lynwood is lightyears ahead.

GPT
13th December 2013, 06:40 AM
Anyone know what the typical comp winning $$ are at Lynwood and is it difficult to get a game in the Saturday comps with cart?

WeekendHacker
13th December 2013, 06:55 AM
Generally on a Saturday the prize for Nett would get you between $70 and $90 depending on field size. Saturday comp is easy to get a game and you can book a cart when you book in for the comp as well and is never an issue getting one outside of the ambrose novelty events.

GPT
13th December 2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks for that, I take it you are a member there?

markTHEblake
13th December 2013, 02:20 PM
Lynwood has a new golf ops/coach on Stu McPhie, and have taken on the Aust. mid amateur for the next few years. I get the impression the club is working hard to improve things and lift the profile.

* not that a need to improve things means it was broken

WeekendHacker
13th December 2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for that, I take it you are a member there?
Yes I am. Have been there since they opened.

Steve
13th December 2013, 04:37 PM
Come to New Brighton, lovely little course.

matty
13th December 2013, 04:42 PM
Yes I am. Have been there since they opened.

I might have played with you when I was a member and never knew!
Can't beat the practice facilities there. Good news they got rid of the drip that was in the pro shop before Corrine.

rqrox
13th December 2013, 08:53 PM
I'm a former member of Richmond and current member of Lynwood and will be for the foreseeable future. It has great practice facilities, its always in good condition, good members and tough layout.
Like most courses, it's not making any money but have employed some good people and there has been some significant changes to the board so things are looking up.

GPT
14th December 2013, 06:55 AM
Lynwood is looking the goods so far

GPT
27th February 2014, 07:55 PM
Update, after looking around weighing up pros and cons of a few courses , joined Lynwood today. 1st comp game 8/3.:D

mrbluu
27th February 2014, 07:58 PM
Update, after looking around weighing up pros and cons of a few courses , joined Lynwood today. 1st comp game 8/3.:D

Nice work. It has great practice facilities but unless the wind is blowing I dont think it's a great test of golf.

davepuppies
27th February 2014, 08:27 PM
Are the fairways still quite hard? They are links,style couch right?

rqrox
27th February 2014, 08:36 PM
Dave you're a girl the fairways are fine!!
What time are you off GPT?, if a spot become available I'll jump in!

live4golf
27th February 2014, 08:36 PM

Good stuff. I like Lynwood, and the water will make you feel right at home :)

GPT
28th February 2014, 03:23 PM

7.04am

davepuppies
28th February 2014, 04:00 PM

A girl with a shattered right hand and torn ligaments........ Not good bedfellows with rock hard fairways.

The surgery didn't fix it completely, but I will be at 85% for life.

JADO75
28th February 2014, 04:18 PM
Any truth that Lynwood nearly closed down 3 weeks ago? Castle Hill rsl offered to buy them but were turned down

WBennett
28th February 2014, 06:36 PM
Wasnt Lynwood set for ever after selling all the land at Kellyville?

rqrox
28th February 2014, 07:35 PM
Fortunately or unfortunately NO to both.
We've just had ( financially) the best start to a year ever.
The build of the golf course including the club house etc took the majority of the money from the sale of the piece of land held by Kellyville country club.