PDA

View Full Version : Shaft install, easy to do?

adamsgolfer
11th December 2013, 11:05 AM
I need to try and save some cash and go down the DIY route OR try and find a hobby club builder who will help me do them for a case of beer...

What is involved in pullung old shafts and installing new shafts into irons? Easy enough to do? What tools do I need and where can I get them from (bunnings)?

LeftyHoges
11th December 2013, 11:20 AM
To pull iron shafts all you need is a heat gun or butane torch. Then just a drill bit or hosel brush to clean out the inside of the clubhead.

For the install, assuming the new shafts are tip prepped and clean then you just need some epoxy. Done and dusted.

TheNuclearOne
11th December 2013, 11:57 AM
Possibly some ferrules too.

adamsgolfer
11th December 2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks.

Ferrules I can get off ebay. Epxoy I suppose I can get from bunnings... is there a particular brand/type of epoxy that I need.

With regards to tip prepping shafts what do I need to do here? I assume pulls would already be tip prepped?

Once the install is done do I just wipe the glue away and let the things dry, is there some sort of a solution/sprit I need to clean them up?

adamsgolfer
11th December 2013, 12:07 PM
Oh and how do I make sure the shafts are centred?

chappy1970
11th December 2013, 01:12 PM
AG there are many very experienced hobbyist club builders on this site, at least a few in every state. Pulling steel shafts and installing new ones, at it's simplest form, is not a challenging exercise. To get everything looking professional takes some practice.

If you need assistance, I'm sure one of us can help out. Let the group know where you're located so the right member can give you some guidance.

Chappy

adamsgolfer
11th December 2013, 01:26 PM
AG there are many very experienced hobbyist club builders on this site, at least a few in every state. Pulling steel shafts and installing new ones, at it's simplest form, is not a challenging exercise. To get everything looking professional takes some practice.

If you need assistance, I'm sure one of us can help out. Let the group know where you're located so the right member can give you some guidance.

Chappy

Thanks.

I want them to look good (professional) when done which is why I'm hesitant but I'm on a budget.

I'm in Castle Hill if anyone can and wants to help out...

chappy1970
11th December 2013, 01:36 PM
AG there are some extremely capable fitters in your area

adamsgolfer
11th December 2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks, hopefully someone can help.

navierStoked
11th December 2013, 03:45 PM
As with everything, measure twice cut once and work in a clean space. Nothing can really go too far wrong and it is pretty rewarding building your own clubs

braddles
11th December 2013, 04:35 PM
There are some good videos on youtube showing the process. I have done quite a few sets of irons now - it is pretty easy!

Dotty
11th December 2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks.

I want them to look good (professional) when done which is why I'm hesitant but I'm on a budget.

I'm in Castle Hill if anyone can and wants to help out...
Send a PM to Stealth2, as he is close to you.

Alternatively, Virge666 is 45 mins away on the northern beaches.

3Puttpete
11th December 2013, 04:43 PM
Flowers, dinner, bubbles

liptout
11th December 2013, 08:53 PM
Like Dotty said, Stealth is at Castle Hill as well....

I'm only at Stanhope Gardens too, so if Stealth is busy I can take a look at them for ya.....

matty
11th December 2013, 09:16 PM
Liptout and Stealth knows their stuff. It's not rocket science. Once shown properly by someone who knows what they're doing it's pretty easy.

mrbluu
11th December 2013, 09:30 PM
Liptout and Stealth knows their stuff. It's not rocket science. Once shown properly by someone who knows what they're doing it's pretty easy. That's right Matty. AG if u do see liptout, make sure u get him to explain the importance of swing weights!!!

virge666
11th December 2013, 09:33 PM
I am also happy to help.

I like 150 lashes.

:)

mrbluu
11th December 2013, 09:41 PM
I am also happy to help.I like 150 lashes.:) Noice drop, they have them on tap a scr.

liptout
11th December 2013, 09:52 PM
Noice drop, they have them on tap a scr.

Hmmm, if that's the case it looks like I'm not heading off to work after we finish tomorrow....... :D

And, and

That's right Matty. AG if u do see liptout, make sure u get him to explain the importance of swing weights!!!

pfft,
Swing weight, schwing weight!! ;)

adamsgolfer
12th December 2013, 08:35 AM
You guys are brilliant, all the help being offered is awesome, thanks so much. I've got to get out and play some golf with you Sydney siders.

adamsgolfer
12th December 2013, 08:40 AM
Like Dotty said, Stealth is at Castle Hill as well....

I'm only at Stanhope Gardens too, so if Stealth is busy I can take a look at them for ya.....

Thanks mate. Stanhope is just around the corner and I pass through to get to work in Blacktown every day.... plus I have heaps of friends and family that live there and around the ponds.

I'll get in touch with you after xmas and maybe we can tee up a time to get these irons done. I'm stilll unsure whether to soft step or install all new shafts (pulls) but I guess it will depend on whether I can buy any pulls at a decent price.

What would I needs to supply, shafts (obviously), ferrules?, epoxy?

I can pick up some ferrules of the bay sometime this week and just start to have everything ready. Do I need collared ferrules?

adamsgolfer
12th December 2013, 08:48 AM
I found this info about my irons.... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/738057-cobra-amp-and-amp-forged-ironsdual-bore/

So what tip size shafts and ferrules do I need???

3oneday
12th December 2013, 08:49 AM
I buy mine from here, as do a few http://www.ebay.com/itm/350568303303

I have spares if you want, I also live in Blacktown and only drink TED's, so I'm cheapest :)

3oneday
12th December 2013, 08:51 AM
You may need shims to go with .355 tapers.

adamsgolfer
12th December 2013, 08:55 AM
I found this info about my irons.... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/738057-cobra-amp-and-amp-forged-ironsdual-bore/

So what tip size shafts and ferrules do I need???

My shafts are KBS Tour S+ which going by KBS website means they should be .355 taper http://kbsgolfshafts.com/shafts/kbs-tour

I don't know, just starting to get into this stuff and trying to understand.

adamsgolfer
12th December 2013, 08:57 AM
I buy mine from here, as do a few http://www.ebay.com/itm/350568303303

I have spares if you want, I also live in Blacktown and only drink TED's, so I'm cheapest :)

Thanks, all these golfers around my area and I often struggle to find someone to have a round with...

3oneday
12th December 2013, 09:03 AM
The ferrules I have would fit, I also have some flyscreen in the shed that you could use instead of shims.

I always like to compare shaft lengths from what I am pulling to what I am gluing, because some heads have differing bore depths as well.

adamsgolfer
12th December 2013, 09:17 AM
Oh I get it now. The bore size is larger than the shaft tip size so the shims take up the slack. Just learning this stuff....

So would the factory install have been done with shims as well?

chappy1970
12th December 2013, 09:34 AM
The ferrules I have would fit, I also have some flyscreen in the shed that you could use instead of shims.

I like this Pete, great idea

matty
12th December 2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks, all these golfers around my area and I often struggle to find someone to have a round with...

Start coming to the NSW Ozgolf days. The guys eventually start texting you to see if you have time for a round at other times too.

Hope to see you at the NSW Ozgolf champs in June.

matty
12th December 2013, 10:38 AM
I also have some flyscreen in the shed that you could use instead of shims.

Never thought of this. Great idea. Do you just wrap it around the shaft once or twice?

Could probably use other things found in bunnings if you looked hard enough.

3oneday
12th December 2013, 10:41 AM
Once is enough, best not to use 5 minute glue though :)

liptout
12th December 2013, 03:53 PM
re shims:

i was using fly screen, gyprock mesh etc etc.....

what i do these days, and it works awesome and hasnt even looked like failing is- some masking tape cut into 4 or 5mm stripes and wrapped around the shaft a couple of times to meet the thickness that you need.
i wrap it around the bottm of the tip, and another bit up around the where the toop of the hosel will be.......

dont know how it would go from .335 to .370 or something like that, but one jump in size works fine......

anybody else tried this method??

discovered it when i didnt have anything else to use and needed it done there and then.

liptout
12th December 2013, 04:01 PM
What would I needs to supply, shafts (obviously), ferrules?, epoxy?

I can pick up some ferrules of the bay sometime this week and just start to have everything ready. Do I need collared ferrules?

if your clever enough mate, you can get the heads off without destroying the ferrules..... ;)

but coloured ferrules can look pretty cool...

i personally go without ferrules these days, makes it look much cleaner.

matty
12th December 2013, 06:19 PM
Really? Will have to check that look out.

mrbluu
12th December 2013, 06:29 PM
Really? Will have to check that look out.

I reshafted a set of mizunos for golfwhang and they look hot!!!

solarbear
15th December 2013, 05:24 PM
AG there are some extremely capable fitters in your area

Hopefully they don't rip you off like the last time I had a shaft pulled. Charged $80 to reshaft a hybrid in steel, TT multistep. Did include shagt and grip, but still...

chappy1970
15th December 2013, 05:56 PM
SB that's about $30 more than I would have charged, but I do it as a hobby not my main source of income.

mrbluu
15th December 2013, 06:06 PM
Hopefully they don't rip you off like the last time I had a shaft pulled. Charged $80 to reshaft a hybrid in steel, TT multistep. Did include shagt and grip, but still...

Did he supply the shaft and grip?

Scifisicko
16th December 2013, 02:04 PM
re shims: fibreglass mesh drywall repair tape. Same as fly screen except sticky on one side.

solarbear
16th December 2013, 04:17 PM
Did he supply the shaft and grip?

Yeah... $20 at most shaft and $7 grip cost $80. I was kinda expectimg 50 or 60 so 80 was a bit of a shock.

Just means that I won't be buying things from him in the future. I kinda wish that club building was more accessable in Australia so I could learn to do it myself. If I lived in the states I'd be tinkering all the time.

mrbluu
16th December 2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah... $20 at most shaft and $7 grip cost $80. I was kinda expectimg 50 or 60 so 80 was a bit of a shock.

Just means that I won't be buying things from him in the future. I kinda wish that club building was more accessable in Australia so I could learn to do it myself. If I lived in the states I'd be tinkering all the time.

Ok. I was thinking retail a new shaft could be up to $50 and a new grip can be up to $15 (depends on the model).

Safe to say you won't be going back...

chappy1970
16th December 2013, 05:29 PM

SB you don't need to live in the States to tinker, there many on this site who do quite comfortably.

Getting the necessary bits and pieces together is not expensive to do some of the basic fitting. If you want to get a little more advanced, then some investment is necessary.

I've picked up some of the more advanced stuff relatively cheaply. Just takes patience and timing to get it second hand.

I think you may have got a bit of a bum deal with the hybrid shafting, but get in contact with some of the more experienced guys in your area from Ozgolf. They will be able to guide you in the basics

solarbear
17th December 2013, 06:43 AM
SB you don't need to live in the States to tinker, there many on this site who do quite comfortably.

cs

Its the lack of a one stop shop to get ferrules, glue, grips etc... like golfworks. Once you start paying shipping on each it becomes a bit annoying.

chappy1970
17th December 2013, 07:51 AM
We all started from nothing at some stage mate, all sounds a bit too hard for you I think

solarbear
17th December 2013, 12:39 PM
We all started from nothing at some stage mate, all sounds a bit too hard for you I think

I did my own grips recently and am set up for that. Miss the days of Ben's golfcomponents site. He had a good supply of everything. Wish golfworks would set up a base in australia, would be a hobbiests dream.

There used to be an older dude in Bathurst who did this sort of thing, a real nice fella, but the pro at the golf course bought the driving range too and now has a bit of a monopoly.

chappy1970
17th December 2013, 12:42 PM
Just jump on the next group buy from the US, will save you $ on postage.

timah!
17th December 2013, 01:46 PM
Shipping adds a bit, but I've just done an order for 17 grips, doz ferrules, couple of adapters, epoxy and some oem removal kits and it cost $50 to ship via UPS. Should arrive tomorrow which would be less than a week out of the states.
Even at $2 an item to ship, it's still cheaper than eBay (and I know the gear is legit) and retail.